In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

that Sheldon in the Pilot ep - I like him better!

mmj86

Hi guys!

I'm new here I live in Sydney, Australia and HATE that I have to wait longer than most of the world to see new episodes of my favourite American sitcoms but what can you do. Anyhow, given the Xmas holidays I've been doing day&night Big Bang marathons with limited or no physical activity to speak of in between, which is a tad concerning - Nevertheless, there was something I was hoping to discuss with my fellow fans.

Since this is my first post, Im unaware of if this has been discussed previously..apologies if it has.. but I was thinking about the way Sheldon is portrayed in the first/early episodes compared to how his character is gradually developed into an exceedingly odd individual/complete social outcast.

IMO, it seems like Sheldon was far less socially awkward with a consderable understanding of basic human interacton in the Pilot episode (he isn't even the first to call it coitus)

Yes he still OCDs over his chair, but he doesn’t jump to fetch his 'roommate agreement' when Penny (a complete stranger at this point) asks to use the shower and Leonard agrees. He also doesn’t rattle on about being bullied and losing his pants when they drive all the way to Penny’s ex to grab her TV, which they dont even end up getting. In any other season he would have made some friendship terminating threats and/or indulged in incessant nagging. Also, Penny (again still a complete stanger at this point) HUGS Sheldon, while he’s not wearing any pants! (Need I say more).

I wouldn’t have minded if ‘ this ’ Sheldon had continued in the series instead of the blatantly “special†Sheldon, which often verges on excessively annoying (yes in a humorous way) in the third and fourth seasons (despite the writers making up for it here and there by portraying him as a child at heart). Pilot epi Sheldon is still outrageously intellgent, pedantic, specific, mildly arrogant and harmlessly condescending, BUT he’s not crazy. Later they make him crazy.

Thoughts?

M

• Like 2

Hey, there! :) I'm from Adelaide, but I'm pretty sure you can still catch one em recent episodes on Nine. :) But I just go for torrent anyway.

Hmmm. Well, you do have a fairly good point. I think it's because Sheldon has been fairly patient at the start of the episodes, and since Penny (a complete stranger) and he might've been trying to act 'polite' (it's possible). Haha. I think he didn't expect Penny to be hanging out with them most of the time, maybe that's why he wasn't as up-tight as he is now.

I remember in one of the episodes, he had given Penny 'strikes' and tried to use the 'Roommate Agreement' on her but at a certain point, some of Penny's privileges were stripped off and she tattle-taled to Shelly's mum. Since then he currently can't use the strikes or Penny'll tattle-tale to his mum. So I'm assuming that whatever chance he gets, he'd bring out the Roommate Agreement. I don't know if I'm making sense, but yeah. :p

And about his patience, sometimes, Sheldon does give in, there was one episode when Sheldon dressed up as the Flash and Leonard asked him if he could turn the thermostat down (even though there is a constant temperature in the Roommate Agreement) and then the Flash-Sheldon, annoyed by Leonard, 'ran' to the Grand Canyon, screamed his lungs out, ran back and then calmly okayed Leonard.

Just expressing my theories! :icon_mrgreen:

I'm pretty sure you can still catch one em recent episodes on Nine. :) But I just go for torrent anyway.

Hi Abigail! Are they showing season 5? Everytime I catch it its always a rerun in random order!

Haha yea love all the Sheldon flash moments, but I just think they developed his character to be much more of a social outcast, at times not understanding any social cues what so ever, than how he seems in the pilot or the first season for that matter. e.g in one of the episodes in the first season, Sheldon tells Leonard that he noticed Leslie had been shaving her legs and since it was winter she might be signalling sexual availability (bahaha), but then in a later episode (I think season two) when the neighbors upstairs are getting busy he thinks their jumping on their bed?

I'm glad the writers are redirecting his character in the latest episodes, espcially with his interactions with Amy. I just don't like it when they make him seem completely nuts!

Channel 9 is yet to continue with season 5 for 2012. They got to a point where we were only a couple of episodes behind the US.

If you want to keep up to date and go episode for episode as they're screened in the US, yeah, go to the torrent sites. Plus, Channel 9 has this annoying habit of editing episodes (more the reruns than the current ones) to squeeze in more advertising.

Channel 9 is yet to continue with season 5 for 2012. They got to a point where we were only a couple of episodes behind the US.

If you want to keep up to date and go episode for episode as they're screened in the US, yeah, go to the torrent sites. Plus, Channel 9 has this annoying habit of editing episodes (more the reruns than the current ones) to squeeze in more advertising.

Have you seen ep.12 of season 5? I can only find up to ep.11 on torrent.

I'm pretty sure you can still catch one em recent episodes on Nine. :) But I just go for torrent anyway.

Hi Abigail! Are they showing season 5? Everytime I catch it its always a rerun in random order!

Hey! Haha. Not yet, as Netmouse has said, season 5 will be coming around sometime this year.

And do what everyone does, torrenting! :icon_cheesygrin:

I always found it a bit unsettling (not sure whether I like it or not) that the Sheldon of S1 has a more mature understanding of sex and relationships than the Sheldon of later seasons. In the first few episodes, he actually counsels Leonard about Penny, and seems to know what behaviours do and do not lead to intercourse. In the pilot he understands what it is to masturbate (and according to Leonard is a "semi pro" at it :p). But in the later seasons he somehow regresses to a pre-pubescent stage when it comes to matters about sex and human interactions, completely ignoring the Leonard-Penny relationship (not even a slight curiosity) and showing a naivete that is not corresponding to what he was earlier. In one of the later seasons the only, if any, reference about his sexual understanding is that he has genitals that are functional and aesthetically pleasing. I think the writers tweaked his character slightly so that he has a textbook understanding of sexual relationships - he knows the biology of it - but very little real-world understanding of how they work. That seems more consistent with the way one would expect Sheldon to naturally be.

So to sum up I probably prefer later-Sheldon in this respect.

Oh and also, in India they're always a season behind! I have to resort to Torrents too.

the Sheldon of S1 has a more mature understanding of sex and relationships than the Sheldon of later seasons. In the first few episodes, he actually counsels Leonard about Penny, and seems to know what behaviours do and do not lead to intercourse. In the pilot he understands what it is to masturbate (and according to Leonard is a "semi pro" at it :p). But in the later seasons he somehow regresses to a pre-pubescent stage when it comes to matters about sex and human interactions, completely ignoring the Leonard-Penny relationship (not even a slight curiosity) and showing a naivete that is not corresponding to what he was earlier.

milti girl, you have summed up exactly what I was trying to say but were far more articulate at it! However, contrary to your preference, Sheldon's complete ignorance of such a predominent social aspect is a bit unsettling to me and I preferred the original way in which the character was writeen i.e not sexual but cognizant of the reality of sex as a part of society and popular culture.

thanks netmouse, lol I was a bit ahead of myself there.

• 6 months later...

In the pilot he understands what it is to masturbate (and according to Leonard is a "semi pro" at it :p). But in the later seasons he somehow regresses to a pre-pubescent stage .

I wonder how he would masturbate for sperm donation, if, in Season 5, he says that the book talks about sex gives him nightmares ...

I'm pretty sure the writers didn't really know how the Sheldon character would evolve from the pilot episode. That is why he is portrayed as basically a regular nerd who is pretty aware of normal human circumstances and scenerios but is obviously smart enough to be a physicist.

My biggest problem with the way Sheldon has changed since Season 1 is that he is now more of a STUPID child than he is just a brilliant scientist who is condescending.

In earlier seasons he would talk down to Penny and even to Leonard, to an extent, but mostly about being perplexed as to why Leonard was fussing so much about developing a relationship with Penny and 'expanding his social ciricle'. In more recent seasons and episodes Sheldon is actually portrayed as basically stupid and he is fooled and teased by his "friends" and is treated like a child. I will admit, some of these instances have been funny like the scene with Sheldon and Leonard in the ball pit but other times it has been dissapointing to see how Sheldon is portrayed.

We'll see if they set things back on track in Season 6.

• Like 1

Sheldons character wasn't fully formed until episode 4 of the first season. This is why there are inconsistencies in the first few eps. There's info on wiki under sheldon cooper and quotes from Prady online about this.

@ Vortex, I agree Sheldon is much better portrayed as brilliant rather than juvenile. I found some of season 3 a little distasteful in the way they regressed his character. When Amy came on the scene they seemed to stop doing this as much. By the end of season 3 he was a 10 yr old boy in a 30 yr old mans body. They had taken it a little too far so I guess it was time to bring in the girlfriend.