How do you enjoy The Big Bang Theory?

Yeah, I am a big nerd. I am into Star Trek, Star Wars, Super Hero movies , science fiction movies, Godzilla movies, physics and astrophysics. I also play some video games but I am not into comic books though. I collect Star Trek memorabilia and I have big collection of Godzilla figures.

All of this helps me enjoy the show and the fact that I too am a bit of a nerd, although I have no problem with social skills or talking to women, I can relate to the characters pretty well.

I havent seen alot of the media that is referenced but I know enough about enough to get alot of it but im guessing theres more I would get if I was farmiliar with the references but im blissfully ignorant in that I dont know that I dont get stuff because I dont know theres something for me to get. If that makes any sense to anyone?

I think to get alot of the joke that go with them you at least need to know a little about the media they talk about.

Usually I only know the surface of the programs and films they reference, which gives my a little laugh, but when I really understand what they are referencing (usually cause it's something I'm into) I really enjoy it and relate to it. I like know about their reference when I'm watching

i never saw star trek and star wars...but i get the jist of it

i don't play any of those card games they do, but i knew people that did

i don't think watching the medias they speak of will make your show watching enjoyable

I think it helps to understand at least what the different shows and movies did to impact the fans. I myself have never really watched Star Trek or Star Wars, but I do have a general idea of the plot and characters, and I did learn that the general consensus of avid fans is that the new Star Wars trilogy sucks (Epsodes 1-3), that only the first Matrix movie was good, and it was a great injustice that Firefly was cancelled, just to name a few. Quite a few jokes revolved around those kinds of facts and I most certainly appreciated that the writers did their homework in that regard and I think that because I knew about these facts beforehand, it made the jokes funnier. And I know for a fact that my World of Warcraft-playing brother-in-law was rolling on the floor at the "Sword of Azeroth" scene.

My hobby is model railroading, and Sheldon is a bonafide train nut (I think this is also true of Jim Parsons, or so I've heard), so anytime he gets all warm and fuzzy about trains, I immediately connect. I almost died laughing in the episode where he balanced an N-scale locomotive on his tongue, and either Parsons himself or the writers were spot on with his soliloquoy about the difference in model railroad scales in that same episode when he got back from the opening of the new model train shop in town.

I enjoy it because they are always doing stuff that i would like to do!

They read comics,they are LOTR fans,Star Wars fans,they play Xbox,they like anime etc.

But if you are new to those mentioned above you may not understand the show or some jokes in it,because they are almost all related to sci-fi and fantasy movies and books.

I like the World of Warcraft talk because my husband is/was big into that game.

I know and have seen a bit of Star Trek, I like all the Star Wars. I like a lot of it even if I am not familiar with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally got the joke Penny told the boys when they were helping the new actress who moved in above Sheldon & Leanord and even though they didn't like it, I thought it was very funny. But even those references I don't get, I usually look them up afterward.

• 1 month later...

I watch Doctor Who, Stargate (SG-1 and Atlantis [universe Sucks]), and Star Trek (Voyager and Next Generation). I have only seen Star Wars III, and parodies of IV and V. I have also seen Lord of the Rings. Me and one of my classmates are attempting to invent time travel. That is all.

Love Star Wars and I'm aware of the Superheroes they reference, but only from movies and general pop culture or television. Not a comic book guy, dont play the big multiplayer online video games, or D&D or card games.

But I know enough about them and/or the stereotypes involved in order to get the jokes.

Not a fan of Star Trek at all...

I want to say I get 95%+ of the jokes on the show. I think there were only a handful of times I had to look something up. That's probably the major reason I love it so much. My life is a lot like theirs. Star Wars/ Star Trek, comic books, science in general, and I own a lot of crap (toys, memorabilia, etc), even though I'm not really a collector. I own a stormtrooper outfit, for crying out loud.

My mother loves the show, however, she knows nothing about anything they're talking about, and laughs anyway. I wonder how that's even possible, besides the fact she relates a lot of what they say to things I do/say. Maybe just the actors' delivery of their lines or something that tickles her funny, because she laughed at the "Mobius strip" joke and I KNOW she has no flipping idea what that is.

I don't consider myself geeky but I must say that I do get the jokes on the show, except the physics stuff which are not really my domain :fi_lone_ranger:. Anyways I LOVE Star Trek (Especially TOS - which I saw 4 times already ) and Star Wars (the classic ones) and I'm seriously thinking of buying a lt. Uhura dress :icon_cheesygrin:.

One of the amazing things about this show is that even if you don't get all of the physics stuff, it is still funny. Writing is amazing.

Same here. I get most of the geek stuff but the science stuff probably sounds funnier if you don't get it. The language is so unlike what we are used to hearing, it seems funny anyway. :icon_biggrin:

I enjoy the show the most for its nastalgic qualities, we all knew or had friends like this growing up and I love watching how they all try to interact within each others comfort zones.I just hope the writers can keep up and make this a long lasting series first enjoyable comedy sitcom in awhile......

I totally love the nerd/math/gaming jokes. I find it more upsetting when they get that stuff wrong over the math/physics side.

Few examples:

When the gang all plays Star Wars The Old Republic, Leonard Sheldo Howard Raj and Bernadette are all in a party, but that is 5 people and the max party size is 4.

When Leonard is trying to sneak Priya in and Sheldon is stuck playing a Zork emulator online. He frantically types "hit troll with axe", "hit troll with axe" over and over. But, you get the axe from the troll, you can't get the axe until you have already killed the troll.

Also, I find it almost painfully unrealstic that they will all sit around playing MMO's on their laptops and none of them use a mouse.

Also, Sheldon *never* backed up his mortal enemy list off of his 5 1/4" drive? I know it was just a joke, a blast from the past, but I just feel the real Sheldon would have multiple copies of that list stored and printed out.