The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.15 The Friendship Contraction (Feb. 2)

How do you rate this episode?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

Remember, Sheldon is amoral, and will do anything for his own purposes.

Whining, and blackmail are just part of his attacks in the past.

Leonard better watch his back!

Pity for a show that uses lots of scientific theories and principles they couldn't get the number of Red Dwarf episodes right. Sheldon stated that he had 61 episodes. This is only true at the end of the year. Current count is 55

I assume Netmouse is correct in his hypothesis.Very clever. Shows someone over there must be following RD.

smeghead will be so happy to see Red Dwarf got a plug.

Yes, indeedy,very pleased.

An excellent episode. 2 nerdy storylines with very little "Friends". Excellent stuff. Cant remember the last time I watched an episode twice back-to-back. Plenty of LOL lines also. Too many to list. Been a while since that happened also. That would have merited top spot in the poll if they were still going.

Classic old-school Sheldon again.

First Crocodile Dundee reference also , Netmouse?

The preliminary ratings point to this episode being the most-watched episode of the show ever.

http://the-big-bang-theory.com/story/1665/Episode-515-Ratings/

If the network assume rating are based mainly on trailers, I wonder if this will encoutrage them to get back more to the old format, or is it that the competition was on a break that night???

For me this was honestly the most disappointing episode of Big Bang Theory I've ever watched. I even went as far as too watch it a second time and spend the night mulling it over, but I still am reaching the same conclusion. This episode was a complete disappointment for me.

The main reason I felt this way was that I've been waiting for an episode to focus on this subject for a while. Sheldon always takes how much his friends do for him for granted and not understanding the purpose of common courtesy will only get him so much slack. All I would have wanted for this episode was for Sheldon to earn a tiny bit of honest respect for how much someone like Leonard does for him on a daily basis, but by the end of this episode we don't get any indication that anything at all has changed in the slightest. We never have any scenes that would suggest Sheldon is coming to realize everything Leonard does for him. No dialogue at all that even suggests he even has given that any consideration.

By the end of the episode Leonerd being offered 'Leonerd's day' could have been a sort of cute way for the writers to show that Leonerd is appreciated. Except for two things. One all Sheldon offers is one day where he essentially says thank you. No implication that its really sincere (in fact there's a fair amount of dialogue to still imply the opposite). Second, it takes Sheldon literally less than a minute to devalue the entire concept of the day made to appreciate his friend by his comment to penny when she sounds quizzical about 'Leonerd's day' and Sheldon just replies with "just get him a crummy card. Your good".

That single sentence honestly ruined any amount of enjoyment for the episode to me. It really showed that this was a wasted half hour. That there really is nothing to show there was any character growth for Sheldon in an episode plot where that honestly should have been a given.

For me this was honestly the most disappointing episode of Big Bang Theory I've ever watched. I even went as far as too watch it a second time and spend the night mulling it over, but I still am reaching the same conclusion. This episode was a complete disappointment for me.

The main reason I felt this way was that I've been waiting for an episode to focus on this subject for a while. Sheldon always takes how much his friends do for him for granted and not understanding the purpose of common courtesy will only get him so much slack. All I would have wanted for this episode was for Sheldon to earn a tiny bit of honest respect for how much someone like Leonard does for him on a daily basis, but by the end of this episode we don't get any indication that anything at all has changed in the slightest. We never have any scenes that would suggest Sheldon is coming to realize everything Leonard does for him. No dialogue at all that even suggests he even has given that any consideration.

By the end of the episode Leonerd being offered 'Leonerd's day' could have been a sort of cute way for the writers to show that Leonerd is appreciated. Except for two things. One all Sheldon offers is one day where he essentially says thank you. No implication that its really sincere (in fact there's a fair amount of dialogue to still imply the opposite). Second, it takes Sheldon literally less than a minute to devalue the entire concept of the day made to appreciate his friend by his comment to penny when she sounds quizzical about 'Leonerd's day' and Sheldon just replies with "just get him a crummy card. Your good".

That single sentence honestly ruined any amount of enjoyment for the episode to me. It really showed that this was a wasted half hour. That there really is nothing to show there was any character growth for Sheldon in an episode plot where that honestly should have been a given.

That's Sheldon. Totally self-centered. I'd have put him on "ignore" in the real world a long time ago, had I known anyone like him.

And characters don't grow on sitcoms. Same ol' same ol', season after season.

That's Sheldon. Totally self-centered. I'd have put him on "ignore" in the real world a long time ago, had I known anyone like him.

And characters don't grow on sitcoms. Same ol' same ol', season after season.

You can't say he's totally self centered if that's the case then he wouldn't do anything for his friends when they needed him or were in trouble, he's grown a little but personality is the same, he's not any different than the rest of the guys, leonard's day was in name only didn't seem anything different.

That episode was amusing :D

best laughs I had:

- the beginning: Sheldon wakes Leonard up with the alert and then he hustled him out of his bedroom :D :D

- Leonard and his lightsaber (a lightsaber is not a glow stick ) :D :D :D

- they all sat around the table in the apartment 4A and Sheldon asked around if someone would drive him to the dentist or if someone would do this or that for him (sorry I don`t remember all of it) and nobody said anything :D :D

- Fruit loops :D :D

Penny was cute with the bubble wrap. I liked that scene.

And I liked the episode a lot because it was about Sheldon& Leonards friendship. And I wanna see more.

Oh yeah and Leonard is such a loyal friend(sarcasm), Leonard isn't any better.

Oh yeah and Leonard is such a loyal friend(sarcasm), Leonard isn't any better.

Leonard is remarkably dense, fer shure!

But don't confuse "loyalty" with dog-like unquestioning admiration.

We might see that rarity of rarities, an actual growth in character, if Leonard pursues the situation of forcing Sheldon to act his age, and become independent, and not so critical of everyone else........

I crack me up! :)

Sheldon's selfish demands force Leonard to reconsider their friendship.

Seriously? After 11 years? Hope they tread lightly on this subject.

Agreed. I don't think it's too much to ask that the writers know the characters for whom they are writing. Or that they apply a certain standard when writing for them. For example, if they find it necessary to alter the essence of a character in order to accommodate a joke, STOP! If they find they need to contradict something already presented about a character in order to accommodate a joke, STOP! If they cannot distinguish between quirks in a character from obnoxious behavior/lines better written for somone on the Jersey Shore, STOP! I am ranting & so I digress.

I enjoyed seeing Leonard stand up to the Roommate Agreement. We've seen him bypass it in previous episodes, but never completely broken that contract. Also, it's nice to see Leonard and Penny back together again. I like how they are taking things slowly. I believe Leonard and Penny made a mistake to allow their relationship become physical too quickly back in season three. Neither were quite ready, but I think they now know each other well enough to have a serious relationship that will probably end in marriage, if the precedents of every other TV series are to be followed.

I enjoyed seeing Leonard stand up to the Roommate Agreement. We've seen him bypass it in previous episodes, but never completely broken that contract. Also, it's nice to see Leonard and Penny back together again. I like how they are taking things slowly. I believe Leonard and Penny made a mistake to allow their relationship become physical too quickly back in season three. Neither were quite ready, but I think they now know each other well enough to have a serious relationship that will probably end in marriage, if the precedents of every other TV series are to be followed.

Except is was same old same old with the roommate aggrement and with Sheldon and Leonard at the end, the way they wrote penny and Leonard in season 3 was a mistake.

I thought the show was eh, I realize living with Sheldon would be difficult but really Leonard say something before not years later the guys just accept it while penny puts her foot down when it's time to. But the idea that Sheldon can't function on his own is laughable I mean what did he do from the time he left for college, visited Germany and then moved to California, but it seems at time they're more like a chauffer than sheldon's friends, but Leonard should and the rest of the guys should stand up when Sheldon goes to far, but it'd be nice if Leonard started acting like his friend most of the time.

With some exceptions this last season(5) I think the show has been pretty consistent. Leanord is so much more accepting of Sheldon for one simple reason: he grew up with a Sheldon, his mother. Germany & Europe are easier to get around without a car; there's a reason people go biking through Europe. Also, I can totally see an un-chauffered Sheldon walking the streets with his bag strapped diagnolly across his chest.

I thought the show was eh, I realize living with Sheldon would be difficult but really Leonard say something before not years later the guys just accept it while penny puts her foot down when it's time to. But the idea that Sheldon can't function on his own is laughable I mean what did he do from the time he left for college, visited Germany and then moved to California, but it seems at time they're more like a chauffer than sheldon's friends, but Leonard should and the rest of the guys should stand up when Sheldon goes to far, but it'd be nice if Leonard started acting like his friend most of the time.

With some exceptions this last season(5) I think the show has been pretty consistent. Leanord is so much more accepting of Sheldon for one simple reason: he grew up with a Sheldon, his mother. Germany & Europe are easier to get around without a car; there's a reason people go biking through Europe. Also, I can totally see an un-chauffered Sheldon walking the streets with his bag strapped diagnolly across his chest.

You are so wrong Sheldon is nothing like leonard's mom who is cold(which is where leonard's mommy issues and me attitude comes from) where Sheldon at times just doesn't know any better or knows the difference, Sheldon had to get from point to point b some how in Germany and living in the apt. before Leonard moved in, like I'm going to believe a man with sheldon's intelligence can't figure how to get to and from work.

You are so wrong Sheldon is nothing like leonard's mom who is cold(which is where leonard's mommy issues and me attitude comes from) where Sheldon at times just doesn't know any better or knows the difference, Sheldon had to get from point to point b some how in Germany and living in the apt. before Leonard moved in, like I'm going to believe a man with sheldon's intelligence can't figure how to get to and from work.

You have got to be kidding. S&L have already had conversations re eachothers mothers, S has a relationship & a correspondence w/L's mother. Really. If you were looking for a challenge, you certainly could have chosen a better subject. Lines have also been written re S's adventures on public transit. How do you think he stays so thin & has it dawned on anyone that he has gained weight since having a reiable source of transportation! Jim Parsons is a method actor god!

You have got to be kidding. S&L have already had conversations re eachothers mothers, S has a relationship & a correspondence w/L's mother. Really. If you were looking for a challenge, you certainly could have chosen a better subject. Lines have also been written re S's adventures on public transit. How do you think he stays so thin & has it dawned on anyone that he has gained weight since having a reiable source of transportation! Jim Parsons is a method actor god!

I'm not sure just because Sheldon respects leonard's mom's mind that makes him just like her, for one like unsaid there's a difference between not caring(leonard's mom) and not knowing the difference(Sheldon), Sheldon is a very loyal friend.

I also liked that the writers were mindful to make sure Leonard mentioned the lack of glow in the dark paint on the apartment floor.

Score 1 for continuity :)

I am in total agreement that Jim Parsons is brilliant, but I don't like the weight gain. It looks like he's been to the gym, his arm muscles are well buff.

I am in total agreement that Jim Parsons is brilliant, but I don't like the weight gain. It looks like he's been to the gym, his arm muscles are well buff.

haha As if Jim Parsons would go gymming. Might be putting weight on because he knows the show is on a downward spiral?

People kep mentioning the Croc Dundee reference, I must have missed it and will watch again. This episode I think should have been number 100, it's better than the last 5.

haha As if Jim Parsons would go gymming. Might be putting weight on because he knows the show is on a downward spiral?

People kep mentioning the Croc Dundee reference, I must have missed it and will watch again. This episode I think should have been number 100, it's better than the last 5.

So what does parson going to the gym have anything with the way the show is going? Yeah the show is on a downward spiral(sarcasm) becausse shows that have the ratings they have and beat american idol are on a downward spiral.

So what does parson going to the gym have anything with the way the show is going? Yeah the show is on a downward spiral(sarcasm) becausse shows that have the ratings they have and beat american idol are on a downward spiral.

He could beat me in an arm wrestle, and that is not right...! I like his form stringy, pale and Sheldon.

I love this show, but I despise reality TV. I don't watch it, so don't care what the hell it rates.

But do I know the pressure our show has, to compete with this nonsense. I hope TBBT will keep it's heart true and realise it a culture. Culture lasts the rest evaporates in time.

I think that Sheldon believes what he does, such as the emergency test, getting all the emergency packs ready etc is not just for him, but for his friend too. So he could possibly feel that Leonard isn't grateful for all the things he does for him too if it came to that.

He could beat me in an arm wrestle, and that is not right...! I like his form stringy, pale and Sheldon.

I love this show, but I despise reality TV. I don't watch it, so don't care what the hell it rates.

But do I know the pressure our show has, to compete with this nonsense. I hope TBBT will keep it's heart true and realise it a culture. Culture lasts the rest evaporates in time.

Well idol has been number 1 forever so the fact that TBBT beat out idol says something, not sure about the show needing to keeping true or compete with nonsense whatever that means, it's the same show, did you expect it to be every episode be about the guys and penny eat Thai food and debate sci fi every episode it had to evolve from that.

I don't see them altering from the course they have taken in Season 5. This is the highest rated season so far and those people don't mess with money of that sort. They will stick with the relationship drivel because that is what is paying the bills.

I don't see them altering from the course they have taken in Season 5. This is the highest rated season so far and those people don't mess with money of that sort. They will stick with the relationship drivel because that is what is paying the bills.

The show is about relationships yes it has nerdy stuffy in it but relationships is the main focus.