The future of this show

will the original 5 ever be alone  

1 member has voted

1. 1. will the original 5 ever be alone

• yes
    • no

yu do relie amy is still not part of the main cast and that's not how you spell penis.

The "main cast" is only comprised of Johnny, Jim, and Kaley. They submit to the lead actor categories for the award shows. Simon, Kunal, Mayim, and Melissa are all billed as "regular or supporting cast" with varying degrees of compensation depending on what was negotiated in their contracts. Actually, I am not 100% sure about Simon anymore. He may have gotten a bump in the last round of contract negotiations.

Mayim and Melissa's names both appear at the beginning of the shows with the rest of the cast, and not at the end with the guest and recurring actors. They are also eligible for Emmy nominations now. For all intents and purposes, they are apart of the cast now and very well could be added to the opening credits if the producers want. I don't expect them to change the opening theme, but Mayim and Melissa are still considered apart of the cast as long as they have them in regular status.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure she is. More important than Taj (or whatever his name is) .... another adolescent joke about repressed homosexuality or penises (peni?) anyday!

Penne

Actually penises is an acceptable plural form of penis. I looked it up. I still prefer peni.

amy is not more important than raj!

1. leonard

2. sheldon

3. penny

4/5 raj/howard

6 amy

7 bernadette

Sure she is. More important than Taj (or whatever his name is) AND Howard. Give me some interplay between Amy & Sheldon over another adolescent joke about repressed homosexuality or penises (peni?) anyday!

If Amy Farrah Folwer only appeared in two episodes per year, I would still prefer her interplay with Sheldon to that between Raj & Howard. Her position as far as credits are concerned is irrelevant to my opinion.

yu do relie amy is still not part of the main cast and that's not how you spell penis.

and um point if you dont even know reaj's name you prbaly wathced like 3 episodes GREAT JOB FAILING

Sure she is. More important than Taj (or whatever his name is) .... another adolescent joke about repressed homosexuality or penises (peni?) anyday!

Penne

Actually penises is an acceptable plural form of penis. I looked it up. I still prefer peni.

Yeah, I thought that might be too subtle for this forum. I guess if you have to explain, it isn't funny.

I looked it up

:icon_lol: You do realize that Google is watching and that is now in your search history forever!

Penne

Yeah, I thought that might be too subtle for this forum. I guess if you have to explain, it isn't funny.

I looked it up

:icon_lol: You do realize that Google is watching and that is now in your search history forever!

That's the least of my concerns as far as my search history is concerned. Listen, if having cheap foreign transgender prostitutes in my search history doesn't bother me, I think I'll be able to deal with peni.

Penne

I looked it up

That's the least of my concerns as far as my search history is concerned. Listen, if having cheap foreign transgender prostitutes in my search history doesn't bother me, I think I'll be able to deal with peni.

good for you and um ekap2 is not my real name i thought taht as obvious but i guess you proved me wrong. no what i meant is that "penny" (kaley cuoco) is not spelled that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I really enjoy the show and still think it is funny except the canned laughter. My wife will not watch it because of the canned laughter but l'm starting to go over to her side.

If they don't stop it l will stop watching it myself

, sorry to say.

The original 5 were the best the two new girls are ok but they just don't fit in.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to the forum, as of today. And I've been spending the last hour reading through various discussion topics/threads. The thing I'm coming away with is this (in regards to the future of the show): why is it that alot of people on here seem to be arguing for the show/characters to 'evolve' somehow? This is comedy. Which means larger-than-life characters and situations. This is not drama, which goes for realism. The main charm/draw for this show from the beginning, at least in my opinion, is the chemistry and conflict between the original five characters, with Penny and her less-intelligent but-common sense/social finesse CONTRASTING with the high-intelligence/social awkwardness of her four 'boys'.

In one sense, I can understand the addition of the two recurring female characters in Bernadette and Amy in that they contribute new and different possibilities to benefit the core group. I believe these characters should only exist for this reason. They should, by no means, take over in any sort of way. Or even to assume the importance of the other five. I believe this would be a mistake, for it compromises the integrity of the foundation and vision of the original cast. In writing for characters, particularly in comedy, writers need to keep attention and adhere to the 'rules' for those characters. Anything less would be traitorous.

I can understand the likeability of these new characters. Bernadette is very likeable. I like her friendship with Penny. It's sweet, even. But I cannot deny, even though she gives Penny some female companionship, I can't help but feel that marrying Howard off to ANYONE is giving up on the beauty of his character. Howard is (was) a lech. A truly loveable one. His comic gold has always been found in the lengths he has gone in pursuit of the elusive female. Plus it gives the other guys and Penny plenty of opportunity for comic angst and disgust in response to him. I mean, who can forget the brilliance of "The Panty Pinata Polarization" and Howard's discovery of the existence of "America's Next Top Model" house!?! It was sheer beauty to witness Howard utilizing every weapon in his considerable arsenal of resources in pursuit of tracking down the exact location of this house. Even going to the extent of unabashedly enlisting the help of some friends in the Air Force. If Howard gets married Howard settles down and becomes..well, no longer "Howard". Which is just boring.

The addition of Amy Farrah Fowler.. In and of itself, this is a great character. And Mayim Bialik's performance is almost always spot-on hilarious. In addition, the actress herself possesses a PhD in neuroscience, so the natural intelligence that shines through her character is appropriate/beneficial to the show. But again, I believe this character should only exist for the utmost benefit of the interaction of the original cast. In some ways, I do enjoy her friendship with Sheldon. But they've become too close, and their relationship has in many ways taken him away from important interaction with the main cast, therefore compromising the integrity of that paradigm. Sheldon is a VERY important component in the interplay of the original five characters--they need his ever-presence to remain intact and strong. And brilliant, I might add! Also, and just as importantly, as another contributor here has pointed out, though the original five characters are equally important to the group, there is a higher sub-group in the trio of Sheldon, Leonard, and Penny. If I'm not mistaken, the chemistry and implied triangle these three characters represent are at the core of the main design of the show. It really can't be argued that a strong focus in the creation of this show was this implied dichotomy. It was laid out in the foundation of the pilot episode. Penny's character would be firmly planted between the two male roommates/best friends/physicists..each vying, at varying degrees, for importance in her life. Throughout the first three seasons of the show, this triangle played out beautifully. Particularly between the characters of Sheldon and Penny. The creators/writers have been wise to keep them at arm's length romantically for this long. During that time, Penny, truly, had been the only character who could even APPROACH the confidence and perseverence in the Sheldon character in maintaining control in the group. Penny stood up to Sheldon in a way that no other character seemed to have the stomach for. And interestingly enough, Sheldon allowed it. Seemed to thrive on the challenge, even. THIS alone has made up much of the most interesting character interplay on the show. Not to mention giving Jim Parsons/Sheldon many occasions to display the things we love most about his character: arrogance, conniving, 'death glares'/brilliant threats, etc. The Sheldon/Penny arguments and interactions have contributed to both character's sex appeal as well, which I find doesn't come out as strongly within interactions with any other pairings in their time on the series.

And what's happened to Raj's 'selective mutism'?? That was one of the best aspects of the show! In this, the writer's were able to show just one more facet of their creative genius. With Raj being mute for at least half of each episode, we were treated to so many instances of just what kind of magic tricks the twisted minds of the creators/writers of this show could pull from their collective bags! Writing for this 'obstacle' used to be a challenge, that I believe the writers would attack with gusto. Now, letting him speak whenever he wants..well, again, has sold out this character. They're taking the easy way. Which is not the road that put this show at the top and completely captured all our minds and hearts. So now Raj's character, as sweetly pathetic as he always was..his storylines have degenerated. 'Metrosexual'? Where did that come from? It does nothing for his character. In the first three seasons, at the height of this show's brilliance and originality, this character was not heading to this destination. I feel as though the writer's have succumbed to the challenge of this character and have given up on him. I watched him in tonight's episode, "The Transportor Malfunction", and I could feel for the character was pity. It wasn't sweet, it was just sad.

If this show has any future, if it has any hope of regaining the genius and brilliance it once had, when it caught lightening in a bottle, I'd say it best that the characters try to change as little as possible. We should not be looking for growth or character evolvement. It's COMEDY. We tuned into these characters for a reason. If they become something that they weren't in the beginning, what's the point in keeping watching? Didn't we love the characters the way they were then? Why try and change them? Why want to fix something that CLEARLY was never broken? The importance and spotlight needs to be focused again on the main five characters and their relationships/interactions.

My forecast? If I know anything about comedy at all, from my near 43 years watching sitcoms, the writers really know how it's all going to end. And they're saving the best for last. I don't believe they will really ever marry off Howard. For the reasons I stated above. And despite the revolving romantic relationships of our three main protaganists, in the end, I believe the writers will bring together Sheldon and Penny. There's is the pairing with the most interest and chemistry. But they're not going to commit sitcom suicide by bringing them together too soon. Sure, Jim Parsons and Kaley Cuoco can deny up and down in every interview in the eventuality of this, but..hey, it's their job to keep the future of the show mysterious. If we knew the characters would come together we'd be robbed of the excitement of it and therefore bored and uninspired to keep 'watching and wondering'. The creative team on this show has made a few mistakes here, but in the end, they're not stupid!

ok are people serious when they say that sheldon penny it's just riduculous. i think the selective mutism needed a way out but the alchohal they use it too much. the metrosexual was actual nice. the new girls add possibility but took away the quality. i agree with everything.

I'm new to the forum, as of today. And I've been spending the last hour reading through various discussion topics/threads. The thing I'm coming away with is this (in regards to the future of the show): why is it that alot of people on here seem to be arguing for the show/characters to 'evolve' somehow? This is comedy. Which means larger-than-life characters and situations. This is not drama, which goes for realism. The main charm/draw for this show from the beginning, at least in my opinion, is the chemistry and conflict between the original five characters, with Penny and her less-intelligent but-common sense/social finesse CONTRASTING with the high-intelligence/social awkwardness of her four 'boys'.

In one sense, I can understand the addition of the two recurring female characters in Bernadette and Amy in that they contribute new and different possibilities to benefit the core group. I believe these characters should only exist for this reason. They should, by no means, take over in any sort of way. Or even to assume the importance of the other five. I believe this would be a mistake, for it compromises the integrity of the foundation and vision of the original cast. In writing for characters, particularly in comedy, writers need to keep attention and adhere to the 'rules' for those characters. Anything less would be traitorous.

I can understand the likeability of these new characters. Bernadette is very likeable. I like her friendship with Penny. It's sweet, even. But I cannot deny, even though she gives Penny some female companionship, I can't help but feel that marrying Howard off to ANYONE is giving up on the beauty of his character. Howard is (was) a lech. A truly loveable one. His comic gold has always been found in the lengths he has gone in pursuit of the elusive female. Plus it gives the other guys and Penny plenty of opportunity for comic angst and disgust in response to him. I mean, who can forget the brilliance of "The Panty Pinata Polarization" and Howard's discovery of the existence of "America's Next Top Model" house!?! It was sheer beauty to witness Howard utilizing every weapon in his considerable arsenal of resources in pursuit of tracking down the exact location of this house. Even going to the extent of unabashedly enlisting the help of some friends in the Air Force. If Howard gets married Howard settles down and becomes..well, no longer "Howard". Which is just boring.

The addition of Amy Farrah Fowler.. In and of itself, this is a great character. And Mayim Bialik's performance is almost always spot-on hilarious. In addition, the actress herself possesses a PhD in neuroscience, so the natural intelligence that shines through her character is appropriate/beneficial to the show. But again, I believe this character should only exist for the utmost benefit of the interaction of the original cast. In some ways, I do enjoy her friendship with Sheldon. But they've become too close, and their relationship has in many ways taken him away from important interaction with the main cast, therefore compromising the integrity of that paradigm. Sheldon is a VERY important component in the interplay of the original five characters--they need his ever-presence to remain intact and strong. And brilliant, I might add! Also, and just as importantly, as another contributor here has pointed out, though the original five characters are equally important to the group, there is a higher sub-group in the trio of Sheldon, Leonard, and Penny. If I'm not mistaken, the chemistry and implied triangle these three characters represent are at the core of the main design of the show. It really can't be argued that a strong focus in the creation of this show was this implied dichotomy. It was laid out in the foundation of the pilot episode. Penny's character would be firmly planted between the two male roommates/best friends/physicists..each vying, at varying degrees, for importance in her life. Throughout the first three seasons of the show, this triangle played out beautifully. Particularly between the characters of Sheldon and Penny. The creators/writers have been wise to keep them at arm's length romantically for this long. During that time, Penny, truly, had been the only character who could even APPROACH the confidence and perseverence in the Sheldon character in maintaining control in the group. Penny stood up to Sheldon in a way that no other character seemed to have the stomach for. And interestingly enough, Sheldon allowed it. Seemed to thrive on the challenge, even. THIS alone has made up much of the most interesting character interplay on the show. Not to mention giving Jim Parsons/Sheldon many occasions to display the things we love most about his character: arrogance, conniving, 'death glares'/brilliant threats, etc. The Sheldon/Penny arguments and interactions have contributed to both character's sex appeal as well, which I find doesn't come out as strongly within interactions with any other pairings in their time on the series.

And what's happened to Raj's 'selective mutism'?? That was one of the best aspects of the show! In this, the writer's were able to show just one more facet of their creative genius. With Raj being mute for at least half of each episode, we were treated to so many instances of just what kind of magic tricks the twisted minds of the creators/writers of this show could pull from their collective bags! Writing for this 'obstacle' used to be a challenge, that I believe the writers would attack with gusto. Now, letting him speak whenever he wants..well, again, has sold out this character. They're taking the easy way. Which is not the road that put this show at the top and completely captured all our minds and hearts. So now Raj's character, as sweetly pathetic as he always was..his storylines have degenerated. 'Metrosexual'? Where did that come from? It does nothing for his character. In the first three seasons, at the height of this show's brilliance and originality, this character was not heading to this destination. I feel as though the writer's have succumbed to the challenge of this character and have given up on him. I watched him in tonight's episode, "The Transportor Malfunction", and I could feel for the character was pity. It wasn't sweet, it was just sad.

If this show has any future, if it has any hope of regaining the genius and brilliance it once had, when it caught lightening in a bottle, I'd say it best that the characters try to change as little as possible. We should not be looking for growth or character evolvement. It's COMEDY. We tuned into these characters for a reason. If they become something that they weren't in the beginning, what's the point in keeping watching? Didn't we love the characters the way they were then? Why try and change them? Why want to fix something that CLEARLY was never broken? The importance and spotlight needs to be focused again on the main five characters and their relationships/interactions.

My forecast? If I know anything about comedy at all, from my near 43 years watching sitcoms, the writers really know how it's all going to end. And they're saving the best for last. I don't believe they will really ever marry off Howard. For the reasons I stated above. And despite the revolving romantic relationships of our three main protaganists, in the end, I believe the writers will bring together Sheldon and Penny. There's is the pairing with the most interest and chemistry. But they're not going to commit sitcom suicide by bringing them together too soon. Sure, Jim Parsons and Kaley Cuoco can deny up and down in every interview in the eventuality of this, but..hey, it's their job to keep the future of the show mysterious. If we knew the characters would come together we'd be robbed of the excitement of it and therefore bored and uninspired to keep 'watching and wondering'. The creative team on this show has made a few mistakes here, but in the end, they're not stupid!

I agree with a lot of what you said. TBBT is following the path of countless sitcoms before it. The writers get bored with the characters and try to make them "evolve". In doing that they risk destroying the chemistry that made the show so good.

Sheldon, Leonard and Penny are like Spock, Kirk and McCoy on Star Trek. Sheldon/Spock is mainly logical, Penny/McCoy is mainly emotional and Leonard/Kirk is a blend of the two. The other characters were just the supporting cast for the big three. Nothing should be allowed to change the fundamental dynamics or chemistry of the big three.

Bernadette mainly affects Howard, a supporting character, so it doesn't endanger the show.

But Amy is another story. Her creepy obsession with Penny and her desire for a romantic relationship with Sheldon threatens to fundamentally change the chemistry and interactions of the big three.

I think the writers love Mayim Bialik so they've allowed her character to become too intrusive. Having Sheldon and Amy "hook up" would destroy the show for me. She should be a twice-a-year character at most. Unfortunately I don't think the writers agree.

I don't know what show you people are watching. having read the posts here, it's kind of hard to tell if you are all being too analytical and trying to read into things that the writers didn't really think of in the first place.

Regarding the future of this show, okay, so what if I am a Shamy shipper and that I know that they'll be endgame depending on Mayim's choice of staying in the show? Is Shenny even happening?

Not to be bashing but since when did it actually happen on the show? All I know of its existence is because people (shenny people) are subconsciously shipping Jim and Kaley in their heads and it's seeping through their shipping preference. Also, they'd tell me off it's the chemistry between the two actors and their characters. But it's not just chemistry that is needed for a couple to be possible. One should think of the characters and the possibility of even getting them to be in a romantic relationship in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the most vocal non-canon ship in this fandom? Non-canon being it never happened and that they writers never gave it a go because they KNOW for a fact what would happen if they actually hooked up. So, yeah, they will bring Penny and Sheldon together...

.. in a death match to see who would get the last dumpling.

The fact that this show started with the three-- Penny, Sheldon, and Leonard and that the story revolved around how Leonard fell for that cute blonde from Nebraska is enough to tell that the writers definitely had something in their mind: that the rest will be about how Leonard will hit off with Penny and how Sheldon will go on with his life, living as Leonard's roommate and best friend. The rest (the other four) were just added to add flavor and depth to it.

Funny how we think we know what the writers have been planning all along even if we don't.

I'll definitely jump off the cliff though if ever Penny suddenly woke up, realizing that she loves Sheldon and that Sheldon was actually attracted to Penny ever since-- just like in 99% of all the Paradox fan fiction that's been clogging up ffnet and the rest of the internet, a fantasy fulfillment for all the fans that were wishing for these two to finally hook up by the end of the series. Come on, has Sheldon ever hoarded 25 freaking cats when Penny was mad at him? Did Penny ever cornered Sheldon to kiss him mad? I've had enough bullcrap about how Penny was "the best option" for Sheldon. That, I'm sure is, will never going to happen on the show. The rest, even if they break up Shamy or that Howard and Bernadette will not get married (which I doubt will happen, given what Mayim said last week on E!online about some wedding getting pushed through) or if Raj ends up being a bisexual and have a menage-a-trois with Howard and Bernadette, is true to Lorre, Prady and company's series.

Whoa. So this is what they said about this forum. Total freedom. And this is sooo dangerous, considering the number of people who will reply and say they disagree. So... (goes off back to that forum full of rainbow-puking unicorns and are filled with middle-aged women who spazz and giggle at every cutsie BBT things and are much more sensible to talk to rather than those who only come here to talk about what they hate in the show, mainly Amy and Bernadette and how they ruined the fabulous five dynamic)

I don't think the wedding will go a head & if it does, I can't see their marriage working out. It would be interesting to see what will happen when Howard is married. I think it might spice the show up a bit more. Maybe might even get to meet howard's mother. I liked it when it was just the 5. I can't stand amy. She is annoying she might as well be gay on the show, with how she is with penny.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I don't know what show you people are watching. having read the posts here, it's kind of hard to tell if you are all being too analytical and trying to read into things that the writers didn't really think of in the first place.

Regarding the future of this show, okay, so what if I am a Shamy shipper and that I know that they'll be endgame depending on Mayim's choice of staying in the show? Is Shenny even happening?

Not to be bashing but since when did it actually happen on the show? All I know of its existence is because people (shenny people) are subconsciously shipping Jim and Kaley in their heads and it's seeping through their shipping preference. Also, they'd tell me off it's the chemistry between the two actors and their characters. But it's not just chemistry that is needed for a couple to be possible. One should think of the characters and the possibility of even getting them to be in a romantic relationship in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the most vocal non-canon ship in this fandom? Non-canon being it never happened and that they writers never gave it a go because they KNOW for a fact what would happen if they actually hooked up. So, yeah, they will bring Penny and Sheldon together...

.. in a death match to see who would get the last dumpling.

The fact that this show started with the three-- Penny, Sheldon, and Leonard and that the story revolved around how Leonard fell for that cute blonde from Nebraska is enough to tell that the writers definitely had something in their mind: that the rest will be about how Leonard will hit off with Penny and how Sheldon will go on with his life, living as Leonard's roommate and best friend. The rest (the other four) were just added to add flavor and depth to it.

Funny how we think we know what the writers have been planning all along even if we don't.

I'll definitely jump off the cliff though if ever Penny suddenly woke up, realizing that she loves Sheldon and that Sheldon was actually attracted to Penny ever since-- just like in 99% of all the Paradox fan fiction that's been clogging up ffnet and the rest of the internet, a fantasy fulfillment for all the fans that were wishing for these two to finally hook up by the end of the series. Come on, has Sheldon ever hoarded 25 freaking cats when Penny was mad at him? Did Penny ever cornered Sheldon to kiss him mad? I've had enough bullcrap about how Penny was "the best option" for Sheldon. That, I'm sure is, will never going to happen on the show. The rest, even if they break up Shamy or that Howard and Bernadette will not get married (which I doubt will happen, given what Mayim said last week on E!online about some wedding getting pushed through) or if Raj ends up being a bisexual and have a menage-a-trois with Howard and Bernadette, is true to Lorre, Prady and company's series.

Whoa. So this is what they said about this forum. Total freedom. And this is sooo dangerous, considering the number of people who will reply and say they disagree. So... (goes off back to that forum full of rainbow-puking unicorns and are filled with middle-aged women who spazz and giggle at every cutsie BBT things and are much more sensible to talk to rather than those who only come here to talk about what they hate in the show, mainly Amy and Bernadette and how they ruined the fabulous five dynamic)

I couldn't have said it better. :D Completely agree and I couldn't give a rat's ass if someone is offended :D

I don't see anything wrong with the characters going in different directions. I think it totally just makes an improvement on it. Sometimes I feel like the whole point of a character having a flaw (an ex of that is Raj's mutism), is not only to crack a joke in a line but it can carry a whole storyline with it, where they evolve. There's the whole process of a them trying to acknowledge this flaw and then another goal is to fix this flaw. Sheldon's character has the best opportunity to transform his character. He is awkward and funny, I mean you throw him in a few scenario that is out of his comfort zone and it can turn into one of the best episodes. It's a tv show about people, it's kinda what you just expect. Just because it's comedy that has growth doesn't mean it necessarily makes bad tv. I know I don't watch too many different sitcoms but some that are pretty decent has a good amount of changing. Maybe, it has to do more about the fact that it's bbt because it's different from other shows. May be some people want it, others don't. A show that doesn't change is like a show that doesn't have any fresh ideas, and it will seem stuck.

I can understand the likeability of these new characters. Bernadette is very likeable. I like her friendship with Penny. It's sweet' date=' even. But I cannot deny, even though she gives Penny some female companionship, I can't help but feel that marrying Howard off to ANYONE is giving up on the beauty of his character. Howard is (was) a lech. A truly loveable one. His comic gold has always been found in the lengths he has gone in pursuit of the elusive female.[/quote']

I think his lechery is just a subset of what makes him great. To me, it's his contrast. He has the confidence and self esteem of an NFL/male-model superstar when he really shouldn't. That is always funny. The short small wimpy guy acting like a bully. The big strong ox-like man acting like a wuss. Characters with contrasting traits are always funny. Which is why it is funny when Penny spouts off nerd stuff, or when Sheldon can display normal behavior like going dancing.

Agreeing with jeanalice and Sursonica here (obviously).

The only thing I want to add is that I know about penne, having been in Italy. :)

Is that where you flew off too early April? I love Tuscany.

I've hijacked the thread, so back on subject, I doubt the original 5 will be alone again permanently. They may do a show or two though.

Agreeing with jeanalice and Sursonica here (obviously).

The only thing I want to add is that I know about penne, having been in Italy. :)

Is that where you flew off too early April? I love Tuscany.

I've hijacked the thread, so back on subject, I doubt the original 5 will be alone again permanently. They may do a show or two though.

No, I was in Italy for 2 years on a postdoc (2009 - 2011). Early April consisted of a work-related tour of my own country.. sorry for getting OT.

I'm pretty sure the original 5 are never going to be left alone again. And I wouldn't wish that on them.

Yes, he looks good, he just needs new shirts and a shorter haircut.

Season 6 will be post-Harvey, so he might be shorter haired and thinner from then on.

It's quite possible. Though I have to say I'm happy both ways. But I'm easy audience, regarding Jim. :)