A beautiful book about Asperger syndrome

"All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome" is a beautiful children's book that has recently been short listed for book of the year over here in Australia.

My dad was given a copy as a gift and it is a beautiful read.

http://specialchildren.about.com/od/booksonaspergersyndrome/gr/allcatshaveAS.htm

It uses photos of cats to illustrate certain characteristics of the condition.

Great for anyone suffering from, or caring for someone with Aspergers.

I can see why Jim Parsons asked whether or not Sheldon has Aspergers. There are many many similarities throughout the book.

One critic states on the back cover "Everybody should read this book at least once."

I have to agree. It's a great read.

I want to read this; I am on the autistic spectrum and after much tweeking wouldn't say I suffer from it anymore; I would say I benefit from it!

Humans can learn languages, people on the autistic spectrum can learn the language of people who are neurologically typical.

Plus the brain recently has been thought by some scientists to be more like a muscle; i.e you exercise it, keep pushing and you can raise your game. To quote The Untouchables Elliot Ness "Never stop fighting till the fight is done"

Matt

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a good book, except... "suffering from" Asperger's? That makes it sound like a disease. If the book approaches Asperger's as an "affliction," I would not agree that that is the most constructive message.

I actually feel that THE BIG BANG THEORY is a very positive educational tool for aspies. Already I have heard reports about young aspies who, instead of being bullied, are being kidded by their classmates because they are like Sheldon. In fact, that was how I first heard of the show -- through an online discussion group where several aspie teenaged boys were talking about how much better life had become for them since their classmates started joking about how "Sheldon" they were, instead of beating them up. "Sheldon" made aspies funny and sympathetic, and that was already affecting some young aspies' lives. "Who is this Sheldon?" I wondered.

Thank you for the tip about the book.

I absolutely know that Sheldon has Asperger's Syndrome, because my 13 year old son and Sheldon are one and the same! I will often let my son watch this show (even with the adult content) because he so totally identifies with Sheldon, and I view Sheldon as such a positive role model for my son because even with all his quirks, Sheldon is a lovable and wonderful character. I am so grateful for this show for so many reasons, but the main reason is that I can show my son that there are other people in the world out there just like him, who not only survive, but THRIVE.

Thank you Big Bang and thank you to the amazingly talented Jim Parsons!

@Paula: the book is totally positive.

"suffering from" was my wording... sorry if it offended.

I understand, and appreciate your intent. It wasn't about using offensive words, it is about the popular perception of Asperger's as a disease, when it is actually a different kind of neurological wiring. I read somewhere that the writers of TBBT didn't want to think of Sheldon as aspie because it would change the whole tone of the show if Sheldon had an "affliction," and it would be wrong for his friends to make fun of him if he was "suffering from a disease" instead of just being Sheldon. I think it is fine that they don't label Sheldon or base the character on a template -- he is perfect the way he is -- but it is sad that they have picked up such negative perceptions of Asperger's. Especially when they have created a show that is helping the lives of young aspies, both by offering a positive role model to young aspies like groovymom's son, and by making aspies seem a little less alien to other youngsters and less likely to get bullied and beaten up. (Sheldon's childhood of getting beaten up for being who he is is one of many true-to-life details.)

@ Paula - you make a really valid point regarding how other kids see the Aspies. Also, my son himself can now openly have his random thoughts, then say afterwards that he was "doing a Sheldon" and laugh about it, when before this show came along, he would be stressed by his randomness and quirky outbursts of knowledge. There is truly a big difference in his attitude when he can actually compare himself to Sheldon and be proud of it versus thinking that he was weird or something was "wrong" with him.

• 3 months later...

It's good to know about the help that this show gives, simply in terms of social acceptance, for young people with Asperger's. Oddly, the same paradigm shift applies to scientists too. A friend of mine, who is a string theorist, says that earlier when he used to tell layman acquaintances about his profession, the reaction was one of mistrust and alienation - 'hard science? string theory? what's that?' But post-TBBT, that has been replaced by the much warmer and friendlier 'oh, a string theorist? like Sheldon Cooper?'

And that association automatically bridges a gap.

did I post this vid on some othher thread or somewhere else?...I cant remember...anyway...enjoy

That video is so cute. I like the way he turns over the last few blank pages at the end and even shows us the back cover. Very throughout!