Jim in Harvey

Convict13

Thank you so much Pomita for this clip. It made my morning. I know I will never get to see this production so it is really special to have this to look at.

You're welcome. Same here. A little sad that this is all we'll ever get to see. :(

@Convict - I heard some people on the Broadway World forum commenting on her accent too. It seems to be some sort of European accent, probably normal for her.

I actually compared Jim's interpretation of the 'meeting Harvey' scene with Stewart's movie version. I do think Jim's is funnier. The original was more gentle and touching.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you so much Pomita for this clip. It made my morning. I know I will never get to see this production so it is really special to have this to look at.

You're welcome. Same here. A little sad that this is all we'll ever get to see. :(

@Convict - I heard some people on the Broadway World forum commenting on her accent too. It seems to be some sort of European accent, probably normal for her.

I actually compared Jim's interpretation of the 'meeting Harvey' scene with Stewart's movie version. I do think Jim's is funnier. The original was more gentle and touching.

Oh I'm going to have to do the same now. But you are right Jim's timing is spot on, look at the scene where he is talking to Harvey and then moves to his Aunt, his eye movement is perfect. And I watched Jim and Jimmy doing the same scene, ohhh I love them both, but JIm Parsons is the winner in his movements and timing in my eyes, and if you know me that is a REALLY BIG statement.

Oh I'm going to have to do the same now. But you are right Jim's timing is spot on, look at the scene where he is talking to Harvey and then moves to his Aunt, his eye movement is perfect.

Or the shot where he's sitting on a chair and discreetly passing something to Harvey beside him, watch his expression. The man is certainly a comedic genius.

A link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYU6mSIF8ww

While searching for the original movie clips, I found that some older version of the play has been recorded and uploaded on youtube. If only they would do that for this one, at the end of it's run! But I think it's unlikely, since it's Broadway.

Oh I'm going to have to do the same now. But you are right Jim's timing is spot on, look at the scene where he is talking to Harvey and then moves to his Aunt, his eye movement is perfect.

Or the shot where he's sitting on a chair and discreetly passing something to Harvey beside him, watch his expression. The man is certainly a comedic genius.

A link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYU6mSIF8ww

While searching for the original movie clips, I found that some older version of the play has been recorded and uploaded on youtube. If only they would do that for this one, at the end of it's run! But I think it's unlikely, since it's Broadway.

wish there was a "LIKE" button, thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much Pomita, I feel like I've seen it. :icon_cheesygrin:

I thought Jessica Hecht the red head was fantastic! is this the one with the accent being mentioning...? Wow, she is so funny. It's amazing to see Jim as Elwood in this short clip, never thought I would see any of it. As much as I adore him, I'll always prefer Jimmy Stewart's as Elwood though, just because I love the film so much and Jimmy is a legend without equal, IMHO.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Pom! thank you so much for that video :) I really really enjoyed it

You're welcome. I've been watching it several times since yesterday.. they way he says 'I thought nothing of it' cracks me up every time. :)

@Moonbase - I'm sure that's natural to feel, for a Stewart fan. Jim says he didn't even see the movie version (for fear of getting unconsciously influenced), so I guess one shouldn't even try to compare.. they're just different interpretations. But from the very little I've seen in clips, I get the feeling that Stewart's Elwood is more gentle and emotive, while Jim's is funnier. Some people on the Broadway World forum seem to think so too. Perhaps it's intentional on the part of this production, I don't know.

Yes, Jessica is the funny sister who is lucky enough to get a sweet cheek peck from Jim. :p

You're welcome. I've been watching it several times since yesterday.. they way he says 'I thought nothing of it' cracks me up every time. :)

@Moonbase - I'm sure that's natural to feel, for a Stewart fan. Jim says he didn't even see the movie version (for fear of getting unconsciously influenced), so I guess one shouldn't even try to compare.. they're just different interpretations. But from the very little I've seen in clips, I get the feeling that Stewart's Elwood is more gentle and emotive, while Jim's is funnier. Some people on the Broadway World forum seem to think so too. Perhaps it's intentional on the part of this production, I don't know.

Yes, Jessica is the funny sister who is lucky enough to get a sweet cheek peck from Jim. :p

Yes that sounds fair. I read somewhere that it was just an exact copy of Jimmy's portrayal. I don't see this at all. And since Jim avoided seeing the film I think that was an unfair comparison. He's definitely doing it in his own way. I think it's very good but very different.

Jimmy takes a human connection angle. The deliberate way he plays Elwood forces me to slow down my usual fast pace of thinking. Which takes effort. Jimmy's Elwood has time for people in a world where no one has time for anyone. He's gentle and profound. From what little you can tell from the clip, Jim's Elwood is definitely funnier and sharper. So both very good but different. 

It should be noted its a spoiler. So don't watch if you are going and prefer not to see. I'd still like to go! :icon_cheesygrin:

@Moonbase - yes, that's the way I'm seeing it too (though I haven't seen the full movie version yet, just some clips).

@BazingaFan - I would be over the moon if he manages a Tony nomination for his performance! I have no idea how his chances are, because I don't know about the competition from other plays and actors.

Harvey clip:

http://broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=382078

It seems delightful. Jim's physical comedy is spot on, as usual. :)

Thank you so much for sharing that clip! I really loved watching it :) Wouldn't it be great if they could upload the whole stage play like that so we could watch it that way....

A girl can dream right ....:icon_cheesygrin:

@Moonbase I wholeheartedly agree with your comment about Jimmy Stewart!! He is 1 of my very favorite actors & own lots of his movies..

Harvey clip:

Thank you so much for sharing that clip! I really loved watching it :) Wouldn't it be great if they could upload the whole stage play like that so we could watch it that way....

@Moonbase I wholeheartedly agree with your comment about Jimmy Stewart!! He is 1 of my very favorite actors & own lots of his movies..

I'm off on Sunday at a local movie theatre to see the National Theatre (Of Great Britain) stage presentation of "Frankenstein" with Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Lee Miller, it would be so good it they did the same sort of thing with Harvey.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Harvey clip:

I'm off on Sunday at a local movie theatre to see the National Theatre (Of Great Britain) stage presentation of "Frankenstein" with Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Lee Miller, it would be so good it they did the same sort of thing with Harvey.

Benedict Cumberbatch & Johnny Lee Miller are in the same play? wow. Funny considering they are both playing Sherlock Holmes on tv LOL

Watched 'Rear Window' this afternoon. Between my mums obsession with old movies and my dads Star Trek, Dr Who, sci-fi and comedy obsession, (He also collected comics) my sister and I didn't stand a chance. :icon_cheesygrin:

@ Convict13 My booking is for Thursday. Really looking forward to seeing Cumberbatch play someone other than Sherlock.

Some of the posters on this forum will be seeing Harvey soon as well.

@ Convict13 My booking is for Thursday. Really looking forward to seeing Cumberbatch play someone other than Sherlock.

I saw it today, WOW! The staging is amazing and the acting is breathtaking! He certainly is different than Sherlock. Now I want to see Johnny Lee Miller playing the monster.

Yes I am looking forward to more reviews on Harvey, 11 mins really isn't enough, wish I could see it. Perhaps Jim could do a "Frankenstein" next year, that gives him the time to get prepared as there is a lot of semi-nudity in Frankenstein.

I saw it today, WOW! The staging is amazing and the acting is breathtaking! He certainly is different than Sherlock. Now I want to see Johnny Lee Miller playing the monster.

Yes I am looking forward to more reviews on Harvey, 11 mins really isn't enough, wish I could see it. Perhaps Jim could do a "Frankenstein" next year, that gives him the time to get prepared as there is a lot of semi-nudity in Frankenstein.

LOL!

Watched 'Rear Window' this afternoon. Between my mums obsession with old movies and my dads Star Trek, Dr Who, sci-fi and comedy obsession, (He also collected comics) my sister and I didn't stand a chance. :icon_cheesygrin:

Sorry everyone for the OT..

:icon_cheesygrin: LOVE Rear Window ( what's not to like with the Hitchcock movies! )

Have you seen Vertigo? Another great one!

It's a wonderful Life, The Spirit of St. Louis, The man who knew too much, The Glenn Miller story....too much good ones & could go on & on here..

Have fun at your play later!

@Convict13 Happy yopu got to see a good play!

Harvey was amazing. The cast, set, everything, was absolutely breathtaking.

I was enthralled from start to finish. It captured the charm of the original movie and had some wit added to it. I like that in the play you do not see Harvey at all, unlike the movie where you do actually see him.

Jim was absolutely fantastic, but this is nothing we don't know.

You can tell that theatre is definitely his love. After seeing him in both environments, I would much, much rather watch him in a play than I would in a TV taping. There was just this spark and glow about him that was unparalleled by any of the times I've seen him before.

The presentation of everything seriously stole my heart. I did "lose" myself after intermission. I think I was drone-like for about 25 minutes, before I 'snapped' back. I am not easily swayed emotionally, but I felt like I was there. Like I was in the play. Like I was a part of the family. I think everyone else did, too.

If you were unsure of whether or not you wanted to make a trip to see this, I would sincerely recommend it. You will NOT regret it. There's not one bad seat in the house and it's comfortable/cozy. They also did cute little things, like using Jim's actual age and birthday in the show.

I waited by the stage door afterward, to see if I could meet him, but it was pouring rain. I was the SECOND person in this huge line of people. We waited an hour when he finally came out. People, of course, started to push and shove (when things like that happen I back off, because it's not worth it to me).

He did sign a few things but he skipped lots of people, and I was standing a few feet from him and from what I could hear, he was very, very humble. "Thank you so, so, so much for coming. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you."

Again, it was pouring rain, so I don't blame him for hopping in the car that quick. This is the third time he's escaped from me. But I am okay with it. :icon_cheesygrin:

PS: His haircut is very adorable.

PSS: I watched that 11 minute excerpt, and the delivery was *much* different when I watched it last night. Seems like they improved VERY quickly.

PSSS: I took this, thought it looked kinda cool.

zrset.jpg