Point out the Contradictions

There's a straight up 4 knock from Sheldon in season 1 ep 5 when Leonard tries dating Leslie.

Sheldon races across to ask Penny about the tie on the door and simply knocks 4 times straight, minus the "Penny"s.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry if it sounded like I was nitpicking, my point was simply that it was still a multiple of 3. But anyway, the only episode I can remember right now where he knocked 4 times was in "The Loobenf

This is deeply sad, but for me the illusion was shattered when I noticed that when they walk up several flights of stairs to the apartment, it's the same flight they use over and over...

I find it annoying when I notice they only walk up two flights of stairs and suddenly they are at their apartment but according to the number of flights they walked they aren't there yet

There's a straight up 4 knock from Sheldon in season 1 ep 5 when Leonard tries dating Leslie.

Sheldon races across to ask Penny about the tie on the door and simply knocks 4 times straight, minus the "Penny"s.

he was in a rush, since he didn't know the protocol..the 4th was by accident :icon_cheesygrin:

and he didn't say penny because all he could think about was the tie

My Take:

1: Valid point.

2: This is an instance of semantics. Sheldon doesn't dance, doesn't mean he doesn't know how.

3: See the semantic argument you brought up.

4: Good point. This is defiantly something the writers fluctuate on.

5: He doesn't trust banks to keep his money safe (since the main purpose of a bank is to take your money and use it to invest, which I'm sure Sheldon doesn't think anyone at the bank is intelligent enough to properly invest his money, and finds the usual 1% or less return negligible) they don't keep everyone's money in piles in the vault. However, when you put something in a safe deposit box, that's it, they keep it in the vault and wait for you to come get it. How he arranged payment for it (or any of his bills) is beyond me.

6: Could be a southern thing

7: There's a differrence between his money and his parent's money. Maybe he has bonds and other things that were his savings, and he did a stupid thing and just cashed it in for "love". Once his parent's were about to cut him off (remove his access to that kind of obscene cash flow), the little gold digger dumped him like yesterday's garbage.

I could be nuts, but that's how I see it.

5: He doesn't trust banks to keep his money safe (since the main purpose of a bank is to take your money and use it to invest, which I'm sure Sheldon doesn't think anyone at the bank is intelligent enough to properly invest his money, and finds the usual 1% or less return negligible) they don't keep everyone's money in piles in the vault. However, when you put something in a safe deposit box, that's it, they keep it in the vault and wait for you to come get it. How he arranged payment for it (or any of his bills) is beyond me.

Actually a while ago, I just rewatched the episode where Sheldon lends Penny a bunch of money and he mentioned he keeps his money in a savings account, a container guarded by snakes, and Green Lantern's hollowed out butt. So now we do have a valid contradiction.

Actually a while ago, I just rewatched the episode where Sheldon lends Penny a bunch of money and he mentioned he keeps his money in a savings account, a container guarded by snakes, and Green Lantern's hollowed out butt. So now we do have a valid contradiction.

hmm..good observation, but let me that that valid contradiction into invalid by "assuming"

The episode when he lent money to Penny was Season 2 ep 14

he said a SMALL savings account meaning he doesn't have much money in there

the part where he said he doesn't trust banks was Season 3 ep 16

therefore, he could've thought for a whole year that he decided to take out his money and close his small savings account because he no longer trust banks

:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this was already posted somewhere else on the forum:

In The Loobenfeld Decay (Season 1) Sheldon hires an aspiring actor to play his (non-existent) drug-addicted cousin. Sheldon and the actor get into an argument about the method of acting that is being used, with Sheldon being his usual know-it-all self and sounding like he is an expert on acting. Sheldon knows acting jargon and it appears that he has spent some time learning about the craft (at least from an intellectual standpoint).

In the The Thespian Catalyst (Season 4) Sheldon at first scoffs at Amy's suggestion that he study acting. He acts like it is beneath him. When he does take a lesson with Penny, we can see that he doesn't know anything about acting.

In the pilot episode as they are trying to enter Kurt's Apartment building Leonard says...."If I were to give up at the first little hitch I would never have been able to identify the fingerprints of String Theory in the aftermath of the Big Bang."

The problem with that line is that Sheldon is actually a Theoretical Physicist and he is working on String Theory and Leonard is an Applied Physicist and he wouldn't be working on the type of physics problem.

That error can be forgiven since it was the pilot episode and not all the nuances of the characters had been sorted out at that point.

I suppose that it will have said, but if it is not thus: Sheldon in the first episodes of the Season 1 he doesn't knock the door saying "Penny, Penny, Penny".

thats because they weren't friends yet, they were acquaintances.

if that was a mistake/contradiction

then we can bring back when he knocked "a thousand times" because he was flash..he didn't do three but a lot of them

im not trying to refute all the contradictions, i believe some are there

OCD doesn't typically become better or worse based on familiarity with another. It may go more noticed, but not change in its severity.

I suppose that it will have said, but if it is not thus: Sheldon in the first episodes of the Season 1 he doesn't knock the door saying "Penny, Penny, Penny".

thats because they weren't friends yet, they were acquaintances.

if that was a mistake/contradiction

then we can bring back when he knocked "a thousand times" because he was flash..he didn't do three but a lot of them

im not trying to refute all the contradictions, i believe some are there

Also, noting that he knocked repeatedly as the Flash IS pointing out a contradiction, not a refutation of one.

7) In several episodes, Raj seems to always want to make more money and move out of his tiny apartment (e.g. selling the Lord of the Rings ring for a jet ski, selling their physics app for a lot of money), yet in Season 5, he has enough money to buy Emily a car, diamond earrings, etc.

I think that's because Raj's parents still send him money and finance his stay in America. In a way he's still dependent on his parents' money. But Raj probably wants to start earning more of his own money so he has more control over what he can buy.

i would try to refute the cat scan hospital situation, but i am not sure how that works

not sure if some hospitals are just mainly cat scan rather than a hospital filled with ill-people

when i got an x-ray, i have to go to a specific place to get it

maybe leonard just said hospital cuz it's a general term

oh..look at that..i just refuted that LOL

That still doesn't explain how he readily takes Penny to the hospital in Season 3 when she dislocates her shoulder.

My main concern with that episode is why would someone of Sheldon's intelligence judge one chair cleaner than another based on gross examination. We're talking microscopic organisms Shelly!

Great thread Aevitus & long overdue!

Thanks, I love sharing observations. :)

I came across another one as I rewatched Season 2. In The Cushion Saturation, Sheldon claims he doesn't eat in his desk chair or work in his "spot," but in the Cooper-Nowitzki Theorem, he's working on his laptop in his "spot" while Ramona is massaging his feet. I understand that was arranged so that Ramona would be able to massage his feet, but considering his complete opposition to eating his Thai food in his desk chair, logically he would've made Ramona pull a chair up to his desk instead.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned the fact that in the Dead Hooker Juxtaposition, Sheldon states clearly that Penny doesn't jog but then in the Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification Howard states that Penny jogs. Ok, easily explained away: she took up jogging. The MAIN CONTRADICTION has been between seasons 1-4 where Sheldon who has a working knowledge of the universe & everything it contains & season 5 where our genius cannot figure out how to get a bird off his window ledge. So sad.

Interesting thread. This just occurred to me this week as I watched the new episode: When Raj asks what they are both bad at, Sheldon and Kripke both say "Sports", but in "The Friendship Algorithm", we find out that Kripke likes rock climbing and (I think) skiing. Both of those are sports, I believe. While he might not be good at basketball, all he would have had to do was challenge Sheldon to rock climbing and he would have won.

I'm not complianing, because the basketball scene is one of the funniest I've ever seen!

Another contradiction or incongruity is in the second episode of season 1 we see Sheldon sneak over to Penny's apartment to clean. The next morning Penny flips out about them being in her aprtment while she was sleeping.

Yet in another episode, can't remember which, Sheldon finds out that Penny is the "Milk Thief" and she was the one who had gone into their apartment to "borrow" some milk when they were not home.

You would think Sheldon would not have gotten upset with her seeing that He had also gone into her apartment without permission.

Another contradiction or incongruity is in the second episode of season 1 we see Sheldon sneak over to Penny's apartment to clean. The next morning Penny flips out about them being in her aprtment while she was sleeping.

Yet in another episode, can't remember which, Sheldon finds out that Penny is the "Milk Thief" and she was the one who had gone into their apartment to "borrow" some milk when they were not home.

You would think Sheldon would not have gotten upset with her seeing that He had also gone into her apartment without permission.

Yes, but remember Sheldon operates by his own rules. Sneaking into her apartment to clean, in his mind, was perfectly reasonable, since he was improving her condition and helping him be able to sleep. But when she "stole" the milk, she was not benefiting him at all. In Sheldon's world, this was not a contradiction.

Not to mention that when Sheldon sneaked into clean Penny's apartment, they had just met (episode 2 of Season 1), whereas Penny sneaking into their apartment happened after knowing each other for maybe a year (in Season 2). Since they're more comfortable with each other, it's not as invasive to enter a friend's apartment when they're not home.

I think one of the beauties of Sheldon is his ability to rationalize & justify his actions while invalidating those of others even though they seem to be exactly the same. For an example I would direct you to the Zazzy Substitution wherein a criticism of Physics from Amy (& this why I love her) causes Sheldon to excise her completly from his life whereas his criticism of others is supposed to be met with gratitude something akin to what a 16th century peasent might show to Elizabeth I.

Not to mention that when Sheldon sneaked into clean Penny's apartment, they had just met (episode 2 of Season 1), whereas Penny sneaking into their apartment happened after knowing each other for maybe a year (in Season 2). Since they're more comfortable with each other, it's not as invasive to enter a friend's apartment when they're not home.

It should also be mentioned that Penny rarely knocks before entering the guys apartment.

I was watching Season 1, Episode 6 (The Middle Earth Paradigm). Everyone was in Penny's apartment for a Halloween party and Sheldon made a comment and used the phrase 'Oh Snap'.

However; later in Season 3 (I believe) when Howard got the Mars Rover stuck in a ditch and they are trying to figure out how to get it out, Raj makes the comment 'Oh Snap' and Sheldon responses with 'Snap what?' as if he had never heard that phrase before.

Maybe his eidetic memory is selective for information he finds useful.

Maybe his eidetic memory is selective for information he finds useful.

I think it's more the fact that the writer's eidetic memories are crap.

Ha! But let's not be too cruel. They have given us some good moments. In the past. I just wish they would watch some of those old episodes & realize that they are writing for a character for whom traits, a history, for whom an identity has already been developed. But I've been repeating this in so many threads now, so I digress.

I agree the writing is mostly solid... just a little inconsistent.

Agree? I didn't say the writing is solid. WAS solid, yes. There is not a single sitcom out there that makes me laugh, aside from this one (& only on occassion, at that!). Maybe I've come full circle. Maybe I'll check out one of those Tyler Perry sitcoms. Maybe he's doing something funny over there. Maybe... maybe! Maybe I'm starting to crack up. Ha! Tyler Perry. That's a good one.