Jim in Harvey

Convict13

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are a lot of differing opinions about whether Jim can carry it off or not. Playing Jimmy Stewart's famous role really is a large demand to make of any actor. On the Harvey poster comment thread, there are many people with reservations about whether someone who has been known to play 'only' Sheldon well, can do good with something so different and challenging.

As a fan, I will say I do believe in his talent - he even got excellent reviews for his small turn in Normal Heart - and wish him the best!

Yes, it will be very challenging to impress the critics. Funnily enough his personality (from interviews, can't claim to know him :icon_biggrin:) is closer to Elwood P. Dowd's than Sheldon. He has a pleasantness about him, so I can see why he was cast. Damn, I want to see it now.

@Kyxxz sorry for the confusion. So you wrote somewhere on the forum that you got tickets to a taping of a TBBT episode. I was asking if you met Jim or any member of the cast there.

Oh! Derp.

I've 'met' Kunal and Kaley for signatures. It's not personal or anything. Jim doesn't come out. Well, neither do Johnny, Simon, Mayim, or Melissa. Can you imagine Jim coming out? He'd get ambushed. :icon_eek:

I'm sure he would :icon_lol:....I was in fact meaning to ask did u get an autograph or took a pic with any of them. It must've been a great moment to get to see the show live :icon_cheesygrin:

YOU CAN NOT BRING IN CAMERAS, OR CELL PHONES

TO THE LIVE TAPING SHOW. THEY HAVE METAL

DETECTORS TO CATCH THEM COMMING IN.

Shel - good one!

There are a lot of differing opinions about whether Jim can carry it off or not. Playing Jimmy Stewart's famous role really is a large demand to make of any actor. On the Harvey poster comment thread, there are many people with reservations about whether someone who has been known to play 'only' Sheldon well, can do good with something so different and challenging.

As a fan, I will say I do believe in his talent - he even got excellent reviews for his small turn in Normal Heart - and wish him the best!

He has quite a long list of stage roles under his belt, he was a founding member of a theatre group, and after he graduated he was accepted into a special course, which only about 7 students were accepted into, it's associated with the Old Globe Theatre, which is classical theatre work. I do believe he has a Master of Fine Arts also. I think Harvey is in safe hands.

Yes, his masters was from University of San Diego. It's true that he has plenty of theater experience in his background (and I've seen some great reviews even of his earlier work). I'm guessing that most people don't know these things, and hence are second-guessing his turn as Elwood.

I've always loved the name of the Houston theater group which he founded - Infernal Bridegroom Productions!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting these vids. man, I wish I could see it. He looks great. I actually don't mind his hair long when it is combed this way. He seems perfect for this part. does anyone know if people post plays to youtube or is that not allowed? i would love to see some of the play.

Yes, the producers even said that, about Jim's natural charm.

Just for the record - we (I mean the fans) managed to get 'Happy birthday Jim Parsons' trending on Twitter at no.2. :)

Not number 1, but I did forget to tweet it myself.Wonder if he saw any of them?

There are usually a few clips released online, but certainly not all of the play. We saw some scenes of Normal Heart, for example.

I wish I was in the US. :(

I too wish I could get to see it, but not to be.

The National Theatre in the UK actually show their plays at movie cinemas, I'm going to see Frankenstein in June like that. It would be good if Roundabout Theatre did the same for "Harvey", but I doubt that will happen.

Just for the record - we (I mean the fans) managed to get 'Happy birthday Jim Parsons' trending on Twitter at no.2. :)

I doubt it, he doesn't seem to be a Twitter regular. One of the others (Kaley, Kunal, Bill) may have seen it and told him.

I doubt it, he doesn't seem to be a Twitter regular. One of the others (Kaley, Kunal, Bill) may have seen it and told him.

I know he has a Twitter under an alias that he's only used a few times to tweet to some athletes. I forget which interview it was, but I do remember that... lol.

I know he has a Twitter under an alias that he's only used a few times to tweet to some athletes. I forget which interview it was, but I do remember that... lol.

Seven times, to some athletes and a politician. He said that in his Attack of the Show interview earlier this year, and also mentioned it in his speech at the Tech awards.

I have an eidetic memory for Jim Parsons stuff (only). :p

Just read the story of Jim playing the role of Elwood P Dowd in Harvey next year on Broadway. Big fan of the movie and I think it's an excellent role for Jim to take on. Anyone planning on seeing it?

Yep! I'm going in June for a performance that will also have a talk with the actors after the show. :icon_cheesygrin:

P.S. The theater is just a few blocks from where I live, so if I like the performance, I may walk there and snatch another ticket for a "same day" show. The play is cute, I'm very curious to see what they make of it.

Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see Jim talk about Harvey after the shows begin.

Yep! I'm going in June for a performance that will also have a talk with the actors after the show. :icon_cheesygrin:

P.S. The theater is just a few blocks from where I live, so if I like the performance, I may walk there and snatch another ticket for a "same day" show. The play is cute, I'm very curious to see what they make of it.

Lucky you! Do report back. :)

This is a rather interesting interview of Jim, mainly about Harvey:

http://www.myroundaboutblog.com/?p=6756

I say interesting because some of the things he says while analyzing the character of Elwood reminded me strongly about our discussions here on 'normalizing' Sheldon. The discussion is oddly applicable to both characters, so much so that I feel like quoting that part here:

Q: One of the things I love, and I guess you could call it a deus ex machina, is when the cab driver comes in at the end and says, “Lady, after this, he’ll be a perfectly normal human being and you know what bastards they are!†I think that has a lot to say.

JP: I think you’re absolutely right. This idea of yes, you can change Elwood and you can make him more aware of all the things in the world that you want him to be aware of, but you need to understand that he won’t be the same. For any embarrassment or awkwardness he’s bringing to your life, there’s a good chance that if you take that away, you will also take away the joy and lightness that he brings to your life at the same time.

Q: Elwood’s really an amazing creation. The audience falls in love with him because he’s unconventional and yet, people still have issues with those who are different.

JP: There have been huge societal changes that have happened from 100 years ago and even 50 years ago, but it doesn’t seem to ever stop. It’s one of those ongoing, organic things; there’s always going to be differences between people. There’s always going to be another way of doing things that rattles your own and that needs further investigating on your part and, ideally, acceptance. I think that’s another reason this story survived so well — that conflict is forever. There’s always a battle for acceptance going on.

Sounds familiar?

Nice interview & truly interesting Pomita! Thanks for sharing :)

@BigBang LUCKY!! Have fun going ;)

Have been searching for some opening night reviews, but came up empty so far... will keep looking!

Yes, it's just previews now. I am reading a bit of praise for Jim's performance here and there, though.

I remember that for Normal Heart last year, reviews started coming out right after the first preview. But maybe that was because it was a more seminal play.

I believe the official premiere is in June (maybe June 14?). Right now it's just a "soft opening". I would expect more press after the premiere.

That's correct.

I'm seeing it on the 12th, but I assume it'll pretty much be how they want it by then. That was the show I had to pick where I could have the cheapest flight.