The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.15 The Friendship Contraction (Feb. 2)

How do you rate this episode?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

"The Friendship Contraction" – Sheldon's selfish demands force Leonard to reconsider their friendship. Meanwhile, Wolowitz tries to pick his astronaut nickname, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, Feb. 2 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. NASA astronaut Mike Massimino guest stars as himself.

Episode Guide | Wiki

Sheldon's selfish demands force Leonard to reconsider their friendship.

Seriously? After 11 years? Hope they tread lightly on this subject.

Agreed. I'm curious, yet apprehensive about how they handle it. On another note though, it's been a while since we've had a science-related guest appearance. :)

Science-related guest appearances are not that common, it seems; there was George Smoot in season 2, and Neil deGrasse Tyson and Brian Greene in season 4. Most of them are sci-fi related. Good to have Massimino.

Science-related guest appearances are not that common, it seems; there was George Smoot in season 2, and Neil deGrasse Tyson and Brian Greene in season 4. Most of them are sci-fi related. Good to have Massimino.

That is because most of the legit science people aren't good on camera. They really can't act to save their lives. George Smoot was about as wooden as you could get and even though he only had one line it was night and day the difference between watching him deliver a line and having it come across as unnatural as it can get and Parson's who's deliveries all came across as natural. I've seen enough bad acting to know the difference.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is the exception that proves the rule. That guy despite being a real life astrophysicist, is entertaining as well as being informative at the same time. If he ever decides to retire from his current profession he could easily be an actor or even stand up comic.

To be fair, Neil deGrasse Tyson has had a lot more screen time than George Smoot.

Smoot.

He clearly has a natural talent for performing whereas Smoot clearly doesn't.

I thought Greene was pretty good too, with his puzzled expressions in reaction to Sheldon's digs.

To be fair, Neil deGrasse Tyson has had a lot more screen time than George Smoot.

Smoot.

He clearly has a natural talent for performing whereas Smoot clearly doesn't.

Tyson is a good performer who studied under Carl Sagan who was also a good performer.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is my favorite astrophysicist and I had hoped he would be on the show some day and I was very happy and surprised to see him on the show because I didn't know he was going to be on that day. I hope they have him on again.

I thought the show was eh, I realize living with Sheldon would be difficult but really Leonard say something before not years later the guys just accept it while penny puts her foot down when it's time to. But the idea that Sheldon can't function on his own is laughable I mean what did he do from the time he left for college, visited Germany and then moved to California, but it seems at time they're more like a chauffer than sheldon's friends, but Leonard should and the rest of the guys should stand up when Sheldon goes to far, but it'd be nice if Leonard started acting like his friend most of the time.

I thought the show was eh, I realize living with Sheldon would be difficult but really Leonard say something before not years later the guys just accept it while penny puts her foot down when it's time to. But the idea that Sheldon can't function on his own is laughable I mean what did he do from the time he left for college, visited Germany and then moved to California, but it seems at time they're more like a chauffer than sheldon's friends, but Leonard should and the rest of the guys should stand up when Sheldon goes to far, but it'd be nice if Leonard started acting like his friend most of the time.

You may need to remember this is a situation comedy and not real life. They put characters in situations that fits their quirks and it may not be realistic nor always follow previous continuity.

I found the episode to be very much in the spirit of the first few seasons. It was mostly about the core group with very little from Bernadette and Amy. Mind you, I love those two girls but it was good to see the show back to its basics with some good nerd references.

You may need to remember this is a situation comedy and not real life. They put characters in situations that fits their quirks and it may not be realistic nor always follow previous continuity.

I found the episode to be very much in the spirit of the first few seasons. It was mostly about the core group with very little from Bernadette and Amy. Mind you, I love those two girls but it was good to see the show back to its basics with some good nerd references.

Wow really I didn't know it was show thinks for telling me. Now like I said,eh. The whole concept was a drang that Sheldon couldn't function by himself.

It's not all that different from the episode in Season 2, where the guys were trying to get Sheldon to learn how to drive. He was bugging everyone in the same way to drive him to work, home, the comic book store, Pottery Barn, etc. because Leonard had to work late nights and couldn't drive him during the day.

As for my thoughts about this episode, I thought it was nice that they gave more screen time to the guys again, and allow them to interact more without the girls around to overshadow them. I wouldn't say it was an amazing episode, but I did get some good laughs out of it.

Pity for a show that uses lots of scientific theories and principles they couldn't get the number of Red Dwarf episodes right. Sheldon stated that he had 61 episodes. This is only true at the end of the year. Current count is 55

smeghead will be so happy to see Red Dwarf got a plug. @sameness: i guess the writers were going for the end total so in years to come the episode would still be accurate.

I loved this episode.

Was a shame we had to have Raj with a beer in hand. I think it's time the writers finally addressed this and maybe just had him go under hypnosis and end the whole mutism thing.

In the past I have always enjoyed Raj's mutism, but it's being turned on and off whenever the writers need it to be... I think they should just let the man speak.

The Crocodile Dundee salute was funny in a Big Bang kinda way.

This episode smacked of everything that made the first two seasons great viewing.

Four smiles up :) :) :) :)

Speaking of Neil deGrasse Tyson, I only just finished Stargate: Atlantis the other month and he played himself pretty well in that.

I did like this episode compared to the last 6 or so from season 5. The guys were back at the Uni cafe albeit talking about roomate agreements and not science but still pretty good. Also at the comic book store yay. I guess the writers are starting to repeat themselves a little bit when it comes to the original cast.

"The meatballs are pretty good"

Wow really I didn't know it was show thinks for telling me. Now like I said,eh. The whole concept was a drang that Sheldon couldn't function by himself.

I found the whole concept funny and in character for Sheldon. It is realistic? Not at all.

It's not all that different from the episode in Season 2, where the guys were trying to get Sheldon to learn how to drive. He was bugging everyone in the same way to drive him to work, home, the comic book store, Pottery Barn, etc. because Leonard had to work late nights and couldn't drive him during the day.

As for my thoughts about this episode, I thought it was nice that they gave more screen time to the guys again, and allow them to interact more without the girls around to overshadow them. I wouldn't say it was an amazing episode, but I did get some good laughs out of it.

I don't know why the would write a episode that they've already done, of course the first one is funnier.

Was Sheldon in character yeah, just the whole idea that sheldon can't function is not that believeable when he must have done it in the past.

I found the whole concept funny and in character for Sheldon. It is realistic? Not at all.

smeghead will be so happy to see Red Dwarf got a plug. @sameness: i guess the writers were going for the end total so in years to come the episode would still be accurate.

I loved this episode.

Was a shame we had to have Raj with a beer in hand. I think it's time the writers finally addressed this and maybe just had him go under hypnosis and end the whole mutism thing.

In the past I have always enjoyed Raj's mutism, but it's being turned on and off whenever the writers need it to be... I think they should just let the man speak.

The Crocodile Dundee salute was funny in a Big Bang kinda way.

This episode smacked of everything that made the first two seasons great viewing.

Four smiles up :) :) :) :)

I think the need to address raj's mutism it was funny at first now it's just not really anything anymore, it's run it's course, they need for him to address it in some way, he's been friends with penny for 5 years, Bernadette 3 and Amy 2 who are all part of the group yet he can't still talk at all like some scared child.

Fruit loops, haha. I thought howard would play rocket man and he'd get called Elton John or some other gay nickname but fruit loops was funny, which kind can be a gay nickname.

I know Sheldon lacks social skills but when Leonard went to penny's apt. during the blackout after Sheldon tried to bribe him to stay that he wouldn't know what guy would do with a guy in the dark and candles, he's not retarded.

Now how was Sheldon suppose to convince Leonard to stay and watch DVDs if the power is out.

Say hypothetically Leonard and penny got married would Sheldon somehow live in a spare room in their house, because I'm led to believe he can't function alone.

I thought it was funny when penny was telling Leonard that Sheldon just misses him, and said that Sheldon misses his little buddy(insert short joke,haha).

Not very pleased with this episode as it does not follow the mythology of the roommate agreement.

The agreement was drawn up before they were friends and Leonard having to drive, pick up dinner, bathroom regulations and the rest were terms for him living there. Indeed in the episode where Priya challenged the agreement Sheldon ended up closing loopholes in it.

Now they could have gotten around this by simply having Sheldon state that he had put this 'escape hatch' into the agreement for his own use but they didn't.

There are a lot of things that the writers can slide with but Sheldon's quirks are really the structure that the show hangs on and the roommate agreement has been a central plot point in too many episodes - and too important to who Sheldon is -to play so loose with it.