Penny should go out with Sheldon

Imagine what it could have been like if Penny had got into huge debt to Sheldon, and had then agreed, to have the his and Amy's baby! Penny would have become(surrogate)mother to his child, while still being his(ersatz)mother! Thankfully they kept it simple! I find it hard to believe that he hasn't used his intellect, on himself. Maybe then he would stop reverting to childhood.

The fact that he reverts to his childhood, or draws on his inner child, has nothing to do with his intellect and everything to do with his somewhat stunted emotional development.  Just because he was an intellectual prodigy doesn't mean he was an emotional prodigy.  One could extrapolate that in being separated from other children his age, either because of his intellect, or physically, when he went off to college at the age of 11, that he did not develop along the same lines as other children his age.

He could easily have clung to his childhood because he was surrounded by young adults who would not have wanted to hang out with a pre-adolescent kid.  So, he would have learned to entertain himself, with scifi TV, comic books, toy trains, anything that doesn't require a playmate.

So, his childish nature really can make a lot of sense.  The character was never intended to be "normal", and this is an aspect of his difference from other people.

• Like 2

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only thing that makes them "standard couples" in your mind is that the pairings are not to your liking.  The only reason you keep harping on this "curve ball" or "twist" or what you think is "thin

OK, I normally sit out arguments like this one. But this one sailed way over the pale.   Please explain how Sheldon and Penny would bring out the best in each other? The characters of Penny and Shel

I loved the British Comedy "Are You Being Served" . Ran from 1972-1983 I believe. Penny in no way should go out with Sheldon. They have no interest nor any desire to be in a romantic relationship.

Touching?  Not in a romantic sense.  I think that apart from the moments where they were out-and-out fighting, like in Panty Pinata, they've always had a level of friendship that has grown over the years, but it's always been platonic.

And Sheldon has asked her for advice or information, but, again, in a friendly or brother/sister kind of way.

That's the way their relationship has always been written.  The choice to partner Penny with Leonard instead of Sheldon began day one, it's not some new development.  Even when they broke up Leonard and Penny, I think the plan was always to bring them back together because the two of them together has pretty much always been the plan.

But there was never a plan to even consider putting Penny and Sheldon together.  The writers have always said that they never intended for their relationship to be romantic.

It certainly wasn't the coming of Amy that sank any potential "Shenny" ship.  Whether or not they had given Sheldon a girlfriend, he was never going to be paired up with Penny.

It doesn't have to be touching in a romantic sense. It's chemistry that inspires shipping. The shenny idea has been kicking around since the birth of this show. You may not see the chemistry that the shennys do, but it's nothing new. As for the writers never intending it, I agree with you. They got a hell of a shock, but how stupid are they? A beautiful girl and a wilful handsome man, having arguments? It's got 'ship me' written all over it. :icon_lol:

Also prior to the introduction of Amy, Lorre insured the fans, Sheldon would never get a girlfriend. I'll leave you to your deductions.

It doesn't have to be touching in a romantic sense. It's chemistry that inspires shipping. The shenny idea has been kicking around since the birth of this show. You may not see the chemistry that the shennys do, but it's nothing new. As for the writers never intending it, I agree with you. They got a hell of a shock, but how stupid are they? A beautiful girl and a wilful handsome man, having arguments? It's got 'ship me' written all over it. :icon_lol:

Also prior to the introduction of Amy, Lorre insured the fans, Sheldon would never get a girlfriend. I'll leave you to your deductions.

There are different kinds of chemistry and Sheldon and Penny have always had an atagonistic chemistry as well as a familial chemistry.  Just because people want to "ship" them doesn't mean that they have that kind of chemistry or that the characters would be good as a romantic couple.

The Shenny idea has been kicking around amongst Shenny fans, but not amongst the writers, who are the people that count in terms of character development.

And again, just because Jim and Kaley play well off of each other, doesn't mean that their charcters would be good romantic partners.

Yes, Penny is beautiful, and yes, Sheldon is handsome (by certain standards), and SHeldon is willful, but arguments don't equal romantic relationship.  Arguements can simply be antagonism, which is certainly part of their relationship.  Though he has grown to tolerate her and then to consider her a friend, he never once showed any romantic interest, despite the Shenny propensity to interpret everything that way.

I don't necessarily trust audiences creating "ships" where they do not exist.  One thing I found pretty disturbing was that fans of Law & Order:SVU wanted to break up Elliot's marriage so that he could have a romantic relationship with his partner, because "they made such a great couple!"  People are always wanting to pair people up, so it's not surprising that some people--though definitely not all people--wanted to pair up Penny and Sheldon.

I love their interactions as much as the anyone, but it never once struck me as a potential romantic relationship.  When I first started really watching the show and started looking for info online, i was shocked to see how much "shenny" stuff was out there because it struck me as people forcing an interpretation on the characters that wasn't there in the script or the subtext at all.

At any rate, since that's not the story the writers are telling, it's not in the writing and the actors aren't trying to sell it in the subtext either.

As for Lorre's comments, that has no bearing on the imaginary Shenny idea.  Maybe Amy and the SHamy were introducted specifically to put an end to the Shenny idea.  Whatever the case, as the characters grew and changed, the writers decided to take Sheldon down that road, but with a girl more suited to his personality.  Not Penny, but Amy, especially since Penny was never intended to be any kind of romantic interest to Sheldon and vice versa.

• Like 1

Yes but it's the same in 'real' life (and in programmes), sometimes two people, do seem to have something. They probably don't see it themselves. I say we kidnap the writers, and make them change direction. Penny and Sheldon get it on. I'd like something to happen, that isn't obvious. 

Yes but it's the same in 'real' life (and in programmes), sometimes two people, do seem to have something. They probably don't see it themselves. I say we kidnap the writers, and make them change direction. Penny and Sheldon get it on. I'd like something to happen, that isn't obvious. 

um...no.

Guest DroneInTheSun

Except that Shenny is a pretty obvious pairing? Like Moonbase said, it has "ship me" written all over it. People looove to ship love/hate relationships. That's why atrocious things like Draco/Hermione happen.

My philosophy on shipping is "ship and let ship". I myself have my fair share of non-canon ships, and some of them do fell in the love/hate paradigm (hello Gale/Madge!), so I can't judge anyone, but when Shenny fans say their ship is more original and less obvious than S/A I just "waugh and waugh" because it's like the most common type of shipping there is out there.

• Like 1

When I first watched this show, I freely admit, I did wonder which one of the guys Penny would end up with. It was not set in stone back then. When Sheldon, would always ignore Penny and their tense interactions did seem Iike a classic romantic set-up. So sue me. Now it's more obvious who they want her to be with but just saying...

All I'm saying is there's nothing crazy about the shenny. I had a moment and my mother never even needed to have me tested.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 2

There have been several moments on the show when Sheldon and Amy have had this wonderful chemistry...infact, there are times when the topic of Sheldon and Amy being a couple is touched upon...for instance in the jewelry store when the owner thought they were buying a ring...or when they were sitting Penny's apartment and the "being an old married couple and getting ice tea" happened....also, he is actually supportive of her enterprises and her desire to learn more (Penny blossoms, shoe app, learning physics), unlike insecure Lenoard who even sulks when she beats him at chess... almost all the charatcers on the show talk to Sheldon like he is a child because he is a child at heart, not because they all have parental feelings for him..... the only thing that distinguishes Amy is that she constantly tries to get inimate with him (the less said about that the better)....  I feel Sheldon and Penny would have a very caring and supportive relationship, bringing out the best in eachother.... Penny might actually find better direction in her life and career, while Sheldon might learn to be more emotionally open....

As for how Lenoard and Amy feel about this....I wont mind them dating (after all, Amy had no problems doing "second base" with Lenoard while drunk)....they could become "Lamy" (apt name) and save all their insecurity and clingy ways for eachother, sparing the rest of the cast....anyway, Lenoard seems to recover pretty fast after break ups and his Mum would be pleased with his choice of partner and he'd finally get his mother's approval as well..and Amy would get all the physical intimacy she craves since Lenoard is a very physical person......everybody wins.

Yeah just ruin the show and friendships by swapping partners even when they don't suit, great idea

They do suit...thats the beauty of it (I've already explained why Penny-Sheldon and Lenoard-Amy would work).....and I don't think friendships would be ruined.....Lenoard still thinks Raj slept with Penny and they're still friends....and Lenoard had a fling and broke up with Raj's sister....thats not destroyed their friendship.....Sheldon mentioned that he's seen Penny naked....Howard knows Raj wrote love poems for Bernadette....but all of them are still friends..... the truth is, even if there is early friction, the friendships would prevail over anything else and things would normalise.

Except that Shenny is a pretty obvious pairing? Like Moonbase said, it has "ship me" written all over it. People looove to ship love/hate relationships. That's why atrocious things like Draco/Hermione happen.

My philosophy on shipping is "ship and let ship". I myself have my fair share of non-canon ships, and some of them do fell in the love/hate paradigm (hello Gale/Madge!), so I can't judge anyone, but when Shenny fans say their ship is more original and less obvious than S/A I just "waugh and waugh" because it's like the most common type of shipping there is out there.

THIS, so very much. One thing that really irks me is when they say those kind of things, but I guess it's the only consolation they have left, to feel above the others. I just find it sad, I feel they should simply accept their ship is fanon and enjoy it as such, instead of spend pages and pages of bitching because the show's runners are "idiots", just because they are doing what they want with their show and their characters. 

Actually, as you had said, the kind of pairing is one of the most common out there, I think TPTB's decision of keeping their dynamic just as friends and ocassionally confrontational is way more original.

Because with all their "wonderful and undeniable chemistry" and, according to shippers, all the money and ratings they would mean if written as a couple, well, to pair them would be the easy path to take, isn't it? And they are called "cowards" by them all the time! I think it's a quite bold move from their part to keep them just as friends.

Not to mention their dynamic is as cool and great precisely because there's no romantic feelings involved!, Believe me, you don't know what you are asking for, all the so-called "magic" would be gone if they got paired up.

And, Panki, I think your subconsicious slipped up a bit:

There have been several moments on the show when Sheldon and Amy have had this wonderful chemistry...infact, there are times when the topic of Sheldon and Amy being a couple is touched upon...

I knew you were one of us at heart :icon_mrgreen:

And it always amazes me when they paint a potential relationship between Sheldon and Penny as it would be wonderful, easy, sexy, full of rainbows and sweet, touching love and moments. Like, so easy!

To start with, yes, Amy wants to be intimate with Sheldon (shame on her!)..... and what about Penny, wouldn't she? And why on earth do you think Sheldon would accept or want just out of the blue to have sex with her? Because it's obvious? because she is hot? Penny forcing him or sulking because he doesn't want to touch her would be much better than Amy?

Edited by sarah7

Panki, I think this will only ever be a dream. And Leonard has his good points. And I'd run a mile from partnering with Sheldon, even if I weren't straight. He'd be super high maintenance and emotionally and physically unrewarding.

that's just me, I know.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Sheldon and Penny have no romantic chemistry.

Sheldon has no interest in what Penny does. He believes that he is superior to her and constantly expresses this opinion to her. Penny would never put up with a person who feels this way about her. As the Sheldon and Penny characters are written Shenny could not happen.

And, Panki, I think your subconsicious slipped up a bit:

I knew you were one of us at heart :icon_mrgreen:

Lol... I admit the slip up... :p too much typing and my general dislike to Amy ...probably was on my mind while typing that post..... :icon_twisted:

But I'd still like to see Sheldon and Penny date..... I believe that plot lines have been changed in other shows due to public opinion and writers seeing better potential in changing direction, so I still live in hope until the show ends otherwise... :icon_cheesygrin:

I feel a Sheldon and Penny relationship would be reminiscent of the Sarek and Amanda Grayson.....maybe its the trekkie in me hoping for this relationship to happen... :icon_cool:

I feel Sheldon and Penny would have a very caring and supportive relationship, bringing out the best in each other.... Penny might actually find better direction in her life and career, while Sheldon might learn to be more emotionally open....

As for how Lenoard and Amy feel about this....I wont mind them dating (after all, Amy had no problems doing "second base" with Lenoard while drunk)....they could become "Lamy" (apt name) and save all their insecurity and clingy ways for eachother, sparing the rest of the cast....anyway, Lenoard seems to recover pretty fast after break ups and his Mum would be pleased with his choice of partner and he'd finally get his mother's approval as well..and Amy would get all the physical intimacy she craves since Lenoard is a very physical person......everybody wins.

OK, I normally sit out arguments like this one. But this one sailed way over the pale.

Please explain how Sheldon and Penny would bring out the best in each other? The characters of Penny and Sheldon were designed in the very premise of the show to be on polar extremes, pulling on the attention of Leonard. In the course of the show they have reached a sort of detente arranged by their need for a relationship with Leonard. Each character has said several times in the series that they are only in each others lives because of Leonard. In the course of the show we have seen that Penny is insecure about her education, accomplishments and smarts in general and she gets called: a simpleton, a gorilla, a monkey and a loser by Sheldon. She also had him imply that she was a slut and a leech. She may be all those things but I have never heard of anybody considering that kind of expression of themselves as "inspiring" That's the kind of guy she really needs to "bring out the best" in her? We know in real life Penny would have dumped Leonard if he insisted that she had to be around Sheldon. And any woman who would find Sheldon's belittlement of her erotic would be considered emotionally damaged.

For her part, Penny not only does not consider Sheldon as a possible desirable mate, she does not consider him as an adult male. She talks about him as a crazy child or even some kind of pet in the season 6 finale. What masculine characteristic does Sheldon have that the sexual charged Penny would consider a turn-on? Yes, the writers have completely "un-manned" Sheldon to the point that you wonder why Amy would find him acceptable. The most telling dialog of season 6, that killed the Shenny, is this between Penny and Amy in 6.03 when Amy showed her cell phone screen saver of Sheldon and asked how any woman could resist that face. Penny's telling reply was "at some point that face starts talking".  No question that Jim Parsons in a good looking guy. But Sheldon, as has been shown over and over again quickly irritates Penny when he talks. As she said in 6.23, she can stand Sheldon when she has her  "magic potion".

The writers can not get Sheldon and Penny together. And it's not just because Penny loves Leonard and Amy loves Sheldon. As TPTB have designed them from episode one to now, there would have to be a complete deconstruction of the characters in order to start a rebuild to make sense of a romantic relationship. That would take several seasons, to counter what has transpired over six years, and would tear the fan base to shreds. There would be no pay back and millions of pissed off fans who would be furious that their six year investment in the canon couple (Lenny) was thrown out the window. That syndication money train would derail in a hurry as the many fans would realize that there would be no need to re-watch the old episodes, it would remind them that their favorite couple was trashed.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 6

OK, I normally sit out arguments like this one. But this one sailed way over the pale.

Please explain how Sheldon and Penny would bring out the best in each other? The characters of Penny and Sheldon were designed in the very premise of the show to be on polar extremes, pulling on the attention of Leonard. In the course of the show they have reached a sort of detente arranged by their need for a relationship with Leonard. Each character has said several times in the series that they are only in each others lives because of Leonard. In the course of the show we have seen that Penny is insecure about her education, accomplishments and smarts in general and she gets called: a simpleton, a gorilla, a monkey and a loser by Sheldon. She also had him imply that she was a slut and a leech. She may be all those things but I have never heard of anybody considering that kind of expression of themselves as "inspiring" That's the kind of guy she really needs to "bring out the best" in her? We know in real life Penny would have dumped Leonard if he insisted that she had to be around Sheldon. And any woman who would find Sheldon's belittlement of her erotic would be considered emotionally damaged.

For her part, Penny not only does not consider Sheldon as a possible desirable mate, she does not consider him as an adult male. She talks about him as a crazy child or even some kind of pet in the season 6 finale. What masculine characteristic does Sheldon have that the sexual charged Penny would consider a turn-on? Yes, the writers have completely "un-manned" Sheldon to the point that you wonder why Amy would find him acceptable. The most telling dialog of season 6, that killed the Shenny, is this between Penny and Amy in 6.03 when Amy showed her cell phone screen saver of Sheldon and asked how any woman could resist that face. Penny's telling reply was "at some point that face starts talking".  No question that Jim Parsons in a good looking guy. But Sheldon, as has been shown over and over again quickly irritates Penny when he talks. As she said in 6.23, she can stand Sheldon when she has her  "magic potion".

The writers can not get Sheldon and Penny together. And it's not just because Penny loves Leonard and Amy loves Sheldon. As TPTB have designed them from episode one to now, there would have to be a complete deconstruction of the characters in order to start a rebuild to make sense of a romantic relationship. That would take several seasons, to counter what has transpired over six years, and would tear the fan base to shreds. There would be no pay back and millions of pissed off fans who would be furious that their six year investment in the canon couple (Lenny) was thrown out the window. That syndication money train would derail in a hurry as the many fans would realize that there would be no need to re-watch the old episodes, it would remind them that their favorite couple was trashed.

Excellent points.  I could not have put it better myself.

Bangermain, I agree with your post, everytime I read how wonderful and supportive Sheldon would be with Penny and viceversa, and how they "can bring out the best of each other" I can't help but scratch my head.

I mean, what are the basis for such affirmation?  The overused Penny blossoms edeavour (in wich, btw, not only Sheldon, but the whole gang helped) and learning physics are old, old story, not to mention those were only set-ups for funny situations, used for laughs, not meant to show an special supportive beaviour between each other, and they had no consequences at all! Penny learnt zero physics and she has no interest for science at all and, please, tell me ONE thing Sheldon has learnt from his interaction with Penny that is important and relevant to the character right now.

It's only the rose-colored glasses shippers see their relationship tru. I remember after the Valentine's ep, when Penny said "I know, I was a bitch" and Leonard replied "well, yes, you were", they were horrified, "Leonard called Penny "bitch", Sheldon would nevarrrrrrr!!!!!!!!" How convenient! they are ignoring that, in this context, "bitch" was being used as "overbearing" and "moody", meanwhile Sheldon had stated several times his certainty Penny sells her body in exchange of money, thus, not using the word, but cleary implying he thinks of her as a prostitute, plain and simple.

How lovely.

Panki, I think this will only ever be a dream. And Leonard has his good points. And I'd run a mile from partnering with Sheldon, even if I weren't straight. He'd be super high maintenance and emotionally and physically unrewarding.

that's just me, I know.

I agree. Sheldon is a faaaaaaar cry from a good boyfriend. He ocassionaly has redeeming points, but he is most of the time a terrible catch. And I'm not surprised at all, in fact, putting aside my much hated exaggerations in his douchebagness and OOCness (to say he is not interested in a scientific accomplishment, even if is on Biology is way OOC for him in my books), I like the fact they are being true to their characterization and showing how awful in the romantic department he is, and  that he will not magically become a charming prince, just "for the sake of love".

I just think they have to be careful and not going to the extremes you mentioned Nogravitas, to paint him so obnoxious that the audience start to wonder why would any woman want to be with him.

Amy is the only one so far, precisely because she is the only one who is compatible enough, they have primarly an intellectual connection, that's what drawn me to the pairing in the first place. I perfectly understand some struggle between them is necessary, but my main wish as a shipper, is to see them enjoying each other again, like in their 4th season "honeymoon"  :wub:

Edited by sarah7
  • Like 4

There is absolutely ZERO romantic chemistry with Sheldon and Penny and in any case seeing as Penny and Leonard treat Sheldon like he's their kid it would be even more weirder if they got together, thankfully tptb have chosen not to go down that route

I feel a Sheldon and Penny relationship would be reminiscent of the Sarek and Amanda Grayson.....maybe its the trekkie in me hoping for this relationship to happen... :icon_cool:

OMG another shenny!!! I never thought I'd see another one posting on this forum again. LOL, I'm a trekkie too and I love that comparison. Even Spock and Uhura... :wub:

Edited by Spaced_up
  • Like 1

I can see that the forum is flooded with vehement Lennys so I guess there is little chance of expressing one's opinion.... :icon_rolleyes:  but one can always live in hope...

When I first watched this show, I freely admit, I did wonder which one of the guys Penny would end up with. It was not set in stone back then. When Sheldon, would always ignore Penny and their tense interactions did seem Iike a classic romantic set-up. So sue me. Now it's more obvious who they want her to be with but just saying...

All I'm saying is there's nothing crazy about the shenny. I had a moment and my mother never even needed to have me tested.

To me it was always obvious that Penny wouldn't end up with any of the guys except Leonard.  She has always been mostly kind and accepting of the whole gang, if you go back and look at the Pilot.  Though Sheldon wasn't yet set in stone at that point, in the pilot he didn't have any designs on her.  Of course Howard flirted with her, but she seemed to connect with Leonard very early on.  He was the one she asked to sign for her furniture delivery in the 2nd ep, not Sheldon.

She has always shot down Howard's flirting, she was kind to Raj, but nothing more, and she tolerated Sheldon, but always communicated warmly with Leonard.  And when she did go to Sheldon, it was very often about Leonard, not about trying to start up anything with Sheldon.

• Like 1

There have been several moments on the show when Sheldon and [PENNY] have had this wonderful chemistry...infact, there are times when the topic of Sheldon and [PENNY] being a couple is touched upon...for instance in the jewelry store when the owner thought they were buying a ring...or when they were sitting Penny's apartment and the "being an old married couple and getting ice tea" happened....also, he is actually supportive of her enterprises and her desire to learn more (Penny blossoms, shoe app, learning physics), unlike insecure Lenoard who even sulks when she beats him at chess... almost all the charatcers on the show talk to Sheldon like he is a child because he is a child at heart, not because they all have parental feelings for him..... the only thing that distinguishes Amy is that she constantly tries to get inimate with him (the less said about that the better)....  I feel Sheldon and Penny would have a very caring and supportive relationship, bringing out the best in eachother.... Penny might actually find better direction in her life and career, while Sheldon might learn to be more emotionally open....

I've corrected your post because I know what you meant to say...

Anyway, just because someone sees two people shopping in a jewelry store and assumes they're a couple doesn't mean that they make a good couple.  I mean, the fact that BOTH of them snort and say, "Trust me, we are NOT a couple" should be the most important thing one takes away from that scene.  Most jewelry store workers seeing a couple shopping together would probably assume they were paired, but that doesn't mean anything.

And the "old married couple" was indeed friendly, but it doesn't mean that they would actually make a comfortable old couple.  I think it did signify a certain comfort and friendship between them, but that's been growing over the years that they've known each other and doesn't signify any real suitability between them for a real romantic relationship.  Their friendly banter wasn't about expressing their undying love for each other or anything.  He needed a place to hang out and she kindly offered it to him.

It's the same was when he got locked out of his apartment--she's a kind person and she cares about all of the guys.  But even that evening, they didn't really have much to talk about.  When he asked her, "How was your day?", the minute she actually tried to answer, he dismissed it saying that it wasn't going to interest him.

However friendly they may be toward each other, helping each other out, etc., there have never been any romantic moments between them nor the real potential since they don't function on the same plane.

They are essentially polar opposites in terms of what they care about--she's earthy and immediate, he's esoteric and abstruse and repressed, and neither of them is looking for each other.

In Leonard, Penny has found a sweet, smart guy who is friendly and cared about her even when she was dating other guys and trying to resist her growing love for him.  Although Leonard has stumbled in the relationship from time to time, they have a strong relationship and she has realized that he's better than all the himbos she used to date.

In Amy, Sheldon has finally found someone who speaks the same language that he does.  She's intelligent and accomplished in science and understands and even appreciates his quirks.  The fact that she wants what most people want in a romantic relationship isn't unusual.  And despite what so many Amy-haters try to say, she's not always trying to get sex out of him.  She mentions it now and then and she talks about it with her girlfriends--how is that so strange?

And would Penny tolerate a relationship where the guy didn't want to have sex?  She was shocked when Howard and Bernie were talking (after they had broken up) about not having had sex yet.  Sheldon isn't avoiding sex with Amy just because he doesn't like her or whatever.  Like he told her in Love Spell, before Amy came along (which includes the time he has known Penny) he had never been interested in being intimate with anyone--which includes Penny.

So why would Penny be interested in a guy who isn't interested in her physically at all?  And if she did somehow fall in love with him, she would face the same barrier that Amy faces--how would she put up with it?

• Like 3

Ohhh I loooved the pilot! Sheldon was checking her out but he wasn't that interested in having her around as a permanent fixture. This is a girl who is used to wrapping guys round her little finger. I found it thrilling that Sheldon wasn't the same. I was sure they were taking it somewhere. Unfortunately they didn't and the story they chose was with Leonard, another guy drawn to her by her appearance. Ah well.

Panki lets take it to the shenny thread, these conversations tend to go round in circles. I want to post a cute video :wub:  

But Amanda Grayson wasn't a ditzy community college drop-out waitress...