Jim in Harvey

Convict13

Interesting observation. One doubt I have about this is, Jim didn't start rehearsing for the role of Elwood till after Season 5 ended. Could he have picked up a bit of him just by having read through the play/role?

I think it's not about Jim... It's about Sheldon... It's about what the writers and directot want... Sheldon had changed.

I'm sure that this is the case. Jim can't do anything wildly different from the writers' vision for Sheldon, so any change in the character has to be part of the story development, in the larger picture. I think what we're wondering is whether some subtle nuances of Jim's mannerisms in late Season 5 may have been influenced by his reading and understanding of Elwood - given that Sheldon is supposed to be taking baby steps into greater socialization, and the character of Elwood may indeed be looked at as the epitome of socialization.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having seen Harvey, I'd agree that at (very few) times you could see the 'Sheldon' of later seasons come through. The Weekend Vortex scene did not remind me of Elwood, though. Jim played Sheldon as being endearingly obtuse in that car scene with Amy, whereas he played Elwood as just sincerely affable throughout Harvey. It seemed different to me.

I think they have told Jim that Sheldon is changing, that he needs to react differently and that he needs to start bringing in different ticks and quirks to show this change.

I would think that most of such subtext choices are Jim's and aren't any kind of instruction from the writers. There may be some physical business suggested in the script--for instance, I think he said that the facial twitch thing that Sheldon does when he's stumped on a question or whatever, was originally written in the script--but as far as how he says a line or how he moves his body are most likely mostly his own choices, with maybe some direction and blocking from the director.