Penny & old Friends

BillF63

In the first couple of seasons Penny is depicted as having friends and a life outside of and separate from the four guys. But in the later seasons she doesn't seem to have any friends away from the core group. Now Bernadette and Amy seems to be her best friends.

I wonder why they changed it like they did?

I remember the episode where Leonard learns football so he can blend in with her friends. Then there was the episode where Howard hits on her friend from back home. At the end of that episode Penny comes back with her friends after going to a club and opens the door to the boys apartment where they are playing Halo 3 and says her and friends want to" have sex with them" but they're too engrossed in their game to notice.

I wonder where did all her friends go?

Maybe they want us to think that her and those friends have grown apart. Maybe hanging out with the guys has made her realize those were not the kind of people she needed to be hanging out with and so they parted ways.

I like that answer. :fi_lone_ranger:

Maybe they want us to think that her and those friends have grown apart. Maybe hanging out with the guys has made her realize those were not the kind of people she needed to be hanging out with and so they parted ways.

But there is a flaw to my theory. Penny's recent drinking like a fish.

Just because she may have changed friends doesn't means she has learned an ulterior method of coping with stress.

Or maybe the writers just forgot that Penny had friends outside of L/S/H/R/B/A.

I think that is the most likely scenario. It would be interesting to go back through the episodes to see when the last time she mentioned or was with a friend outside of the core group.

Actually I think the last mentioned outside friend was Emily, her deaf friend from spin class in the Wiggly Finger Catalyst (Season 5, episode 4). There is a mention of her friends here and there, but they have definitely been spaced out with each new season.

But there is a flaw to my theory. Penny's recent drinking like a fish.

Just because she may have changed friends doesn't means she has learned an ulterior method of coping with stress.

That could be a very good way to make that theory work lol

well if i may add to avoidingtheworld theory maybe pennys friends realized PENNY is the one they dont want to hang out with so far in season 5 amy has taken to drinking in parking lots ( penny taught her that ) later PENNY gets amy and bernie into helping her steal clothes from a charity bin if penny was a friend of mine i would dropped her like the bad habit she is

I guess it's time to bring this up again. They don't have a grand plan or plot. They write this thing one episode at a time. Penny had friends in one episode because they had jokes about Leonard not understanding sports. She had friends in another episode, for the party, where Leonard confronts Kurt. They haven't had a story line lately that required Penny to have more friends. If they come up with one, they will surely drag some extras in for it. If they have some good jokes about Penny being from Kansas (instead of Nebraska) they will go with that. After putting Penny in bed with Raj on a bottle of wine, there is no shark to great to jump. After all, Sheldon, who is allergic to cats, once bought 25 of them and they stayed in his bedroom with him with the door closed. He is afraid of hospitals, though he has been in one at least twice before with no problem. Once, he was actually trying to get Leonard's doctor girlfriend to do tests on him. There is nobody employed with the show to track continuity. Or, if there is, nobody listens to them.

I guess it's time to bring this up again. They don't have a grand plan or plot. They write this thing one episode at a time.

I'm starting to think that it's a good idea to think of TBBT as an old-time sitcom, such as I Love Lucy, where the characters have distinct personality traits but there is no continuity from one episode to the next.

So we know that

Ricky is a bandleader who starts speaking Spanish when he is angry

Lucy will create some crazy scheme to get into Ricky's show

Ethel will help her

And every episode is based on those premises and nothing else.

You never hear Ethel telling Ricky about something that happened in the previous episode.

That's the problem. Some things do get carried over to newer episodes and some things don't. Sometimes characters will refer to something that happened in the past, like Sheldon driving Penny to the hospital when she dislocated her shoulder, or when Howard tried to kiss Penny she punched him in the nose. The security system they set up in Season 3 made repeat appearances afterward. Of course, there is then the character development that comes up when the guys get girlfriends, Howard gets engaged, etc. It's things like that that set us up to expect continuity, but when certain details become contradictory, they conveniently say, "Oh, we only write the plots episode by episode."

• 1 month later...

the show is about the "beauty" hanging with the "brains".

it's not a show about Penny herself. it's about her interacting with these smart guys.

she does have other friends (you can see pictures on the fridge in her apartment) but those friends aren't meant to be part of the plot lines. (unless it's an ex boyfriend, or her football friends).