Penny should go out with Sheldon

Everything here is opinion, I as a L/P fan am of the opinion that Leonard is still likable and that Leonard and Penny aren't polar opposites. I'm also of the opinion that they can carry a conversation without treating each other in demeaning or childish way. Obviously, the Sheldon and Penny fans have a different opinion that's cool.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only thing that makes them "standard couples" in your mind is that the pairings are not to your liking.  The only reason you keep harping on this "curve ball" or "twist" or what you think is "thin

OK, I normally sit out arguments like this one. But this one sailed way over the pale.   Please explain how Sheldon and Penny would bring out the best in each other? The characters of Penny and Shel

I loved the British Comedy "Are You Being Served" . Ran from 1972-1983 I believe. Penny in no way should go out with Sheldon. They have no interest nor any desire to be in a romantic relationship.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion wayelrob. What frustrates the Shenny shippers is that the Lenny shippers are unable to defend or explain their point of view without personal attacks. It would be refreshing to read a reply from that group that does not use the words: idiotic, moronic, stupid, insane, deranged, deluded etc. etc.

All I asked at the start of my posting is what is the basis for the L/P match? I would like someone to tell me more than it is canon, or it is what the producers planned from the start. Who cares? Surely a relationship needs more than it was the original intention, so let's ignore all the flaws in it. The most I have seen people state is that she enjoys sex and he is a nice guy (sometimes).

It has also been argued in very colourful terms why Penny and Sheldon shouldn't date. Okay most Shenny shippers know it may never happen. Although I am a firm believer in the saying, never say never, it has made a fool of too many people.

The point is we are all entitled to our opinion, I see that Penny and Sheldon are better suited in many ways. But the Penny and Sheldon I loved were in the first two seasons. After that both characters deteriorated and I am not sure they will find their way back. Penny was no longer the bright, happy extroverted girl she was in the first two seasons. Leonard was no longer the likeable nerd with a vain hope of dating the goddess across the hall. Sheldon was no longer the most mature and best character in the show. The relationship changed the whole dynamic of the show and not in a good way. Someone mentioned earlier about Penny and Sheldon being polar opposites, in my opinion Leonard and Penny are equally opposite. She's extroverted, he's introverted, he's well educted, she is not, he comes from a compicated family background, she comes from much more basic traditional family, he's into everything she is not and vice versa. Maybe the writers need to work on giving their relationship more depth.

No personal attacks please, having a different opinion does not mean I am any of the above adjectives.

Let me start off addressing the "Penny should go out with Sheldon" portion first. The reasons that Penny shouldn't go out with Sheldon are IMO fairly obvious and have been stated over and over. Penny thinks of Sheldon as a child (which should be enough right there), Penny likes physical contact, including sexual relations with the man she is with, while Sheldon detests physical contact with other people. This is not going to suddenly change. It is unrealistic, if that can be said about a fictional character, to expect someone of Sheldon's age to have sex for the first time and suddenly become a human sex machine. If he hasn't had a strong sex drive before, it isn't suddenly going to change. Sheldon also has on numerous occasions vocalized his disdain and lack of respect for Penny. About the only time that he seems to care for her is when he is sick or needs something.

But another question should be "why would Sheldon want to date Penny?". Penny is cute and has on several occasions taken care of Sheldon when he was ill, and has sang "soft kittey" to him, just like his mother. Would that be enough for Sheldon? Has he ever expressed much importance in a woman's personal appearance? Hygiene yes, looks no. Do you really think that he would like to live with someone who upon occasions has shown herself to have slovenly habits ? But most importantly, she would BORE him. Penny is not stupid, but she is not nearly as intelligent as Sheldon. He puts high importance in intellect and in that department Penny is seriously lacking when compared to him. That is why Amy is nearly perfect for him. Looks have nothing to do with it. In Sheldon's case we have the perfect man that many women are always crying for, one who doesn't care about looks but what is inside. From Sheldon's point of view, Amy would have look much more attractive the Penny.

Now to address Leonard and Penny relationship. If someone is demanding to be shown why any two people in a 1/2 comedy show are together they will be sadly disappointed if they expect much in-depth coverage. The show is not just about Penny and Leonard, if it were then they would have time to go into the particulars of why they are together. What they have shown is that they actually enjoy each others' company and I am not talking about just sex. They like being with each other. Penny very often is shown sitting very close the Sheldon and leaning against him, something that I might add that Sheldon would not like. They joke and laugh together, something else that Sheldon wouldn't do. In their group, Penny and Leonard are the closest thing to being normal, with the possible exception of Bernadette, who is already taken. That is why the two of them are together.

Finally, the whole personal attack thing. After being absent for an extended period of time, when you returned, on the first post you made you started off with saying that something that I had said was "silly". Was this a personal attack? I didn't take it as so. I took it as you thought what I had posted was, not me personally. So did someone denigrate you personally or what you had posted? There is a difference that you appear to appreciate when posting about others but have trouble understanding when the shoe is on the other foot. There are a bunch of sayings, the pot and kettle, stones and glass houses, and so on. If you want people to stop what you consider personal attacks then perhaps the first place to start is with yourself. This kind of thing should not become the main subject of a post.

We all watch this show. Penny and Sheldon show no romantic interest in each other. Sheldon looks at Penny as being a person who is beneath him. He does not like to display any kind of human contact. Penny is a touchy feely person. Penny is into reality TV, clothes, shoes (you get the idea), subject matters that Sheldon detests to talk about. Sheldon is a neat freak, Penny is not. Sheldon continually puts down Penny for his perceived notion that she lacks intelligence and of her lifestyle. Sheldon has made numerous snide comments about Penny's sex life and I can't imagine Sheldon ever being with a woman who has been in multiple sexual relationships with 10+ men not withstanding that she is sleeping with Leonard and believes that she slept with Raj as well.

I'm a L/P shipper (Just want to let everyone know where I stand). S/P scenes are funny but they show no romantic chemistry what so ever. Sorry but Penny has shown on numerous occasions that the idea of or desire to be with Sheldon in a romantic relationship does not interest her in any way, shape or form. As these two characters are currently written they would never be in a romantic relationship.

Penny and Sheldon are both humans. That is about all they have in common. Since it is physically possible for them to hook up, I cannot say it will never happen. But, it'd be the end of me watching this show if they did.

We all watch this show. Penny and Sheldon show no romantic interest in each other....

As these two characters are currently written they would never be in a romantic relationship.

Carl, I agree with almost everything you wrote. Penny and Sheldon are polar opposites in many things, and as they are currently written, a successful romantic relationship seems impossible. And that's EXACTLY why I like them! :icon_lol:

Conflict and seeming "impossibility" of a successful relationship are the bread and butter of entertaining romance. Mr. Darcy & Eliza Bennet, Jane Eyre and her employer, an evil vampire and a goody two-shoes slayer, etc. etc., if I had the time I would list dozens of romantic fictional couples whose entire premise was built on "this will NEVER work!". :icon_wink:

It's the classic romantic set-up of "they are polar opposites!.. they bicker, they fight, they hate each other... they grow to tolerate each other, become reluctant allies, then friends, then BAM!..." :icon_twisted:

There's sparkling chemistry bewteen Penny and Sheldon, the two are such a joy to see together. When that chemistry is combined with the traditional "ooh, they hate each other, wouldn't it be awesome if they got together!" paradigm, a Shenny shipper is born.

Sheldon was no longer the most mature and best character in the show.

I don't think Sheldon was EVER the most mature character on the show by any stretch. He's always been high-strung, socially clueless, childishly self-centered and egoistic. Sheldon in season 1 and 2 - demanding babysitting when he was sick, completely flipping out in his jealousy of a young boy who seemed to be a better scientist than him, losing the Physics bowl because he didn't understand the first thing about teamwork, feeling homesick for just one night 20 meters away from his home, hanging Penny's clothes outside the window (and recanting only after a scolding from his mother).. were those signs of maturity?

I don't think Sheldon was EVER the most mature character on the show by any stretch. He's always been high-strung, socially clueless, childishly self-centered and egoistic. Sheldon in season 1 and 2 - demanding babysitting when he was sick, completely flipping out in his jealousy of a young boy who seemed to be a better scientist than him, losing the Physics bowl because he didn't understand the first thing about teamwork, feeling homesick for just one night 20 meters away from his home, hanging Penny's clothes outside the window (and recanting only after a scolding from his mother).. were those signs of maturity?

yes

yes

IMmaturity perhaps... Sheldon has the coping mechanism and conflict resolution skills of a small child.

Dealing with a real world Sheldon would be a nightmare. He the worst possible combination of immaturity, condescension, social ineptitude and arrogance. Sometimes his actions are the result of ignorance, sometimes naïveté, and other times he knows exactly what he's doing and just doesn't care.

He's funny, sometimes heartwarming and often someone you feel for. But he's never been the most mature character on the show. Raj's puppy could give Sheldon a run for his money in that department.

Dealing with a real world Sheldon would be a nightmare. He the worst possible combination of immaturity, condescension, social ineptitude and arrogance. Sometimes his actions are the result of ignorance, sometimes naïveté, and other times he knows exactly what he's doing and just doesn't care.

He's funny, sometimes heartwarming and often someone you feel for. But he's never been the most mature character on the show. Raj's puppy could give Sheldon a run for his money in that department.

The most accurate description of Sheldon I've seen on these boards. The guy really is insufferable, sometimes I wonder how the character is likeable at all. I put it down to Parsons entirely and his acting, the guys got bucket loads of charm and it gives Sheldon an edge.

The most accurate description of Sheldon I've seen on these boards. The guy really is insufferable, sometimes I wonder how the character is likeable at all. I put it down to Parsons entirely and his acting, the guys got bucket loads of charm and it gives Sheldon an edge.

Completely agree to the above posts.

Not surprisingly, a question Jim gets asked often is 'how do you make an unlikable character likable?' He, of course, gives the entire credit to the writers, but I think it has more to do with that 1% of Jim's own charismatic innocence seeping into Sheldon.

Dealing with a real world Sheldon would be a nightmare.

I've known a real world "Sheldon" (naive childike arrogant socially retarded super annoying bona fide genius), and a real world "Leonard" ( short whiny insecure jealous untrustworthy horny mommy-issues-galore intellectual of average accomplishments).

While dealing with both could be no picnic, I must say overall I preferred "Sheldon". He had no malice, and you could trust him (within reason). "Leonard" was broken beyond repair.

P.S. I wouldn't date either in RL. :icon_lol:

@Rickfromillinois

I agree very much with your post, you have pointed out a lot of valid points there. Specially regarding with: why would Sheldon ever be interested in Penny? she lacks what he finds the most attractive: education and culture. As physically attractive as she could be, unless she gets interested in science and works to have a degree and become an educated swan, she will always be the uncultured ugly ducking to his eyes.

Also, I disagree, they don't "hate" each other, quite the opposite, they have a nice friendship, despite their differences, they bicker, yes, but that's precisely for those obvious differences, not for some supposedly sexy tension. Most of the time, what floats between them is indifference.

And I have a couple questions:

1. Leonard was not planned to be the dream-guy, so I perfectly understand many fangirls doesn't have the hots for him. He is super-awkward, short, bespectacled, etc. Then, as a general rule, girls are not interested in the clingy guy who kisses their feet, they want the unnatainable, the challenge (hint, hint :icon_wink:)

But what makes me very angry, is when he is put down for his "mommy issues". I mean, he had an horrible mother!, he has all the right to be traumatized, it was not his fault at all!

I also think it's also a big-fat hipocrisy, why Sheldon is not being ridiculed for his breakdowns when he remembers his parents' fights?, no!, he provokes to be cuddled instead. Double standard much?

2. Couldn't it be that a good deal of this "ship wars" is Jim Parson's fault?

My point is, he isn't, by any means, your regular Hollywood hunk, but, still, at the end, he results being much more attractive than how Sheldon, the character, is supposed to be.

He is oftenly referred with mocking adjectives, he has been called "giant praying mantis", he is supposedly skinny, tall yes (but in a ridiculous way), pale, lanky, with an odd sense of fashion, etc. I know he is not supposed to be freakishly ugly, but, just as the other three guys, he is no stud either.

I'm trying to not generalize that much, sorry if someone feels offended, but I have the feeling that many of those fangirls and shippers tend to forgive Sheldon's multiple faults because of Jim's looks and charm.

Yesterday I watched some old Mr. Bean clips, I couldn't help it, but many of his mannerisms and behaviour reminded me of Sheldon.

So, I wondered, what if Sheldon were played by, let's say, Rowan Atkinson?

RA2.jpg

Would so many girls still think he is that undercover dreamy prince that should definitely be paired to the gorgeous girl next door?

• Like 1

So, I wondered, what if Sheldon were played by, let's say, Rowan Atkinson?

Would so many girls still think he is that undercover dreamy prince that should definitely be paired to the gorgeous girl next door?

What if Leonard were played by Rowan Atkinson? Would Lenny shippers still want THIS Leonard with Penny? :icon_lol:

RA2.jpg

As for "mommy issues", is it Leonard's fault? That's not the right question. Whoever fault it is, would you want a boyfriend who's extremely insecure, whiny and manipulative because of his traumatic childhood? "Mommy issues" is a big no-no in a boyfriend. It's annoying, unattractive, and also may make the girlfriend's life a living hell.

How does Leonard's mom really effect his relationships? They don't. She doesn't even care about him. Sheldon's mother would flip if he adopts a child or goes in vitro. That to me, effects Sheldon's relationships way more then Leonard's uncaring mother.

What if Leonard were played by Rowan Atkinson? Would Lenny shippers still want THIS Leonard with Penny? :icon_lol:

You didn't really answer the question, but if your reversed question has the "urgh, for sure not!" subtext, then you are proving my point (at least in your case)

I'm no Lenny shipper, I'm more a Shamy shipper of sorts, and to respond my previous question and yours, No, I wouldn't mind if Sheldon were played by another actor, Atkinson, Buscemi, name your preferred other unconventionally looked one. It wouldn't be the same thing of course and I love the way Jim acts the part and I think he and Mayim make a lovely on-screen couple, but I can say I'm not particularly drawn to the pairing based in their physical appearance more than in the way the characters relate to each other.

Not that my personal stance or situation makes me "better", or the one of those who fancy Jim "bad", I was just wondering about a tendency I noticed, that's all.

As for "mommy issues", is it Leonard's fault? That's not the right question. Whoever fault it is, would you want a boyfriend who's extremely insecure, whiny and manipulative because of his traumatic childhood? "Mommy issues" is a big no-no in a boyfriend. It's annoying, unattractive, and also may make the girlfriend's life a living hell.

Well, there goes down the drain the chance of being loved for a lot of guys with difficult childhoods :icon_cry:

And to be with a man with severe OCD, aversion to physical contact, extreme condescendence and arrogance, suspended childhood and a good deal of selfishness is heaven on earth?

I see double standards again. All the guys in the show have faults and issues, none of them is a dream catch, but, for some reason, Leonard almost always gets the short end.

An slightly different question: What if Jim played Leonard and Johnny played Sheldon?

Would the tall, dark, blue eyed whiny, mommy-issued, disgustingly horny and clingy guy still be so repellant?

Confession: I am completely in love with Jim's appearance (among other things).

I'm not sure why this feeling could lead to anyone thinking that Sheldon should get together with Penny. Because they're both 'good-looking', and Leonard and Amy are both 'not good-looking' (by some conventional measures)?

That's so predictable. I find it fascinating that the couples here are paired irrespective of looks. And it's a deliberate move - Johnny and Mayim are both considerably attractive in real life. They are made to look nerdy and dowdy on the show. I like how the pairings consequently symbolize that love and emotional attachment goes beyond physical appearances.

Confession: I am completely in love with Jim's appearance (among other things).

I'm not sure why this feeling could lead to anyone thinking that Sheldon should get together with Penny. Because they're both 'good-looking', and Leonard and Amy are both 'not good-looking' (by some conventional measures)?

That's so predictable. I find it fascinating that the couples here are paired irrespective of looks. And it's a deliberate move - Johnny and Mayim are both considerably attractive in real life. They are made to look nerdy and dowdy on the show. I like how the pairings consequently symbolize that love and emotional attachment goes beyond physical appearances.

Of all the ramifications of a relationship based show, this is one I agree with.

An slightly different question: What if Jim played Leonard and Johnny played Sheldon?

Would the tall, dark, blue eyed whiny, mommy-issued, disgustingly horny and clingy guy still be so repellant?

For me, yes. I wrote about this before - I used to like Leonard, and I didn't think him unattractive. However, as Leonard progressively turned into kind of a douche in later seasons, he got more repulsive in my eyes. :icon_lol: It was quite fascinating, how his 'personality' gradually influenced the way I perceived his 'looks'...

That being said, you're still asking irrelevant questions. You seem to imply that the views of those who like Sheldon with Penny because of his looks are somehow less valid. That's a very hypocritical view.

First of all, this is fiction, and in that fiction Sheldon in his entirety of looks, personality, intelligence, and good nature is played by Jim Parson. It is what it is. Who knows, maybe if Sheldon were played by Brad Pitt people wouldn't like him because the character would no longer work.

Second, in real life, would you ever sleep with hunchbacked Quasimodo or with a horriblly disfigured Phantom of the Opera just because he's an awesome wonderful guy who's totally in love you? You wouldn't? How SHALLOW of you. Shame, shame! :icon_lol:

The point is, it is not shallow to be attracted to good looks, it's actually a biological imperative to do so. What IS shallow is to be attracted ONLY to good looks while disregarding the whole package, even if the hero of your dreams is a pathetic evil human being with a puny deformed soul.

And it's also a known fact, that despite of how someone's looks rate "objectively", as people get attracted to someone's personality, they also perceive their looks as more and more attractive (and vice versa, as they get disappointed in the whole package, they also start getting repulsed by even the most beautiful looks).

Btw, read the posts by Lenny shippers - they find Johnny Galecki very sexy. Yet you don't think THEM shallow. Double standard, much? :icon_wink:

I believe that of the male characters on the show Howard is the one with the biggest mommy issues. He lives with her, he planned on continuing to live with her after getting married, she takes him to the dentist for his check ups, fixes all of his meals, and yet he constantly complains about her to the point of making statements about looking forward to her death.

Next is Sheldon. He loses his job, mommy comes to fix things. Amy breaks up with him, mommy comes to fix things. He hangs Penny clothes on the telephone lines, mommy calls, he quits his job, he goes home to mommy. Emotionally, Sheldon is a small boy who when he has troubles or misbehaves, mommy steps in to fix things. He even has Penny fill in the role of his mommy when he is sick or injured, having her sing "soft kitty" to him, just like mommy. His mommy issues/behavior is one of the many reasons that he should never be with Penny in a romantic relationship.

Leonard. Leonard very seldom brings up the subject of his mother. Most often he only talks about her when someone else brings her up or she comes for a visit. His main issues with his mother seems to be her lack of approval or warmth. One would think at face value that she had raised Sheldon considering both of their aversion to physical human contact. It seems to me that as far as he is concerned he would just as soon she stayed out of his life. He knows that there have been several occasions where there have been things happening to his family that she didn't bother telling him about, not because she wanted to save him from bad news, but because she was inconsiderate of his feelings. The death of a favorite Uncle, hid dog, his mother and Father getting divorced. To her none of these were even worth mentioning. Leonard obviously has issues with his mother but he is dealing with it much better then either Howard or Sheldon are. His answer is to cut her out of his life as much as possible and that seems to be working. After all, she didn't appear to have that much interest in his life while he was growing up. Were I him, if they ever have he and Penny getting married, I would inform the mother after the fact. She never seemed to care before, why have her show up at the wedding and ruin it for them?

One other thing, I find it interested how often Leonard is being brought up for attacks on a thread that is supposed to be devoted to Sheldon should be with Penny. It is understandable why those who do not believe that Sheldon and Penny being together is a good idea should point out the flukes and flaws in Sheldon's personality, but why are there some very long posts attacking Leonard? It would seem that somehow portraying Leonard as a terrible person makes Sheldon a good choice to be with Penny while in reality Raj and if unattached, even Howard, would have a much better chance of making Penny happy the Sheldon would because of his personality.

Final thing. I have seen some what I consider unwarranted and even imagined faults attributed to Leonard. One of the many sometimes mentioned is his intelligence and lack of accomplishments. To begin with, how is supposedly having just an "average" intelligence somehow make him less compatible with Penny? She is not stupid, but she is hardly a genius. At the same time the character Leonard said that he got his PHD in physics when he was 23. Do the math. Generally it takes 8 years of education to get a PHD. That would mean that Leonard had to graduate high school somewhere around 15. In addition, he didn't get a PHD in basket weaving, he got it in Physics. The man as portrayed is very very smart.

For me, yes. I wrote about this before - I used to like Leonard, and I didn't think him unattractive. However, as Leonard progressively turned into kind of a douche in later seasons, he got more repulsive in my eyes. :icon_lol: It was quite fascinating, how his 'personality' gradually influenced the way I perceived his 'looks'...

That being said, you're still asking irrelevant questions. You seem to imply that the views of those who like Sheldon with Penny because of his looks are somehow less valid. That's a very hypocritical view.

First of all, this is fiction, and in that fiction Sheldon in his entirety of looks, personality, intelligence, and good nature is played by Jim Parson. It is what it is. Who knows, maybe if Sheldon were played by Brad Pitt people wouldn't like him because the character would no longer work.

Second, in real life, would you ever sleep with hunchbacked Quasimodo or with a horriblly disfigured Phantom of the Opera just because he's an awesome wonderful guy who's totally in love you? You wouldn't? How SHALLOW of you. Shame, shame! :icon_lol:

The point is, it is not shallow to be attracted to good looks, it's actually a biological imperative to do so. What IS shallow is to be attracted ONLY to good looks while disregarding the whole package, even if the hero of your dreams is a pathetic evil human being with a puny deformed soul.

And it's also a known fact, that despite of how someone's looks rate "objectively", as people get attracted to someone's personality, they also perceive their looks as more and more attractive (and vice versa, as they get disappointed in the whole package, they also start getting repulsed by even the most beautiful looks).

Btw, read the posts by Lenny shippers - they find Johnny Galecki very sexy. Yet you don't think THEM shallow. Double standard, much? :icon_wink:

It would seem that Leonard became a "douche" because he started fighting against Sheldon's bullying. It strongly appears that the more one is a Sheldon shipper the more that they find fault with Leonard.

As for Lenny shippers finding Johnny Galecki sexy, I don't remember hearing anyone say that although I am sure that there must be an isolated incident or two that can be pointed to, other wise why say so? It seems to me that most people who like the Leonard character do so because he is the closest thing to a normal guy, with normal and not so normal, problems in his life, trying to and succeeding in getting the hot girl next door. Point of fact, it wouldn't work as well if he was sexy. On the other hand there are an abundant examples of Sheldon shippers going on and on about how sexy Jim Parsons is.

To further a point If I may and one I don't believe I have read in any response on these boards.

"Relationships" = 0 ....for these guys "NONE" of them had ever been involved when this all first started.Basically saying they had no base knowledge of what one was much less how to make one work.They were four "nerdy" guys who got introduced to "girls" and like a shiny new toy it became "I want one" don't know what to do with it,how to take care of it,how to fix it but still want one.

Now stand back and watch as they fumble thier way thru what they think is a relationship and everybody is so critical in thier interpitation of how thier relationships should be.

Penny should go out with Sheldon...OMG "Attack" how dare anyone suggest such a thing,Blah,Blah and so on the list of experlatives to long to type.If they go out they go out key words "GO OUT" does dinner and a movie costitute full blown relationship think not.

These are just humble views and opinions on a show I really like.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

the thing that bugs me is that it always ends up in a Leonard flame argument.

I have no issues with Shenny shippers. I don't understand it, I don't see it and honestly, it would be the ONE thing that would make me stop watching the show, but that's me.

What really gets tyring is the whole "Penny should go out with Sheldon because.... Leonard is a jerk, because Leonard is short, because he wears glasses, ETC, (LOL once I even read that Penny should go out with Sheldon because Leonard has asthma and he can't keep up with Penny... *rolleyes*).

It has been going on for years. Shenny shippers attacking Leonard just for the sake of trying to "justify" their ship. THAT is what bothers me. Leave Leonard OUT of it if you're gonna ship them.

To further a point If I may and one I don't believe I have read in any response on these boards.

"Relationships" = 0 ....for these guys "NONE" of them had ever been involved when this all first started.Basically saying they had no base knowledge of what one was much less how to make one work.They were four "nerdy" guys who got introduced to "girls" and like a shiny new toy it became "I want one" don't know what to do with it,how to take care of it,how to fix it but still want one.

Now stand back and watch as they fumble thier way thru what they think is a relationship and everybody is so critical in thier interpitation of how thier relationships should be.

Penny should go out with Sheldon...OMG "Attack" how dare anyone suggest such a thing,Blah,Blah and so on the list of experlatives to long to type.If they go out they go out key words "GO OUT" does dinner and a movie costitute full blown relationship think not.

These are just humble views and opinions on a show I really like.

Perhaps it is caused by a difference of perception. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I took it to mean that they should start dating, something similar to what Penny and Leonard are doing now, whereas you seem to believe that it means they go out on a single date. That is a big difference, although I still have trouble believing that Sheldon would ever ask and Penny would ever accept, it would change the whole dynamic of the discussion.