The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jesse615

Dolly Parton as Sheldon's Grand Ma

Sheldon said she was raised in Oklahoma. Whats that accent like?

Equal parts Texas and generic southern, with a dash of Midwest.

Ha, I have no idea what that is but it sounds great. :icon_cheesygrin:

Maybe I should come to the next meetup and show mine off, though I really only have an accent when tired or irritated.

Dolly Parton as Meemaw would be fantastic. However I imagined his meemaw to be more of an elderly woman who is shorter than his mother and gardened alot. I don't know how to make that into a visual but that is what I got. However, if any person here had gone through the terrifying phase of watching Hannah Montana, the Dolly Parton as meemaw setting would make me think of Hannah Montana rather than the show.

• Like 1

Yes, yes, defiantely yes!!! I vote for Dolly, as Meemaw. Everyone will not expect her as Sheldon's beloved Meemaw. After how he protray's her, then Dolly shows up. Perfect. Someone should notify the writer's :p .

I think I've got to go with Betty White--she's old enough to be Laurie Metcalf's mother and short enough to look fantastic next to JP.

And I think she can also be sweet and no-nonsense at the same time. Plus JP wants her as his meemaw. ;)

That interview clip is interesting--that's from Little Rock where I live. I guess I never saw that interview because I never watch that channel. Who knew what I was missing?!?!

As for accents, there really is a difference. I used to work in a call center and you could really tell the difference between the accents of each of the southern states. Plus there was a guy that used to go to my church who was from Texas and I could really tell the difference between his accent and the Arkansas accents that everyone else has (except me, since I grew up elsewhere.)

I so want to see Sheldon's meemaw on the show!

Edited by phantagrae

What about Carol Burnett? I mean she actually looks like Laurie Metcalf and a little like Jim Parsons too. I mean in she's tall yet slender type build like they've got. She is hilarious comedy royalty and can do a funny Southern Accent too. I love the idea of Betty White, but she has her own sitcom Hot in Cleveland. And although Dolly would be funny choice, she is not exactly what I picture when I think of old fashioned meemaw that Sheldon describes her to be, she's too sexy looking with those big boobs of hers and she looks nothing like Sheldon or his family to me. I think Dolly would be perfect to play Penny's grandma though lol :)

Edited by Superlovelexi

Arre they from there, because missy's accent was spot on unless she was just acting

yes I realize there's a slight difference, but still a southern accent, like it would be that big of a difference if dolly from tenn. plays memaw from Texas

My 2¢ worth: Missy's accent wasn't Texas at all. Every State, and every region within each State, has a discrete and distinctive accent. There are at least five recognizable regional accents in Texas alone. Houston has two distinct accents, and so does Dallas.

Sheldon claims to be from the southern part of East Texas, but his accent marks him as a West Houstonian. Missy was trying to do a "Southern" accent, which clashed with Sheldon's. Dolly Parton's accent is East Tennessee, which is almost identical to Deep East Texas. But in "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas," Dolly couldn't pronounce "Eloise." I grew up in Houston, but I have lived in the southern part of Deep East Texas for a decade. And as a retired linguist, I recognize accents. Henry Higgins was right; he could spot any accent in England. My mother-in-law was a native New Yorker. She claimed to be able to spot what block on what street any New Yorker grew up in.

Edited by Sandman

I started thinking about this for some reason and I have decided that Dolly Parton should be Bernadette's mom or grandma! It is the height and the voice and *ahem* other traits!

I do somehow think it would be funny if they did a flashback of Sheldon's parents and his dad was Ron White. Suits all the stories!

Edited by MsTeller

You're right. I think all they would have to do is hand her a script........Be neat to hear her sing soft kitty to Sheldon......

That would be awesome!  It would be so weird, though, to see tiny Dolly next to Sheldon.  I worked at Dollywood for three years and Dolly always came once a year to do pictures with all of the departments.  I got to stand next to her twice because I am fairly short.  She is the nicest, funniest person you could ever meet.

On 1/6/2012 at 9:48 AM, Jesse615 said:

I know it may seem crazy to some but given Dolly's persona and measurements.........seems like it would be a nice addition to the family.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread and I know this Person is not a Member on here anymore but this would have been a great choice for Sheldon Meemaw! Maybe Dolly could be Sheldon Aunt or his other Grandmother? Or maybe Amy Grandma even?  I would have prefered dolly over the actress they choose 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan