The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shel_Ra_Ho_Le

5.13. The Recombination Hypothesis (Jan 19th 2012)

How do you rate the episode?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the episode?

Actually the dream sequence could be taken as Leonard reflecting on what mistakes he is prone to making in dealing with Penny. Hopefully he will dodge those bullets on the date. Then in the final minutes we have Penny deciding she needs to go to the drug store in order to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. In other words, she has already decided the the date might end in her and Leonard having sex. That would seem to mean that the rest of the season will have Penny and Leonard's relationship as a central theme in the story line. I don't put much credence in what number the episode is so I was not particularly looking for anything special and wasn't disappointed. Frankly I was just glad that the will they/won't they question seems to be on it's way to being decided. To me it looks like they will be back together in the next episode and a reoccurring issue in the upcoming episodes will be how their relationship is working out. Hopefully this will end them mooning over each other as they go out with other people.

Actually the dream sequence could be taken as Leonard reflecting on what mistakes he is prone to making in dealing with Penny. Hopefully he will dodge those bullets on the date. Then in the final minutes we have Penny deciding she needs to go to the drug store in order to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. In other words, she has already decided the the date might end in her and Leonard having sex. That would seem to mean that the rest of the season will have Penny and Leonard's relationship as a central theme in the story line. I don't put much credence in what number the episode is so I was not particularly looking for anything special and wasn't disappointed. Frankly I was just glad that the will they/won't they question seems to be on it's way to being decided. To me it looks like they will be back together in the next episode and a reoccurring issue in the upcoming episodes will be how their relationship is working out. Hopefully this will end them mooning over each other as they go out with other people.

no I think she's thinking if things go well that could happen, can't she have a little self control once, I hope there's more to their relationship than sex this time around if not why bother. Maybe you need to put some stock in the episode number the 100th is a milestone and suppose to be special if it was just another episode it would've been okay but it wasn't.

Where was the mooning and going out with other people they did, leonard was really the only one that dated someone, penny spent the majority of the time mooning over Leonard, It would've been funny if it wasn't so sad and pathetic that she was mooning over him so much when his only quality is he's a "nice guy" instead of going out with friends and dating.

no I think she's thinking if things go well that could happen, can't she have a little self control once, I hope there's more to their relationship than sex this time around if not why bother.

Which is why I used the word "might" in the sentence "In other words, she has already decided the the date might end in her and Leonard having sex.".

And she doesn't over analize things like Leonard, but she still needs some self control, sleeping with your ex after the first date, there's a reason you broke up a little self control and taking things slow at first wouldn't hurt.

Of course I like the idea of them getting back together. Please, please, please let it work out! I thought the dream sequence was an interesting way to work the episode and I'm glad he still went to ask her out when it was over. Now to see how the date actually went. Though I could have done without Penny's dream sequence.

Oh and I was glad that this episode focused on Leonard (and Penny). I needed a break from Amy being the center

Where was the mooning and going out with other people they did, leonard was really the only one that dated someone, penny spent the majority of the time mooning over Leonard, It would've been funny if it wasn't so sad and pathetic that she was mooning over him so much when his only quality is he's a "nice guy" instead of going out with friends and dating.

Penny did date someone after their break-up: Zack. And it was then that she realized she couldn't just go back to dating the stupid, well-built guys that she used to (which could also explain why she was having trouble finding someone to date after Zack). And during that time, Leonard did have a hard time getting used to the fact that Penny was dating someone else. Leonard did his own moping around too after the break-up, and attempted a blind date set up by Bernadette. I think a lot of people forget those details because Priya just overshadowed Season 4, even though she was only there for maybe half the season.

It's been stated before but something I didn't like about the episode that WASN'T about the writing - the laugh track. I know Chuck Lorre says there isn't one but whatever. Whomever was laughing, I found it very VERY annoying through the entire episode. There were parts where the actors ask a question or just give a look and the laughing goes way overboard. Like with the 'wood' jokes. I'm sure most people, like us here, may have found the first or second joke to cause a giggle but not each and every joke.

On other tv shows when there's a laugh track it doesn't annoy me. The only thing I can think of is that the laughing on TBBT almost overshadows the dialogue/scene. There was an episode earlier this year where they were talking and the laughing was going on and I couldn't even hear the rest of the sentence. If there is a laugh track, they REALLY need to dial it down. If these are live people, someone needs to tell them to shut up.

Yeah I know it sounds harsh but the show would be better for it.

Penny did date someone after their break-up: Zack. And it was then that she realized she couldn't just go back to dating the stupid, well-built guys that she used to (which could also explain why she was having trouble finding someone to date after Zack). And during that time, Leonard did have a hard time getting used to the fact that Penny was dating someone else. Leonard did his own moping around too after the break-up, and attempted a blind date set up by Bernadette. I think a lot of people forget those details because Priya just overshadowed Season 4, even though she was only there for maybe half the season.

Well you have to look at the whole season, Leonard moped for the first couple but after that he stopped, plus as for penny why would she or any other woman go back to what she dated, plus maybe she should tried normal smart guys, of course maybe they just saw her as a waitress, plus we never saw her try to get another guy yes Zack was in a few episodes only because she didn't want to be alone, she was pinning away pathetically in her apartment drinking

It's been stated before but something I didn't like about the episode that WASN'T about the writing - the laugh track. I know Chuck Lorre says there isn't one but whatever. Whomever was laughing, I found it very VERY annoying through the entire episode. There were parts where the actors ask a question or just give a look and the laughing goes way overboard. Like with the 'wood' jokes. I'm sure most people, like us here, may have found the first or second joke to cause a giggle but not each and every joke.

On other tv shows when there's a laugh track it doesn't annoy me. The only thing I can think of is that the laughing on TBBT almost overshadows the dialogue/scene. There was an episode earlier this year where they were talking and the laughing was going on and I couldn't even hear the rest of the sentence. If there is a laugh track, they REALLY need to dial it down. If these are live people, someone needs to tell them to shut up.

Yeah I know it sounds harsh but the show would be better for it.

Well Lorre is either lying or needs to get his hearing check because either that's a laugh track or they sure laugh on cue, it seems more annoying on TBBT I do wish they would stop at times it takes away from the show and times you can't hear, plus it has been going on the whole series.

And she doesn't over analize things like Leonard, but she still needs some self control, sleeping with your ex after the first date, there's a reason you broke up a little self control and taking things slow at first wouldn't hurt.

I wasn't criticizing Penny for taking precautions. Actually I think that if she believes that there is the slightest chance of her having sex with Leonard then it is the responsible thing to do. The point I was trying to make was that she did think it was a possibility, and I'm not being critical about that either considering the circumstances. She believes that she made a mistake breaking up with Leonard. In addition she sees him daily and spends allot of time at his place with the rest of the bunch. Under those circumstances I think that it is understandable if she did have sex with Leonard considering that they did have an ongoing relationship even if it was only as friends.

I wasn't criticizing Penny for taking precautions. Actually I think that if she believes that there is the slightest chance of her having sex with Leonard then it is the responsible thing to do. The point I was trying to make was that she did think it was a possibility, and I'm not being critical about that either considering the circumstances. She believes that she made a mistake breaking up with Leonard. In addition she sees him daily and spends allot of time at his place with the rest of the bunch. Under those circumstances I think that it is understandable if she did have sex with Leonard considering that they did have an ongoing relationship even if it was only as friends.

yes but jumping into bed with your ex after their first date is a mistake when they have so many issues to work out and that was there problem the first time all they did was jump into bed.

I noticed what Sheldon said to Leonard how penny is opposite of leonard's first romantic encounter his mother(leonard's ongoing mommy issues) I guess saying how that's penny and leonard's relationship problem, now I'm pretty sure unless the mom is smoking hot she'd be the opposite of most guys mom's, but wouldn't Leonard date women that are similiar in some way or would meet his mothers' approval since he seeks and wants it since he didn't get it as a child. Of course even in a dream sequence his mommy problems are brought up.

I noticed what Sheldon said to Leonard how penny is opposite of leonard's first romantic encounter his mother(leonard's ongoing mommy issues) I guess saying how that's penny and leonard's relationship problem, now I'm pretty sure unless the mom is smoking hot she'd be the opposite of most guys mom's, but wouldn't Leonard date women that are similiar in some way or would meet his mothers' approval since he seeks and wants it since he didn't get it as a child. Of course even in a dream sequence his mommy problems are brought up.

I think that Sheldon is wrong. The last person to give any advise on personal relationships is Sheldon. In addition, from what we know of how Leonard was raised and what we have been told about how his family "celebrated" birthdays and Christmas, his mother doesn't have a nurturing bone in her body. She may have all of the educational credentials but she is the last person to give advice on how to raise a child. Perhaps in a way Sheldon is correct in that while Leonard's mother is cold and aloof, Penny is warm and caring.

Remember though, this is all imagined by Leonard. None of the events in the episode except for the last couple of minutes actually happened. It's most likely Leonard projecting his own thoughts of why he possibly is attached to Penny into his imaginary Sheldon.

I also just realized, we had a perfect opportunity to find out Penny's last name in this episode. In Penny's brief dream sequence, the minister said, "Do you, Penny, take Leonard to be your lawful wedded husband?" No last names were included, but if I'm not mistaken, every ceremony requires the full name be spoken. I wonder if this was intentional.

I think that Sheldon is wrong. The last person to give any advise on personal relationships is Sheldon. In addition, from what we know of how Leonard was raised and what we have been told about how his family "celebrated" birthdays and Christmas, his mother doesn't have a nurturing bone in her body. She may have all of the educational credentials but she is the last person to give advice on how to raise a child. Perhaps in a way Sheldon is correct in that while Leonard's mother is cold and aloof, Penny is warm and caring.

I believe Sheldon is right about why his relationship didn't work because if his mommy issue, the part about penny being warm and caring would be why they work which so far they haven't, besides he seeks his mother approval I'm still surprised he hasn't dated someone that she would approve or has similiar traits

@Aevitas: unless they've written their own vows?

No they say the names in the ceremony

Remember though, this is all imagined by Leonard. None of the events in the episode except for the last couple of minutes actually happened. It's most likely Leonard projecting his own thoughts of why he possibly is attached to Penny into his imaginary Sheldon.

I also just realized, we had a perfect opportunity to find out Penny's last name in this episode. In Penny's brief dream sequence, the minister said, "Do you, Penny, take Leonard to be your lawful wedded husband?" No last names were included, but if I'm not mistaken, every ceremony requires the full name be spoken. I wonder if this was intentional.

Well the ceremonies I've been the names have been said, but the perfect oppurtunity to have her last name was last season when her dad was there. They said her name would be revealed this season if this is true they're running out of time.

I think the legal full name just has to be on the marriage license, I don't think the minister has to say it.

I think the legal full name just has to be on the marriage license, I don't think the minister has to say it.

I've been to weddings before and the minister always says her full name and his and at the end mr. And mrs and his last name, I think they just wanted penny to have a dream at the end, to have her last name revealed there would've been cheap, I still maintain it should've been when her dad came and either Leonard or Sheldon tried to call mr. And his last name and he then says call me Wyatt.

I've been to weddings before and the minister always says her full name and his and at the end mr. And mrs and his last name, I think they just wanted penny to have a dream at the end, to have her last name revealed there would've been cheap, I still maintain it should've been when her dad came and either Leonard or Sheldon tried to call mr. And his last name and he then says call me Wyatt.

But I think that is mostly tradition that that is what is said. I was looking around the internet to find if their was a rule that said the couples full names had to be said in the ceremony and I did not find anything that said they had to be.

I don't know if it's a rule or not but the ones I've been to they've always done it.

I don't know if it's a rule or not but the ones I've been to they've always done it.

In contrast, I don't think I have ever been to a wedding where they spoke the last names in the vows.