Penny should go out with Sheldon

As to the number of romantic S/P fans over romantic L/P fans all anyone has to do is look at the poll on this website Titled What Character Does Penny Belong With. Leonard has over a 3 to 1 vote count to Sheldon with Leonard going up and Sheldon going down. With respect to the rest of the polls of this website Sheldon is number 1 in most. So while Sheldon is the most popular character when it comes to Penny their are a lot more romantic L/P fans compared to romantic S/P fans.

I'm going to the March 27th taping which will be episode 22. I hope they have L/P kiss in this one so I can see the audiences reaction and see what percentage like it over the ones that don't. I've heard that when L/P kiss In their scenes the audience is asked to tone down their cheering so that they can finish the scene. If their are so many fans that don't like L/P or think they are boring I would imagine that the audience of a taping would be a great place to judge the popularity of L/P because it should represent a cross section of the fan base.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only thing that makes them "standard couples" in your mind is that the pairings are not to your liking.  The only reason you keep harping on this "curve ball" or "twist" or what you think is "thin

OK, I normally sit out arguments like this one. But this one sailed way over the pale.   Please explain how Sheldon and Penny would bring out the best in each other? The characters of Penny and Shel

I loved the British Comedy "Are You Being Served" . Ran from 1972-1983 I believe. Penny in no way should go out with Sheldon. They have no interest nor any desire to be in a romantic relationship.

It's not based on seniority or first come first served. When she broke up with Leonard she lost all claim. Even if she had a claim, which in reality she never did, it is Leonard's apartment. If he asks her to stay away then she stays away. She doesn't live there nor does she help pay rent. She has absolutely no claim. She is a guest. A visitor. Priya is Leonard's girlfriend. Girlfriends ALWAYS trumps ex-girlfriends who live across the hall. That is how it always works, on TV and in real life.

You are right. Leonard didn't tell her to take a hike. He told her to stay away. Would "kick her to the curb" be more accurate? Told to take a hike" Split? Leave? Don't let the door hit her on the butt on her way out?

See is not just an ex but the guys' friend, she may have a problem with penny hanging around Leonard anything else she doesn't have a right to tell penny, you're not going to convince me that priya is very nice person.

No Leonard didn't do any of those he chickened out and penny figured out priya didn't want her around, that would reguire Leonard to have courage, he mentions the could still hang out with out priya knowing until penny says bye and once she is out the door Leonard tries to catch up with her until he ran into the door, so no Leonard didn't say or do any of those things.

As to the number of romantic S/P fans over romantic L/P fans all anyone has to do is look at the poll on this website Titled What Character Does Penny Belong With. Leonard has over a 3 to 1 vote count to Sheldon with Leonard going up and Sheldon going down. With respect to the rest of the polls of this website Sheldon is number 1 in most. So while Sheldon is the most popular character when it comes to Penny their are a lot more romantic L/P fans compared to romantic S/P fans.

I'm going to the March 27th taping which will be episode 22. I hope they have L/P kiss in this one so I can see the audiences reaction and see what percentage like it over the ones that don't. I've heard that when L/P kiss In their scenes the audience is asked to tone down their cheering so that they can finish the scene. If their are so many fans that don't like L/P or think they are boring I would imagine that the audience of a taping would be a great place to judge the popularity of L/P because it should represent a cross section of the fan base.

Did every TBBT fan vote in the poll? Does the small percentage of fans that attend the tappings represent the entire fan base? No and no.

No matter how nice, a girlfriend doesn't not like having the ex hanging around. Priya did not tell Penny anything, she said something to Leonard. She was not only well within her rights, she was doing only what ANY normal girlfriend would do. Penny didn't live there. She didn't pay any rent. She has no rights to be in the apartment. Friend or no friend, she has no rights. NONE. NADA. ZIP.

You're right. Leonard didn't tell Penny to stay away. He started to but couldn't bring himself to do so. It wasn't because he was a coward. IT WAS BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT PENNY TO STAY AWAY. He still had feelings for her. It wasn't that hard to pick up on.

No matter how nice, a girlfriend doesn't not like having the ex hanging around. Priya did not tell Penny anything, she said something to Leonard. She was not only well within her rights, she was doing only what ANY normal girlfriend would do. Penny didn't live there. She didn't pay any rent. She has no rights to be in the apartment. Friend or no friend, she has no rights. NONE. NADA. ZIP.

You're right. Leonard didn't tell Penny to stay away. He started to but couldn't bring himself to do so. It wasn't because he was a coward. IT WAS BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT PENNY TO STAY AWAY. He still had feelings for her. It wasn't that hard to pick up on.

By your concept howard, raj, Amy or Bernadette shouldn't be allowed to hang out at the apartment since they don't contribute to the apartment and just because priya didn't speak directly to penny doesn't change anything.

You seem to have a problem understanding what I said. They do not have any RIGHT to be there. They are guests. Visitors. No Rights to be there. None. Nada. Zip. No Rights.

Somehow Priya being "bad" because she told Leonard that she doesn't like Penny handing around him is both ludicrous and laughable. Reality check....No girlfriend would like it.

Did every TBBT fan vote in the poll? Does the small percentage of fans that attend the tappings represent the entire fan base? No and no.

Interesting, this is your statement.

"I agree with you about penny and leonard and the audience being bored to tears it's been the same thing for five seasons and are so boring that people don't care if they're together or not, as for Sheldon and Penny alot more people wouldn't admit they want them together but it's a larger audience then people will admit and alot of them just want them too have more scenes together"

I find it amusing that you can make a statement about what the audience thinks but when I do it's no and no.

Penny was at the date when Sheldon and Amy went out and it didn't work out well for Penny. Sheldon guessing how many sexual partners Penny had is not a good conversation piece.

I have seen my share of great shows ruined when putting these type of characters together as a couple (Sam/Diane from Cheers, Maddie & David from Moonlighting, etc). I don't want to see it again on TBBT.

I haven't watched those shows.

All I know is that intentionally or by accident, TBBT had set up a classic dynamic of "opposites attract, former enemies become best friends, they bicker, they fight, they are made for each other".

It's comedy gold.

Yeah they are funny together but not as a couple. It's just ludicrous. Sheldon has no respect for Penny at all and constantly belittles her. Penny has never shown even the slightest romantic interest in Sheldon. What show are you people watching that you think there is a basis for a couple type relationship?

I didn't say she was bad because of that

Interesting, this is your statement.

"I agree with you about penny and leonard and the audience being bored to tears it's been the same thing for five seasons and are so boring that people don't care if they're together or not, as for Sheldon and Penny alot more people wouldn't admit they want them together but it's a larger audience then people will admit and alot of them just want them too have more scenes together"

I find it amusing that you can make a statement about what the audience thinks but when I do it's no and no.

Penny was at the date when Sheldon and Amy went out and it didn't work out well for Penny. Sheldon guessing how many sexual partners Penny had is not a good conversation piece.

No but a audience attending a taping is a very small sample

the writers have portrayed Leonard being the closest thing to a nice guy and the closest to being normal although neurotic.

Leonard is not the nicest guy on the show, far from it, although he is the most normal.

However, regardless of who is a "nicer" guy, or who is more "deserving", or what the writers intended to portray, the real question is:

"What relationship the audience wants to see in order to be entertained?" :icon_idea:

The audience wants what it wants. A huge part of the audience is currently bored to tears by Leonard and Penny's relationship, and is dying to see Penny and Sheldon eventually going out instead.

Doesn't mean they'll get it. But there it is, the desire to see Penny go out with Sheldon instead of Leonard. Why? Because it's MORE FUN. :icon_cheesygrin:

I don't know about the shennys being a huge group. I think Bill Prady made it quite clear that Penny/Sheldon would never happen. It would destroy the entire dynamic of the show, and he is right.

I have seen my share of great shows ruined when putting these type of characters together as a couple (Sam/Diane from Cheers, Maddie & David from Moonlighting, etc). I don't want to see it again on TBBT.

I haven't watched those shows.

All I know is that intentionally or by accident, TBBT had set up a classic dynamic of "opposites attract, former enemies become best friends, they bicker, they fight, they are made for each other".

It's comedy gold.

Yeah they are funny together but not as a couple. It's just ludicrous. Sheldon has no respect for Penny at all and constantly belittles her. Penny has never shown even the slightest romantic interest in Sheldon. What show are you people watching that you think there is a basis for a couple type relationship?

She might not have shown interest in him romantically but there's been scenes where she appears to be at least attracted to Sheldon

the writers have portrayed Leonard being the closest thing to a nice guy and the closest to being normal although neurotic.

Leonard is not the nicest guy on the show, far from it, although he is the most normal.

However, regardless of who is a "nicer" guy, or who is more "deserving", or what the writers intended to portray, the real question is:

"What relationship the audience wants to see in order to be entertained?" :icon_idea:

The audience wants what it wants. A huge part of the audience is currently bored to tears by Leonard and Penny's relationship, and is dying to see Penny and Sheldon eventually going out instead.

Doesn't mean they'll get it. But there it is, the desire to see Penny go out with Sheldon instead of Leonard. Why? Because it's MORE FUN. :icon_cheesygrin:

I don't know about the shennys being a huge group. I think Bill Prady made it quite clear that Penny/Sheldon would never happen. It would destroy the entire dynamic of the show, and he is right.

I just saw a past article that said Sheldon wouldn't be in a relationship so take that for a grain of salt as for shenny it might be the chemistry between the two and how they interact with each other but doesn't mean they'd be a couple

Bill Prady made it quite clear that Penny/Sheldon would never happen. It would destroy the entire dynamic of the show, and he is right.

Or maybe Bill Prady's is just being coy, because the writers don't want to show their hand just yet. :icon_twisted::icon_lol:

As for the original dynamic of the show, Jim Parson said it best (back in 2009!):

"From the end of last season and into this season even more strongly, I’ve felt that Sheldon and Penny are kind of the North and South Pole of character types on this show. Sheldon’s extremely cerebral and absorbed in that world of science, and Penny’s maybe the only one on the show with her feet in the real world. If anybody has street sense on this show, it’s definitely Penny. And so I felt last season, and I still feel now, that it’s good for the character dynamics to throw these two opposites together. It’s very fortunate that Kaley and I do enjoy working together.

It reminds me of when I first read with Johnny, too... I guess some people would call that chemistry, some people would call it… I don’t know, maybe “rhythm.†There is something about the way Kaley and I work together and Johnny and I work together that is complementary. And maybe it has to do with our characters."

Case closed. :icon_cheesygrin:

Throwing Penny and Sheldon together is GREAT for the dynamics of the show. And it was so from the very beginning.

If the writers decide not to go there romantically, whatever, it's their choice. But if they do, it will be FUN. :icon_cheesygrin:

Look I don't think you should take what the writers/producers say 100 percent they can change their mind plus they write from episode to episode without a back story.

The have a chemistry but certainly not any type of a romantic one. Penny is more of a surrogate mother or sister. It would be perverse for them to become boyfriend and girlfriend. When Jim parson said that they had chemistry he did not mean a romantic one. The old adage that opposites attract is not true when talking about human relationships. They have absolutely nothing in common. Like it or not, agree or not, Sheldon believes that Penny is a skank. Penny believes that Sheldon is a child in a man's body. It would not be funny to watch them, it would be awkward and distasteful.

I certainly see the potential for Sheldon and Penny. And I do think "opposites attract" often applies in human relationships and that Sheldon and Penny have a lot of common or complimentary ground. But ... I do agree the writers would have some work to do if they ever decided to go there. The general audience could never buy them going from 0 to 60 overnight.

God I really hope they don't do this. If they put them together, the shenny shippers would certainly jump for joy but then what?! TBBT is Sheldon, putting him with Penny would make the rest of the characters redundant overnight. I like them how they are, the chemistry would be destroyed.

God I really hope they don't do this. If they put them together, the shenny shippers would certainly jump for joy but then what?! TBBT is Sheldon, putting him with Penny would make the rest of the characters redundant overnight. I like them how they are, the chemistry would be destroyed.

I agree.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Sorry to burst some people's bubbles but Sheldon / Penny is not gonna happen. Period. Bill has said it won't, Chuck has said it won't.. Kaley is totally against it: her exact words were "Why would someone want that? what is wrong with those people?", Jim has said he is pulling for Sheldon / Amy.. so, no, the consensus being, no, I really don't think it's gonna happen. At all.

Regarding the number of fans wanting Sheldon / Penny together: being louder doesn't equal to being more.

• Like 1

TBBT is Sheldon, putting him with Penny would make the rest of the characters redundant overnight.

LOL! So what you're saying is, the chemistry between Sheldon and Penny is so great, that the fireworks between them would eclipse everything else on the show?

That's the best argument to put Sheldon and Penny together! Such fireworks and chemistry are not to be missed. :icon_cheesygrin:

And now I'd like to comment on season 4, which I just finished watching last night...

Shamy:

I'm digging Shamy! They became friends, they are experimenting together, they are growing closer and closer... And the kiss! Say what you will, I thought Sheldon was kissing Amy back a little. And his reaction? "Fascinating!" He didn't recoil in disgust, he looked intrigued and not opposed to exploring it further. Hmmmm.

And then the quasi-web-sex scene between Sheldon and Amy in the finale - Sheldon nearly had an orgasm on screen. An asexual robotlike man-child? Puhleaaase! Hardly! :icon_cheesygrin:

Penny:

I'm hating what they've done with Penny. She's just drifting, there's no growth in her character, she's devolving. Sleeping with Raj? Really? And pining for Leonard? Why exactly? It's not like she's in love with Leonard, she never was and she isn't now - she's just spiraling down in her own life and regretting letting a "solid prospect" who used to adore her get away. It's actually quite disgusting, that dynamic of "Penny regrets letting Leonard go because her life sucks and she may end up in a trailer".

Leonard:

Finally, Leonard. What a skank! :icon_lol: Leonard in season 4 was true to form. He would bang anyone (including an 80 year old), he would pursue anything in a skirt as long as he had any chance at sex. He was never in love with Penny, he just wanted to bang her - and season 4 is proof.

Leonard dropped Penny like a hot potato and spent the season happily chasing tail. He showed much more feelings for Prya than he ever showed for Penny - he was so obsessed about meeting Prya's parents, he never expressed any interest in Penny's family...

Honestly, I'm amazed that people would still be routing for Penny and Leonard to get together after season 4. Their dymanic is unhealthy and based on false premises. Falling for a hot body when any hot or not so hot body would do (Leonard), and going out with a guy to escape her pathetic loser life (Penny), that's NOT a foundation to lasting happiness.

Amy:

Is Amy gay? She kissed Penny! Amy was very attracted to Prya as well. Hmmm... Amy is definitely on the fence and can land anywhere.

I loved the progression of Amy/Sheldon relationship. They were so good together! But now having watched season 4, I still feel Amy's real physical interest lies elsewhere... It's not just season 5 come-ons to Penny, Amy was this way from the beginning. I wonder where the writers will go with it...

If Sheldon and Amy ever decide to have sex, I can see Sheldon ending up the one totally into it and in love with Amy, while Amy will be "okay, we did it once, did nothing for me"? :icon_twisted::icon_lol:

When has Penny ever been attracted to Sheldon? I don't remember seeing it. I don't believe that she has ever had the slightest sexual interest in him. She treats him more like an awkward adolescent brother. Like it or not, agree or not, the writers have Penny either in love with Leonard or almost so. That isn't going to change. They are a couple and I don't believe that the writers are going to break them up unless they want to tear down Penny's over confidence on her control of Leonard and have him dump her. She will not dump him again IMO.

• Like 1

Sorry to burst some people's bubbles but Sheldon / Penny is not gonna happen. Period. Bill has said it won't, Chuck has said it won't.. Kaley is totally against it: her exact words were "Why would someone want that? what is wrong with those people?", Jim has said he is pulling for Sheldon / Amy.. so, no, the consensus being, no, I really don't think it's gonna happen. At all.

Hey, why are you so defensive, LOL?

It doesn't matter what who said when. What matters is what will happen in the future, and ANYTHING can happen in the future. This is a TV show, things change all the time, and the writers go wherever the story takes them, kitten. :icon_cheesygrin:

Just deal with it. Nothing is set in stone, Penny and Sheldon had amazing chemistry from day one, and the story as it currently stands can very convincingly support them getting together eventually. Doesn't mean they WILL for sure get together, but they MAY.

Lets just enjoy the ride wherever it takes us, and trust the writers to come up with more amazing seasons. The show is not about shipping. Don't spoil your experience of this amazing wonderful witty show by investing too much into any one ship.

Gosh, I'd love to see TBBT have at least a 10 year run like Friends. Storywise, it can run forever, like Simpsons. :icon_biggrin:

When has Penny ever been attracted to Sheldon? I don't remember seeing it.

Watch the pilot. Penny was making googly eyes at Sheldon, not Leonard. :icon_wink:

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

"Chemistry" is not a real thing. People keep talking about chemistry as if it was an absolute fact while it is a totally subjective perception. Sorry but it really bugs me.

"Just deal with it" why? I don't have to deal with something that hasn't happenned on the show and that will never happen. I'm not the one complaining about it. I'm just stating facts and things the show runners and actors have said. I'm not upset by it, cos I know is not gonna happen. Is the people that keep whining about the Shenny not happening the ones that are not "dealing" with it.

And I know that there is a lot of seasons coming up and that a lot of things can happen. But there are certain things we know that won't. If this show was written by Stephen Moffat then yes, anything could happen: Penny is not gonna turn out to be a giant lizard from space, Sheldon is not going to end up being a drag queen and Leonard is not going to end up to be an alien travelling through space and time. LOL (it would be fun though) but is not gonna happen.

All the writing on these 5 seasons have been building up Leonard and Penny being together.. like it or not (I don't) but it is reality. You may want to ignore it, but is the truth. They are not gonna throw that away just for the sake of it.

And that's all I'm gonna say about it, cos this is already going in circles and I don't like that.

"Just deal with it" why? I don't have to deal with something that hasn't happenned on the show and that will never happen.

I meant, just learn to deal with the uncertainty. "Never ever will it happen"? LOL. Never say never. :icon_lol:

All I'm saying, getting so heavily invested in one's view of "what should happen" so that any other possible future storylines get denounced as anathema and other fans in favor of alternate relationships as blind or crazy - that's actually, how shall I put it, detrimental to enjoying the show and the story wherever it takes us?

You come across as really upset and defensive at the mere thought of possibility of Penny/Sheldon relationship on the show. (Sorry.) Vehement denial of any possibility and harping on other posters to change their minds - this doesn't demonstrate your conviction in "never ever will it happen", quite the opposite. :icon_twisted:

Just learn to deal with uncertainty and enjoy the show. Trust the writers. They did a superb job so far, they hopefully will continue to amaze us in the future. :icon_cheesygrin:

Hey, why are you so defensive, LOL?

It doesn't matter what who said when. What matters is what will happen in the future, and ANYTHING can happen in the future. This is a TV show, things change all the time, and the writers go wherever the story takes them, kitten. :icon_cheesygrin:

Just deal with it. Nothing is set in stone, Penny and Sheldon had amazing chemistry from day one, and the story as it currently stands can very convincingly support them getting together eventually. Doesn't mean they WILL for sure get together, but they MAY.

Lets just enjoy the ride wherever it takes us, and trust the writers to come up with more amazing seasons. The show is not about shipping. Don't spoil your experience of this amazing wonderful witty show by investing too much into any one ship.

Gosh, I'd love to see TBBT have at least a 10 year run like Friends. Storywise, it can run forever, like Simpsons. :icon_biggrin:

When has Penny ever been attracted to Sheldon? I don't remember seeing it.

Watch the pilot. Penny was making googly eyes at Sheldon, not Leonard. :icon_wink:

Funny that you should mention that pilot, they just reran it here a couple of days ago. I think that anyone who thought that Penny was making "googly eyes" at Sheldon and not Leonard may have an overactive imagination. I had the impression that she thought that Sheldon was the weird one of the two during that episode and that's saying allot.

Sheldon and Penny getting together will never happen.