Why do you think the show is so popular

I love the show been watching it since season 1 but i dont understand why it gets so many views. Most shows start out and drop in view but the big bang theory has gone up every season and is now getting more view than American Idol. Any Theory's? Well besides season 4 slight drop the show seems to have lost no views where most fall off.

Season 1: 8.31 mil

Season 2: 9.98 mil

Season 3: 14.14 mil

Season 4: 13.14 mil

Season 5: 15.53 mil

Where's 4ofN when you need him?? :)

Seasons 1,2 and 3 pretty much catered to the true nerds at heart, but many fans feel the show shifted it's dynamic in season 4 and moreso season 5, and as a result the show now appeals to a less geeky but more mainstream audience.

That's the vibe I've picked up, anyways.

I think a lot of shows, early on at least, will build an audience through word of mouth and being scheduled closely to other shows people like. I think most of the initial audience will have been people who watch other CBS Monday sitcoms (How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men), and perhaps a few people who were fans of individual BBT cast members. Season 1 was, to some degree, a tricky season for the show with the writer's strike. That made it a harder to build an audience as the show went into reruns for a few months after only eight weeks. I think growth from Season 1 to 2 will just have been people who heard about the show from other fans or perhaps fans of the other Monday night sitcoms who had not yet discovered the show.

The growth during Season 3 is pretty much down to the fact it changed slots from Mondays at 8 to Mondays at 9:30 following Two and a Half Men. That was America's most popular sitcom at the time and had a huge audience. More people watch TV at 9:30 than 8:00 and obviously the show benefited from having a very strong lead-in. Both shows being Chuck Lorre shows, a lot of the Two and a Half Men audience stuck around for TBBT.

The drop in Season 4 was when the show moved to Thursdays at 8. Fewer people watch TV at 8 and the show no longer had a lead-in. That being said, that the ratings didn't drop that much shows that TBBT built an audience who followed it. Obviously only the cold, hard ratings matter, but I'd say the ratings the show got in Season 4 are more impressive than Season 3 because the show did it itself. It didn't have Two and a Half Men leading in. It was in an earlier time slot creating a new comedy block on another night and it carried most of its audience with it.

One reason for the increase this season is that the show has now entered syndication. The earlier seasons are now running all week on local stations and on TBS and they're doing very well in the ratings. There will be a lot of people seeing the show for the first time in syndication who will then start watching the original episodes on CBS.

LOL

Its funny that I just dropped by and commented on Disgusted's post about the change to the way Nielsen reports ratings (adding in the number of people watching later on DVR) since last summer. So I've adjusted my sig to take those changes into account. Note that the show is doing well, but not better than season 3.

I'd love to hear the arguments against this - I assume there will be some. I hope people's objections will help refine the assumptions I made so we can get the best picture.

(Oh and Master-Seph. I know, I know, ratings don't matter :) ).

p.s. For those wondering why I haven't made any actual comments about how I feel about the show in this post, it's not that hell has actually frozen over, it's that I haven't watched the last few episodes so I have nothing to say.

Seasons 1,2 and 3 pretty much catered to the true nerds at heart, but many fans feel the show shifted it's dynamic in season 4 and moreso season 5, and as a result the show now appeals to a less geeky but more mainstream audience.

That's the vibe I've picked up, anyways.

Good to know im only on season 3 right now :(

I hope the jokes are still funny are they just easier to understand.