Howard's mother

That's right. Never seen, only heard. Similar to Captain Mainwaring's wife (Elizabeth) in Dad's Army and also Lieutenant Columbo's wife whom you only see him speaking to on the phone. In Dad's Army the closest you get to seeing Elizabeth is when they're in a bunk bed together. Mainwaring's in the bottom bunk and there's this enormous bulge hanging over him which he keeps bumping his head on. Anyone know any other TV characters only referred to and never seen?

• 3 weeks later...

I've never seen Howard's mother but she's funny. Her voice is funny, it makes me laugh all the time. I love the relationship between Howard and his mother, they are so cute and they are really close to each other. Even though it's embarrassing for Howard still living with his mother, I find it very sweet because he loves his mother so much.

If you wanna see Howard's mom, or at least the actress who plays her, in an episode of Seinfeld, where she plays the daughter of a woman working at the unemployment office who George dates to maintain his benefits. I'm sure you can see her in various other roles, she's been working for some time, but that's the one that stands out for me.

Btw, her name is Carol Ann Susi & I am extending my unsolicited vote that we see Mrs Wolowitz. She could surely pass for Howard's mom & besides, not seeing her feels a little too C&C Music Factory/Martha Walsh to me.

Btw, her name is Carol Ann Susi & I am extending my unsolicited vote that we see Mrs Wolowitz. She could surely pass for Howard's mom & besides, not seeing her feels a little too C&C Music Factory/Martha Walsh to me.

I think that Howard's mother is best heard and not seen. Especially from some of the descriptions we get about her from Howard and the rest of the characters. And Carol Ann Susi is, IMO at least, quite an attractive woman, so actually seeing her on the show might punch a big hole in what the audience actually expects her to look like. Actually, the 'mother' I'd like to see more of on the show is Leonard's, played by the fabulous Christine Baranski. That woman just cracks me up!

I think that Howard's mother is best heard and not seen. Especially from some of the descriptions we get about her from Howard and the rest of the characters. And Carol Ann Susi is, IMO at least, quite an attractive woman, so actually seeing her on the show might punch a big hole in what the audience actually expects her to look like. Actually, the 'mother' I'd like to see more of on the show is Leonard's, played by the fabulous Christine Baranski. That woman just cracks me up!

Shout out to Laurie Metcalf, whose relationship with Sheldon has been the source of many laughs AND Mr. & Mrs. Kuthrpali, for reminding us all that marriage does work, especially when you have servants bringing up the rear.

That's right. Never seen, only heard. Similar to Captain Mainwaring's wife (Elizabeth) in Dad's Army and also Lieutenant Columbo's wife whom you only see him speaking to on the phone. In Dad's Army the closest you get to seeing Elizabeth is when they're in a bunk bed together. Mainwaring's in the bottom bunk and there's this enormous bulge hanging over him which he keeps bumping his head on. Anyone know any other TV characters only referred to and never seen?

You never saw Maris from Frasier, and I think we should never see Mrs Wolowitz.

You never saw Maris from Frasier, and I think we should never see Mrs Wolowitz.

The writers from Frasier also waited SEVEN years to bring Daphne & Niles together. They admitted feeling they couldn't cast Maris after a while & then served us Maris-light (i.e. Mel). This indicates that there was a certain lack of hutzpah on their part.