Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.16 The Vacation Solution (Feb. 9)

How do you rate this episode?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

'The Vacation Solution' - Season 5, Episode 16

When Sheldon's boss forces him to use his mandatory vacation time, he decides to work at Amy's lab and discovers he may be bad at biology. Meanwhile, Howard and Bernadette deal with the issue of a pre-nuptial agreement.

Episode Guide | Wiki

This will be quite interesting. The last time Sheldon had a "mandatory vacation" was when he was fired back in season one. It will be amusing to see him handle his extra free time. Of course he will spend it annoying others.

Seems like a fun one!

I really need to start catching up on episodes, have missed the last 4 I think.

Too busy with RL :icon_wink:

Looks good. It will be nice to see Biology trumping Physics for once (I'm prepared to give them one). :)

good episode starting to reevaluate opinion of amy. sheldon has some funny quips nothing "top 10 material"

Very good episode. Lots of laughs and good science/nerd references. I think this was the first episode we ever saw Sheldon laugh like that. Season 5 is still looking strong in my opinion.

Nobody passes out as hilariously as Sheldon, and he got to do it twice in this episode. It was also very funny to see him playing 'lab-goon' to Amy, cleaning the beakers and miscounting the slides and actually stretching Amy's patience. The more she's on the show, the more I like their interaction. I've seen an interview with the two of them, and it's pretty obvious that Jim Parsons is delighted to have Mayim as his 'partner'. So am I, frankly.

One thing I did find a little disturbing was the Howard/Bernardette sub-plot, especially the final scene. I wonder how the pre-nup is going to affect their relationship, especially her description of her father, which was played for laughs, but still pretty uncomfortable to me, at least.

I didn't like the episode for the same reasons I didn't like past episodes this year. Sheldon came across as rather simple minded, imo. The only intelligence he showed in the episode was when he was doing the Mad libs and that's only because he was talking about physics. The disguise he had was I'm sorry to say, stupid. I was so disappointed at that bit, plus isn't Sheldon supposed to find Biology 'icky'? He was going at that brain with the scalpel WITHOUT gloves and he actually wanted to do it? Well I'll buy that he's stubborn enough to go for it to prove he was competent but lacking gloves was really lazy on the writers/producer's part.

*Sigh* Another Amy-in-love-with-Penny reference, this time about a unicorn? I literally rolled my eyes when she made that comment to Penny. It's lame and it's boring. If that particular scene with Amy wasn't there I wouldn't have minded her so much in this episode. I think they should just not have scenes with Amy and Penny and it would improve the show a little since the writers don't seem to know what to do with the women. Or, here's a thought, get some female writers or if they have some, then get MORE. Why is it I always dread the scenes with all three ladies together? I don't mind them as much when they're separate... It almost seems to me it's like the writers are all men and they're just clueless as to how women interact when men aren't in the room. I don't know if that's actually the case but that's how it comes across to me.

There were however, some things I thought were good: Sheldon actually saying he's sorry (even though it was a weak apology, it was SOMETHING, which he doesn't normally do), Sheldon actually laughing (not the forced laugh he does sometimes), and yes, I liked Leonard singing. Yeah he's not a 'singer' but it was amusing. Anyone notice he same Black Eyed Peas? In a past episode Penny said she introduced the music to him... I liked it because we got to see Leonard having fun (alone) which is surprisingly rare and because it also shows he does learn a little from Penny. I liked how Penny told Howard she and all the other women on the planet had a meeting and he had to just accept the Pre-nup.

I was sad though that Amy was in the episode WAY more than Penny once again. I really don't know what's happening to the show. :(

Not a great episode but there have been worse. And yes, once more, I was getting annoyed at the stupid (and LOUD) laugh track. The bloody thing was louder in parts, than the actors speaking. I hate that and it detracts so much from the show...

For general, I don't like the episodes where Amy appears. She is an actress that triggers off slowness in the argument, a burden. Therefore, the episode of yesterday is a proof of her onerous condition.

Season 5 seems to have steered into a good place; the last few episodes were each better than the last and this was my favourite of this season.

nice one Chuck and co

Matt

How was Leonard singing the black eyed peas but in the past he didn't know them until penny told him who they were, and can someone explain the unicorn joke Amy made to penny.

I didn't like the episode for the same reasons I didn't like past episodes this year. Sheldon came across as rather simple minded, imo. The only intelligence he showed in the episode was when he was doing the Mad libs and that's only because he was talking about physics. The disguise he had was I'm sorry to say, stupid. I was so disappointed at that bit, plus isn't Sheldon supposed to find Biology 'icky'? He was going at that brain with the scalpel WITHOUT gloves and he actually wanted to do it? Well I'll buy that he's stubborn enough to go for it to prove he was competent but lacking gloves was really lazy on the writers/producer's part.

*Sigh* Another Amy-in-love-with-Penny reference, this time about a unicorn? I literally rolled my eyes when she made that comment to Penny. It's lame and it's boring. If that particular scene with Amy wasn't there I wouldn't have minded her so much in this episode. I think they should just not have scenes with Amy and Penny and it would improve the show a little since the writers don't seem to know what to do with the women. Or, here's a thought, get some female writers or if they have some, then get MORE. Why is it I always dread the scenes with all three ladies together? I don't mind them as much when they're separate... It almost seems to me it's like the writers are all men and they're just clueless as to how women interact when men aren't in the room. I don't know if that's actually the case but that's how it comes across to me.

There were however, some things I thought were good: Sheldon actually saying he's sorry (even though it was a weak apology, it was SOMETHING, which he doesn't normally do), Sheldon actually laughing (not the forced laugh he does sometimes), and yes, I liked Leonard singing. Yeah he's not a 'singer' but it was amusing. Anyone notice he same Black Eyed Peas? In a past episode Penny said she introduced the music to him... I liked it because we got to see Leonard having fun (alone) which is surprisingly rare and because it also shows he does learn a little from Penny. I liked how Penny told Howard she and all the other women on the planet had a meeting and he had to just accept the Pre-nup.

I was sad though that Amy was in the episode WAY more than Penny once again. I really don't know what's happening to the show. :(

Not a great episode but there have been worse. And yes, once more, I was getting annoyed at the stupid (and LOUD) laugh track. The bloody thing was louder in parts, than the actors speaking. I hate that and it detracts so much from the show...

It does seem the female scenes are laming but they are at least short, but I agree with you it seems there isn't any female writers on the show but you would think the men writers have female friends so might have some Idea of how to write them, I don't know if Amy is actually in love with Amy or she's amy's first friend much less someone as beautiful like penny who in high school was probably a cheerleader and homecoming/prom queen but if she's actually in live with penny it would probably be only a matter of time before Amy comes onto her, I don't get the joke you're referring to of the unicorn joke where Amy is in love with penny because of the joke, I don't get that Leonard was all of a sudden singing to the black eyed peas when he didn't even know who they were until penny mentioned it.

@cbolt: I think the Black Eyed Peas reference was intentional based on that previous scene with Penny.

The unicorn reference: Penny's unicorn trumps Bernadette's two oxen and a goose. Hence, Penny is more valuable than Bernadette given that the unicorn is the Chuck Norris of trading animals.

This episode was a big m'eh ep for me.

Don't know what the writers were thinking making Sheldon laugh like he did in that opening scene. Just didn't do it for me.

Really enjoying the semi-serious side of Howard atm. Simon Helberg does an excellent job playing the straight guy. Nice.

That opening scene put me off the whole episode, unfortunately.

Some hidden giggles throughout, but nothing special.

@cbolt: I think the Black Eyed Peas reference was intentional based on that previous scene with Penny.

The unicorn reference: Penny's unicorn trumps Bernadette's two oxen and a goose. Hence, Penny is more valuable than Bernadette given that the unicorn is the Chuck Norris of trading animals.

This episode was a big m'eh ep for me.

Don't know what the writers were thinking making Sheldon laugh like he did in that opening scene. Just didn't do it for me.

Really enjoying the semi-serious side of Howard atm. Simon Helberg does an excellent job playing the straight guy. Nice.

That opening scene put me off the whole episode, unfortunately.

Some hidden giggles throughout, but nothing special.

I figured the black eyed peas was intentional, but he didn't even know who they were before until penny told him who they were and for him not only to be listening to them but singing along just don't see it.

I get the unicorn joke know penny's more special than Bernadette in amy's eyes, thanks netmouse.

It was a little stretch on the sheldon's laugh it was good to see him have an actual life unlike the breath laugh, but to have him laugh like that, just a question but could Sheldon really just work in amy's lab like that at her job aside from safety reasons just a thought.

And the part where penny said if she's a famous actress she'd make Leonard sign a prenup, Leonard said he wouldn't with the chance she'd sleep with Ryan gosselin, of course why wouldn't she want to sleep with Ryan even if she would be married to Leonard, of course if she was to become a famous actress he'd be more out of her league than he already is, Leonard would be pluto and penny would be planet earth.

A very weird episode... Sheldon felt off to me again: the weird laughing in the opening, his disguise (that's the second time he's done that, come on Shelly you're smarter than this) and especially in Amy's lab. The endless whining fell flat and why would germaphobe Sheldon touch that brain without gloves? I also don't understand why he fainted when he saw the blood: he didn't faint when he was bleeding in The Precious Fragmentation nor when he saw Leonard bleeding in the white asparagus thingy.

And Bernadette/Howard thing, meh, I've never liked the way they portray their relationship. I mean, they're getting married right now but we always see the same storylines: there's a problem, they each discuss it with their friends and they kinda make it up afterwards but the problem never gets solved. That's some cheap-ass drama if you ask me.

Anyway, the positive things about this episode: Leonard singing in the car, there actually was some science (yay!) and I like how the Lenny 2.0 is going (and I'm not a Lenny-fan).

Personally, I thought this was a better episode than the last. The guys had more lines, which is always good. I absolutely loved Leonard's singing. Penny was on top form, her suggestion that breaking bad news after sex was 'what sex is for' made me chuckle, and her speech to Howard was hilarious.

I liked the way Amy handled Sheldon as well. His coy return to her lab later was a nice scene. Sheldon is happy, which is seriously weird! It's freaking me out a bit, but it's interesting.

I don't think Howard should sign a prenup, I hope this gets dropped. Not sure I can see this wedding going ahead. Howard's mother and Bernadette's father in the same room?! Brrrr. They should have a hen/stag party episode though. Could be fun if it crossed over somehow.

Last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory beat American Idol in key demographics and finished a strong second overall in its time slot. The Big Bang Theory matched its Thursday highs in the adults 18-49 and 18-34 demographics.

"The Vacation Solution" was watched by 16.06 million people, down from last week's the record audience of 16.54m, and scored a 9.7/16 rating in households. The Big Bang Theory finished second behind American Idol in total viewers and households. The Big Bang Theory was the night's most-watched and highest-rated scripted program.

In the important adults 18-49 demographic, The Big Bang Theory scored a 5.5/16 rating, unchanged from last week. The show also scored a dominant 7.0/18 rating among adults 25-54 and a 4.1/14 in the 18-34 demo. The Big Bang Theory finished first in all key demographics for the common half-hour.

http://the-big-bang-theory.com/story/1669/Episode-516-Ratings/

Leonard's eyebrows during The Black Eyed Peas song were very creepy... almost stupid :D lolz

I think that was what Penny wrote in her beta test list.

Another ho-hum episode. This is sad. TBBT is the only network series I'm watching now & it seems my time here is limited. Our Sheldon, I would guess, has suffered because he is now an amalgam of every writer who has written for him. I definetely don't buy other peoples theories that the show is better or worse with or without Amy or when the core cast is primarily involved. THE SHOW IS BETTER WHEN IT'S WELL WRITTEN. Here's hoping the show finds its 3rd wind (the addition of Amy & Bernadette was the 2nd wind, before the 1st wind had even gone out of it).

Another ho-hum episode. This is sad. TBBT is the only network series I'm watching now & it seems my time here is limited. Our Sheldon, I would guess, has suffered because he is now an amalgam of every writer who has written for him. I definetely don't buy other peoples theories that the show is better or worse with or without Amy or when the core cast is primarily involved. THE SHOW IS BETTER WHEN IT'S WELL WRITTEN. Here's hoping the show finds its 3rd wind (the addition of Amy & Bernadette was the 2nd wind, before the 1st wind had even gone out of it).

I too would like it to return to the days of old. However, the ratings have never been higher and in TV you don't screw with that. They will continue to write the show as they are presently, one episode at a time, concentrating on relationships, and with little or no regard to continuity.