Shel_Ra_Ho_Le

5.12: Shiny Trinket Maneuver (Jan 12th 2012)

How do you rate the episode?   13 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the episode?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

75 posts in this topic

Posted

A hit series can do a lot for one whose appearance suggests the cliche starving actor. Although this added weight seems to have come with an unwelcomed friend, namely the acne on Jim Parsons face which the writers were considerate enough to subtely lampoon in "the Friendship Contraction"... anyone wanna take Sheldon to the "dermatologist?"

Jeez. No wonder the actors are so sensitive about their looks...understandble considering people nit-pick everything about them. Jim Parsons is a human being (a beautiful human being, but still a human being), and is subject to the same physical issues that befall every person. I always thought Jim was a little too skinny in earlier episodes, so the added muscle/weight makes him look better than ever in my opinion. I haven't even noticed the acne because I am always looking at his beautiful blue eyes. lol.

Posted

A hit series can do a lot for one whose appearance suggests the cliche starving actor. Although this added weight seems to have come with an unwelcomed friend, namely the acne on Jim Parsons face which the writers were considerate enough to subtely lampoon in "the Friendship Contraction"... anyone wanna take Sheldon to the "dermatologist?"

Jeez. No wonder the actors are so sensitive about their looks...understandble considering people nit-pick everything about them. Jim Parsons is a human being (a beautiful human being, but still a human being), and is subject to the same physical issues that befall every person. I always thought Jim was a little too skinny in earlier episodes, so the added muscle/weight makes him look better than ever in my opinion. I haven't even noticed the acne because I am always looking at his beautiful blue eyes. lol.

Listen! I think he is beautiful! Although, for the sake of comedy, I do prefer him "insect" skinny. And might I also point out that I didn't write the "dermatologist" line. If I am the one who noticed the acne, it's surely from paying him more attention than I should.

Posted

I personally think weight/acne is moot when talking about comedy on tv. Writers can use ANY changes to a person's body to make it funny. Even changes that are imaginary, like on Friends, when Monica was talking about what would happen if she gained a lot of weight during pregnancy, Chandler didn't know that's what she was talking about and thought she was thinking of having cosmetic surgery for her feet. Pretty funny stuff and there was no actual weight gain.

Besides, I personally think Jim looks better with a few more pounds. He looks healthier. The only think about his appearance I would nit-pick over is whatever they're doing to his hair this year. It just seems off, almost plastic like...are they putting a lot of gel in it?

Posted

I personally think weight/acne is moot when talking about comedy on tv. Writers can use ANY changes to a person's body to make it funny. Even changes that are imaginary, like on Friends, when Monica was talking about what would happen if she gained a lot of weight during pregnancy, Chandler didn't know that's what she was talking about and thought she was thinking of having cosmetic surgery for her feet. Pretty funny stuff and there was no actual weight gain.

Besides, I personally think Jim looks better with a few more pounds. He looks healthier. The only think about his appearance I would nit-pick over is whatever they're doing to his hair this year. It just seems off, almost plastic like...are they putting a lot of gel in it?

Wait! You mean you think Friends was funny?

Posted

If parsons had a acne or anything else it would happened a couple years ago when he started get awards, if he did have acne breakout we don't know what the cause(genetics) and if Jim is putting on weight maybe he's taken better care of himself.

Posted

I agree that he's looking better (looking wonderful) now, though less Sheldonesque in a tall skinny praying-mantis way. As for the acne, he's always had it a bit, I don't think it's new.

Posted

I have added the episode poll to the the thread. Before Christmas we were adding polls to the episode threads as they aired, but I completely forgot about it over the Christmas break. I'll add polls to all the episodes I missed and try get back to adding them each week as the episodes air.

Posted

Any idea what that tiara would have set Sheldon back?

Posted

Didn't the salesman say a price for one of the jewerly it would be alot more? Unless Sheldon has a lot of money saved I'm not sure he could buy a watch and a tiara, I'd bet some engagement rings would cost as much as the tiara.

Posted

Didn't the salesman say a price for one of the jewerly it would be alot more? Unless Sheldon has a lot of money saved I'm not sure he could buy a watch and a tiara, I'd bet some engagement rings would cost as much as the tiara.

Yeah he said 750 for the bracelet. I'm guessing a gold pocket watch wouldn't be that much.

Sheldon's got money because he only spends half of what he earns. But no idea on a tiara though...

Posted

Maybe he finally cashed all those cheques he's been keeping in his desk drawer. ;)

Posted

They should do a story about his weight gain. The way (I'm revealing this & all be damned) ... the way Designing Women did when Delta Burke gained weight. And they should call it The Expansion Admission.

Posted

Mayim is great at describing their experiences during taping.. she goes into the heart of why they were made to act/behave the way they did.

Posted

Thought this episode was great

Penny and Sheldon are very good comedy double and Sheldon is very good with Amy considering he has only ever had to think about himself, a learning curve i guess

Posted

Thought this episode was great

Penny and Sheldon are very good comedy double and Sheldon is very good with Amy considering he has only ever had to think about himself, a learning curve i guess

I really enjoyed reading Mayim's discussions of how an actor works, thanks so much for posting that. I think though, she was far funnier in The Isolation Permutation and she should have submitted that episode for the Emmy, she had so many comic scenes & with pathos in the latter.

Posted

Oh she was great in the Isolation episode as well

I follow Mayim on twitter and she always posts lots of interesting topics

Posted

I loved this episode!! I think Mayim's scene with the tiara was excellent--Amy would have an over-the-top reaction because, again, it's the kind of thing she might have fantasized about as a child, but never had. Her line, "I'm a princess and I have a tiara!" or whatever, is the telling point of her reaction.

As for those whomsaynthat she shouldn't or wouldn't have forgiven him so easily, again, it was the fantasy that swayed her. When she was first opening the bag, she was prepared to scold Sheldon over the idea that she could be assuaged with a cheap gesture, "Jewelry? really?", but because she never would have expected to have her princess fantasy fulfilled, the reality put everything aside.

And I especially loved Sheldon's "You're right--a tiara was too much...". :icon_lol:

That also makes me think that Penny had suggested something simpler, like a bracelet or a necklace, but that it was Sheldon who chose the tiara. Hmmm...maybe he understands Amy more than he or anyone else realizes. :icon_wink:

Just like the pocket watch fulfilled a fantasy for him "I look like a train conductor", the tiara fulfilled Amy's fantasy.

Pretty fitting.

As for those who were complaining about Bernadette's story about children contradicting what she had said earlier about her experiences with children, I don't see that there's really a contradiction. If her mother ran an illegal daycare, it doesn't mean that she did it through all of Bernadette's childhood or adolescence. It's really a minor thing for people to get hung up on, IMO.

Anyway I love this episode!

phantagrae, dana1010 and joyceraye like this

Posted

Also probably nobody has every bought her something as nice as a tiara before and she comes across as somebody who has not had any close friends which shows in her sometimes overthetop adoration for Penny

joyceraye likes this

Posted

Wait, Sheldon and Amy go to the zoo to look at koala bears sometimes? Now that's an episode I'd watch!

joyceraye likes this

Posted (edited)

There's a huge contradiction here.

Sheldon strongly objects to magic tricks, on the grounds they are dishonest, yet he's a huge fan of Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings, both of which are about magic.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
joyceraye likes this

Posted

35 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Sheldon strongly objects to magic tricks, on the grounds they are dishonest, yet he's a huge fan of Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings, both of which are about magic.

That isn't a contradiction. Magic tricks in real live are not real magic. Magic in fictional realms are real within the boundaries of the story. When Harry Potter casts a spell he actually casts a spell in the story and doesn't use some light effects to trick his enemies into thinking he's casting a spell.

spidergirl and Jonny like this

Posted

Yeah the real life stuff is basically illusions if you were to break it down, the art of deception in a way and tricking the mind. Gandalf, Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, some of Sheldon's comics etc and magic in the fictional sense that's like channeling raw energy, casting actual spells. So way more appeal there.

spidergirl likes this

Posted

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

The books are about real magic, whereas magic tricks are just that. A conjurer pretending to children that he can perform magic smacks too much of deception for Sheldon. For him something has to be fact or fiction : blurred lines and confusion won't do.