Penny should go out with Sheldon

raj

well, anyhow, I didn't intend to make it insulting, and I don't really see it as insulting, but whateaver. Apologies I guess.

I don't find it insulting... hope my tone doesn't come off as negative, so much is lost in text... =) Just mostly answering about drugs and why it bothers some people to be marginalized. =)

What? Kind of blowing things way out of proportion.

"Oh... you're one of *those* types... it all makes sense now..."

No one likes it when someone does that kinda stuff to them... reducing your opponent to a singular quality... it's an argumentative tool designed to rile your opponent and sum up his entire stance in one word which is then easily dismissed. It's probably the most effective way to de-rail a conversation, short of putting boob pics up or something... hehehe...

@SydNC - thanks for the clarification.

Obviously you've never had an extra-marital affair!!

Sorry, just teasing. :p

No, just the one affair... I didn't time for an extra one... ;)

See? We know you. ;)

See? We know you. ;)

Oh... you're one of those people that "knows people"... that explains so much... move along people, nothing to see here... ;)

Getting back to "getting high"... :icon_cheesygrin:

When Leonard sniffed gas, do you honestly believe the show creators did NOT mean that as a metaphor for getting high?

IMO, Leonard and Penny got high and had sex. They didn't do hard drugs, but they did the equivalent of the party drugs. Discuss.

I think it was what we saw. Two people playing with a voice changing gas. If it had been helium would anyone be postulating they got high? Helium is a commonly used gas for that gag. TBBT used a different gas with a similar, yet differing, effect. They played around like kids and had fun. I didn't take anything else from it.

Getting back to "getting high"... :icon_cheesygrin:

When Leonard sniffed gas, do you honestly believe the show creators did NOT mean that as a metaphor for getting high?

I saw it just as a lame attempt to remind everyone "Hey, in case everyone forgot, Leonard is a scientist and works in a lab!"

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Nope. Not kidding. I took the "gas" as a metaphor for party drugs. All the kids do them, why not Leonard and Penny?

because Sulfur Hexafluoride is not a drug, it doesn't get you high, is not intended to use as a drug and no-one should see it as a drug because it is not. There is no metaphor there. It is a literal joke on how the gas is heavier than air, and therefore it changes your voice. There is no "deep" or "hidden" meaning.

Leonard & Penny have gotten drunk on the show already.. why would they resort to a metaphor?

LOL if you consider that as a metaphor for drugs then Kripke got Sheldon metaphorically drugged when he made him breathe Helium at his radio interview?

Nope. Not kidding. I took the "gas" as a metaphor for party drugs. All the kids do them, why not Leonard and Penny?

The gas was just a fun thing to do. It was not about getting high. It was about play and showing something fun to his girlfriend.

My goodness. For once they actually write some real nerd / science fun into the show and it is seen as a metaphor for something else.

Not to say that people don't do drugs. People on the show take drugs all the time (thinking specifically alcohol right now). I wouln't have a problem with them taking drugs as this is a very common, and I think reasonable, thing for people to do.

Leonard works with lasers. It would not be surprising to learn that the university had a drug test policy for people like him and Howard.

Of course, it is a California school...

Leonard & Penny have gotten drunk on the show already.. why would they resort to a metaphor?

Why resort to a metaphor? Because of the show PG-13 time slot and network limitations/censorship. It ain't HBO.

For an average viewer, if you see two people sniffing something and immediately getting all giggly and horny, you jump to the obvious conclusion.

I can't imagine the writers were not aware of the effect. I think it was intentional. :icon_lol:

Far from all viewers would know what that gas is. I didn't, and I certainly didn't even listen closely for the name to find out. Most people wouldn't know either.

I wouln't have a problem with them taking drugs as this is a very common, and I think reasonable, thing for people to do.

Taking drugs is a reasonable thing to do? Okay. Interesting.

Oh, wait... Weren't you the one surprised by my comment about sick kids often born to those who drink or do drugs during conception?

Far from all viewers would know what that gas is. I didn't, and I certainly didn't even listen closely for the name to find out. Most people wouldn't know either.

True. But I did. They never mention the gas on the show. There's several out there that will do it, but SF6 is cheap and inert. We have huge tanks of it in our tank farm at work. This is the kind of stuff that attracted me to the show in the first place, the kind of stuff us "nerds" have been complaining about being less and less of in the show. I understand the realities of TV marketing, catering to a larger demographic will result in more ratings and income. But is stinks. =P

Taking drugs is a reasonable thing to do? Okay. Interesting.

Wikipedia: Dried residue on 9,000-year-old pottery found in China imply that Neolithic people consumed alcoholic beverages.[4]

Wikipedia: Evidence of the inhalation of cannabis smoke can be found in the 3rd millennium BCE, as indicated by charred cannabis seeds found in a ritual brazier at an ancient burial site in present day Romania.

Wikipedia: For over a thousand years South American indigenous peoples have chewed the leaves of Erythroxylon coca, a plant that contains vital nutrients as well as numerous alkaloids, including cocaine.

Using drugs has been part of human history and culture for 1000's of years. So yeah, doing drugs isn't unreasonable.

Nerdy 'drug'?

SF6 isn't a drug... It's a gas with many industrial uses... and makes you sound like God from Real Genius...

I know, that's why the ' '. :)

Oh... you're one of those "quoters"... ;)

Using drugs has been part of human history and culture for 1000's of years. So yeah, doing drugs isn't unreasonable.

So just because some junkies got wasted and high for 1000's of years, it's reasonable to emulate them?

Okay, whatever floats your boat. :icon_lol:

I love my body and my brain too much to poison it with crap. :icon_cheesygrin: I've also seen enough devastation to ever fall into that "harmless" trap. Weed, cocaine, pills - it's all poison, and I've seen the results of long term use up close. Not pretty.

So just because some junkies got wasted and high for 1000's of years, it's reasonable to emulate them?

Okay, whatever floats your boat. :icon_lol:

I love my body and my brain too much to poison it with crap. :icon_cheesygrin: I've also seen enough devastation to ever fall into that "harmless" trap. Weed, cocaine, pills - it's all poison, and I've seen the results of long term use up close. Not pretty.

Not everyone who does drugs thinks they are harmless. In fact, I've never heard a druggie ever say that, and I've known many. They do say it is "safer" (it being weed here) than alcohol or whatever, but I've never personally heard a stoner say weed is harmless. But anyone who would say that is dumb, and I wouldn't be able to be their friend anyway. Also, everytime someone does drugs they don't always get "wasted".

Like anything, food for example, too much is not good for you. Too much of anything is not good for you. You can die from drinking too much water.

I do agree we don't have to bound by the rules and customs of the past. I look at the world now the way it is and think "most of our rules, country borders, things that divide us were made by people who are all dead now! we don't have to keep doing it this way!" Unrealistic, yes, things aren't gonna change.

Now, onto being silly and ruining your brain... internet forums do way more damage to our brains than any drug... =)

internet forums do way more damage to our brains than any drug... =)

I guess I'm just more sensitive about this. I've witnessed what drugs can do, even "safe" ones like weed, and it's not pretty. Internet addiction doesn't come close.