The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jesse615

Dolly Parton as Sheldon's Grand Ma

Laurie Metcalf was born in Illinois and Courtney Henggeler was born in Indiana.

Arre they from there, because missy's accent was spot on unless she was just acting

A southern accent is a southern accent

No no don't start an argument with that. Southern accents are different in very state. If you are from a southern state you can tell the difference in them

yes I realize there's a slight difference, but still a southern accent, like it would be that big of a difference if dolly from tenn. plays memaw from Texas

Arre they from there, because missy's accent was spot on unless she was just acting

No no don't start an argument with that. Southern accents are different in very state. If you are from a southern state you can tell the difference in them

yes I realize there's a slight difference, but still a southern accent, like it would be that big of a difference if dolly from tenn. plays memaw from Texas

Well it probably wouldn't really matter to anyone, but I can assure you the difference between East Texas and Tennessee accents is as severe as the difference between East Texas and New Jersey. Laurie Metcalf is and accomplished character actress as is Courtney Henggeler for that matter. They are both quite capable of doing accents as part of their job. Dolly is an amazing songwriter and singer/entertainer and a larger than life character. Who doesn't love Dolly? But, character acting isn't what she does. My original comment about whether she could do an east Texas accent was really hypothetical. Let's face it, nobody would care. She is Dolly and would be great as Sheldon's MeeMaw.

What if because Sheldon is completely oblivious to popular culture, he doesn't realise that Meemaw looks just like Dolly Parton.

I bet he would know that, I could see is memaw either listening to her music or watching her movies when he was a little boy, but that would be funny.

That would be a good fit. Reba has done a lot of acting to boot.......I am not sure but I thought she was from Texas also....but don't quote me on that

Well it probably wouldn't really matter to anyone, but I can assure you the difference between East Texas and Tennessee accents is as severe as the difference between East Texas and New Jersey. Laurie Metcalf is and accomplished character actress as is Courtney Henggeler for that matter. They are both quite capable of doing accents as part of their job. Dolly is an amazing songwriter and singer/entertainer and a larger than life character. Who doesn't love Dolly? But, character acting isn't what she does. My original comment about whether she could do an east Texas accent was really hypothetical. Let's face it, nobody would care. She is Dolly and would be great as Sheldon's MeeMaw.

How do we know the meemaw is from Texas anyway? She may have married a Texan, or moved to Texas? In that case her texan accent may not be 100% geniune. My partner is English born and lived there until he was 18, yet has spent most of his life in Australia, so his accent is a hybrid of them both now.

just googled "meemaw"...apparently, it's used as a term of address in the southern states. I guess that means you have a fair bit of latitude as to what his meemaws accent could be... she need not have the Texan accent at all. Dolly, with her more Southern Belle accent, could fit right in.. although, as it's been pointed out, her bodice not so much...

We just found out she was raised in Oklahoma. Maybe they are lining a meemaw appearance up as we speak :icon_cheesygrin: (or write)

LOL that would be really interesting she is also a good actress. Sheldon has not said weather she is alive or not ( his Mee Maw). He has always stated that his grandma used to call him Moonpie so penny annoys him with it. they could make her come on the show, since they haven't said weather she is dead or not.

Southern accents are very different, but as Convict 13 pointed out, his meemaw doesn't have to be from Texas. Dolly Parton is an inspired choice. Seeing her sing "soft kitty" to Sheldon would be epic, and she's very funny.

Just watched this old interview with Jim and he mentions that he would like Betty White to play Meema.

http://www.todaysthv.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=82788299001

Betty White > All other options.

I am totally in love with Betty White. She could DEFINITELY pull it off. Even if she didn't have an accent. :p

I agree it needs to be betty white.

Just watched this old interview with Jim and he mentions that he would like Betty White to play Meema.

http://www.todaysthv.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=82788299001

Betty White > All other options.

I am totally in love with Betty White. She could DEFINITELY pull it off. Even if she didn't have an accent. :p

I agree it needs to be betty white.

Betty White! Yes! She can do a Southern accent. Remember her playing Ellen Harper Jackson on the Carol Burnett Show, the "Mama's Family" skit? She was hilarious!

I could see her being sicky-sweet, and then strict and hard-line the next minute. What Sheldon's mother and Mee Maw's interaction would be like....

Although, Dolly Parton would also do an excellent job.

I gotta go with Dolly for Meemaw too. That said, we need to figure out a way to get Betty White in there somewhere as a guest spot. *ponders*

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Sean Astin posted this video since he wants his mom, Patty Duke, to play Sheldon's Meemaw.

Is actually very cute

http://youtu.be/HY19UOjGXDk

I vote for Betty White, but ONLY if somehow she ends up sleeping with Raj!

• Like 1

Sheldon said she was raised in Oklahoma. Whats that accent like?

Equal parts Texas and generic southern, with a dash of Midwest.