Penny should go out with Sheldon

raj

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

The show is full of logic, science, and factual statements. If THIS, then THAT.

Citing another fictional sitcom's choice to film _________ when it was at one point unpopular or unexpected, and using it as EVIDENCE that __________ could happen in another show is ridiculous.

It's actually not ridiculous but quite scientific. Positing that something may happen in theory ("the creators of a TV show may do something even if they said they wouldn't do it"), then citing a FACT that something exactly like that DID happen ("the creators of a TV show did something they previousy said they would never do") is evidence.

It's like refuting the argument "black cats do not exist" - yes they do, hey look at THAT one, looks pretty black to me! :icon_lol: It's the evidence that TV shows are works in progress, and that the creators of TV shows do not always do what they promised previously.

Slick et al yammering on about "the word of GODS" (gah!!!! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:) is what is utterly ridiculous. As if the TV shows are written in stone and creaters "never, ever, evah" change their mind, or lie to fans, or do something they previously insisted they wouldn't do. :icon_lol: Suuuure... And there are no black cats in the known universe either. Pffft!

I agree about what you said about slick calling them GODS tone it down with that statement.

How come when someone mentions Shenny will never happen because the writers said it won't, I mention that they said the same thing about Sheldon getting a gf but no one comments on that, why is that?

Because they never said "Sheldon is never getting a girlfriend".

They have said vaguer stuff like "Sheldon has opted out", or "Sheldon is devoted to science", or "Science is his lady".

I agree about what you said about slick calling them GODS tone it down with that statement.

How come when someone mentions Shenny will never happen because the writers said it won't, I mention that they said the same thing about Sheldon getting a gf but no one comments on that, why is that?

After LOST, I never trust what writers say they will or will not put a show.

That being said, it all comes down to opinion and interpretation. I've seen zero evidence that Sheldon and Penny would get together. She has told him she doesn't find him sexually attractive, repeatedly told him "he's not the guy" (even repeated when Sheldon was out of earshot in a wow of disbelief that he would even think that was possible), and rejected his proposal they go on a date. To me, Penny + Sheldon is about as creepy and weird as Monica + Ross would have been.

That's not the interview I saw he clearly said that Penny would have to hit him over the head with a frying pan to admit his feelings for her, I don't care what link you have if it didn't say what I just wrote then it wasn't what I watched.

I have seen every interview Jim has made, and that is the only one when he mentions the frying pan. Except for a written interview, that is here, maybe you are remembering wrong. I am not. I have an eidetic memory.

The quote from that other interview is this one http://www.bullz-eye.com/television/interviews/2009/jim_parsons.htm:

BE: Should we take that as a hint that, possibly somewhere in the far future, Sheldon could have a girlfriend?

JP: I think you can take that as a hint, but I’m afraid that it’s frustratingly open to interpretation. (laughs) Looking at Sheldon’s sexuality is like trying to read into a Rothko painting. It’s just, like, “Do I see a line?†“No.†“No? Well, I see something.†You know? And I don’t know. Chuck (Lorre) always says -- well, not always, but I’ve heard him say more than once, and I didn’t think of it this way, but he says, “What is this desire to force Sheldon into something to normalize him?†And I don’t think everybody’s thinking that way, let me say that first off, but I just thought it was an interesting take on it. As opposed to, “Why don’t we see what happens to this guy who has opted out?†And what I think is interesting about that is that, number one, I don’t think that people are necessarily ravenous to see Sheldon normalized or brought down to a level or something. I think that it’s very sweet, and I agree with people who think it would be. I want Sheldon to feel love, you know? (laughs) I enjoy it in my life when I feel love, and I’d like him to. And I also think it will one day, fingers crossed, be a wonderful story arc. I would hope that, if that time ever comes, we’ll deal with it in the same way they’ve dealt with the Penny/Leonard thing. I mean, not the same exact relationship, obviously, but in that way of going where it’s not a big special episode or something. Or maybe there are a couple, but it’s more of finding a way getting through this, him finding his way into this. But as far as the thinking, I had the exact same thought you did, and that’s why I say it’s impossible to interpret, because I thought, “How interesting that he bothered to look!†But then I thought, “As a scientist, of course he’s going to look. It’s just one more body to see.â€

BE: It seems like a relationship would cause him to be torn between wondering the curiosity of “What would this be like for me?†and treating it like a scientific experiment.

JP: I agree with you. I do. And I don’t -- I don’t know if there’s any way around that. If we look at Sheldon as a real person for a second and pretend, I just think that -- you know, I’ve always said he would have to be completely frying-pan-over-the-head-walloped to fall in love, and I stick by that, not so much in a comic value way, but -- he does seem to have that nature, but, like Chuck says, that’s not what he’s choosing to do right now. He’s choosing to devote himself and his life in other ways, and he finds that he doesn’t have the time for that. So I do think he’d have to be hit by a wave of emotion, if you will, or desire in other to be forced into making that choice. But then you have who he is and his nature to look at things through that scientific lens. So -- I don’t know. That’s the other exciting thing about it, because -- what a special person it would take to devote themselves to Sheldon, and to accept him for what he was. Not that he’s a leper or something (laughs) but he can be so trying to deal with, and if you were his intimate other, oh, my God, would you have to listen to more workings of his even deeper inner mind? Good criminey!

I mean, cbolt, is ok, ship Shenny all you like, you are free to ship whateaver you want, but don't say that Jim has said things he hasn't. Jim has said numerous times that for him, the show should end with Penny & Leonard getting married. He never said anything about Penny having to force Sheldon to admit feelings. Because, like Jim has said, they have never given any indication of that on the show.

Also note, that in the interview I just quoted, Jim also tears down another Shenny mith, on why did Sheldon peek, by saying, "as a scientist, of course he is going to look. It's just one more body to see".

I know exactly what I heard and no I'm not putting words into his mouth.

The series finale could have Leonard and Penny getting married, and cbolt would say "That was Sheldon in a Leonard costume".

I don't put words in your mouth so I expect the same, your comment is full of nonsense and doesn't make any sense, for one why would Sheldon would want to pretend to be Leonard is anyone's guess, and unless Sheldon created a height shrinker and why would you want to shrink yourself 9 inches?

Citing another fictional sitcom's choice to film _________ when it was at one point unpopular or unexpected, and using it as EVIDENCE that __________ could happen in another show is ridiculous.

It's actually not ridiculous but quite scientific. Positing that something may happen in theory ("the creators of a TV show may do something even if they said they wouldn't do it"), then citing a FACT that something exactly like that DID happen ("the creators of a TV show did something they previousy said they would never do") is evidence.

It's like refuting the argument "black cats do not exist" - yes they do, hey look at THAT one, looks pretty black to me! :icon_lol: It's the evidence that TV shows are works in progress, and that the creators of TV shows do not always do what they promised previously.

Slick et al yammering on about "the word of GODS" (gah!!!! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:) is what is utterly ridiculous. As if the TV shows are written in stone and creaters "never, ever, evah" change their mind, or lie to fans, or do something they previously insisted they wouldn't do. :icon_lol: Suuuure... And there are no black cats in the known universe either. Pffft!

Because they never said "Sheldon is never getting a girlfriend".

They have said vaguer stuff like "Sheldon has opted out", or "Sheldon is devoted to science", or "Science is his lady".

Well "Science is his lady" and Sheldon "has opted out", means he's not interested in women or relationships.

After LOST, I never trust what writers say they will or will not put a show.

That being said, it all comes down to opinion and interpretation. I've seen zero evidence that Sheldon and Penny would get together. She has told him she doesn't find him sexually attractive, repeatedly told him "he's not the guy" (even repeated when Sheldon was out of earshot in a wow of disbelief that he would even think that was possible), and rejected his proposal they go on a date. To me, Penny + Sheldon is about as creepy and weird as Monica + Ross would have been.

Except you're missing the point Ross and Monica are sibilings while Penny and Sheldon aren't, the reason she said he's not the guy is because for whatever reason was still hung up on Leonard.

No... It's not scientific or logical thought. Its comparing two FICTIONAL television shows. I'll buy you a copy of any 1,000 comic books you want the next time TBBT creative team is sitting in a room and someone says "On Buffy they did ______, let's do that too!!!"

The two are purely fictional entities and 100% unrelated.

The series finale could have Leonard and Penny getting married, and cbolt would say "That was Sheldon in a Leonard costume".

Post Of The Lifetime! :icon_mrgreen:

You are television illiterate. So it's not some outrageous thing that i'm saying "Word Of God". It's a common phrase.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WordOfGod

A statement regarding some ambiguous or undefined aspect of a work, the Word Of God comes from someone considered to be the ultimate authority, such as the creator, director, or producer.

I have seen every interview Jim has made, and that is the only one when he mentions the frying pan. Except for a written interview, that is here, maybe you are remembering wrong. I am not. I have an eidetic memory.

I have an eidetic memory regarding Jim, too, and I support Sursonica's statement that nowhere else did he mention a frying-pan, apart from these two interviews.

Looking at Sheldon’s sexuality is like trying to read into a Rothko painting. It’s just, like, “Do I see a line?†“No.†“No? Well, I see something.†You know?

So I do think he’d have to be hit by a wave of emotion, if you will, or desire in other to be forced into making that choice. But then you have who he is and his nature to look at things through that scientific lens. So -- I don’t know. That’s the other exciting thing about it, because -- what a special person it would take to devote themselves to Sheldon, and to accept him for what he was. Not that he’s a leper or something (laughs) but he can be so trying to deal with, and if you were his intimate other, oh, my God, would you have to listen to more workings of his even deeper inner mind? Good criminey!

It amazes me how, years before Amy even appeared on the scene, Jim still had an uncanny way of putting into words how Sheldon's possibilities of emotion and romance might play out in the future. The highlighted part, especially, is a perfect description of Amy and the way she accepts him, knows his inner workings and still pushes him beyond his boundaries.

He really does know Sheldon, as he once said.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I have an eidetic memory regarding Jim, too, and I support Sursonica's statement that nowhere else did he mention a frying-pan, apart from these two interviews.

Looking at Sheldon’s sexuality is like trying to read into a Rothko painting. It’s just, like, “Do I see a line?†“No.†“No? Well, I see something.†You know?

So I do think he’d have to be hit by a wave of emotion, if you will, or desire in other to be forced into making that choice. But then you have who he is and his nature to look at things through that scientific lens. So -- I don’t know. That’s the other exciting thing about it, because -- what a special person it would take to devote themselves to Sheldon, and to accept him for what he was. Not that he’s a leper or something (laughs) but he can be so trying to deal with, and if you were his intimate other, oh, my God, would you have to listen to more workings of his even deeper inner mind? Good criminey!

It amazes me how, years before Amy even appeared on the scene, Jim still had an uncanny way of putting into words how Sheldon's possibilities of emotion and romance might play out in the future. The highlighted part, especially, is a perfect description of Amy and the way she accepts him, knows his inner workings and still pushes him beyond his boundaries.

He really does know Sheldon, as he once said.

I thought the same thing when I read that interview as I quoted it. Jim really knows his character to a degree I don't think anyone else does, and I think it is amazing Jim was already predicting what a relationship would be like for Sheldon.

And people said Sheldon with a gf would ruin the show.

When everybody associated with the show not only say it's not going to happen and display disbelief that anyone thinks that it is a good idea, then I think it is a pretty sure bet that it's not going to happen.

It amazese that just because someon says something you should believe it or you have a hard understanding, just because someone from the show says somethng doesn't mean it will or won't years in advance, nor is it written in stone.

And people said Sheldon with a gf would ruin the show.

When everybody associated with the show not only say it's not going to happen and display disbelief that anyone thinks that it is a good idea, then I think it is a pretty sure bet that it's not going to happen.

It amazese that just because someon says something you should believe it or you have a hard understanding, just because someone from the show says somethng doesn't mean it will or won't years in advance, nor is it written in stone.

Good grief, let my try to decipher this....

It amazese (amazes?)(me?) that just be because someon (someone) says something you should believe it or you have a hard time understanding, (should not be a comma) just because someon (someone) from the show says somethng (something) doesn't mean it will or won't years in advance, (just guessing but I think it should read: "just because someone from the show say something years in advance doesn't mean that it will or won't happen") ,nor is it written in stone.

If EVERYBODY on the show says it I am amazed that someone continuously insists that they don't know what they are talking about.

He's just saying that the Buffy creators were saying this will never happen and it did, he's not comparing Buffy to TBBT.

Is anyone disputing the above?

What is silly imo is that some are drawing a connection between the two shows and implying a choice made by one set of writers 15 years ago influences or allows TBBT writers to make a decision next year

In the basketball game I'm watching right now, a coach may ask for a certain player to take the next shot. If he passes instead, does that mean Penny might date Sheldon?

No... It's not scientific or logical thought. Its comparing two FICTIONAL television shows.

I'm NOT comparing two shows at all. I'm compairing two SITUATIONS to refute the argument that "TV show creaters never (ever, evah, LOL) change their minds, or lie to the fans, or do something which they previously promised they will not do".

The two SITUATIONS - creators saying "this will never happen" and actors saying "ewwww" - are IDENTICAL. Actually, the "disgust" and denials were much more vocal from the creators of Buffy than anything we've ever heard from the creators of TBBT. :icon_cheesygrin:

So my point stands. When it comes to TV shows, Never. Say. Never. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

No... It's not scientific or logical thought. Its comparing two FICTIONAL television shows.

I'm NOT comparing two shows at all. I'm compairing two SITUATIONS to refute the argument that "TV show creaters never (ever, evah, LOL) change their minds, or lie to the fans, or do something which they previously promised they will not do".

The two SITUATIONS - creators saying "this will never happen" and actors saying "ewwww" - are IDENTICAL. Actually, the "disgust" and denials were much more vocal from the creators of Buffy than anything we've ever heard from the creators of TBBT. :icon_cheesygrin:

So my point stands. When it comes to TV shows, Never. Say. Never. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Of course never say never. Maybe the writers will go back on what they say, maybe the show will bomb and they'll be desparate enough. My issue with the shennys is they seem to care about little else.

That's not the interview I saw he clearly said that Penny would have to hit him over the head with a frying pan to admit his feelings for her, I don't care what link you have if it didn't say what I just wrote then it wasn't what I watched.

The quote from that other interview is this one http://www.bullz-eye.com/television/interviews/2009/jim_parsons.htm:

BE: Should we take that as a hint that, possibly somewhere in the far future, Sheldon could have a girlfriend?

JP: I think you can take that as a hint, but I’m afraid that it’s frustratingly open to interpretation. (laughs) Looking at Sheldon’s sexuality is like trying to read into a Rothko painting. It’s just, like, “Do I see a line?†“No.†“No? Well, I see something.†You know? And I don’t know. Chuck (Lorre) always says -- well, not always, but I’ve heard him say more than once, and I didn’t think of it this way, but he says, “What is this desire to force Sheldon into something to normalize him?†And I don’t think everybody’s thinking that way, let me say that first off, but I just thought it was an interesting take on it. As opposed to, “Why don’t we see what happens to this guy who has opted out?†And what I think is interesting about that is that, number one, I don’t think that people are necessarily ravenous to see Sheldon normalized or brought down to a level or something. I think that it’s very sweet, and I agree with people who think it would be. I want Sheldon to feel love, you know? (laughs) I enjoy it in my life when I feel love, and I’d like him to. And I also think it will one day, fingers crossed, be a wonderful story arc. I would hope that, if that time ever comes, we’ll deal with it in the same way they’ve dealt with the Penny/Leonard thing. I mean, not the same exact relationship, obviously, but in that way of going where it’s not a big special episode or something. Or maybe there are a couple, but it’s more of finding a way getting through this, him finding his way into this. But as far as the thinking, I had the exact same thought you did, and that’s why I say it’s impossible to interpret, because I thought, “How interesting that he bothered to look!†But then I thought, “As a scientist, of course he’s going to look. It’s just one more body to see.â€

BE: It seems like a relationship would cause him to be torn between wondering the curiosity of “What would this be like for me?†and treating it like a scientific experiment.

JP: I agree with you. I do. And I don’t -- I don’t know if there’s any way around that. If we look at Sheldon as a real person for a second and pretend, I just think that -- you know, I’ve always said he would have to be completely frying-pan-over-the-head-walloped to fall in love, and I stick by that, not so much in a comic value way, but -- he does seem to have that nature, but, like Chuck says, that’s not what he’s choosing to do right now. He’s choosing to devote himself and his life in other ways, and he finds that he doesn’t have the time for that. So I do think he’d have to be hit by a wave of emotion, if you will, or desire in other to be forced into making that choice. But then you have who he is and his nature to look at things through that scientific lens. So -- I don’t know. That’s the other exciting thing about it, because -- what a special person it would take to devote themselves to Sheldon, and to accept him for what he was. Not that he’s a leper or something (laughs) but he can be so trying to deal with, and if you were his intimate other, oh, my God, would you have to listen to more workings of his even deeper inner mind? Good criminey!

I mean, cbolt, is ok, ship Shenny all you like, you are free to ship whateaver you want, but don't say that Jim has said things he hasn't. Jim has said numerous times that for him, the show should end with Penny & Leonard getting married. He never said anything about Penny having to force Sheldon to admit feelings. Because, like Jim has said, they have never given any indication of that on the show.

Also note, that in the interview I just quoted, Jim also tears down another Shenny mith, on why did Sheldon peek, by saying, "as a scientist, of course he is going to look. It's just one more body to see".

That would be a terrible ending. I know that ends on a good note but it still leaves us hanging on how well will they work married. The last season will probably be interesting. I'm having a vision that somewhere in the future Leonard and Penny break up. Then somewhere toward the next to last season they have a drunken encounter they don't recall and the last episode of that season Penny announces she's pregnant. Then in the last season leonard feels he should marry her and they do get married/ The last episode should be of the birth with all the friends gathered around. It could be just like Galecki's role ended up on Roseanne!

I'm having a vision that somewhere in the future Leonard and Penny break up. Then somewhere toward the next to last season they have a drunken encounter they don't recall and the last episode of that season Penny announces she's pregnant. Then in the last season leonard feels he should marry her and they do get married/ The last episode should be of the birth with all the friends gathered around.

I'm sorry Leonard + Penny, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but that is probably the most depressing and sickening vision for this show that I have ever heard.

I'm having a vision that somewhere in the future Leonard and Penny break up. Then somewhere toward the next to last season they have a drunken encounter they don't recall and the last episode of that season Penny announces she's pregnant. Then in the last season leonard feels he should marry her and they do get married/ The last episode should be of the birth with all the friends gathered around.

I'm sorry Leonard + Penny, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but that is probably the most depressing and sickening vision for this show that I have ever heard.

I'm with 4ofN on this. Thats the ending to a drama, not a comedy. Nothing funny there, just tragedy. :(

I thought Sheldon was supposed to be defined as Asexual. That means he has no interest or desire for sex. He could still be romantically involved with Amy however. Emotions are still there even if the physical side is not.

I'm not sure Sheldon is asexual. He's inexperienced. He has demonstrated a disinterest and disdain for something he has no firsthand experience with. If he ever has sex it could very well lead to a different attitude.

I'm with 4ofN on this. Thats the ending to a drama, not a comedy. Nothing funny there, just tragedy. :(

I agree. I think that it would be very sad for 2 people who are not a couple to get so drunk that they can't remember what happened the night before, to have sex and conceive a baby and then get married because of it. It is a road map for disaster for the marriage and for the baby.

I'm not sure Sheldon is asexual. He's inexperienced. He has demonstrated a disinterest and disdain for something he has no firsthand experience with. If he ever has sex it could very well lead to a different attitude.

We know he doesn't object to physical pleasure. When Amy told him how to massage his own shoulder, he looked like he nut in his pants. And we know from his conversation with Leonard's mom that even if he objects at first and sees it as silly, he is open to trying new things (karaoke on guitar hero).

That would be a terrible ending. I know that ends on a good note but it still leaves us hanging on how well will they work married. The last season will probably be interesting. I'm having a vision that somewhere in the future Leonard and Penny break up. Then somewhere toward the next to last season they have a drunken encounter they don't recall and the last episode of that season Penny announces she's pregnant. Then in the last season leonard feels he should marry her and they do get married/ The last episode should be of the birth with all the friends gathered around. It could be just like Galecki's role ended up on Roseanne!

If they do get married that would be the end I don't see a lily/Marshall like how I met your mother so we'd have to wonder, if they do get married I think it wouldn't last just with the way they are right now, but that can change and both can grow up, as for your ending that's awful the only reason they get married is because they had drunken sex and he feels he should do the right thing and Penny feels she should marry him because she's carrying his child.

I agree. I think that it would be very sad for 2 people who are not a couple to get so drunk that they can't remember what happened the night before, to have sex and conceive a baby and then get married because of it. It is a road map for disaster for the marriage and for the baby.

IMHO would not just be a road map but the five miles of "BAD" road to go with it!

I agree. This doesn't sound like a pleasant scenario at all.

True. The writers have very carefully avoided labeling Sheldon as asexual, Aspie or anything else, which I think is a clever move because it leaves them leg space to take him in whichever direction they see fit.

Okay so l/p have been broken up for sometime both are single get drunk together like penny/raj minus the confession of feelings from her but have sex, he thinks she wants to get back together she tells him they were both drunk and shouldn't had happened and to forget it, Penny then discovers they must have not used protection when a couple months later she discovers she's pregnant, Leonard purposes for real this time(even for the wrong reason) Penny feels like she should accept it due to her carrying his child, shortly there after they get married, the baby comes and the arguing continues(due to the same reason they kept breaking up) they seperate a couple months later and are officially divorced before the baby is even one, their relationship is strained at best and the only real relationship they have or the reason to being not only in each others lives is their child. The credit rolls The End.