Penny should go out with Sheldon

But the opposites are not attracting here... that's the thing. They are not best friends.. they are friends, but not each other's best friends. Sheldon has said it himself that Leonard is his best friend. Penny just got off his mortal enemies list some time ago.

You are right, it IS comedy gold, as it is right now.. why mess with that? ...

and like you said so yourself the "opposites attract, former enemies become best friends, they bicker, they fight, they are made for each other" is classic... it has been done... TOO many times. Like I said, on those shows I mentioned (you are probably too young to have watched them) and in many other shows. and movies...too many times. it's old. too old.

but whateaver, not gonna convince anyone, just stating why I don't want to see that happenning. ever.

Just because they haven't called each other their best friends on the show doesn't mean they're not they count on each other to be not, penny being on his list was probably because she sat in his spot or something and once Leonard betrayed Sheldon he was downgraded to just friend no longer best.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only thing that makes them "standard couples" in your mind is that the pairings are not to your liking.  The only reason you keep harping on this "curve ball" or "twist" or what you think is "thin

OK, I normally sit out arguments like this one. But this one sailed way over the pale.   Please explain how Sheldon and Penny would bring out the best in each other? The characters of Penny and Shel

I loved the British Comedy "Are You Being Served" . Ran from 1972-1983 I believe. Penny in no way should go out with Sheldon. They have no interest nor any desire to be in a romantic relationship.

Sheldon and Penny would make this too much of a drama and would kill the show

Sheldon and Penny's hilarious interactions in the earlier seasons is what made this show. Sheldon and Penny together is the comedy goldmine.

That's true, but those weren't "couple interactions". That was the fun part of it, that they weren't flirting, that they didn't have any ulterior motives. That's what makes their bickering so much fun.

I have seen my share of great shows ruined when putting these type of characters together as a couple (Sam/Diane from Cheers, Maddie & David from Moonlighting, etc). I don't want to see it again on TBBT.

Well, ull probably see TBBT ruined. Theres no chance of the show going back to L/S/R/H/P... with the introduction of Amy and Berdanette, the show can only go downhill. The show is already headeing downhill towards drama and theres no way that it would be stopped and changed back to the comedy that we all loved.

If Sheldon and Penny got together that would mean he'd be open to a physical romantic relationship with penny and would need time for penny to understand it wouldn't be right away and penny would understand that as well if they did get together.

If Sheldon and Penny got together that would mean he'd be open to a physical romantic relationship with penny and would need time for penny to understand it wouldn't be right away and penny would understand that as well if they did get together.

With Sheldon it is not a matter of like or dislike human contact, it is a phobia. A fear of it. For that reason alone I could never see them getting together. With allot of work he may someday get to the point where he might tolerate it, although I sincerely doubt it, but he would never get to the point where he would enjoy it. Another aspect of such a relationship that I hesitate to mention because of the knee jerk reaction from some, is the number of Penny's previous sexual partners. This is not an attack on Penny's morals. It is a fact that someone with Sheldon's phobias the idea of having intercourse with anyone who had previous partners would be intolerable. He would demand the medical records of every man that she had ever slept with. In other words, and let me say this again, because of his phobias, he would need a virgin. Everyone saw how he reacted when he drank out of Leonard's water glass. It upset him not only because of Leonard's germs, but the germs that Leonard may have transferred from Priya, as Sheldon put it, an individual from a 3rd world country.

We have all heard Sheldon's hypothesis on how many men Penny has slept with. The accuracy of his formula can be debated but the fact that HE believes it cannot. Do you really think that he would ever have sex with someone of which he believes has had that many sexual partners?

It would be too weird. It would not be funny IMO. It would be distasteful.

We have all heard Sheldon's hypothesis on how many men Penny has slept with. The accuracy of his formula can be debated but the fact that HE believes it cannot. Do you really think that he would ever have sex with someone of which he believes has had that many sexual partners?

Sheldon will probably ask Penny to undergo testing before they engage in coitus. :icon_cheesygrin: (As he should, and as everybody should this day and age of rampant STDs.)

For now, Sheldon is not interested even in kissing or holding hands. But he's slowly changing. Will Sheldon ever change enough before the end of the show? Lets wait and see.

I have seen my share of great shows ruined when putting these type of characters together as a couple (Sam/Diane from Cheers, Maddie & David from Moonlighting, etc). I don't want to see it again on TBBT.

Ah, but I think those failures (and many, many others) are entirely the fault of the writers' inability to write for a relationship. They almost always seem to think, "Now that we've hooked A and B up together, we have to make the show all about them!" when the relationship should remain in the background.

The only time I've seen 2 main characters brought together in a meaningful way that actually ADDED to the story was John & Aeryn on Farscape. Seriously the Best. TV. Couple. Ever. There was a lot of debate in fandom at the time about whether they should/should not ultimately get together, but when they finally did, it was awesome -- they both remained true to their characters and the "relationship" did not take over the story.

Frankly I would be shocked if they ever had Penny and Sheldon get together and personally it is not something that I would enjoy watching. You can only take that "opposites attract" analogy so far. It is in fact untrue that total opposites attract. I haven't seen many nuns dating Hells Angels.

I could not see Penny ever falling for someone who is mortified by just touching someone else, let alone kissing them and forget the whole coitus thing. I believe that Penny is too desirous of human contact for that. I believe that she likes and wants kisses, holding hands, hugging, and sitting close to her boyfriend. And I think she enjoys the sexual aspect of the relationship too.

Although it stretches credulity that Penny would date Leonard or him her for a lengthy period of time, Penny and Sheldon would be too much. Instead of being humorous I would find it repugnant.

I so agree. Sheldon wouldn't touch Penny, she has used bandaids on her bathroom floor! :icon_eek: The only person that he could potentially get that close too is Amy.

With Sheldon it is not a matter of like or dislike human contact, it is a phobia.

I agree he seems to have more of a phobia for germs, which would lead one to avoid physical contact, but not that he has a phobia about touch per se. With a true phobia, he would freak out more, not just be super annoyed or uncomfortable when he touches someone. But he was able to help Penny get dressed in the ADD, and he hugs his mother and sister (although somewhat unwillingly).

Sheldon probably hasn't had much opportunity to BE touched, outside of family. So he's not at all used to it, and don't many of us tend to avoid things we aren't used to?

For one his views of penny wouldn't change of what she has or hasn't done and at the fact he assumes she's healthy or Leonard would show signs.

[/quote

As I tried very strenuously to make clear, that is his opinion. It doesn't make it true, but it is what HE believes and he will react in accordance to his beliefs on the subject. As I repeatedly stated, it is not an attack on Penny.

Ad for Leonard showing signs, I am sure that you are aware that sometimes symptoms from STD's do not appear for years. Leonard would have to be tested. I am also sure that you are aware that if Penny did have an STD, AND I AM NOT SAYING THAT SHE DOES, it doesn't necessarily mean that Leonard would catch it. An example is that it is possible for somebody to have unprotected sex with another individual who has HIV and not catch it from them. It would be EXTREMELY STUPID AND DANGEROUS to try it, but there is a chance that nothing would happen. Sheldon would be very aware of that. IF he is afraid to drink out of a glass of water the someone else has drank from because of one individual who they may have kissed, Why would you think that he would ever have sex with someone whom he believes may have had 30 some sexual partners.

Ah, but I think those failures (and many, many others) are entirely the fault of the writers' inability to write for a relationship. They almost always seem to think, "Now that we've hooked A and B up together, we have to make the show all about them!" when the relationship should remain in the background.

The only time I've seen 2 main characters brought together in a meaningful way that actually ADDED to the story was John & Aeryn on Farscape. Seriously the Best. TV. Couple. Ever. There was a lot of debate in fandom at the time about whether they should/should not ultimately get together, but when they finally did, it was awesome -- they both remained true to their characters and the "relationship" did not take over the story.

Yeah but didn't they end up getting zapped into piles of dust in the end? Bummer. She was HOT though.

Penny has no desire to go out with Sheldon and why would she. He thinks of her as beneath him and Penny knows that. She has stated and shown on countless occasions that she does not think of him in that way. She would never put up with or maintain a romantic relationship with someone like Sheldon.

Penny has no desire to go out with Sheldon and why would she. He thinks of her as beneath him and Penny knows that. She has stated and shown on countless occasions that she does not think of him in that way. She would never put up with or maintain a romantic relationship with someone like Sheldon.

adding onto what carl said. penny finds sheldon obnoxious, sheldon finds penny to be inferior. never will work out

That's what the writers have done kept l/p in the background and not make it about them.

He asked her out and wasn't against it just that she thought Sheldon was trying to make Amy jealous.

The passion in this discussion tells me that they shouldn't get together, but they should continue to dance around each other. They are great together as friends/adversaries and the possibility of them getting together makes their encounters much more fun than if they actually did.

(I have also seen the disaster that bringing characters together can be - most recently House/Cuddy - OMG awful!)

The fan fiction exists to satisfy those who want to see them together.

The passion in this discussion tells me that they shouldn't get together, but they should continue to dance around each other. They are great together as friends/adversaries and the possibility of them getting together makes their encounters much more fun than if they actually did.

Except when the dancing around each other gets dragged out so long that it starts begging belief and then it ends up just looking like the writers don't want to go where the story is naturally taking them and prefer to tease the audience beyond their tolerance ... which also can kill the show. Exhibit A: Mulder & Scully (X-Files) :icon_frown:

I'm not saying that I think Sheldon and Penny are dancing around each other that way at the moment. I don't think either of them thinks of the other in even a remotely romantic way right now. But ... I do think the foundation is there if the writers were ever to decide to go (slowly) down that road.

Jim and Kaley have great chemistry on-screen together. Sheldon and Penny are great complements to each other as characters. Sheldon's not afraid to say, "Penny, you're an idiot" and Penny isn't afraid to say, "Sheldon, you're a crazy as f-ck" and they still are great friends. There are various examples of times where they get along great (S2E3, Sheldon gets Penny into Age of Conan; S2E7, they get into a 'fight' and he throws her underwear onto the telephone wire and she calls his mother; S2E18, he helps her make Penny Blossoms; S3E8, he drives her to the hospital after she falls in the shower; S3E10, Sheldon tries to teach Penny physics; S3E18, Penny takes Sheldon tux shopping; S3E20, Penny makes spaghetti for Sheldon and cuts up the little hot dog for him and he even goes through eating two meals to not offend either Penny or Leonard - she also takes him to Disneyland; S5E2 they're sitting in Penny's apartment and they're like an old married couple).

I could go on with that.

Anyway, despite their on-screen chemistry, I think it's best it stays this way. It would be cute at first, but it's in no way realistic and their relationship would fail really, really quickly.

• Like 1

I just don't see any attraction between the two nor will I. Penny is more like a surrogate big sister then a possible girlfriend and I would find it just as creepy if they brought Sheldon's sister back and then have them making out. It's just too strange and somewhat creepy. If we are shooting for strange pairings why not go with Amy and Howard getting together. Another pairing that I don't think most people would buy off on.

I just don't see any attraction between the two nor will I. Penny is more like a surrogate big sister then a possible girlfriend and I would find it just as creepy if they brought Sheldon's sister back and then have them making out. It's just too strange and somewhat creepy. If we are shooting for strange pairings why not go with Amy and Howard getting together. Another pairing that I don't think most people would buy off on.

I agree; I have always been confused why people think sheldon and penny should be romantic. They are awesome just the way they are. Plus, I don't see sheldon doing that to leonard.

Plus, I don't see sheldon doing that to leonard.

Penny is not a thing that can be owned by anyone. Besides, after Leonard screwed Sheldon's experiment, Sheldon doesn't owe any misplaced loyalty to Leonard.

I agree; I have always been confused why people think sheldon and penny should be romantic. They are awesome just the way they are. Plus, I don't see sheldon doing that to leonard.

he wouldn't be doing anything to Leonard

Plus, I don't see sheldon doing that to leonard.

Penny is not a thing that can be owned by anyone. Besides, after Leonard screwed Sheldon's experiment, Sheldon doesn't owe any misplaced loyalty to Leonard.

Agreed

In the show's timeline the arctic expedition was at least two years ago. Sheldon does not seemed to bothered by it at all. To argue that somehow Leonard's messing up Sheldon's experiment would justify Sheldon trying to move in on Penny is a very weak argument. If Leonard and Penny are not in a relationship then it is different.

Sheldon's arctic trip was with the Old Leonard, not the New Leonard. Sheldon and Leonard are still friends. Argue as much as you want but the fact is that the writers and directors still have them as best friends. Leonard did fly to Texas to bring Leonard back so that counts for something, along with him catering to Sheldon's whims as to where they eat, what they eat every night, taking him on trips to the comic book store, and back and forth to work.

One friend who dates another friends girlfriend is a low life. In addition, Sheldon would never seriously ask Penny out for romantic reasons nor would Penny ever consider going out with Sheldon for romantic reasons. Frankly the whole concept is ridiculous.

In the show's timeline the arctic expedition was at least two years ago. Sheldon does not seemed to bothered by it at all. To argue that somehow Leonard's messing up Sheldon's experiment would justify Sheldon trying to move in on Penny is a very weak argument. If Leonard and Penny are not in a relationship then it is different.

I don't care if it was twenty years it bothered Sheldon and still does by just internally and talk about ultimate revenge for Sheldon if that if happened even though hec wouldn't askher out for revenge.