The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.14 The Beta Test Initiation (Jan. 26)

How do you rate this episode?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

I liked this episode allot. I liked the interaction between Leonard and Penny. They seemed much more mature and relaxed with each other. I did have a problem with Leonard's list though. For a genius he sure does some stupid things.

Kripke's scene was funny. To bad that Shelton didn't record it on his phone. The next time that he wants to get back to Kripke for something he could post that although it would be a bit cruel to make fun of Kripke's speech impediment.

Penny and Leonard's experience at the pistol range held my attention, first because it was a pistol range, second because Leonard went through the trouble of calling Penny's father to find out what she likes to do for fun, and third because "there's no hugging at a pistol range!". The last part stuck out to me because earlier in the day my son and I went to the range where some guy brought in his girlfriend and one of her friends. Besides hugging, there is also no giggling at a range! Just a personal annoyance.

Last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory finished ahead of American Idol in the ratings for the same half-hour period. The Big Bang Theory was the night's highest-rated and most-watched scripted show.

"The Beta Test Initiation" was watched by 15.96 million people, up from 15.83m last week, and scored a 9.6/15 rating in households. The Big Bang Theory scored a 5.4/14 rating in the key adults 18-49 demographic, up by one tenth of a ratings point from last week. The Big Bang Theory also scored a 6.8/17 among adults 25-54 and a 4.0/13 rating in the 18-34 demo.

When compared to American Idol in the common half-hour (8:00-8:30), The Big Bang Theory finished first in total viewers, adults 25-54, adults 18-49 and adults 18-34. Idol's ratings for that time-period were 15.46m viewers, 4.8/14 in the 18-49 demo, 5.9/15 among adults 25-54 and 3.4/11 in the 18-34 demo. When measured across the hour as a whole, American Idol finishes first in total viewers with 16.99m audience and ties Big Bang in the 18-49 demo.

The Big Bang Theory matched its Thursday-highs in the adults 18-49 and adults 18-34 ratings and matched its second-best Thursday ratings among adults 25-54.

http://the-big-bang-theory.com/story/1663/Episode-514-Ratings-Bigger-than-Idol/

Penny and Leonard's experience at the pistol range held my attention, first because it was a pistol range, second because Leonard went through the trouble of calling Penny's father to find out what she likes to do for fun, and third because "there's no hugging at a pistol range!". The last part stuck out to me because earlier in the day my son and I went to the range where some guy brought in his girlfriend and one of her friends. Besides hugging, there is also no giggling at a range! Just a personal annoyance.

I tuned in at that point... the "I play Grand Theft Auto and know about gats" with the AD immediately following got me. They ain't no way anyone could learn about weaponry for real playing any video game there is.

AD's aren't funny.

Sometimes the stretched humor goes a bit too far.

I tuned in at that point... the "I play Grand Theft Auto and know about gats" with the AD immediately following got me. They ain't no way anyone could learn about weaponry for real playing any video game there is.

AD's aren't funny.

Not to mention that all that Penny did was seat the magazine into the pistol, she didn't jack a round in. In other words, unless there was already a round in the chamber the pistol wasn't loaded yet.

Just have to say thats Sheldon's and Leonard's appartment flag - looks REALLY SIMILLAR to one of small towns in Poland . Check MARKLOWICE in POLAND lol

Am I the only one who thinks that this show is becoming less and less of a sitcom and more and more of a soap opera? I like Penny and Sheldon but I feel that that is taking away too much show time. This show used to be about geeks and science; something that is becoming rarer with every episodes. I guess the good old days of killer robots, helium voices and mystic warlords or Ka'a are over!!!

I think at this moment everyone's eyes are on Shamy rather than Lenny. The writers are risking a lot by returning to the same old same old plot. It is a beta testing indeed. All my friends cannot wait for a Shamy moment or other subplots with Raj and Howard. Penny and Lenard plot is no more important for the show than the Howard - Bernadette story. Less so, I'd say. And am I the only one who sees a strong resemblance between Lenard's mother and Amy?

They ain't no way anyone could learn about weaponry for real playing any video game there is.

Anders Behring Breivik says otherwise.

Actually, debating the pros and cons of totally fictional caricatures such as the four guys is really a tribute to the excellent writing that can arouse such interest in imaginary people. :)

AD's aren't funny.

Not to mention that all that Penny did was seat the magazine into the pistol, she didn't jack a round in. In other words, unless there was already a round in the chamber the pistol wasn't loaded yet.

Actually she jacked the slide before she put the clip in, so there is no way there was a round in the chamber.

I rewatched the episode as I always do. I found myself annoyed. Why the hell do they insist on writing Leonard as an idiot who cannot learn from the past? The guy is supposed to have an IQ above 160 and can't seem to remember that giving Penny a list of faults to work on is a bad idea. It's like they took up the relationship they wrote in season 3. Can't these two have learned anything? Let's see a different level of relationship. Find some comedy in it. The gun scene, in spite of the tech problem of the gun not being loaded, was funny. The whole bug report crappola was just dumb. Penny knows she loves him and should not have dumped him. We have been shown that. Leonard has never gotten over her. Shouldn't there have been more tenderness and relief in the restart? If we are stuck with the relationship stories instead of the old nerd stuff we all loved, at least they could get it right. They could have hit the heights if they just had Penny tell Leonard she loved him. That, after all, was what broke them up.

AD's aren't funny.

Actually she jacked the slide before she put the clip in, so there is no way there was a round in the chamber.

I rewatched the episode as I always do. I found myself annoyed. Why the hell do they insist on writing Leonard as an idiot who cannot learn from the past? The guy is supposed to have an IQ above 160 and can't seem to remember that giving Penny a list of faults to work on is a bad idea. It's like they took up the relationship they wrote in season 3. Can't these two have learned anything? Let's see a different level of relationship. Find some comedy in it. The gun scene, in spite of the tech problem of the gun not being loaded, was funny. The whole bug report crappola was just dumb. Penny knows she loves him and should not have dumped him. We have been shown that. Leonard has never gotten over her. Shouldn't there have been more tenderness and relief in the restart? If we are stuck with the relationship stories instead of the old nerd stuff we all loved, at least they could get it right. They could have hit the heights if they just had Penny tell Leonard she loved him. That, after all, was what broke them up.

"not learning from the past" began with I Love Lucy, and no sit-com since has deviated from the seminal situations of ILL which covered all the bases for silly behavior.

No one learns from the past on a sit-com.

Leonard and the rest of the guys may be geniuses in their respective fields they are morons in the personal relationship department. Despite the knit picking on my part about the range scene, I did think that it was funny. I also liked the scene between Penny and Leonard outside of Leonard's apartment. It wasn't funny but it was a good scene between them.

I don't think the will they or won't the get together is boring it keeps you watching to see when they will get together, plus it's too soon and if they got together now in the long haul the show would turn boring and stale because there's no intrigue, I'm not saying they can't get together now but they should only get together towards the end if the series, plus I agree if they get back together the writers need to do a better job of writing for them, l/p season 3 was a joke they didn't do anything didn't learn anything about their wants, needs, likes, diskles they didn't connect they were just there if it's going to be different then let's see what happens but if it's season 3 again, just turn the page on those two and move forward.

IMO in season 3 it wasn't a joke, i think it was pretty much planned this way.. back then they only had the physical side of the relationship.. they were pretty much how Sheldon describes this sort of things, now they are really getting to know eachother and i hope soon they are going to combine those two sides and they will live happily ever after... I really have faith in the creators and writers of this show, they have it all planned out usually and they know what they are doing.

I am so pleased Barry is back!!

Also the episode was the best one so far of the series; well written and funny. I got an extra giggle when Sheldon said that the second pod cast on flags was writing itself LMAO

Matt

I really did enjoy this episode. I'm not much help in explaining what I enjoyed about it because I have unfortunatly forgetten what I wanted to talk about (too many days since I've watched the episode).

I was waiting on them to bring Siri in for Raj though. I just knew it was going to happen. Berni being weirded out by it was funny.

Sheldon's flag podcasts were pretty funny but I feel they came out of now where

AD's aren't funny.

Well what guy would give a list of a woman's much less his dream girl a list of her faults and I can't believe penny just took it like it was a normal thing and not go junior rodeo on him like he's trying to build a perfect gf but got mad when Sheldon tried to train her. The season 3 was a waste it was all physical from them they didn't learn anything from one another. I'm not sure penny loved him then or she would've said it and then what fun would that be, but they would've been a reason to brake up with him if you watch the few episodes before that she was getting tired of him, she cared deeply for him but not like he did for her. Well all I ever learn from them is countless reasons why she shouldn't be with Leonard and move on and do better as compared to reasons why the should be together. But if they are going to be together have them learn from the past and it's like Leonard hasn't learned anything since he's meet her, and make them learn about each other and have normal relationship.

Repeated from other threads: I have added the episode poll to the the thread. Before Christmas we were adding polls to the episode threads as they aired, but I completely forgot about it over the Christmas break. I'll add polls to all the episodes I missed and try get back to adding them each week as the episodes air.

I just had a thought, maybe Leonard thought it was okay to give Penny the list of faults because Priya seemed to be trying to change HIM? Yeah he should know PENNY wouldn't like it but if Priya was his only other long-term relationship, and she tried to change him then maybe that's all he was thinking about. It would be nice if the show explains his motives but I doubt they will.

I just had a thought, maybe Leonard thought it was okay to give Penny the list of faults because Priya seemed to be trying to change HIM? Yeah he should know PENNY wouldn't like it but if Priya was his only other long-term relationship, and she tried to change him then maybe that's all he was thinking about. It would be nice if the show explains his motives but I doubt they will.

Well penny isn't priya she doesn't stand for that crap or treatment, yes priya changed him but she didn't give him a list of what she'd change of him, what would make Leonard think it would be okay to try and change penny much less give her a list, I thought penny is leonard's dream girl so anything about her he wouldn't want changed because she's perfect in everyone to him because she's his dream girl.

I would be offended if someone gave me a list of things they wanted to change about me, and especially so if they colour marked them to highlight in what priority they wanted me to fix them, but I don't live in a sit-com. Leonard wants to learn from the past, he wants this to work, so he is willing to change if Penny wants, and he only sees it as fair that it works both ways. I like their Beta- Testing relationship.

It was nice to see Raj again, and Kripke (love any episode with Kripke). I thought the Fun with Flags was the weakest of the story lines for me.

I would be offended if someone gave me a list of things they wanted to change about me, and especially so if they colour marked them to highlight in what priority they wanted me to fix them, but I don't live in a sit-com. Leonard wants to learn from the past, he wants this to work, so he is willing to change if Penny wants, and he only sees it as fair that it works both ways. I like their Beta- Testing relationship.

It was nice to see Raj again, and Kripke (love any episode with Kripke). I thought the Fun with Flags was the weakest of the story lines for me.

well there's a difference between realizing your mistakes and wanting to change and make this work but she just pointed out a couple things and then for him to dislike that many qualities of her and enough to make a list, speaks volumes if it was me I'd tell him where he could put that list and he wouldn't like it. Penny never felt the need to want to change him even though she'd wants to change his clothes especially after she went through his closet that time and I'm sure at times his hobbies get on her nerves at time but she never wanted too because that's who he is and never presented a list.