The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.14 The Beta Test Initiation (Jan. 26)

How do you rate this episode?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

that's why only Americans or people who have seen the most recent episode should comment,

I did say I did not see the most recent episodes and I could be wrong.

Other people have mentioned that she had looked like she had gained weight. I did notice that her face looked puffy - the way a pregnant woman's face looks puffy.

It is not that difficult to hide a pregnancy, particularly the early stages of a pregnancy.

It's also possible for a woman to have a miscarriage.

that's why only Americans or people who have seen the most recent episode should comment,

I did say I did not see the most recent episodes and I could be wrong.

Other people have mentioned that she had looked like she had gained weight. I did notice that her face looked puffy - the way a pregnant woman's face looks puffy.

It is not that difficult to hide a pregnancy, particularly the early stages of a pregnancy.

It's also possible for a woman to have a miscarriage.

That's why that someone who doesn't see the most recent episode should be speculating like this for one her face is not puffy it's fine so now you think she's putting on what, now you think she had a misscarriage keep that to yourself.

@cbolt: you've misread Tiddles post.

With regards to Kaley's "puffiness"... watch an episode where she is lying in bed (be it with Leonard or Raj) and she does in fact look very puffy in the face. She gets a bit of a double chin happening.

Especially noticeable in the season 4 finale.

just sayin'.

Yeah she's definetly not pregnant

Of course Amy mentioned how delightful penny is again, I'm still convinced she'll make a pass at penny. I'm not surprised Leonard shot himself I'm just he didn't shoot himself when he picked up the gun, everytime he tries to do something masculine he hurts himself, it's good to see he does something she wants without expecting something that benefits him as Sheldon would say there's hope for you yet, too bad they didn't write for them like that the first time. Was the raj in love with the phone voice chick not disturbing. They need to do something when Leonard grins it looks a little creepy. Of course a woman like penny would like to go to the gun range, what country girl that grew up on a farm doesn't know how to shoot a gun much less loves to go to a gun range and Leonard really GTA?

I found the writing rather uninspiring - even for a sitcom... what guy pines for a girl for years, then when they start dating, presents her with a full-page of things she needs to change?

According to Prady's tweets, Amy's interst in Penny is purely platonic.

• Like 1

I really liked the episode. It reminded me of an episode from season 2 or 3. I was glad to see Kripkee in the episode that was funny. The whole thing with Raj was a riot and the bits with Sheldon and Amy were funny too.

I found the writing rather uninspiring - even for a sitcom... what guy pines for a girl for years, then when they start dating, presents her with a full-page of things she needs to change?

Yeah i don't know a guy that would present a girl a list of what he does and doesn't like about things he can live with and things he'd like to change especially when she's his dream girl that's a good way for her never to talk to him again, as for Amy they have a weird way of showing it almost ever episode she's saying something about penny either she's obessed in a friend stalker way or she has a crush on her, I've never any any friends that are girls act like that towards one another. Is cow tipping actually tipping over a cow?

As a therapist I have to say there is a theory that the first few years of a couples dating relationship and even into marriage the couples are working out power struggles. That is what they seemed to be doing in this episode. Plus they are guarded, neither one wants to get hurt again.

Plus, this was shown in a very over the top manner because it is a comedy after all!

They didn't have to hide her accident for very long. A pregnancy is a different thing altogether. Besides Penny having a child/children with Leonard has multiple back up meta on the show. It would be a natural progression of the show.

It would have to be a natural progression, they just got back together and to have penny pregnant when they have so much issues to go through would be a mistake, If penny does get pregant it would be the last season of the show, plus it's not that hard to hid a pregnancy

It has nothing to do with the difficulties of hiding the pregnancy. It has to do with maybe just maybe the writers choosing to not hide it and simply write it into the show.

I don't even think this is going to be an issue anyway because I think Kaley is most likely going to want to wait until the showing is winding down ie close to ending before she starts a family.

ETA:

As for Leonard's list. Yeah that was tactless of him. This probably would have looked even worse had we not had Penny out right admit in season four that she tried to change Leonard. It's not like she's wholly innocent here. I'll have to go with Bill here. This was an issue of power struggle for them which all long term couples go through.

do you think the writers put that much thought into the motivations of a gag - power struggles, etc... or is it just a device to move the story along. i just thought it rather shallow writing.

i did get a kick out of the raj falling for the siri.

I bet Penny's dad is Happy they are giving the relationship another try!

Of course he is.

OK, OK, OK, I said I was out, but...

My wife wanted to catch up on the shows we've missed and I have to say that I actually liked this episode. Lots of Penny and Leonard getting along, minimal Amy, Howard and Raj making an appearance together.

Who knew? Maybe they'll get back to the good old days.

They didn't have to hide her accident for very long. A pregnancy is a different thing altogether. Besides Penny having a child/children with Leonard has multiple back up meta on the show. It would be a natural progression of the show.

It would have to be a natural progression, they just got back together and to have penny pregnant when they have so much issues to go through would be a mistake, If penny does get pregant it would be the last season of the show, plus it's not that hard to hid a pregnancy

It has nothing to do with the difficulties of hiding the pregnancy. It has to do with maybe just maybe the writers choosing to not hide it and simply write it into the show.

I don't even think this is going to be an issue anyway because I think Kaley is most likely going to want to wait until the showing is winding down ie close to ending before she starts a family.

ETA:

As for Leonard's list. Yeah that was tactless of him. This probably would have looked even worse had we not had Penny out right admit in season four that she tried to change Leonard. It's not like she's wholly innocent here. I'll have to go with Bill here. This was an issue of power struggle for them which all long term couples go through.

When did penny try to change him? I don't think she would make a list if he didn't I kind of wished penny was reading another book, as for kaley say she gets married this summer and gets pregnant a couple months later and starts showing do you really think they'll have penny be pregnant that soon of course not, if penny gets pregnant it will have nothing to do with Kaley but if they have penny pregnant it would have to be the final season and if by chance Kaley is pregnant then they wouldn't have to strap a fake pregnant belly on her, but I don't think we have to worry about Kaley getting pregnant I just she her if she gets married the marriage lasting a few years and getting a divorce sometime during the series.

that was a great episode. I loved the end dream sequence

Previous episode

do you think the writers put that much thought into the motivations of a gag - power struggles, etc... or is it just a device to move the story along. i just thought it rather shallow writing.

I just think it was to move the story along

My wife wanted to catch up on the shows we've missed and I have to say that I actually liked this episode. Lots of Penny and Leonard getting along, minimal Amy, Howard and Raj making an appearance together.

Shocking huh it did feel like an earlier episode and wow penny and Leonard getting along for the most part like a normal couple who don't fight all the time shocking

This episode was...meh.

Raj's borderline creepiness with the phone was so-so until Howard and Bernadette showed up to have dinner. That part I thought was kind of funny. I still wish they'd get Raj to learn to talk to women so I'm hoping there was a plan (though I sincerely doubt it) that Raj's dream might motivate him to look into getting help with his social anxiety.

While I didn't find any of Leonard & Penny moments to be funny, I thought they were cute. But yeah, I couldn't believe he'd make a list of issues he had with her. He dated her before, he should know how she'd react to that. Even so, I actually found they had more chemistry in this episode than they did when they were dating the first time. I do hope though they can bring back some of the humor though. I don't want this turning into a soap opera. I have to admit though that I might have laughed about the shooting-the-foot bit IF they didn't use that clip in commercials all week. Since I knew it was coming, it wasn't funny.

Sheldon/Amy.... I didn't like those scenes at all. I didn't really find any of it funny EXCEPT the look on Leonard's face at the end when he walked in on another Flag-video tape session (right before he walked out. That's about it. I know Sheldon apparently has a thing for flags but this actually bored me. As for Amy, I guess I could see her going along at the beginning but to keep doing the video session, in my opinion was a little out of character. S4 Amy would have called it a waste of time. An inconsistency I noticed was that in S4 Sheldon stated that Amy doesn't believe in costumes/doesn't like that. And here she was being a pretzel? I don't know if anyone liked these parts but I just found it boring.

Not the best episode but not terrible.

I don't like Raj but I must say his Siri infatuation was funny. The funniest bit in the show was Kripky's (not sure of spelling) demonstration of how, "bad," Siri's voice recognition was. Sheldon's flag show was strange. I know he can be obsessed with things like flags, but I find it out of character for him to want to do a TV show about anything.

I had hopes for Leonard and Penny, but felt disappointed. It's like Leonard never learned anything from the past. He is supposed to be smart. Why would he make a list of faults and give them to Penny? Why didn't he know it was a stupid thing to do? No idea where they are going with this.

It was kind of funny hearing Penny say that her idea of a date was something more than sitting at home watching TV. A bit ironic for the actress. In fact that is exactly what Kaley Cuoco considers to be the perfect date. The night the Tattooed Man proposed they were on a, "quiet date at home."

I'd call it a solid episode. I thought Leonard shooting himself was hysterical. Bernadette's "I think I want to leave now" was hilarious, too.

Chalk "the list" up to Leonard still being a geek at heart and pathologically un-smooth.

I thought the part about the list when the said something about so penny doesn't look like the mother and he's the kid probably with her wearing heels since he's such a little homunculus

I don't like Raj but I must say his Siri infatuation was funny. The funniest bit in the show was Kripky's (not sure of spelling) demonstration of how, "bad," Siri's voice recognition was. Sheldon's flag show was strange. I know he can be obsessed with things like flags, but I find it out of character for him to want to do a TV show about anything.

I had hopes for Leonard and Penny, but felt disappointed. It's like Leonard never learned anything from the past. He is supposed to be smart. Why would he make a list of faults and give them to Penny? Why didn't he know it was a stupid thing to do? No idea where they are going with this.

I agree, Kripke's appearance was great. I had heard a while back that he was going to make another appearance in Season 5, and they couldn't have come up with a better reason to do so. I've been saying ever since the iPhone 4S was announced that Siri was going to have all kinds of problems with people who can't speak perfect English, and I'm glad this was made fun of here. xD

I also agree with your point on Sheldon and Amy's video podcast. I thought their segments were very strange and out of character, and it didn't do anything for me at all, except for maybe the beginning bit before the opening. And this is coming from someone who usually loves Shamy.

As for Leonard's keeping a list, I think it's because he's a scientist that it's his go-to response for solving problems. Write everything down, evaluate the details of the problem, and analyze the possible solution. When Leonard and Penny got into the fight about psychics, he tried to convince Penny to read a book about it (i.e. access knowledge to fight for his side). I think this list is similar to that. For some reason, Leonard is just especially stupid when it comes to Penny. He never seemed to have these kinds of problems with the other girls he went out with. Then again, he didn't really know them long enough to get into those kinds of problems.

ETA:

When did penny try to change him? I don't think she would make a list if he didn't I kind of wished penny was reading another book, as for kaley say she gets married this summer and gets pregnant a couple months later and starts showing do you really think they'll have penny be pregnant that soon of course not, if penny gets pregnant it will have nothing to do with Kaley but if they have penny pregnant it would have to be the final season and if by chance Kaley is pregnant then they wouldn't have to strap a fake pregnant belly on her, but I don't think we have to worry about Kaley getting pregnant I just she her if she gets married the marriage lasting a few years and getting a divorce sometime during the series.

that was a great episode. I loved the end dream sequence

Previous episode

I just think it was to move the story along

Shocking huh it did feel like an earlier episode and wow penny and Leonard getting along for the most part like a normal couple who don't fight all the time shocking

Penny talks about it to Amy and Bernadette shortly after she starts having to stay away from Leonard due to Priya. In the episode where Priya makes the demand. When Penny interrupts their(Leonard and Priya)date she congrats Priya on getting Leonard to change his wardrobe because she had tried to but was unable to.

These two instances show that Penny has tried to change Leonard, albeit unsuccessfully. She also got him to go see the physic in season three whereas she refused to read that book that he had on debunking of people who claimed to be physic.

On the whole Leonard has been more accommodating to Penny then she has been to him.

Back to list. That really was stupid of him but Penny got him back so to speak. I would have laughed at him shooting himself accept that I saw that bit coming a mile away. The moment they were in the range, I knew somehow that Leonard was going to shoot himself.

The Raj and Siri stuff was pathetic. They really need to get rid of that mutism bit. It's hurting his character in a big way. Bernadette's reaction at the apartment was spot on with how we the audience should feel after been subjected to this storyline.

The Sheldon and Amy stuff was ok. Nothing hysterical there.

The funniest stuff was the interactions between Raj and Sheldon in their office. Those moments are almost always hilarious. Need more of that.

It is nice to see Raj again, especially in that suit. Enjoyed the unpeeling of the plastic, Howard's face! The Penny and Leonard story line was very good. I like the Fun with Flags too, I really thought Amy was going to whack Sheldon with the white flag, and I think she almost did, but for me the funniest part was Sheldon, Raj and Kripke (oh how I miss Kripke) in the office. All in all I thought a good solid episode.

No I didn't and no she doesn't she's always looked like that

This was the point I was trying to make.... she has always looked "puffy", especially noticeable in the season 4 finale.

As for the episode... I really enjoyed this one. I would go so far as to say one of the best of the season thus far.

I could relate to Raj and Howard's removal of the plastic cover on the phone.

Kripke's scene was brilliant. Hope to see him back again soon.

Sheldon's flag podcast was hysterical. Loved every second of this episode.

Four smiles up ! :) :) :) :)