Penny should go out with Sheldon

the creators of the show, the producers, and the writers said it ain't going to happen.

Here's a history lesson for Rick:

The creators, the producers, and the writers of Buffy the Vampire Slayer show all said that romantic Spike + Buffy is NEVER (and I mean NEVER EVER EVAH! :icon_lol:) going to happen. The stars and the writers of the show said "Ewww!" and many other things about the impossibility of that non-canon pairing.

Guess what? IT HAPPENED. :icon_cheesygrin::icon_lol:

There were tons of SEX, and FRIENDSHIP, and LOVE between Spike and Buffy. It became the OTP of that show, despite what the "GODS" (gosh, such a stupid half-brained monicker!) of that show previously said.

So never say never, Rick. Never say never. :icon_twisted::icon_lol:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only thing that makes them "standard couples" in your mind is that the pairings are not to your liking.  The only reason you keep harping on this "curve ball" or "twist" or what you think is "thin

OK, I normally sit out arguments like this one. But this one sailed way over the pale.   Please explain how Sheldon and Penny would bring out the best in each other? The characters of Penny and Shel

I loved the British Comedy "Are You Being Served" . Ran from 1972-1983 I believe. Penny in no way should go out with Sheldon. They have no interest nor any desire to be in a romantic relationship.

"So it's basically okay for Penny and Raj but not Sheldon and Penny that makes no sense. "

No, it's not "okay" for Penny and Raj but I don't see how if they do it has anything to do with incest. The ONLY one that I can see who keeps bringing up the incest factor between them is you.

As for Penny and Sheldon, try very hard to follow the reasoning. Sheldon treats Penny like a surrogate mother. IF he had sex with HER it would SEEM to almost be like incest. It would not actually be incest because to the best of my knowledge Penny is not in fact Sheldon's mother, he is not her father, and they are not siblings. It would be LIKE incest because of the way that he interacts with her. Similar to if she had sex with him it would almost be like she was a pedophile because she treats him like a small and troubled child. She would not actually be performing an act of pedophilia because Sheldon is an "adult". Sorry if this confuses you.

"So it's basically okay for Penny and Raj but not Sheldon and Penny that makes no sense. "

No, it's not "okay" for Penny and Raj but I don't see how if they do it has anything to do with incest. The ONLY one that I can see who keeps bringing up the incest factor between them is you.

As for Penny and Sheldon, try very hard to follow the reasoning. Sheldon treats Penny like a surrogate mother. IF he had sex with HER it would SEEM to almost be like incest. It would not actually be incest because to the best of my knowledge Penny is not in fact Sheldon's mother, he is not her father, and they are not siblings. It would be LIKE incest because of the way that he interacts with her. Similar to if she had sex with him it would almost be like she was a pedophile because she treats him like a small and troubled child. She would not actually be performing an act of pedophilia because Sheldon is an "adult". Sorry if this confuses you.

Except you're having the hard time of grasping this, They're not related so if anything happpened it wouldn't be gross or anyother word you emwant to find, it would be between two adults yes adults and yes Sheldon is one even though he acts like a big kid at times, since he didn't have a childhood, he doesn't treat her like his mother(your reasoning is because he asked her to sing soft kitty), yes I know they have tried to potray him as a child due to not having one, so I don't see her looking at Sheldon as her child but as a friend, sorry if it confuses you.

So it can only be incest for Sheldon and Penny because you say so, but Penny treated Raj like a brother but that's okay,

Those encouraging Penny and Sheldon to get together baffle me only slightly less than the females obsessed with Jim Parson's looks and display a deep attraction to the actor, ignoring the elephant in the room.

Those two aren't the same, I understand women being attracted to Jim but past that is confusing when he doesn't swing that way.

Well I've seen Jim good things to say about it.

Jim has never said good things about a romantic relationship between Sheldon and Penny, or even accepted any probability of it. He says he would be 'jaw-dropped' if such a scene ever came up, and Sheldon/Penny together would be like jumping the shark in the series.

He does go all out in praise of the Sheldon/Penny friendship and comedic chemistry on the show, and has often said how much he loves working with Kaley.

• Like 1

the creators of the show, the producers, and the writers said it ain't going to happen.

The creators, the producers, and the writers of Buffy the Vampire Slayer show all said that romantic Spike + Buffy is NEVER (and I mean NEVER EVER EVAH! :icon_lol:) going to happen. The stars and the writers of the show said "Ewww!" and many other things about the impossibility of that non-canon pairing.

There were tons of SEX, and FRIENDSHIP, and LOVE between Spike and Buffy. It became the OTP of that show, despite what the "GODS" (gosh, such a stupid half-brained monicker!) of that show previously said.

Comparing Buffy to Big Bang Theory is downright hilarious.

Chuck and Bill had nothing to do with Buffy so you referencing that is so dumb. You are so delusional.

Well I've seen Jim good things to say about it.

Jim has never said good things about a romantic relationship between Sheldon and Penny, or even accepted any probability of it. He says he would be 'jaw-dropped' if such a scene ever came up, and Sheldon/Penny together would be like jumping the shark in the series.

He does go all out in praise of the Sheldon/Penny friendship and comedic chemistry on the show, and has often said how much he loves working with Kaley.

He said Penny would have to hit him over the head with a frying pan for him to admit his feelings for her.

Chuck and Bill had nothing to do with Buffy so you referencing that is so dumb. You are so delusional.

No it's not it's saying a fanbase saying something won't happen and it did.

I don't know how you got bill and chuck have nothing to do with Buffy, did you think the postimplied it?

See you even deny facts.

Chuck/Bill and the Buffy creators are not the same. So to disregard what Chuck and Bill say because completely different creators said something about another show is just dumb, insane, stupid, or any other word you can come up with.

Big time fallacy on you and BigBangs part.

Yes I know they're not the same but they said Sheldon has no interest in a gf yet he's dating Amy, so you just believe whatever anyone says to you?

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

He said Penny would have to hit him over the head with a frying pan for him to admit his feelings for her.

He wasn't talking about Penny.

Here's the interview:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2009/04/27/big-bang-video/

Note, when he is asked about the Shenny, he says "I am shocked that that came out, there's never been any indication that it would happen, and I would be jaw-dropped if that script ever came out"

He then says, that if another woman ever comes on on the show (this interview is before Mayim came to the show) that he would love it. And then is when he says:

“If there’s a “special†lady that’s finally going to happen she better come armed with a frying pan.â€

so no, Jim didn't say that "Penny" would have to do so, he was talking about "if some other woman ever comes for Sheldon".

If anything, Jim is the biggest Shamy supporter. All the interviews he makes, he talks about how much he loves Sheldon & Amy's relationship, and Mayim even said in an interview that she was kinda shocked when the Flaming Spitoon script came since she thought it was kinda soon for them to become an item and that Jim was the one who convinced her that it was actually a great idea to have Sheldon & Amy finally as an official couple.

He was talking about Penny since she was the only one, I don't know why you act surprised if say Jim is a huge shamy fan like you would think he wouldn't be, geesh.

He was talking about Penny since she was the only one, I don't know why you act surprised if say Jim is a huge shamy fan like you would think he wouldn't be, geesh.

Did you see the interview? I just linked it.... Again, he wasn't talking about Penny. The interviewer asked Jim on how he would feel if another woman CAME to the show (meaning, she wasn't there: came comes from the verb "to come" - from another place, nobody can "come" to a place where they already are.....) and THEN is when he said about the frying pan. He wasn't talking about Penny. sheesh. watch the interview!

I am not surprised he is a Shamy fan. I was mentioning it because Jim being such a big Shamy shipper is totally incongruous with favoring a Sheldon/Penny romantic pairing. It was mentioned as a discoursive contrast to reinforce my statement.

I agree. Buffy The Vampire Slayer was garbage. How it lasted more than a season is way beyond me.

The show is full of logic, science, and factual statements. If THIS, then THAT.

Citing another fictional sitcom's choice to film _________ when it was at one point unpopular or unexpected, and using it as EVIDENCE that __________ could happen in another show is ridiculous.

Imagine Penny telling Sheldon that her Aunt Betty tried a new restaurant once and liked it, and citing that "fact" (which is mere personal preference) as evidence that he should never eat at any of his favorite restaurants ever again.

Sheldon would destroy her, mainly due to the weakness of the argument.

Except you're having the hard time of grasping this, They're not related so if anything happpened it wouldn't be gross or anyother word you emwant to find, it would be between two adults yes adults and yes Sheldon is one even though he acts like a big kid at times, since he didn't have a childhood, he doesn't treat her like his mother(your reasoning is because he asked her to sing soft kitty), yes I know they have tried to potray him as a child due to not having one, so I don't see her looking at Sheldon as her child but as a friend, sorry if it confuses you.

So it can only be incest for Sheldon and Penny because you say so, but Penny treated Raj like a brother but that's okay,

Those encouraging Penny and Sheldon to get together baffle me only slightly less than the females obsessed with Jim Parson's looks and display a deep attraction to the actor, ignoring the elephant in the room.

Those two aren't the same, I understand women being attracted to Jim but past that is confusing when he doesn't swing that way.

Other then asking her to sing soft kitty to him? That's more then enough right there, especially on more then one occasion. As for how Penny treats Sheldon like a child, let's recall the trip to Disneyland shall we? "Time for you to go to bed, and don't forget to brush your teeth". Sound familiar? I never said that it was actual incest if they got together, somehow you have trouble comprehending the difference between would seem like it and the actual thing. As for Penny treating Raj like a brother, YOU are the only one I have ever heard claim that.

He wasn't talking about Penny.

Here's the interview:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2009/04/27/big-bang-video/

Note, when he is asked about the Shenny, he says "I am shocked that that came out, there's never been any indication that it would happen, and I would be jaw-dropped if that script ever came out"

He then says, that if another woman ever comes on on the show (this interview is before Mayim came to the show) that he would love it. And then is when he says:

“If there’s a “special†lady that’s finally going to happen she better come armed with a frying pan.â€

so no, Jim didn't say that "Penny" would have to do so, he was talking about "if some other woman ever comes for Sheldon".

If anything, Jim is the biggest Shamy supporter. All the interviews he makes, he talks about how much he loves Sheldon & Amy's relationship, and Mayim even said in an interview that she was kinda shocked when the Flaming Spitoon script came since she thought it was kinda soon for them to become an item and that Jim was the one who convinced her that it was actually a great idea to have Sheldon & Amy finally as an official couple.

thanks-- that was a great interveiw:icon_lol:

I don't see how finding an on-screen personality attractive should have anything to do with his personal orientation. None of us is looking to get with him in real life. That would be delusional. Loving and admiring him or even feeling attracted to him, is not. At least, not any more than finding a married celebrity attractive. The fact that they are taken or unavailable doesn't matter, because we know this feeling is on the level of imagination and does not violate causality.

Similarly, shipping Sheldon/Penny (or any other pairing) in your mind or in fan-fic is not delusional, it's a valid feeling. Wanting it to happen in canon violates the causality of the show.

Touche.

I agree. Buffy The Vampire Slayer was garbage. How it lasted more than a season is way beyond me.

Actually… I really liked Buffy. It started out as just a teenage show and developed into a real right of passage story. Although I wouldn't compare it to TBBT. It was more a drama with a bit of comedy thrown in.

Is that the best you can do, little one? No refutal, just insults? :icon_lol:

You lose. :icon_lol:

P.S. When the GODs (gah!!! what a stupid monicker, LOL! :icon_lol:) of a TV show speak, experience shows us their talk can be just wind. Today the GODs (gah!!! I can't do it with straight face! :icon_lol:) say one thing, tomorrrow they may do something quite the opposite.

They had a Hugh following and SMG is hot.

Other then asking her to sing soft kitty to him? That's more then enough right there, especially on more then one occasion. As for how Penny treats Sheldon like a child, let's recall the trip to Disneyland shall we? "Time for you to go to bed, and don't forget to brush your teeth". Sound familiar? I never said that it was actual incest if they got together, somehow you have trouble comprehending the difference between would seem like it and the actual thing. As for Penny treating Raj like a brother, YOU are the only one I have ever heard claim that.

I know you have a hard time but just because Sheldon has acted like a child doesn't mean what Penny feels for his is a child, she sees a close and good friend that will be there we she needs him.

Did you see the interview? I just linked it.... Again, he wasn't talking about Penny. The interviewer asked Jim on how he would feel if another woman CAME to the show (meaning, she wasn't there: came comes from the verb "to come" - from another place, nobody can "come" to a place where they already are.....) and THEN is when he said about the frying pan. He wasn't talking about Penny. sheesh. watch the interview!

I am not surprised he is a Shamy fan. I was mentioning it because Jim being such a big Shamy shipper is totally incongruous with favoring a Sheldon/Penny romantic pairing. It was mentioned as a discoursive contrast to reinforce my statement.

That's not the interview I saw he clearly said that Penny would have to hit him over the head with a frying pan to admit his feelings for her, I don't care what link you have if it didn't say what I just wrote then it wasn't what I watched.

Citing another fictional sitcom's choice to film _________ when it was at one point unpopular or unexpected, and using it as EVIDENCE that __________ could happen in another show is ridiculous.

It's actually not ridiculous but quite scientific. Positing that something may happen in theory ("the creators of a TV show may do something even if they said they wouldn't do it"), then citing a FACT that something exactly like that DID happen ("the creators of a TV show did something they previousy said they would never do") is evidence.

It's like refuting the argument "black cats do not exist" - yes they do, hey look at THAT one, looks pretty black to me! :icon_lol: It's the evidence that TV shows are works in progress, and that the creators of TV shows do not always do what they promised previously.

Slick et al yammering on about "the word of GODS" (gah!!!! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:) is what is utterly ridiculous. As if the TV shows are written in stone and creaters "never, ever, evah" change their mind, or lie to fans, or do something they previously insisted they wouldn't do. :icon_lol: Suuuure... And there are no black cats in the known universe either. Pffft!

That's not the interview I saw he clearly said that Penny would have to hit him over the head with a frying pan to admit his feelings for her, I don't care what link you have if it didn't say what I just wrote then it wasn't what I watched.

I have seen every interview Jim has made, and that is the only one when he mentions the frying pan. Except for a written interview, that is here, maybe you are remembering wrong. I am not. I have an eidetic memory.

The quote from that other interview is this one http://www.bullz-eye.com/television/interviews/2009/jim_parsons.htm:

BE: Should we take that as a hint that, possibly somewhere in the far future, Sheldon could have a girlfriend?

JP: I think you can take that as a hint, but I’m afraid that it’s frustratingly open to interpretation. (laughs) Looking at Sheldon’s sexuality is like trying to read into a Rothko painting. It’s just, like, “Do I see a line?†“No.†“No? Well, I see something.†You know? And I don’t know. Chuck (Lorre) always says -- well, not always, but I’ve heard him say more than once, and I didn’t think of it this way, but he says, “What is this desire to force Sheldon into something to normalize him?†And I don’t think everybody’s thinking that way, let me say that first off, but I just thought it was an interesting take on it. As opposed to, “Why don’t we see what happens to this guy who has opted out?†And what I think is interesting about that is that, number one, I don’t think that people are necessarily ravenous to see Sheldon normalized or brought down to a level or something. I think that it’s very sweet, and I agree with people who think it would be. I want Sheldon to feel love, you know? (laughs) I enjoy it in my life when I feel love, and I’d like him to. And I also think it will one day, fingers crossed, be a wonderful story arc. I would hope that, if that time ever comes, we’ll deal with it in the same way they’ve dealt with the Penny/Leonard thing. I mean, not the same exact relationship, obviously, but in that way of going where it’s not a big special episode or something. Or maybe there are a couple, but it’s more of finding a way getting through this, him finding his way into this. But as far as the thinking, I had the exact same thought you did, and that’s why I say it’s impossible to interpret, because I thought, “How interesting that he bothered to look!†But then I thought, “As a scientist, of course he’s going to look. It’s just one more body to see.â€

BE: It seems like a relationship would cause him to be torn between wondering the curiosity of “What would this be like for me?†and treating it like a scientific experiment.

JP: I agree with you. I do. And I don’t -- I don’t know if there’s any way around that. If we look at Sheldon as a real person for a second and pretend, I just think that -- you know, I’ve always said he would have to be completely frying-pan-over-the-head-walloped to fall in love, and I stick by that, not so much in a comic value way, but -- he does seem to have that nature, but, like Chuck says, that’s not what he’s choosing to do right now. He’s choosing to devote himself and his life in other ways, and he finds that he doesn’t have the time for that. So I do think he’d have to be hit by a wave of emotion, if you will, or desire in other to be forced into making that choice. But then you have who he is and his nature to look at things through that scientific lens. So -- I don’t know. That’s the other exciting thing about it, because -- what a special person it would take to devote themselves to Sheldon, and to accept him for what he was. Not that he’s a leper or something (laughs) but he can be so trying to deal with, and if you were his intimate other, oh, my God, would you have to listen to more workings of his even deeper inner mind? Good criminey!

I mean, cbolt, is ok, ship Shenny all you like, you are free to ship whateaver you want, but don't say that Jim has said things he hasn't. Jim has said numerous times that for him, the show should end with Penny & Leonard getting married. He never said anything about Penny having to force Sheldon to admit feelings. Because, like Jim has said, they have never given any indication of that on the show.

Also note, that in the interview I just quoted, Jim also tears down another Shenny mith, on why did Sheldon peek, by saying, "as a scientist, of course he is going to look. It's just one more body to see".

I have seen every interview Jim has made, and that is the only one when he mentions the frying pan. Except for a written interview, that is here, maybe you are remembering wrong. I am not. I have an eidetic memory.

The quote from that other interview is this one http://www.bullz-eye.com/television/interviews/2009/jim_parsons.htm:

BE: Should we take that as a hint that, possibly somewhere in the far future, Sheldon could have a girlfriend?

JP: I think you can take that as a hint, but I’m afraid that it’s frustratingly open to interpretation. (laughs) Looking at Sheldon’s sexuality is like trying to read into a Rothko painting. It’s just, like, “Do I see a line?†“No.†“No? Well, I see something.†You know? And I don’t know. Chuck (Lorre) always says -- well, not always, but I’ve heard him say more than once, and I didn’t think of it this way, but he says, “What is this desire to force Sheldon into something to normalize him?†And I don’t think everybody’s thinking that way, let me say that first off, but I just thought it was an interesting take on it. As opposed to, “Why don’t we see what happens to this guy who has opted out?†And what I think is interesting about that is that, number one, I don’t think that people are necessarily ravenous to see Sheldon normalized or brought down to a level or something. I think that it’s very sweet, and I agree with people who think it would be. I want Sheldon to feel love, you know? (laughs) I enjoy it in my life when I feel love, and I’d like him to. And I also think it will one day, fingers crossed, be a wonderful story arc. I would hope that, if that time ever comes, we’ll deal with it in the same way they’ve dealt with the Penny/Leonard thing. I mean, not the same exact relationship, obviously, but in that way of going where it’s not a big special episode or something. Or maybe there are a couple, but it’s more of finding a way getting through this, him finding his way into this. But as far as the thinking, I had the exact same thought you did, and that’s why I say it’s impossible to interpret, because I thought, “How interesting that he bothered to look!†But then I thought, “As a scientist, of course he’s going to look. It’s just one more body to see.â€

BE: It seems like a relationship would cause him to be torn between wondering the curiosity of “What would this be like for me?†and treating it like a scientific experiment.

JP: I agree with you. I do. And I don’t -- I don’t know if there’s any way around that. If we look at Sheldon as a real person for a second and pretend, I just think that -- you know, I’ve always said he would have to be completely frying-pan-over-the-head-walloped to fall in love, and I stick by that, not so much in a comic value way, but -- he does seem to have that nature, but, like Chuck says, that’s not what he’s choosing to do right now. He’s choosing to devote himself and his life in other ways, and he finds that he doesn’t have the time for that. So I do think he’d have to be hit by a wave of emotion, if you will, or desire in other to be forced into making that choice. But then you have who he is and his nature to look at things through that scientific lens. So -- I don’t know. That’s the other exciting thing about it, because -- what a special person it would take to devote themselves to Sheldon, and to accept him for what he was. Not that he’s a leper or something (laughs) but he can be so trying to deal with, and if you were his intimate other, oh, my God, would you have to listen to more workings of his even deeper inner mind? Good criminey!

I mean, cbolt, is ok, ship Shenny all you like, you are free to ship whateaver you want, but don't say that Jim has said things he hasn't. Jim has said numerous times that for him, the show should end with Penny & Leonard getting married. He never said anything about Penny having to force Sheldon to admit feelings. Because, like Jim has said, they have never given any indication of that on the show.

Also note, that in the interview I just quoted, Jim also tears down another Shenny mith, on why did Sheldon peek, by saying, "as a scientist, of course he is going to look. It's just one more body to see".

WOW.....Some people will toss a pebble in a pond to test the "Ripple" effect and Sursonica hucks in a "Boulder" to drown them with a "Wave".Nice post Sursonica like a lady who doesn't bring a knife to a gunfight! :icon_cool:

It's actually not ridiculous but quite scientific. Positing that something may happen in theory ("the creators of a TV show may do something even if they said they wouldn't do it"), then citing a FACT that something exactly like that DID happen ("the creators of a TV show did something they previousy said they would never do") is evidence.

It's like refuting the argument "black cats do not exist" - yes they do, hey look at THAT one, looks pretty black to me! :icon_lol: It's the evidence that TV shows are works in progress, and that the creators of TV shows do not always do what they promised previously.

Slick et al yammering on about "the word of GODS" (gah!!!! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:) is what is utterly ridiculous. As if the TV shows are written in stone and creaters "never, ever, evah" change their mind, or lie to fans, or do something they previously insisted they wouldn't do. :icon_lol: Suuuure... And there are no black cats in the known universe either. Pffft!

I agree about what you said about slick calling them GODS tone it down with that statement.

How come when someone mentions Shenny will never happen because the writers said it won't, I mention that they said the same thing about Sheldon getting a gf but no one comments on that, why is that?