In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

Point out the Contradictions

Aevitas

Hey, guys. I've seen discussions about this peppered throughout several threads, but I haven't seen them compiled together, so I thought I'd start a thread. We know that the episodes are inconsistent with information and backstories, so let's take a look at them all in one place. You can try to defend or explain them if you like, my purpose is simply to discover more contradictions and see what other people think about them. Some of these I've read from other people's posts, others I've noticed as I watched the series straight through:

1) According to Leonard in Season 1, Sheldon has an asthmatic allergy to cats, yet Sheldon adopted 25 cats in Season 4. (only explanation would be they were all hypoallergenic...)

2) Sheldon has often said he never dances, yet does so in Season 1 at a dance lesson with the 3 other guys and in Season 4 with Penny, Amy, and Bernadette.

3) In Season 4, Sheldon says aside from relatives and a nun, he's never kissed another woman, but Leonard's mom kissed him in Season 3. (I suppose in this case, Leonard's mom kissed him.... if you want to get technical about it)

4) Sheldon is terrified of hospitals in Season 4, but in Season 2 he willingly goes to the hospital with Leonard's mom to get his brain scanned, visits Stephanie Barnett, and drives Penny with her dislocated shoulder to emergency with no problems.

5) Sheldon claims he doesn't trust banks in the Stan Lee episode, but he keeps old comic books in a safety deposit box at the bank (cricket episode), and in the episode where he lends Penny money, he mentions he keeps a savings account.

6) In Season 2, Penny mentions her dad's name is Bob, but in Season 4 when we meet him, his name is Wyatt.

7) In several episodes, Raj seems to always want to make more money and move out of his tiny apartment (e.g. selling the Lord of the Rings ring for a jet ski, selling their physics app for a lot of money), yet in Season 5, he has enough money to buy Emily a car, diamond earrings, etc.

That's all I can think of for now, feel free to add on to the list. :)

Here's some we've come up with in the past...

http://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/thread-1490.html?highlight=anomolies

And one we lost some sleep on...

http://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/thread-1584.html?highlight=anomolies

A number of statements about the boys are made during season one that eventually seem to contradict themselves in later seasons (as you've pointed out)

I (and others) put it down to a lack of consistency on behalf of the writers.

Interesting read. I wasn't even considering the scientific anomalies or set inconsistencies. xD I know that it's been pointed out that the writers seem to go on an episode-by-episode basis, which is disappointing, but I'm curious as to how many contradictions there actually are.

I just thought of two more overnight. When Bernadette gets her PhD, Howard asks her what kind of research she'll be doing and she said she volunteered for the premature ejaculation group, because "it's not like either of them has heart disease." However, we all know that Howard's family is the "history of heart disease" quoting Howard himself in the episode where his mom goes to the hospital. In earlier seasons also, Howard says he has transient idiopathic arrhythmia, which isn't really a disease, but certainly a sign that he could be susceptible to something later on.

Another one in Season 1 was when Penny spent the night on the couch at Leonard and Sheldon's apartment because of her slutty friend Kristy, and Sheldon told her she was sleeping on the couch wrong with her head closer to the door, when just a couple episodes ago when when Leonard was hooking up with Leslie Winkle for the first time, Sheldon was sleeping in the exact same way on the couch.

the dancing, i think you guys take his words a bit too literal

i think he meant at the moment penny asked him to dance with her

Not "never"

the sleeping (on his side), i don't think he ever mention how he really sleeps..i think it was just an assumption that you came up

the sleeping (on the couch), i don't really remember it, but he could've just passed out since he didn't even go to his OWN room to sleep. I don't believe he intended to sleep on the couch that night when leslie and leonard were hooking up

about the kissing, well Leo's mom and Sheldon kissing wasn't supposed to be mentioned ever again and Penny asked that and SHE was the only person that saw it...so im sure all three of them are taking it to their graves

banks, he doesn't trust banks that will handle them money since it is all machined.

"Sheldon doesn't trust banks because he believes that ATM machines will lead the charge of the robot armies when they revolt against humans."

Safety deposit boxes are not machined...he will have to open a box with a key

i would try to refute the cat scan hospital situation, but i am not sure how that works

not sure if some hospitals are just mainly cat scan rather than a hospital filled with ill-people

when i got an x-ray, i have to go to a specific place to get it

maybe leonard just said hospital cuz it's a general term

oh..look at that..i just refuted that LOL

the dancing, i think you guys take his words a bit too literal

i think he meant at the moment penny asked him to dance with her

Not "never"

I think he was pretty clear. He mentioned that he believes in the many worlds theory (multiple universes) and that he believes there exists an infinite number of Sheldons and that he could assure Penny that none of those Sheldons would dance.

Sheldon Cooper: Penny, while I subscribe to the "Many Worlds" theory which posits the existence of an infinite number of Sheldons in an infinite number of universes, I assure you that in none of them am I dancing. -source: imdb.com

the keyword dancing

dictionary for dancing: present participle of dance (Verb)

keyword of that definition present

therefore, he meant it at the time he said it to Penny

the sleeping (on the couch), i don't really remember it, but he could've just passed out since he didn't even go to his OWN room to sleep. I don't believe he intended to sleep on the couch that night when leslie and leonard were hooking up

Well, when Sheldon woke up in the morning, he had a blanket on top of him, which suggests that he had to get up from the couch to get a blanket and then return to the couch to sleep. I also don't understand why he didn't return to his room to sleep. Maybe this was before he got his noise-cancelling headphones, since this seems to be the first time in a long time that Leonard's brought a girl home.

I also thought of another one, although not that big. When Penny addresses Leonard as "honey" at the beginning of "The Pirate Solution," Sheldon and Howard note that it is a sign of an updated term of endearment to differentiate from "sweety", but throughout the series, she interchanges "sweety" with "honey" on several occasions, mainly with Leonard and Sheldon.

Sheldon Cooper: Penny, while I subscribe to the "Many Worlds" theory which posits the existence of an infinite number of Sheldons in an infinite number of universes, I assure you that in none of them am I dancing. -source: imdb.com

the keyword dancing

dictionary for dancing: present participle of dance (Verb)

keyword of that definition present

therefore, he meant it at the time he said it to Penny

So, you are going to use facts to back up your claim, eh? You may win this round.

However. I would be interested in understanding how Sheldon could claim to know that not one of an infinite number of Sheldons is dancing at that one specific instance in time, but still be willing to admit that one or more of those infinite Sheldons do in fact dance at other instances of time - especially as there is no correlation between the passage of time in one universe and the passage of time in another.

If Sheldon were to admit that other Sheldons do indeed dance at some time, and if there are indeed infinites Sheldons, then mathimatically, at least one Sheldon must be dancing in some universe at every instance of time. Infinity times any number, no matter how small, would still equal infinity.

So the only way that Sheldon could claim that "in none of them am I dancing" is if he assumed also that in none of them would he ever dance.

Your move, simonsayz

However. I would be interested in understanding how Sheldon could claim to know that not one of an infinite number of Sheldons is dancing at that one specific instance in time, but still be willing to admit that one or more of those infinite Sheldons do in fact dance at other instances of time - especially as there is no correlation between the passage of time in one universe and the passage of time in another.

my move?

it's simple..we aren't talking about other universes. we are talking about the time he said he isn't going to dance when Penny asked and the time he actually went dancing in THIS universe.

you're bringing up multi-universes to try to win your case when you are throwing a completely different debating topic

i NEVER claimed that he would be correct that all the other sheldon's wouldn't be dancing

i brought up the facts and according to Leonard "a fact is a fact"

4ofn, bringing up infinite universes to refute the fact that i gave factual references and quotes is a bit ...(lost for words lol :icon_cheesygrin:)

im not debating, im simply stating what you guys keep thinking that he said he NEVER would dance is false. And I was just clarifying that up.

Well, when Sheldon woke up in the morning, he had a blanket on top of him, which suggests that he had to get up from the couch to get a blanket and then return to the couch to sleep. I also don't understand why he didn't return to his room to sleep. Maybe this was before he got his noise-cancelling headphones, since this seems to be the first time in a long time that Leonard's brought a girl home.

that was a throw which isn't his usual comforter that he sleeps in

he could have gotten chilly while waiting/watching tv for Leonard and just passed out

im not so sure whats the contradiction with honey and sweety

alot of women say sweety or honey

most of the time when penny say sweety to sheldon it is some form of insulting/mocking him or just feeling bad for him

Penny called honey for a more bf/gf status

nothing contradicting about that...at least i don't think so

my move?

it's simple..we aren't talking about other universes. we are talking about the time he said he isn't going to dance when Penny asked and the time he actually went dancing in THIS universe.

you're bringing up multi-universes to try to win your case when you are throwing a completely different debating topic

i NEVER claimed that he would be correct that all the other sheldon's wouldn't be dancing

i brought up the facts and according to Leonard "a fact is a fact"

4ofn, bringing up infinite universes to refute the fact that i gave factual references and quotes is a bit ...(lost for words lol :icon_cheesygrin:)

im not debating, im simply stating what you guys keep thinking that he said he NEVER would dance is false. And I was just clarifying that up.

Sorry for bringing up that whole multiple universes thing. I have no idea why I even thought of ... wait a minute. I didn't bring that up. Sheldon brought that up. That dirty so-and-so - confusing our entire debate about what he said. I mean, if he hadn't gone and brought up multiple universes, we wouldn't even be debating about the implications of him bringing up multiple universes.

In any case, if you watch that episode again, you will see it in context. He not only said that he is not currently dancing in any universe (with the implication, I think, that he would never dance in any universe), but when Penny asked if he was fun in any universe, he said that "the math would suggest that in a few universes I am a clown made of candy, but" (Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I would ask you to listen carefully to the next piece of testimony) "I don't dance".

im not so sure whats the contradiction with honey and sweety

alot of women say sweety or honey

most of the time when penny say sweety to sheldon it is some form of insulting/mocking him or just feeling bad for him

Penny called honey for a more bf/gf status

nothing contradicting about that...at least i don't think so

What I meant by my statement was that I recall Penny calling Sheldon "honey" on certain occasions, contradicting the "'honey' is gf/bf status term of endearment" claim. She may have also called other people "honey," but I can only remember instances when she was addressing Sheldon.

LOL you guys take the characters' words to literal and serious

The only one big contradiction is when Sheldon put make up to scare Leonard

This is a fan site. Of course we take this stuff literally and seriously. It's not as if we have real friends and family and real things that we spend time on other than computers and TV shows or anything. Sheesh, its like you think we have actual real lives or something.

I suppose that it will have said, but if it is not thus: Sheldon in the first episodes of the Season 1 he doesn't knock the door saying "Penny, Penny, Penny".

thats because they weren't friends yet, they were acquaintances.

if that was a mistake/contradiction

then we can bring back when he knocked "a thousand times" because he was flash..he didn't do three but a lot of them

im not trying to refute all the contradictions, i believe some are there

I suppose that it will have said, but if it is not thus: Sheldon in the first episodes of the Season 1 he doesn't knock the door saying "Penny, Penny, Penny".

thats because they weren't friends yet, they were acquaintances.

if that was a mistake/contradiction

then we can bring back when he knocked "a thousand times" because he was flash..he didn't do three but a lot of them

im not trying to refute all the contradictions, i believe some are there

OK, I didn't notice about it. Thanks!:icon_wink:

Sorry if it sounded like I was nitpicking, my point was simply that it was still a multiple of 3. xD

But anyway, the only episode I can remember right now where he knocked 4 times was in "The Loobenfeld Decay," I guess when they were just starting to establish his knocking habit. One of these days, if I decide to do another marathon, I'll pay more attention to how the knocking developed into the one we're familiar with.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I forgot about this contradiction, but in Season 4, when Penny asked if Sheldon had ever been on a date before Amy, he said that this was his first date. However, in "The Psychic Vortex" in Season 3, he was with Martha. Arguably this could be considered not an actual date because Raj and Abby were also there, but he himself proclaimed, "HULK AGREE TO SECOND DATE WITH PUNY HUMAN!" meaning he considered it a date.

Another minor inconsistency is that Raj talked about how many servants his family has in India on several occasions, but the number keeps changing. In "The Work Song Nanocluster" in Season 2, he mentioned they had 4 (2 of them children), but in "The Benefactor Factor" in Season 4, he said they have "more servants than they can use." There might have been one more incident but I can't recall at the top of my head.

• 3 weeks later...

7) In several episodes, Raj seems to always want to make more money and move out of his tiny apartment (e.g. selling the Lord of the Rings ring for a jet ski, selling their physics app for a lot of money), yet in Season 5, he has enough money to buy Emily a car, diamond earrings, etc.

I think that's because Raj's parents still send him money and finance his stay in America. In a way he's still dependent on his parents' money. But Raj probably wants to start earning more of his own money so he has more control over what he can buy.

i would try to refute the cat scan hospital situation, but i am not sure how that works

not sure if some hospitals are just mainly cat scan rather than a hospital filled with ill-people

when i got an x-ray, i have to go to a specific place to get it

maybe leonard just said hospital cuz it's a general term

oh..look at that..i just refuted that LOL

That still doesn't explain how he readily takes Penny to the hospital in Season 3 when she dislocates her shoulder.