How would you rate the episode?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

What in the world are they doing to the Penny character? We now have a drunken, thieving, parasitical bimbo. It seems that every episode they come up with another reason to dislike her. Take her back to the way she was in the first few seasons. If this is supposed her deteriorating because of breaking up with Leonard and seeing him with other women then for the show's sake, have them get back together. As it is going the only character I like less is Amy, because of some of her creepy stalker comments she makes to Penny.

Couldn't agree more.

Well I've been lurking here for some time, but I've finally been provoked to say something. Up, until now I have been able to accept (with a sense of resignation) the changes in direction BBT has made. In some ways, it's unavoidable, but the farther this season drags on the more apparent it becomes to me how badly this show is starting to detoriate.

Don't get me wrong I really didn't have much against season 4, and actually season 5 has had moments I've enjoyed. It's just not the same show anymore, and this episode really took the cake for me. Not one laugh whatsoever. As I watch seasons 1 through 3 I can't help but weep (metaphorically of course). I don't want to get in the habit of beating a dead horse, but....what was once a highlight of my day, has become a trivial parody of itself.

/rant

I didn't like the ending of this episode either. I expected Leonard to face up his old nightmare and show that he's now more than a shy little nerd stereoype, but they just made him ran away from the bully leaving him as the typical nerd stereotype.

The main reason TBBT is getting loose is because there is no development whatsoever on neither the characters or the plot. When they got tired of exploiting stories from 4 nerds and 1 blonde girl, they threw in other female characters but that just made the show louder, not better.

Only development I've seen in the show so far is the one about the relationship between Penny and Leonard, and that's even gone now. Raj still can't talk to girls, Sheldon can't maintain a normal social life and Leonard can't get himself out of the standard nerd model.

I'm not saying that the guys need to grow "out of nerd", but they need to grow up and become more detailed characters rather than showing same action/reaction based on simple characteristic tables.

http://www.fanforum.com/f312/episode-5-11-speckerman-recurrence-12-08-11-a-63032864/

Look at that total opposite viwpoint from the ladies at Fan Forum...it almost made me ill.

You can see none of them have a problem with the lesbian jokes, because they all make them too! It's hilariously funny...really? It's a girl crush? I know of no women that would sit there deadpan and say I was looking forawrd to being your cellmate in a creepy fashion that caused her friend to grimace.

All of them think this episode was GREAT...and Sheldon actually liked Leonard...really? They forgot to notice he was ripping Leonard?

And this was a great stance against bullying...did they not see that the bully's (Jimmy AND Penny) WON?? It is apparent non of those ladies were bullied in HS

That is the demographic Big Bang is catering to...the lovey dovey .avis and every other post is who wants who and love,love,love...our former resident everything is great with the world Pomita quickly went over there to profess her Jim Parsons love...I mean, dammit. This show jumped the shark, and I was delusional to think maybe it was not so...much like Happy Day fans tried to cling to the hope that Fonzi really didn't waterski over a shark in the cheesiest scene in TV history

Sorry, this show is lost, and it is apropo that the last episode I will probably ever watch is a perfect metaphor on how this show was bullied away from the geeks and nerds who made it what it was and turned it into a maninstream lazy bitter 'romantic comedy' for the nincompoop average TV viewer

I actually registered with that site but after 10 minutes reading the posts, I gave up and found this site. I couldn't deal with the threads...it's ridiculous. I agree, it's the lovey dovey stuff that people are looking for (on that site) and while I'm a fan of happy endings in books and tv, I value quality over poor writing. I just can't believe some of those posters...it almost made me ill reading their posts.

And by the way, what's up with all the emoticons? All the blinking, bouncing smiley faces nearly gave me a seizer.

I clicked on the link and read some of the posts again. Big mistake because all those women on that site...I weep for my gender.

I see I'm being remembered on this board in both good and bad ways. Regardless, 'everything is great with the world' is an epithet I accept with pleasure, though given in the snootiest way possible. :)

For what it's worth, this was my view of this episode, as posted on the 'other' board:

This episode was a bit of a mixed bag for me.. some lovely moments and one-liners, but on the whole the main plot with Speckerman didn't really do much for me. Blame it, maybe, on having once been the girl who got good grades and suffered in consequence (no cornfields, but you get the gist).. I was gung-ho till the point when Leonard decided to take a stand, but when they back-tracked and ran away at the end it left me with a slight sense of lack of closure. Though I agree it was realistic, as well as funny ('I just need to outrun you' ) but a part of me would have liked to see them come off as the heroes for a change!

I see I'm being remembered on this board in both good and bad ways. Regardless, 'everything is great with the world' is an epithet I accept with pleasure, though given in the snootiest way possible. :)

For what it's worth, this was my view of this episode, as posted on the 'other' board:

This episode was a bit of a mixed bag for me.. some lovely moments and one-liners, but on the whole the main plot with Speckerman didn't really do much for me. Blame it, maybe, on having once been the girl who got good grades and suffered in consequence (no cornfields, but you get the gist).. I was gung-ho till the point when Leonard decided to take a stand, but when they back-tracked and ran away at the end it left me with a slight sense of lack of closure. Though I agree it was realistic, as well as funny ('I just need to outrun you' ) but a part of me would have liked to see them come off as the heroes for a change!

We missed you here. Yeah "I just need to outrun you," has been funny since it began in vaudeville.

Yeah the ending was really just a rehash of 5.02. I would have like to have seen some growth, with the bully not winning this time.

Thanks wayelrob. :)

Yeah the ending was really just a rehash of 5.02. I would have like to have seen some growth, with the bully not winning this time.

Actually the parallel with Penny/Amy bolting down the stairs earlier was an association I enjoyed. What I didn't was the fact that he didn't successfully stand up to his bully after all, as you said. It's probably funnier this way, but less satisfying.

They should have the guys playing the brand new Star Wars Massively multiplayer online roleplaying game.... It makes sense they would be playing it right??:icon_cool:

And now its time for... Random Posting!!!post-2564-134808097481_thumb.jpg

Hi. I have been lurking on this forum. I have been so annoyed by this season and so annoyed by this particular episode that I felt I had to post.

I agree with most of what has been said here about how the show has completely changed direction in a way that is not good.

A few things:

How does someone with a PhD in physics not realise what will happen if you push someone twice as big as you in the chest?

In the real world, someone who has spent most of their childhood being physically bullied will probably take up a martial art or at least spend time at the gym getting in shape, or possibly take an assertiveness course. (This is what character development really is.)

I don't get the people on the other forum (or viewers in general) who think that Amy's come-ons to Penny just means that she wants Penny to like her. In the beginning, when Amy was calling Penny her "bestie", it was like that. Now, she is making obvious sexual comments to her that cannot be seen as anything but creepy (considering that Penny doesn't seem to be turned on by them). How can someone be so out of touch as to not recognize a blatant sexual come on. ("I want to be your cellmate." Really?.)

And getting back to the character development theme - if Amy really wanted to fit in with the popular girls, she could have worked on developing this part of her personality years ago. She is intelligent enough to be able to observe and copy other people's behavior. (She's a neurobiologist FFS - in a way, part of her job involves studying behavior). And how hard would it be for her to have picked up a copy of Vogue?

The impression that Amy gave when she first showed up on the TBBT was that she didn't care about these thing because she wanted to focus on science/her intellect. Why would this suddenly change?

If the writers want to show character development - let them do it realistically. Speaking as a 40-something lady, I can tell you that by the time you've hit your mid-20s or early 30s, if you continue to remain an antisocial geek it's because a) you have autism or asperger's, and even then you will probably have somewhat better social skills than you did when you were younger or 2) you just don't care.

I'm a brainy geek with an interest in science, but I also work out out every day, take care of my appearance, dress to flatter my body and have a decent social life. (I've had people ask me if I was a cheerleader in high school.* NOT! - so I can see how Bernadette and Amy could be mistaken about Penny.) I am also very happily married - to another geek who plays online games but also does kung fu (sparring with real people, not on a computer screen). This is what happens when people grow up.

Someone like Penny, on the other hand, might be taking continuing ed courses or going back to college part time so she could learn all of the stuff that she missed in high school because she was too busy partying.

Whatever your background, after a while you realize that a lack of skills -whether social or intellectual, hold you back, and you try to remedy that.

The one thing I liked in that episode was Amy's "Careful, or you'll wind up in a cornfield" comment. I liked the sarcasm; it shows intelligence.

The only character that I think has developed in a realistic way on TBBT is Howard. Yes, he used to be a womanizing jerk, but it was pretty clear that he was all talk and no action and underneath it all was insecure around women. His meeting and getting engaged to Bernadette seems to have been a natural progression. (I would like to see more about his upcoming mission on the ISS.)

Oh, yeah, Raj's continued mutism. It might be funny to some viewers, but it just doesn't make sense. The man is surrounded by scientists. His own father is a doctor. And this kind of thing is right up Amy's alley. Surely by now he would have been referred to someone who could help him.

I would also like to see Sheldon actually being intelligent again, instead of behaving like a child or like a bully.

I think that in TV programs, characters need to develop, but this needs to be done in a realistic way. Good examples of character development were seen on Friends. For example, Chandler feeling safer making a commitment to the point where he is comfortable and happy with marriage and children or Rachel's career development and her increasing assertiveness.

Completely changing a character's personality so you can squeeze in more jokes is not character development.

*I realize that my profile says that I am in the UK, but I have spent most of my life living in the US, hence the cheerleader comments.

• Like 1

Hi. I have been lurking on this forum. I have been so annoyed by this season and so annoyed by this particular episode that I felt I had to post.

I agree with most of what has been said here about how the show has completely changed direction in a way that is not good.

*I realize that my profile says that I am in the UK, but I have spent most of my life living in the US, hence the cheerleader comments.

Welcome Tiddles. You are obviously a smart lady and I am sure we are all looking forward to your opinions in the future.

I wouldn't count on much developement for the characters beyond accidental. The more the characters stagnate the longer Chuck and Co can drag the show.

I wouldn't count on much developement for the characters beyond accidental. The more the characters stagnate the longer Chuck and Co can drag the show.

Yeah that really doesn't matter. The show is sold through the 7th year. Contracts signed. And, I maintain there is no plan. They just write each episode as it comes.

Tiddles I agree that Amy's come-ons to Penny are getting old.... funny maybe the first time or 2 but it's definitely not something I like. For Penny to continue to not get them or ignore them seems silly... and Amy's obsession is more creepy than funny.

I think a good comparison can be made between this and the Howard-Raj bromance. That is funny because both guys seem to accept it.

Come to think of it, Penny not saying anything about it shows how the writers have changed Penny's character for the worse. Penny used to be a strong, outspoken woman who would say something if someone was making her uncomfortable.

Add me to that list. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Season 5 is lousy and The Speckerman Recurrence was the worst episode of the 99 that have aired so far. Hands down. Worst. Renaissance. Fair. Ever.

Caught up now on every episode that CBS aired & sad to say this will be the episode that I will skip when watching the DVD from this season! Not much to talk about as I thought it was an only "okay" episode. Come to think of it I should have voted "bad" in stead of "okay".

They could have made so much out of the bully stories, but let it slide into a totally different direction....shame.

Again with the stupid Amy remarks towards Penny...enough already most of us don't like it!!

Only had a laugh with the Wifi pw & Leonard shoving his bully

Actually, I think Leonard shoving his bully was the point at which I realised that I couldn't stand watching the episdoe. It was completely out of character and completely ignored Leonard's greater intelligence. Someone with a doctorate in physics would understand the relationship between force, mass and acceleration.

On the other hand, it would not have been out of character for Amy, who clearly has a very good working knowledge of human anatomy (as when she taught Sheldon how to give himself a massage), to have walked in, done some martial arts moves on the bully, and thrown him to the floor.

This was my least favorite episode to date. One that I never care to see again. Could say more but everything has been covered. A real disappointment.

Unfortunately E4 and Channel 4 seem to have screened this episode more than any other. *sigh* Quite funny line when Penny says "We could spend New Year's waiting for the ball to drop"; there's a pause and then Sheldon gets it and laughs :icon_lol:

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

my least favorite episode too, and I don't think it's gonna change. This is my "Cruciferous Vegetable" from this season. Never rewatched that episode. Not funny at all.

This one, I have only rewatched the girls parts. They saved it from being a total disaster.

• Like 1

my least favorite episode too, and I don't think it's gonna change. This is my "Cruciferous Vegetable" from this season. Never rewatched that episode. Not funny at all.

This one, I have only rewatched the girls parts. They saved it from being a total disaster.

My least favorite episode of all. Even more than the painful Leonard/Penny breakup episode. We have two channels in my area that rerun TBBT. If this one comes on I will change the channel.

I agree on both counts, Cruciferous being the only episode in season 4 that I've never rewatched.