Raj minus the mutism

Had Raj's character not suffered from selective mutism right from the very start of the series, and he was able to speak normally in front of everybody, do you think his character would have still worked?

I think Raj's character would still be entertaining on the show without the mutism. Although the Raj/Howard dynamic might have suffered a little.

I think that "not being able to speak to girls" is a real attribute of many of us nerds and so has a very real place in the original show. The idea of alcohol unlocking the social side is also very real (I never drank when I was young and I remember a roommate once asking me how I could have ever lost my virginity without being a drinker).

I guess I would have preferred it to not be pathological and so extreme though. That way Raj could have overcome it now and then to have the occasional, and completely awkward, conversation with girls.

The scene with Penny talking to Raj in the hall after the guys cleaned her apartment was fabulous - as was the following conversation with the guys where Raj hugged Howard. That could never have existed without his mutism.

I think without Raj's mutism he would have developed into a very different character and I don't really think it would have been for the better of his character either. He can already be a complete idoit/jerk with a little acohol allowing him to talk, I think he would have been even more of one without his mutism.

I agree with 4ofN though, I with he could occasionally overcome it.

I think the Howard and Raj scenes have worked well because of his mutism. But I do think they should have worked in a catch that he can talk to a girl once he knows her well enough or if she's dating one of his friends "because they're like my sisters now" or something. They still get to use the mutism on occasion but he can talk to Penny, Bernadette and Amy giving him more lines.

• 1 month later...

Well, Raj not being able to talk to girls is probably a result of being overwhelmed by them in America. I can imagine that back in India Raj is used to bossing girls around, telling them what to do and what not to do. He's got a hint of the chauvinism that many (if not all) Indian men have. I can imagine the freedom and equality he sees in Western girls could cause him to be wary of them.

I know it's a gross generalisation but this is just my theory, having grown up in India and seen how middle class boys (just like Raj's character) react when they go abroad to study.

see how sweet Raj can really be. :)

Yeah, like screwing your friends ex-girlfriend in his own bed after she has just confessed she still has feelings for him. Sweeeet!

C'mon, he's not all bad! :icon_cheesygrin: Leonard slept with Raj's sister and plus, he's got selective mutism! He just wants to be looooved. :p They've all done their fare share of bad and good. It happens! :icon_cheesygrin:

Leonard slept with Raj's sister

It is not the same thing, if you are Leonard. Raj is going to have to grow up and accept that someone is going to be sleeping with his sister. In the long run, it would be better if he and that person were friends. It didn't work out that way, however. Imagine if Priya married Speckerman, would that be better for Raj?

I don't know why women have such a hard time understanding a guy's point of view on this. Try this thought experiment:

Tell your boyfriend that you are going away on a weekend ski trip with your brother. What is his reaction?

Now tell your boyfriend that you are going away on a weekend ski trip with your ex-boyfriend(or really any other guy). What is his reaction?

The difference is that Raj and Leonard can never be rivals for Priya, but Raj and Leonard can certainly be rivals for Penny.

The premise of the show is Leonard & Penny. By having the Raj/Penny tryst, and having Leonard just bend over and take it, IMHO they have ruined the show.

he's got selective mutism! He just wants to be looooved.

Ooooo, he's a fixer-upper. I am surpried that they don't have some girl trying to "fix" him. What's one more cast member at this point?

see how sweet Raj can really be. :)

Yeah, like screwing your friends drunk ex-girlfriend in his own bed after she has just confessed she still has feelings for him. Sweeeet!

Ruined Raj for me, forever. The whole of season 4 turned his character into a very dislikeable person and removed any empathy for his difficulties. 4x24 and 5x1 finished the job. Wouldn't care if he got deported.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't Leonard go behind raj's back with priya when he said hands off looks like Leonard can't have it both ways, but at some point I'd like to see raj be cured, he's hung out with penny for 5 seasons, Bernadette since season 3 and amy since season 4 with that much female interaction that are friends and your friends gfs wouldn't he at some overcome this.

• 2 weeks later...