How did you discover the show?

BillF63

I first heard of the show in an an online discussion group where several aspie teenaged boys were talking about how much better life had become for them since their classmates started joking about how "Sheldon" they were, instead of beating them up. "Sheldon" made aspies funny and sympathetic, and that was already positively affecting some young aspies' lives. "Who is this 'Sheldon'?" I wondered.

So when I heard he was an aspie character in a sitcom, I decided to check it out.

The very first scene I ever saw was so dead-on perfect. It went something like this:

Another character: "Howard can't eat that because he is lactose intolerant. If he eats it, he will blow up like a balloon in the Macy's parade."

Sheldon (with the aspie need to be absolutely precise and correct) "Except that in the Macy's parade, they use helium, and Howard produces copious amounts of methane."

Everyone laughs. and for a brief instant Sheldon is puzzled by their laughter, then he realizes that he has made a funny, even if he doesn't understand exactly what was funny, and he joins in the laughter.

All that conveyed in his face in an instant. It was perfect.

Nice post, Paula.

I saw it recommended on another forum so watched the first episode on you Tube. I was hooked after the first electron = t-shirt gag. Bought the first series straight away. This was between the TV run of series 1 and 2. Then went looking for a forum....

It was so fresh and new. Pity about the state of it now. I assume this will be my last series of chasing the latest episodes on the net. After this one (or the 1st ep of the next), I will probably just wait for it to appear on TV here.

Friends of mine are fans of the show and they recommended it. At first I was eager to watch it, I was afraid it would be some kind of geeky show with jokes I wouldn't understand, but I decided to give it a shot. And here I am, a fan of the show.

I love Raj, Sheldon, Leonard, Penny, Howard... All of theym. They're just great.

Last summer, my friends and I took the Warner Bros. studio tour in LA and they took us to the set. I had never even heard of the show before that, but others in our group were raving about it. I didn't think about it again until I caught an episode until December on TBS, and I didn't really start getting into it until I saw "The Einstein Approximation". Sheldon and Leonard in the ball pit had me in stitches. A few weeks ago I decided to use a gift card that someone gave me to get Season 2 on DVD and the following week it had totally sucked me in and I ended up buying the rest of the seasons.

I've been missing out all these years, but I'm glad I am now into it.

I first saw a preview for the zarneki incursion? (the one when someone hacked Sheldon's WoW account) and I heard the part where lenoard said "you called the police because your world of warcraft account got hacked?" "what choice did I have? The FBI hung up on me" and I laughed so hard yet it wasnt until about three months ago that I was trying to look for something on tv and couldn't find anything on then I saw it on tbs and I haven't stopped watching since then I've watched about every episode through reruns and stuff I think there's about five episodes I haven't seen total.

I first heard of the show in an an online discussion group where several aspie teenaged boys were talking about how much better life had become for them since their classmates started joking about how "Sheldon" they were, instead of beating them up. "Sheldon" made aspies funny and sympathetic, and that was already positively affecting some young aspies' lives. "Who is this 'Sheldon'?" I wondered.

So when I heard he was an aspie character in a sitcom, I decided to check it out.

The very first scene I ever saw was so dead-on perfect. It went something like this:

Another character: "Howard can't eat that because he is lactose intolerant. If he eats it, he will blow up like a balloon in the Macy's parade."

Sheldon (with the aspie need to be absolutely precise and correct) "Except that in the Macy's parade, they use helium, and Howard produces copious amounts of methane."

Everyone laughs. and for a brief instant Sheldon is puzzled by their laughter, then he realizes that he has made a funny, even if he doesn't understand exactly what was funny, and he joins in the laughter.

All that conveyed in his face in an instant. It was perfect.

I absolutely loved that whole scene. That was done genius -- sheldon't laughing made sense there, every time the group would laugh at his comments, and he realized he was being funny -- oh it was perfect, and I felt so good for sheldon!

A big contrast to the laughing scene from this season -- it didn't make a lot of sense to me.

he realized he was being funny

And the thing is, he still didn't know WHY he was funny. He was only trying to be precise, and why should that be funny? But after his initial surprise, he was gratified by their laughter, even though he didn't understand it, since it was laughter that included him, rather than laughter at him, which a lifetime of ridicule has taught him to ignore. And laughter that includes you feels good.

All that conveyed in just a few brief seconds.

I thought, "If this actor hasn't won an Emmy already, he surely will." And a little googling turned up that he has won two Emmys, a Golden Globe and a slew of other well-deserved awards.

he realized he was being funny

And the thing is, he still didn't know WHY he was funny. He was only trying to be precise, and why should that be funny? But after his initial surprise, he was gratified by their laughter, even though he didn't understand it, since it was laughter that included him, rather than laughter at him, which a lifetime of ridicule has taught him to ignore. And laughter that includes you feels good.

All that conveyed in just a few brief seconds.

I thought, "If this actor hasn't won an Emmy already, he surely will." And a little googling turned up that he has won two Emmys, a Golden Globe and a slew of other well-deserved awards.

Yes all well deserved. :)

I began watching when someone introduced it to me. I don't remember which ep I watched first but I do remember watching the staircase implentation. The thing that stood out to me the most was when Leonard almost sat on Sheldon's spot. It became clear to me that Sheldon has a very special spot. I didn't know anything about these characters at the time but I immediately understood why it was funny based on the way audiences laughed.

I discovered it when I saw the commercial of TBBT. Then I became curious about the show because it's different from any other sitcoms. So I tried to watch it and I fell in love with it. I love the story, it's unique and it has originality. Unlike other sitcoms, it's always the same.

Believe it or not, I *just* discovered the show! I had never even heard of it before, although in my defense, the teenage boys in the house seem to always have the TVs tuned to ESPN at all hours. I came across the show through the TBS syndication, and have been happily overdosing on multiple eps Tuesday-Thursday ever week. :)

Oh, and of course, Sheldon is the reason I got hooked.

I was actually a senior in high school when season 2 was ending. I was doing a project with a classmate and I said something that reminded him of a quote on the show (I forget what) and I had NO idea what he was talking about but all I heard was "nerd," "Wolowitz," and other key words. I didn't think to watch it until I caught a re-run and thought, OMG THIS IS AMAZING, and immediately caught up on all the episodes up until that point. Been my favorite show since.

It's amazing I ever saw it at all because I really don't watch TV. I watch South Park and other select shows on Netflix but that's totally it.

• 2 months later...

I rememebr the first episode I ever watched was a rerun, and it was the episode when Howard and Raj get the false tattoo sleves and go to the goth club. I recall watching this and thinking "hm! I kinda like this". Been hooked ever since.

2 or 3 months ago i happened to be channel hopping and the episode where Penny gets addicted to World of Warcraft was on and it intrigued me enough to start watching more whenever the program came on and about 2 weeks ago i orderd the dvd set of seasons 1-4 and have caught up on everything now, just waiting for the occasional series 5 to come on telly and then enventually on dvd.

Overall i really enjoy the show and the way the characters interact with each other, loving the Shamy!! Sheldon is the funniest in the show

i discovered the show one day when i was sitting in my living room, and i was waiting for the simpsons to come on, so i turned the channel to fox which had the big bang theory on, and after watching it a while i got hooked, i kind of relate with sheldon, i like comics, i collect action figures ( final fantasy), and i am a "nerd", so i relate with the guys