Penny

Does anyone else think that the character of penny is under used?

For example she almost moved back to Nebraska before her agent called her to tell her she got the commerical, yet we hardly here about her pursuit or her acting career, she has yet to be given a last name, I'm not saying that they need to give her episodes all about her even though they've done that for amy recently I just believe that the character of penny has so much potential anddevelopement they are ignoring

I am inclined to agree. We see glimpses of depth as a character, but we see relativly little to allow Penny to develope into a full character.

Pehaps the writers have some difficulty in writing for a normal characters, without nerd inclinations? Leaving us with an under used 2 dimensional character instead of what Penny realy deserves...

I have to agree too. They have developed the other four main characters a lot but Penny keeps basicaly the same level through out the seasons. She hasn't progressed in her acting career or her waitressing career (though there isn't much room to go up with that). Every now and then we get thrown little bit, mostly that her family is rednecks, she has not been to college, and her brother being in jail. I would like her to have more personal development and to hear more about her past.

I'm putting my lunch money on season 6 featuring a lot more Penny and Leonard.

I reckon they'll get back together in the season 5 finale, which I tip will take place at Howard and Bernadette's wedding.

watch this space :)

@netmouse if you want to discuss when penny and Leonard get back together I'm sure they're plenty of threads for that.

I have to agree too. They have developed the other four main characters a lot but Penny keeps basicaly the same level through out the seasons. She hasn't progressed in her acting career or her waitressing career (though there isn't much room to go up with that). Every now and then we get thrown little bit, mostly that her family is rednecks, she has not been to college, and her brother being in jail. I would like her to have more personal development and to hear more about her past.

I would think that as a writer that penny would be the easiest to write for or about, I would like to hear more about her family and her her past and who penny really is, and as for her profession if she's not going to have an acting career, they either need to have her get a better paying job, because she doesn't like it there and I can't see her wanting to be at the cheesecake factory the rest of her life, or have her go back to community college and then transfer and graduate from USC or UCLA.

Well they need to develop her character regardless of if she's with Leonard, any of th guys or someone else or just single, they don't need to develop her character because she's with Leonard they need to because we really don't know much about the character and who penny is example the little pieces we get from time to time

I completely agree. It would be nice to see more of Penny - especially related to her acting career - than just being in abeyance, waiting to be in a romantic relationship again (with Leonard or otherwise). I know that's realistic too, there are girls like that - but there's a spark in her, and she had it in her to come to LA and struggle and hold down a job in the hope of making it big.

As discussed here earlier, I'm sure there could be some great comedic storylines coming from her landing a small acting gig and the guy's reactions to that situation.

I actually thought Penny had decent character development until Season 5 (unless that's what you're talking about). There might not have been too much in terms of her acting career, but there are other areas where she has been evolving. At the beginning, she only found romantic interest in guys who were physically appealing to her, but after that one date with Leonard at the end of Season 1, she opened up to other geeks like Stuart. She also didn't know anything about sci-fi, video games, etc. before she met the guys, but she later joined in on Halo Night, watched movies with them, played games with them, etc. although she doesn't always enjoy it. We finally see that Penny actually pays attention though, after seeing her Star Trek shields metaphor slip in the Alisha episode. While I'm on this episode, I think up to this point, we saw Penny deal with all kinds of crap that the guys threw on her (most unintentional), and we know she definitely found them eccentric. But when we see Penny defend them when she confronts Alisha about her manipulative tactics, we see that she really does care about them a great deal. Then at the end of Season 3, when Penny and Leonard break up, we see her trying to go back to dating well-built, dumb guys, and realize that she can't. Now she's stuck in a limbo where she feels it's not right to get back with Leonard (for whatever reason), but she can't just go back to the way she was, since Leonard has raised her bar for standards in the intelligence department.

Something was definitely going on in Penny's head in Season 4 (both before and after Priya showed up), but unfortunately the writers didn't give us much. We see that she would rather spend New Year's Eve with Zack than Leonard, even though she had no intention of really being in a relationship with Zack (because she didn't want to be alone for New Year's). Going to the comic book store party definitely bothered her (she was expecting to go to a club), but we were never told the reason. Did she not want to be reminded of anything that had to do with Leonard for the new year? And then when Priya and Leonard became an item, we then see a contrast between the two girls: Penny who has been a part of the guys' geek world to a certain extent (who would go so far as to drive the guys in the middle of the night to get Sheldon's "imaginary stuff" back from the hacker), and Priya, who doesn't really get it at all and doesn't really make an effort to (except for that one time when she reluctantly wore that Star Trek uniform in the bedroom). Penny obviously regretted breaking up with Leonard, and there are various points where we see her display her frustrations, although it's a little shaky and uncertain about where her emotions are going, especially near the end of Season 4.

Now into Season 5, I don't know what to make of Penny. The only glimpse we see of Penny in relation to the previous seasons was when she and Leonard went out on their "non-date." I don't recognize the Penny that passes out drunk on the floor, or thinks about exploiting Raj for his money (when back in Season 2, she was extremely uncomfortable about borrowing money from Sheldon), or steals clothes from charity. I did briefly read the report on the 100th episode (but didn't read too thoroughly so as not to completely ruin the experience of watching it), so I'm holding out hope that the writers will build on what they've already developed for the Penny character.

I'm putting my lunch money on season 6 featuring a lot more Penny and Leonard.

I reckon they'll get back together in the season 5 finale, which I tip will take place at Howard and Bernadette's wedding.

watch this space :)

That would actually be really cool :D