Penny should go out with Sheldon

raj

In Sheldon's mind they are already there. His being in her apartment after dark, a kiss which he found fascinating, having to win her back from Stuart (and wanting to do so), asking to officially be a couple, a relationship agreement, etc.

He and Amy in his mind is very similar to Penny/Leonard/Howard/Bernadette (Raj left out intentionally) meeting someone, dating a few times, perhaps even sleeping with them, etc. For Sheldon, it's a similar commitment and personal emotional investment at this point already.

It takes more for Sheldon to craft a relationship agreement than it does for Penny to remove her clothes and have at it with someone. Sheldon is incapable of that type of emotional investment anyway.

Rick you mention the disneyland episode multiple times as the perfect demonstration of why Penny and Sheldon could never be a couple. At face value I complete agree but I have to add it was that particular episode that the show lost me as a fan. Simply because a) it was too ludicrous to be credited and B) it is a plot that has been used on multiple other sitcoms, where the warring exes become battling custodial parents of their friends (that 70's show, friends and others that escape me). Therefore I am not sure I would be so keen to paint this as a Big Bang character definition. It is simply a comedy ploy that has already been done to death. It was ridiculous to the extreme, it was this infantilization of Sheldon that really destroyed my love of the show.

The plot may have been used in other shows about a couple breaking up and having a custodial disagreement over the friends, but in those shows the "friends" did not act as though they were small children, even to the point of being told it was bedtime. I don't believe that any other show demonstrated so distinctly who was the adult and who was the child. Because of that, to me the thought of Penny and Sheldon getting together is ludicrous. The characterization of the Penny and Sheldon relationship being that of an adult/mother and a child has been re-enforced on multiple occasions. The multiple times that Sheldon has asked Penny to sing soft kitty to him is probably the most frequently occurring example.

The example of That 70's Show breakup very literally places Fez as the small child. With Donna berating Eric for giving him ice cream after finding some on his face. Then Hide saying Fez needed to be cleaned up and then put to bed, because he had a big day. Sorry but it has been done exactly the same on other shows. As I mentioned in my experience most men turn into needy little babies when they are sick. It is not that 'I know a few wimpy men' as you put it. It is ten years of registered nursing talking, where I nursed a huge number of men of all shapes and sizes and from all walks of life. Also does the fact that Penny wanted him to sing it to her in the Adhesive Duck Deficiency make her a small child too, if so they are a perfect match.

I also find it a little hypocritical that you are so defensive of the L/P relationship on this thread yet on another thread you acknowledged that their relationship is seriously flawed. Even going to the point of saying Leonard, needed to 'grow a pair'. I believe it is Leonard's wimpiness that has been most peoples point of criticism in this thread. Because in many ways Penny already is dating a small child.

In what way have I been hypocritical? Please point out anywhere on this thread that I have said that Leonard has not been a doormat as far as his relationship with Penny is concerned? I have consistent in my criticism of the Penny and Leonard in this aspect of their parring. BUT IMO Leonard is hundreds of times more suitable to be Penny's boyfriend then Sheldon will ever be. I am sure that your criticism of me is meant to help me improve as an individual.

I assume that the "huge" number of men that you nursed were seriously ill not suffering from the common cold. I have trouble conceiving that grown men would start acting like little children when they get ill but I can only go on how I behave when ill, which is my preference to be let alone.

Still, when coupled with Sheldon's behavior upon his return from Disneyland, it is apparent that he often acts like a small child and he also often prefers to be treated as such.

Yes, the parental theme has been used on other shows. It can also be said that the marital arguments Raj's parents have via Skype have been done before many many times. In fact they repeated that joke more than once on this one already. The gay jokes between Raj and Howard are also nothing new either. I'm sure there are more examples, it not easy to be 100% original. But the childish theme in Sheldons character has been shown regularly, it's something I'm not so keen on myself. Personally I didn't really like the soft kitty 'round', I found it a little annoying. The other 'soft kitty's' are funny but that one's too much IMHO.

In Sheldon's mind they are already there. His being in her apartment after dark, a kiss which he found fascinating, having to win her back from Stuart (and wanting to do so), asking to officially be a couple, a relationship agreement, etc.

He and Amy in his mind is very similar to Penny/Leonard/Howard/Bernadette (Raj left out intentionally) meeting someone, dating a few times, perhaps even sleeping with them, etc. For Sheldon, it's a similar commitment and personal emotional investment at this point already.

It takes more for Sheldon to craft a relationship agreement than it does for Penny to remove her clothes and have at it with someone. Sheldon is incapable of that type of emotional investment anyway.

^ Good point.

It is becoming glaringly obvious that those who are in favor of Penny and Sheldon being together refuse to address the episode where Penny took Sheldon to Disneyland.

:icon_arrowd: You missed my response to you:

I was speaking about how many people continuously ignore the scene where Penny has returned from taking Sheldon to Disneyland

That scene just validates everything I said about Sheldon before, and it highlights especially well how ALIKE (and childlike) were my dead friend and Sheldon.

And btw, we did discuss this scene already, and no, there's nothing "perverse" in Penny getting together with Sheldon.

She's not his mother, she is not his sister, they are not related, and Sheldon is not a child, he's a fully grown man. The whole point of potential Shenny relationship (for me, at least) is to see Sheldon GROW UP.

But the childish theme in Sheldons character has been shown regularly, it's something I'm not so keen on myself. Personally I didn't really like the soft kitty 'round', I found it a little annoying. The other 'soft kitty's' are funny but that one's too much IMHO.

I find the childish theme in Sheldon's character completely adorable and understandable given his circumstances, but what I want is to see him grow up and out of it.

Circumstances?

Accelerated intellectual development to the detriment of social/emotional development. It's not uncommon in progenies.

Children learn social/emotional intelligence by gradually developing those skills alongside their peers. It's very hard to do successfully if you're a genius and have very little in common with your peers from an early age. Early bloom in intellect leads to social isolation. Isolation = social/emotional retardation.

The end result is an adult who's a bona fide genius in some things, and an immature undeveloped child in others.

^ Good point.

Agreed.

It is becoming glaringly obvious that those who are in favor of Penny and Sheldon being together refuse to address the episode where Penny took Sheldon to Disneyland.

:icon_arrowd: You missed my response to you:

I was speaking about how many people continuously ignore the scene where Penny has returned from taking Sheldon to Disneyland

That scene just validates everything I said about Sheldon before, and it highlights especially well how ALIKE (and childlike) were my dead friend and Sheldon.

And btw, we did discuss this scene already, and no, there's nothing "perverse" in Penny getting together with Sheldon.

She's not his mother, she is not his sister, they are not related, and Sheldon is not a child, he's a fully grown man. The whole point of potential Shenny relationship (for me, at least) is to see Sheldon GROW UP.

There is something perverse when one member of a couple takes the role of mother and the other of a young child. Whether they're both adults or they are related or not, it is perverse.

• 9 months later...

or not...?

Who's your daddy? (HYMYM)

• 1 month later...

I see Penny and Sheldon's relationships more as a brother/sister relationships... they fight a lot and they are annoyed by each other, but they have those cute moments making it impossible for them to be away from each other

I love Penny and Sheldon, they were what got me hooked on the show. S2 and S3 were dynamite and shenny have something intense that makes me go pwhoar!!

What they have is COMEDIC chemistry, but no romantic chemistry at all.  Even Jim and Kaley have gone on record as saying that it's not any kind of subtext that they are playing and that they both find the idea weird and off-putting.

But beyond that, he's not attracted to her and she's not attracted to him.  Even back in the day, before Amy and before Penny got back together with Leonard, there was nothing more than a familial/sibling/parent-child relationship between them.

They have intensity, but the intensity of two people on opposite ends of the spectrum who have learned to deal with each other, not romantic or (*shudder*) sexual intensity.

Yak.

• Like 4

I cannot see a romantic relationship developing between Penny and Sheldon.  Penny has stated or has indicated several times that she has no romantic desires for Sheldon.  She told Amy once that one thing that can keep a person from falling for "that face" referring to Sheldon was when it starts talking.  Penny and Sheldon  just don't mix romantically.

What they have is COMEDIC chemistry, but no romantic chemistry at all.  Even Jim and Kaley have gone on record as saying that it's not any kind of subtext that they are playing and that they both find the idea weird and off-putting.

But beyond that, he's not attracted to her and she's not attracted to him.  Even back in the day, before Amy and before Penny got back together with Leonard, there was nothing more than a familial/sibling/parent-child relationship between them.

They have intensity, but the intensity of two people on opposite ends of the spectrum who have learned to deal with each other, not romantic or (*shudder*) sexual intensity.

Yak.

I would never have got into the show, if it wasn't for the sexy vibe between Sheldon and Penny. I was sure in S2, they were setting these two up. Now the show is so different, I can't imagine that happening now. But it's still my ship, they are both sooo gorgeous and I love their energy.

Don't worry I have been warned that there are NO shenny's on this forum, so I am alone.

I like your cat in a jacket. :icon_biggrin:

Clover,Its nice that the show can make so many different people happy. Tough choice, but.

Very tough. It's not easy being a shenny. The show has and will probably never go in our direction, but that doesn't stop me thinking this ship would have been hilarious, bizarre, touching and electric. I love how strong and stroppy they are with each other. They hooked me and the first cut is the deepest as they say.

Edited by Clover

though I think sheldon and penny moments were fierce, there was nothing romantic about them, but then they don't come across as siblings either. Its a very different kind of relationship, I cannot say what. Anything could happen if the writers wanted it though, you never know

though I think sheldon and penny moments were fierce, there was nothing romantic about them, but then they don't come across as siblings either. Its a very different kind of relationship, I cannot say what. Anything could happen if the writers wanted it though, you never know

I agree with you, there was never anything romantic in the dialogue or the stories. It was their energy that excited me. They argued wonderfully and provided the most amazing tension. The looks and body language held so much potential right there, it just needed writing. Many fans saw it but the writers chose not to explore this, and even though I'm a dedicated shenny, I think they will never do this on the show. Sadly.

Edited by Clover