Penny should go out with Sheldon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only thing that makes them "standard couples" in your mind is that the pairings are not to your liking.  The only reason you keep harping on this "curve ball" or "twist" or what you think is "thin

OK, I normally sit out arguments like this one. But this one sailed way over the pale.   Please explain how Sheldon and Penny would bring out the best in each other? The characters of Penny and Shel

I loved the British Comedy "Are You Being Served" . Ran from 1972-1983 I believe. Penny in no way should go out with Sheldon. They have no interest nor any desire to be in a romantic relationship.

But go out on a platonic date?  What would be the point of that?  They already interact on a one-to-one basis in their friendship.  What would be the point of them "going out" as friends?

It seems in the common understanding of the BBT show that relationships have been established in season 6. That was the writers' target I think.

Very strange it would seem to think differently about pairing. Nevertheless I have a hunch that there will be some changes in the future but very hard to predict as it is now.

If for season 7 we are going to have Leonard gone for a period of time I am sure there will be a change of scenario in between Sheldon and Penny and Amy. In that case being someone important like Leonard no there in the dynamic of their respective relationships maybe a different approach in going out or even not going out altogether could be different. However this doesn't imply any different romantic developments or exchange of pairing from as it stands now, though.

Edited by wannamaker

Yes season 7 could determine the future of TBBT. Do they stick with the obvious couples, or like in real life do they 'throw us a curved ball'. I know in real life, when we are young we are given the myth, of happy little couples, but life isn't a so obvious. We know that Penny is on at least two dating sites(e-harmony, and the one Sheldon created for her). In the modern world, where people get bored easily, and have the potential to meet many different people, anything can happen. Also in TBBT land, if you leave for a while, it seems you're quickly forgotten(ask Priya!).

• Like 1

Yes season 7 could determine the future of TBBT. Do they stick with the obvious couples, or like in real life do they 'throw us a curved ball'. I know in real life, when we are young we are given the myth, of happy little couples, but life isn't a so obvious. We know that Penny is on at least two dating sites(e-harmony, and the one Sheldon created for her). In the modern world, where people get bored easily, and have the potential to meet many different people, anything can happen. Also in TBBT land, if you leave for a while, it seems you're quickly forgotten(ask Priya!).

I disagree with most of this post.   Penny being on a dating site years ago is hardly an indication that she is looking now.   If she were active on that sight then she was flat out lying when she told Leonard that she loved him.   People who are actually in love with someone else do not at the same time look for other hook ups on dating sites.  As for the one that Sheldon put her on, that is HIS account and not her's.   There is nothing that indicates that she is even aware of it.   As for people getting bored easily, frankly I find that pretty pathetic in someone who is supposed to be an adult in a relationship with someone they profess to love.   As for the observation that in TBBT land if you leave for a while you are quickly forgotten, I beleive that these if blatently false.   To begin with, Priya was in India with no indication of ever returning to the United States.   She was not "forgotten" by Leonard, or he would have had a much more interesting evening with Comicbook Girl.   He didn't because of Priya, and he broke up with her because she had cheated on him.   Then there is the matter of Bernadette and Howard.  If in fact in TBBT land you are quickly forgotten if gone, then when Howard flew in to the airport there wouldn't have been anyone there to meet him.   If Penny can't wait four months for Leonard because he has been gone too long, then she doesn't deserve anyone decent in her life.   She would be just a superficial and often drunken bimbo.   I don't believe that she is.   There are people who can wait for someone they love for long periods of times.   As someone who has sometimes spent years away from his wife while in the military, I am speaking from experience.   Yes, there are those who didn't wait.   I can not find any excuse to condone their lack of fidelity or commitment.

This is just really stupid.

Of course TBBT is going to "stick with the obvious couples" because THEY'RE THE ONES WHO PUT THE COUPLES TOGETHER.  It's not as if it's a matter of playing musical chairs or apple cart turnover and have them having the couples do some kind of reshuffle when all this time they've drawn these relationships as people who have finally found their soulmates after going for 30-ish years without that someone.

Howard and Bernie are married.  End of story as far as looking for anyone else is concerned.  I'm sure they'll continue to have their issues as they adjust to married life and Howard still deals with his mother and his priorities, etc.

Leonard and Penny--this is the couple of promise from the Pilot.  Now that they've finally gotten past so many hurdles, what would be the point in going backward?  The story is progressing forward and this couple has finally found some solid footing.  I think it's safe to say that they're story is going to be a matter of how and when they get to the point where Penny finally pops the question to Leonard.  I'm sure they'll still have issues because like all of these characters, they have growing to do.

Sheldon and Amy--they're obviously made for each other, since that's how Amy's character was originally conceived--a "female Sheldon".  Sheldon has stated that Amy is more suited to him than anyone else.  He's obviously smitten with her--why would he want anyone else? anyone intellectually inferior to him?  He's happy enough with Amy that she's the first person that ever made him consider the possibility of physical intimacy.  Even though he's still working on it, he's working on it for her.  He never wanted to be physically intimate with Penny, by the way.

It's only poor Raj who still wants to find someone.

So, no, they're not going to be reshuffling any couples and it's not "cliche" or "obvious"--they've carefully chosen partners in this story and that's the story they're going to continue to tell.  Life can indeed be "obvious".  If one chooses wisely to begin with, then once you find that person that can go on forever.  I think we've already seen the guys and Penny making their "mistakes" and experiencing the consequences of other relationships.  Even Sheldon has had a few random "encounters" with girls who like him for whatever reason, but to whom he was not attracted.

So, now that they've all been through all that, they've finally found their soulmates.  There's no need to mess with that (just because you want some reason for them to hook Sheldon up with Penny...)

And just because some people get bored easily doesn't mean that EVERYONE goes around messing up good relationships.  Maybe foolish people do such things, but some people actually do know how to meet someone and stay with them forever.  It really does happen in the real world.

And though Penny may have been on dating sites in the past doesn't mean that she's still on them or even at all interested in them anymore.  They haven't mentioned any such thing in quite a while and Penny has demonstrated no reason to want to be involved in such things anymore.

I don't think that they sent Leonard on this expedition as a reason to have Penny go off the deep end and start trawling for random hookups.

• Like 1

I suppose a useful analogy here is; while some early humans were content to sit around the fire, repetitively chanting, 'canon,canon,canon', others were willing to thrust a stick into the fire, and venture out into the unknown darkness. Hence homo sapien sapiens(latin=wise ones) invented the phrase, 'thinking outside the box'! 

Is that a sin that Penny had hook-ups in the past? Only barren spinsters can talk like that of Penny. :p Amy instead...yeah she is the calculating spinster with the libido of a  controlling freak... ah? (How about thinking outside the box gaqo you were talking about ;) )

I suppose a useful analogy here is; while some early humans were content to sit around the fire, repetitively chanting, 'canon,canon,canon', others were willing to thrust a stick into the fire, and venture out into the unknown darkness. Hence homo sapien sapiens(latin=wise ones) invented the phrase, 'thinking outside the box'! 

I don't think so.   So  early humans who sat around the fire actually knew what a box was?   There is thinking outside of the box and there is just stupid thinking.  There is a good reason they most likely will stick with the obvious couples.  It's called success.  The writers can "think outside of the box" and have Sheldon and Penny get together while having Amy and Leonard hooking up.  Right after that,  the writers can starting looking for another job becaue the show will be ending because of ratings tanking.

• Like 2

You guys crack me up! When I say 'thinking outside the box', I'm using it in the generally understood way, i.e.it's okay to use your imaginations, rather than always accepting what's given to you! Why are you so obsessed by Sheldon and Penny. (I know this thread started with P should go out with S), but I thought we were moving on!  P and L, it's the 'fairy tale', ending they've been setting up, for those that like that sort of thing! In my analogy, the show is the 'fire', and the 'fire' will go out, unless they come up with a 'twist'! I was proposing, that, we the fans, imagine a way to revitalise the show.

Edited by gaqo

Is that a sin that Penny had hook-ups in the past? Only barren spinsters can talk like that of Penny. :p Amy instead...yeah she is the calculating spinster with the libido of a  controlling freak... ah? (How about thinking outside the box gaqo you were talking about ;) )

Sorry, you lost me there. I wasn't passing judgement on Penny. You'll have to be more specific!

Still don't understand any premise that suggests that having, in this case Leonard and Penny, in a committed monogamous relationship would suck all the comedy potential out of the show.  Been lots of sitcoms with married couples at the core of the show that have enjoyed success as they explored the comic situations that arise in their life together.  Not saying that we have to get L&P hitched, but I don't think the writers need to break them up or play musical chair-partners and switch people around to keep the comedy alive.

And, sure, the writers have the power to throw us a curve ball in terms of the current relationships, but I think what appears to have been their sincere efforts to make us want to like and root for the central characters would be rendered, I think, pointless by yanking the rug out from under us.  If some dislike the significant romantic angle that has become the L&P relationship, I guess all I can say is that the slow (s....l...o...w) progress of their relationship has attracted a lot of new fans to the show, IMHO.

And, yeah, they could decide to have Penny and Amy run off together, Bernadette become a mass murderer, Leonard marry Lucy, etc., etc.  But it would run counter to everything that they've created to date, and would undoubtedly negatively impact the ratings...big time.  I think it's incumbent and in keeping the nature of the show's comedy to allow the characters to develop, mature and evolve without making them unrecognizable.

Just my thoughts on various postings about where Season 7 may take us.

I think it's interesting that people seem to be against a 'twist'. You all know how much money everyones made from this show. Surely, once they are so secure, that makes them free, to be more experimental. The sit-com is an art form like any other. They could stick to standard couples like you say, but like you also say it's all been done before. An art form evolves, or has nothing left to say.    

The show is first and foremost, a business.  It's primary purpose is not to provide "art", but to make money through high ratings and the advertisement fees that follow.  That is not to say that it cannot be both, but ratings comes first.   In addition, I am not sure just how having having a "twist" must be done to make it artful or how being experimental makes it entertaining.   I personally do not see showing the interpersonal relationshp  between two people who are a couple is always boring.  I believe that what makes show funny is just that.  Diverse people coming together and how they interact with each other.  What the writers are doing works and works very well.  It it isn't broke, why try to fix it?

Before they became couples, we did have eight diverse individuals, but what seems to be happening is that each, are becoming part of an amorphous couple, making their individuality less distinct. My point about them having made enough money to allow them some freedom, is because I'm thinking to the future of the sit-com as a form. What better time than now to experiment. It did start as something new; set up, dialogue, range of topics,etc. But now seems to be coming alot like other sit coms(don't mention Friends, someone will blow a fuse!). I suppose what attracted me to it was it's very difference, they seem to be losing that. Sheldon is still unique. I think if they experiment here, the next sit com(the next generation of writers are watching this show, may even be fans on here), will again have a new premise. Just my viewpoint, which is different to yours. I don't watch soaps, but know that 'twists', often shoot ratings high.

I believe the Joey/Rachel near hook-up in Friends was a total turn-off for me and many others. Any attempt to introduce different pairings, within or outside the group, would have a similar effect. The writers are most interested in ratings  not arty twists in plot lines. With Molaro at the helm, this very unlikely to occur. (I sincerely hope).

• Like 1

You guys crack me up! When I say 'thinking outside the box', I'm using it in the generally understood way, i.e.it's okay to use your imaginations, rather than always accepting what's given to you! Why are you so obsessed by Sheldon and Penny. (I know this thread started with P should go out with S), but I thought we were moving on!  P and L, it's the 'fairy tale', ending they've been setting up, for those that like that sort of thing! In my analogy, the show is the 'fire', and the 'fire' will go out, unless they come up with a 'twist'! I was proposing, that, we the fans, imagine a way to revitalise the show.

Using your analogy, the fire is roaring, so why urinate on it?  In what way is the show in serious need of revitalization?   It seems to be doing very well with the way they have been doing things without deciding that they need to "think outside of the box".  

• Like 3

I think it's interesting that people seem to be against a 'twist'. You all know how much money everyones made from this show. Surely, once they are so secure, that makes them free, to be more experimental. The sit-com is an art form like any other. They could stick to standard couples like you say, but like you also say it's all been done before. An art form evolves, or has nothing left to say.    

The only thing that makes them "standard couples" in your mind is that the pairings are not to your liking.  The only reason you keep harping on this "curve ball" or "twist" or what you think is "thinking outside the box" business is that you want some way to put Sheldon and Penny together, not because there's anything "conventional" or "standard" about the couples as they are.

You keep talking about "using your imagination" to come up with different pairings, and all that is is your way of trying to circle back to your Shenny idea.

There's nothing conventional about Penny and Leonard--if they were both the "beautiful" Hollywood leading romantic characters it migh tbe conventional.  And if they were some kind of "opposites attract" kind of pairing (which is what half the Shenny's insist is a reason to put S&P together), that would also be cliche.

But L&P are neither of those things completely.  Yes, she's beautiful and experienced in dating relationships and he's nerdy and awkward and somewhat desperate in dating situations, but the attraction they feel for each other is not based entirely on good looks or "opposites attract".  It's based on their developed friendship and understanding and care for each other.

What they've done in the pairings on this show is created characters who somehow complement each other in unique ways--girls who, for whatever reason, are able to see past the nerdy exterior (and interior, really) to understand the worth of the person underneath.

In that way, each of the guys (with the exception of Raj, so far) is paired with the character who was created to fit them perfectly.  That's not cliche or conventional but unique in that these are unique characters to begin with.

All you're doing is trying to rationalize your desire for a Shenny hook-up that's never going to happen and trying to disguise it as some kind of noble aspect of Art! or Imagination! when all it is is just more mooney-eyed day-dreaming over a pairing that doesn't make sense except for in the fevered and skewed imaginations of the Shenny crowd.

• Like 7

I would not be opposed to a curve ball but it seems obvious to me by the way they handled the second half of the 6th season they are playing it safe until the ratings dip.  I would still not favor Shenny simply because Penny has already tried to sleep with Raj and we already have a weird relationship with Howard married to his substitute mother.  I am thankful they downplayed that after the VD episode.  Anyway, Penny is too much like Sheldon's sister.

The sort of interesting thing about Shamy is they still haven't figured out what part Sheldon is to play.  In the first half of the 6th season we had the romantically inept male routine like in the Wheaton FwF episode and the second half we had the caustic male routine as if he was another Al Bundy.

• Like 1

The only thing that makes them "standard couples" in your mind is that the pairings are not to your liking.  The only reason you keep harping on this "curve ball" or "twist" or what you think is "thinking outside the box" business is that you want some way to put Sheldon and Penny together, not because there's anything "conventional" or "standard" about the couples as they are.

You keep talking about "using your imagination" to come up with different pairings, and all that is is your way of trying to circle back to your Shenny idea.

There's nothing conventional about Penny and Leonard--if they were both the "beautiful" Hollywood leading romantic characters it migh tbe conventional.  And if they were some kind of "opposites attract" kind of pairing (which is what half the Shenny's insist is a reason to put S&P together), that would also be cliche.

But L&P are neither of those things completely.  Yes, she's beautiful and experienced in dating relationships and he's nerdy and awkward and somewhat desperate in dating situations, but the attraction they feel for each other is not based entirely on good looks or "opposites attract".  It's based on their developed friendship and understanding and care for each other.

What they've done in the pairings on this show is created characters who somehow complement each other in unique ways--girls who, for whatever reason, are able to see past the nerdy exterior (and interior, really) to understand the worth of the person underneath.

In that way, each of the guys (with the exception of Raj, so far) is paired with the character who was created to fit them perfectly.  That's not cliche or conventional but unique in that these are unique characters to begin with.

All you're doing is trying to rationalize your desire for a Shenny hook-up that's never going to happen and trying to disguise it as some kind of noble aspect of Art! or Imagination! when all it is is just more mooney-eyed day-dreaming over a pairing that doesn't make sense except for in the fevered and skewed imaginations of the Shenny crowd.

I'm always amazed at how some people on this site, read a few words, and then recontextualise them to suit their 'blinkered' vision. I think, I said, use your imaginations. I think the only reason this thread has gone on for so long, is because you 'shenny haters', are obsessed, by Penny and Sheldon! What are you so threatened by? I was thinking along the lines of; a producer, sees Penny on e-harmony, and the combination of her mid-western looks, and  her profile stating she is an actress, means that he contacts her, and asks her to audition for a new sit com, he's creating. It's about a nerdy women and her friend, who live across the hallway from a hunky mechanic(who wants to be an actor). In the audition, Penny realises that all the nerdy stuff she's learnt from our heroes, will finally come in useful, and gets her the part! You know I'm only playing with you!  

Edited by gaqo

Using your analogy, the fire is roaring, so why urinate on it?  In what way is the show in serious need of revitalization?   It seems to be doing very well with the way they have been doing things without deciding that they need to "think outside of the box".  

Buy an imaginary toilet!

I'm always amazed at how some people on this site, read a few words, and then recontextualise them to suit their 'blinkered' vision. I think, I said, use your imaginations. I think the only reason this thread has gone on for so long, is because you 'shenny haters', are obsessed, by Penny and Sheldon!

What are you so threatened by? I was thinking along the lines of; a producer, sees Penny on e-harmony, and the combination of her mid-western looks, and  her profile stating she is an actress, means that he contacts her, and asks her to audition for a new sit com, he's creating. It's about a nerdy women and her friend, who live across the hallway from a hunky mechanic(who wants to be an actor). In the audition, Penny realises that all the nerdy stuff she's learnt from our heroes, will finally come in useful, and gets her the part! You know I'm only playing with you!  

That is 'cause phanta loves to writes volumes of words but I don't. I prefer to interfere with video clip... if you don't mind... gaqo.

"Leonard I am your father" Penny says :lol: (imo> also Leonard plays to be her father...what a mirror/img here!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3lLvIaYf1A

I don't know if I'm remembering right, but didn't Beverly H. recommend that Leonard, buy the same cologne as Penny's father?, if he wanted a chance with her. Maybe he did! That's a whole different viewpoint; daughters and fathers(I like Penny's father). They've covered sons and mothers, quite alot. I love it when Bev H. is on the show, she sees through all the 'masks' and indicates the real psychology underneath. If I were fictional, I'd like to spend time with Bev H. and Sheldon; stimulating conversation! Again I'm with Sheldon, in that when posts are verbose, I tend to tune out. It's like a chore trying to find the content.

• Like 1

I'm always amazed at how some people on this site, read a few words, and then recontextualise them to suit their 'blinkered' vision. I think, I said, use your imaginations. I think the only reason this thread has gone on for so long, is because you 'shenny haters', are obsessed, by Penny and Sheldon! What are you so threatened by? I was thinking along the lines of; a producer, sees Penny on e-harmony, and the combination of her mid-western looks, and  her profile stating she is an actress, means that he contacts her, and asks her to audition for a new sit com, he's creating. It's about a nerdy women and her friend, who live across the hallway from a hunky mechanic(who wants to be an actor). In the audition, Penny realises that all the nerdy stuff she's learnt from our heroes, will finally come in useful, and gets her the part! You know I'm only playing with you!  

You're insistence that enjoying the show as it is progressing--watching the story unfold as the writers and actors are telling it--is somehow less imaginative than daydreaming about Penny and Sheldon going out (or any other out-of-left-field stuff) is ridiculous.

Of course you can sit there and imagine whatever you like, whether it's the Shenny or not.  I don't hate Shennies, I just find them ridiculously delusional.

But to suggest that just because you want something else that you are somehow more imaginative than the rest of us is just some kind of sour grapes because you're not getting what you want and you're trying to make yourself seem superior to everyone else.

Imagine whatever you want--who cares?  But don't try to pretend that it's somehow "smarter" or "unblinkered" than the actual show.  What you're trying to imagine is some other show.  Don't try to insist that your imaginary show is somehow better than the real show just because you want to put Sheldon and Penny together (which is where you've really been trying to go all along.)

• Like 4

You're insistence that enjoying the show as it is progressing--watching the story unfold as the writers and actors are telling it--is somehow less imaginative than daydreaming about Penny and Sheldon going out (or any other out-of-left-field stuff) is ridiculous.

Of course you can sit there and imagine whatever you like, whether it's the Shenny or not.  I don't hate Shennies, I just find them ridiculously delusional.

But to suggest that just because you want something else that you are somehow more imaginative than the rest of us is just some kind of sour grapes because you're not getting what you want and you're trying to make yourself seem superior to everyone else.

Imagine whatever you want--who cares?  But don't try to pretend that it's somehow "smarter" or "unblinkered" than the actual show.  What you're trying to imagine is some other show.  Don't try to insist that your imaginary show is somehow better than the real show just because you want to put Sheldon and Penny together (which is where you've really been trying to go all along.)

Right on.  Point of fact is that the imagination of the creaters and writers of the show have it unfolding just as it has been shown and the product of their imagination is doing very well indeed.   If somone thinks that they have a better idea, let them try to sell it to the networks and see who buys it. 

• Like 1

I don't know if I'm remembering right, but didn't Beverly H. recommend that Leonard, buy the same cologne as Penny's father?, if he wanted a chance with her. Maybe he did! That's a whole different viewpoint; daughters and fathers(I like Penny's father). They've covered sons and mothers, quite alot. I love it when Bev H. is on the show, she sees through all the 'masks' and indicates the real psychology underneath. If I were fictional, I'd like to spend time with Bev H. and Sheldon; stimulating conversation! Again I'm with Sheldon, in that when posts are verbose, I tend to tune out. It's like a chore trying to find the content.

You're remembering it correctly, maby he did..lol I love Beverly too, she is so spot on, lays it all out & the reactions... it's just hilarious. Phanta and some others are an utter hoot when you post the idea of the Shenny, I find it very droll, but then again I had to ask Tripper for a protected thread for the Shenny as people went spare over the idea, which frankly I would love to ask Beverly about!

• Like 1