The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sword Master

Voice changes

Is it me or Sheldon and Penny sounded differently in the first season? Sheldon was speaking normally and he wasn't trying as hard to sound like a child. Penny's voice was soft and she was pretty much whispering in some parts, she seemed more relax back then, the way she talks now annoys me, she kind of speaks like a dude now.

Every now and then, I've found Sheldon's vocal tone changes a little bit. Kinda goes a bit deeper than normal.

Just the odd word or two, then it goes back to "Sheldon range".

Voices, in reality, change with situtations and that's how I view it in the show. Its easier to hear with female voices than male ones. If a female is excited about something her voice may be higher when she is talking or if she is shy or nervous, which I bet Penny would be in the first couple of episodes- meeting her neighboors and asking for a favor already, her voice may be quiter. I think now that Penny is comfortable around the whole gang she just talks in her normal pitch which is a bit lower than expected.

A few times I thought my ear were deceiving me, but no, Sheldon's/Jim's voice does got down an octave every so often, and its not just in Season 1 either.

You're right about Penny, but it's not just her voice, her character has changed dramatically since season 1. She's gone from bubbly and kind of ditz-y, to sarcastic and occasionally violent. lol

I always felt like Raj sounded progressively more Indian as the seasons went on.

I also agree with realworld, people have different voices they use for different things. I have my family voice, my hanging out with friends voice, my work voice, being a manager firm voice, bubbly voice, etc. They just happen. I always just thought it made the show a little more realistic to me.