Penny should go out with Sheldon

To expect him to engage in a physically warm relationship with the lovely Penny is off character. He'd have an aneurism.

:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin: Oh no...now we wouldn't want that would we? We still need him alive :)

I love it that they have such good chemistry together (both in the show and in real life) so I think this should be a treat. I think they'd make good couple because Penny understands Sheldon much better than Amy does. And as far as Leonard is concerned he can manage to find another nice girl to date. Like Stephanie...I liked her.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only thing that makes them "standard couples" in your mind is that the pairings are not to your liking.  The only reason you keep harping on this "curve ball" or "twist" or what you think is "thin

OK, I normally sit out arguments like this one. But this one sailed way over the pale.   Please explain how Sheldon and Penny would bring out the best in each other? The characters of Penny and Shel

I loved the British Comedy "Are You Being Served" . Ran from 1972-1983 I believe. Penny in no way should go out with Sheldon. They have no interest nor any desire to be in a romantic relationship.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I don't think Penny understands Sheldon.. most of the times she just looks at him like he's crazy

She may not understand him all the time, but she accepts him with all of his quirky ways. And I agree that their chemistry is more of friendship or siblings than romance.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy the Shenny fan fiction, but that is really where it should stay.

Although a little unrequited love fantasy might be fun, but at the end of the very last season, no sooner. And since I never want the show to end, that means it will never happen.

That Shenny fanfiction is a bit disturbing to me. I would like to see them together but I imagine it to be something more innocent. Some of that stuff is just not right.....maybe they're giving to many details :).

Oh, I agree that some of the FF is awful. But some of it is well-written and a nice fantasy. I guess I just see more chemistry between Sheldon and Penny than I do between Sheldon and Amy. They get along well and she can handle him, for the most part, but there is no passion - at least not on his side. Don't get me wrong - I love Amy's character. I just don't think she and Sheldon will ever end up together.

I stumbled across some Shenny fiction on a web search and decided to take a look. Boy I wish I hadn't! Talk about interloping straight into someone's fantasy. Penny teaching Sheldon about love and sex, like a school teacher with her pupil. All kinds of wrong.

*runs screaming…. nooooo!!!!!*

• Like 1

What I like the most about the show is how the writers manage to keep the characters basically constant yet growing and evolving.

I would love to see many more years of the show. That requires tension, conflict, and surprises on the way. What better source of that than friendship and attraction of the polar opposites? :icon_twisted:

It would take years, though, to bring THAT dramatic change about. Gosh, Sheldon couldn't even hug anybody a couple of seasons ago. He's not interested in sex, period! (For now.) Relationship with Amy is a huge stepping stone as it is.

One thing for sure, I'd love to see more interaction between Penny and Sheldon. They are SO FUNNY together! :icon_cheesygrin::icon_lol:

What I like the most about the show is how the writers manage to keep the characters basically constant yet growing and evolving.

I would love to see many more years of the show. That requires tension, conflict, and surprises on the way. What better source of that than friendship and attraction of the polar opposites? :icon_twisted:

We have that. It is called Penny and Leonard. Leonard dating the gorgeous girl/dream girl who he had a crush on from the moment he saw her for the first time, and Penny dating the caring, thoughtful guy no matter what he looks like for the first time.

Unexpected, surprising, tension, success, failure etc.

And it's the best part of the show for me.

We have that. It is called Penny and Leonard. Leonard dating the gorgeous girl/dream girl who he had a crush on from the moment he saw her for the first time, and Penny dating the caring, thoughtful guy no matter what he looks like for the first time.

With all due respect, we don't have that. Penny and Leonard are too alike emotionally - Leonard is the most well adjusted socially (of the nerds), and he longs to belong, to lead a normal social life, and to date a pretty cheerleader. Where is conflict, tension, surprise in that?

Penny now also longs to be with a smart and nice guy as opposed to a jerky jock (smart Penny, LOL) - again, where is conflict in that?

Leonard likes Penny for her looks as a representative of a beautiful crowd, Penny likes Leonard for his smarts as a representative of a smart crowd, where is conflict, tension, surprise?

I don't know, maybe I'm seeing it all wrong, but to me Penny and Leonard's relationship is NOT about two people finding each other despite all odds (the earth shattering, jaw dropping, surprising, exasperating, passionate stuff that marks the most memorable romantic relationships on screen). Rather it's a story about two people who are not even really attracted to EACH OTHER as individuals but rather as representatives of what they think they want. I find that particular type of relationship quite uninspiring. Sorry.

Besides - and this is just my very personal opinion, I realize others feel differently - I don't see a spark between Penny and Leonard. Call it whatever you wish - attraction, spark, chemistry - I see very little between Penny and Leonard. It feels like settling instead of passion. And while a valid choice in real life, "settling" is rather boring to watch on TV. JMHO.

I agree as well. Leonard may believe he is in love with Penny, but it is just his adoration of her beauty and she feels comfortable with him because he is so adoring. But it is not real passion and the chemistry is only for very comfortable companions. I think that is why everyone is looking for romance between Sheldon and Penny. There is a lot of passion between those two. It may not be for a romantic relationship, but the chemistry is real.

Oh, and as for the fan fiction, there are two writers who do it right: DefyGravity18 and MattUF1. They know how to build the relationship between them and make Sheldon as believable as possible. Remember, that in any fan fiction that is done as a drama or romance, Sheldon would have to be a little out of character, since the show portrays him farcically most of the time.

While I enjoy a good S/P fanfic, I wouldn't buy them going out together as things stand now. Perhaps if the characters were allowed to change/grow, then someday it would make sense (because I do think they're good for each other). But right now, it would be completely unbelievable on both sides.

(Oh, and it is often said that love and hate are just two sides of the same coin; that the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference -- right now, Sheldon and Penny are swing back and forth between the two extremes, with most of their time spent on the "hate" side of the equation. But that spark is what often turns into love over the long term. I can see Penny and Leonard eventually becoming more or less indifferent to each other, but never Penny and Sheldon. Just sayin' ... :) )

I wouldn't buy them going out together as things stand now. Perhaps if the characters were allowed to change/grow, then someday it would make sense (because I do think they're good for each other).

(...right now, Sheldon and Penny are swing back and forth between the two extremes, with most of their time spent on the "hate" side of the equation. But that spark is what often turns into love over the long term. I can see Penny and Leonard eventually becoming more or less indifferent to each other, but never Penny and Sheldon. Just sayin' ... :) )

Agreed on both counts. Sheldon and Penny are not ready for each other, but they are SO GOOD for each other (and good for the audience, for making us laugh and tingle with anticipation of yet another great scene)! LOL :icon_lol:

I agree with Louie, some of the fanfiction is very believable, I could see maybe if they had a falling out and down the road maybe something happened between the two

wouldn't that be a huge betrayal to both Leonard and Amy? I mean, everybody was (and still is) upset about the whole Raj thing, but all of the sudden, if Sheldon and Penny would hook up, both of them betraying their friends (Penny betraying Amy and Sheldon betraying Leonard) it would be ok??

That would be SO much worse, specially since Leonard is Sheldon's best friend and Amy trusting Penny so much. No, it would just be WRONG.

I don't want that to happen in TBBT at all.

• Like 1

Leonard hasn't been Sheldon's best friend in some time. Plus Leonard didn't seem to mind when he thought raj slept with penny.

were you not watching the same show as I was? of couse he did mind! he was devastated, so much that he spoke to his mother about it!

and Leonard IS Sheldon's best friend.

but again. I don't know why I even bother.

• Like 1

Penny and Sheldon would ruiin the show

The introduction of the 2 relationships:

sheldon and amy

howard and berdanette

has already ruined the show enough. Sheldon and Penny would make this too much of a drama and would kill the show

Sheldon and Penny would make this too much of a drama and would kill the show

Sheldon and Penny's hilarious interactions in the earlier seasons is what made this show. Sheldon and Penny together is the comedy goldmine.

Leonard hasn't been Sheldon's best friend in some time. Plus Leonard didn't seem to mind when he thought raj slept with penny.

were you not watching the same show as I was? of couse he did mind! he was devastated, so much that he spoke to his mother about it!

and Leonard IS Sheldon's best friend.

but again. I don't know why I even bother.

Yeah he was so devasted that is why he sat on the couch when the walked out and did nothing and what does his mother have anything to do with it, if he was so upset he should have said something to the two of them, and once Leonard pulled the crap he did on Sheldon is the day he was downgraded to just friend/roommate

Sheldon and Penny would make this too much of a drama and would kill the show

Sheldon and Penny's hilarious interactions in the earlier seasons is what made this show. Sheldon and Penny together is the comedy goldmine.

That's true, but those weren't "couple interactions". That was the fun part of it, that they weren't flirting, that they didn't have any ulterior motives. That's what makes their bickering so much fun.

I have seen my share of great shows ruined when putting these type of characters together as a couple (Sam/Diane from Cheers, Maddie & David from Moonlighting, etc). I don't want to see it again on TBBT.

I have seen my share of great shows ruined when putting these type of characters together as a couple (Sam/Diane from Cheers, Maddie & David from Moonlighting, etc). I don't want to see it again on TBBT.

I haven't watched those shows.

All I know is that intentionally or by accident, TBBT had set up a classic dynamic of "opposites attract, former enemies become best friends, they bicker, they fight, they are made for each other".

It's comedy gold.

But the opposites are not attracting here... that's the thing. They are not best friends.. they are friends, but not each other's best friends. Sheldon has said it himself that Leonard is his best friend. Penny just got off his mortal enemies list some time ago.

You are right, it IS comedy gold, as it is right now.. why mess with that? ...

and like you said so yourself the "opposites attract, former enemies become best friends, they bicker, they fight, they are made for each other" is classic... it has been done... TOO many times. Like I said, on those shows I mentioned (you are probably too young to have watched them) and in many other shows. and movies...too many times. it's old. too old.

but whateaver, not gonna convince anyone, just stating why I don't want to see that happenning. ever.

• Like 1

Frankly I would be shocked if they ever had Penny and Sheldon get together and personally it is not something that I would enjoy watching. You can only take that "opposites attract" analogy so far. It is in fact untrue that total opposites attract. I haven't seen many nuns dating Hells Angels.

I could not see Penny ever falling for someone who is mortified by just touching someone else, let alone kissing them and forget the whole coitus thing. I believe that Penny is too desirous of human contact for that. I believe that she likes and wants kisses, holding hands, hugging, and sitting close to her boyfriend. And I think she enjoys the sexual aspect of the relationship too.

Although it stretches credulity that Penny would date Leonard or him her for a lengthy period of time, Penny and Sheldon would be too much. Instead of being humorous I would find it repugnant.