The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.17 The Rothman Disintergration (Feb. 16)

How do you rate the episode?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the episode?

The Amy and Penny portion of the episode actually detracted from the enjoyment I received from the rest of the episode. Amy is getting more and more creepy with her stalking of Penny. What's next, Amy get's jealous of Leonard spending time with Penny and he has actually "defiled" her so she decides to kill him? There's a laugh a minute. Sorry but I don't find any individual being stalked by another humorous. I am seriously considering recording the show just so that when I watch it I can fast forward through any scenes where Amy is hitting on Penny.

Penny is a very sweet character.

No, Penny is a very insecure character, thats why she acts sweet.

Why else sleep with every guy she meets?

Why else get drink/get drunk constantly?

"I wasn't slugger anymore!"

"What if I do something stupid and break up with you again?"

Etc.

She may be insecure but she has no malice in her.

Etc.

Howard's nose might beg to disagree. ;)

You notice when sweetness stops working she resorts to lying, I.E. Telling Amy that Bernadette is jealous of the painting.

I seem to remember Penny kicking a guy in the crotch for stealing Sheldon's stuff and refusing to give it back. Penny may be "sweet" but she isn't some kind of a pushover. I think that in reality if Amy kept pushing Penny, Penny would hit a point where she would very bluntly tell Amy to knock it off or take a hike. Unfortunately with a person like Amy being blunt is what it might take.

As for Penny being insecure, I think that although that was true in the beginning, it has become much less so as time goes by. How many people have they shown Penny sleeping with this season? She has also seemed to have gotten her drinking under control.

I liked this episode. They have finally nailed the friendship/attraction thing Amy has for Penny. The lesbian reference at the end made me laugh, and this is the first time I've found it in the least bit funny. Amy is such a nerd and I like the fact Penny is trying really hard to be friends with her. She has a similar relationship with Sheldon, where she ignores his continuous insults and does her best to relate to him. Penny is a very sweet character.

The sports scene was a little meh. Sheldon's shorts was the funniest thing about it. I liked the naked old guy, not much of the guys though.

There's no way you can compare penny's relationship with Amy to Sheldon if anything it's a tamer version of hers with Howard before Bernadette

Horizonrusted if you look at most sitcoms the female dates at least more than one character on the show, did anyone really think penny will/would just date Leonard you're fools and are kidding yourself, I just hope they don't put Amy and penny in bed.

If you are suggesting that Penny is going to date one of the other guys, I'd say you're barking up the wrong tree here.

The incident with Raj at the end of season four is the closest thing this show is ever going to do in regards to putting Penny with any of the main guys save Leonard. Not only did the audience not like it but even the actors themselves weren't crazy about what they did.

You don't know that or what the writers will do the only reason no one like it is because they woke up in bed together.

Etc.

No the reason she's sweet is because she's a sweet person it has nothing to do with insecruity

The Amy/Penny stuff has completely gone into creepy territory. The show runners have the nerve to try and tell us that Amy only admires Penny. We get super creepy comments like the the last one Amy gives to Penny in this episode.

I though the funniest part was Leonard's "Hold on" after Howard tries to shoot down the notion of the duel.

The Sheldon/Kripke stuff was smile worthy but not laugh out loud worthy. There was no element of surprise during the contest. You knew they were both going to perform horridly on the court. Comedy is about the element of surprise, it's about shattering expectations.

Did Leonard forget that Sheldon can shoot so close to a racoon that he craps itself?

I liked this episode. They have finally nailed the friendship/attraction thing Amy has for Penny. The lesbian reference at the end made me laugh, and this is the first time I've found it in the least bit funny. Amy is such a nerd and I like the fact Penny is trying really hard to be friends with her. She has a similar relationship with Sheldon, where she ignores his continuous insults and does her best to relate to him. Penny is a very sweet character.

The sports scene was a little meh. Sheldon's shorts was the funniest thing about it. I liked the naked old guy, not much of the guys though.

The lesbian joke was the least bit funny yet you laughed, is this like the joke is so bad you laugh?

The Amy and Penny portion of the episode actually detracted from the enjoyment I received from the rest of the episode. Amy is getting more and more creepy with her stalking of Penny. What's next, Amy get's jealous of Leonard spending time with Penny and he has actually "defiled" her so she decides to kill him? There's a laugh a minute. Sorry but I don't find any individual being stalked by another humorous. I am seriously considering recording the show just so that when I watch it I can fast forward through any scenes where Amy is hitting on Penny.

I don't know if she'd kill Leonard but if this is the direction they have Amy go it's going to end up like in the movies she wants to spend every minute with her threatens Leonard and at the end breaks into her apartment when she's not there and then tells penny how much she loves her and when penny says she just wants to be her friend and threatens ti kill herself if she can't have penny before the cops come and take her to the mental instiution.

I believe that Penny has grown more secure and stronger. I think her biggest problem was with Leonard and Raj's sister getting together. I think that she had come to the conclusion that she had made a terrible mistake breaking up with Leonard, that she did have strong feelings for him. I also think that a good indication of her growing security is that she is taking it slow with Leonard this time around, something that she wasn't particularly known for when dating men. Now if she would only toughen up and tell Amy to knock it off.

Etc.

You notice when sweetness stops working she resorts to lying, I.E. Telling Amy that Bernadette is jealous of the painting.

That's because he tried to kiss her.

Sometimes it really seems that people posting here forget this is all fiction. Fantasy. Not real. These are characters that do not exist in real life.

That being said, I didn't have a problem with the episode. The idea that Sheldon would presume to claim the office fits in perfectly with his personality. That Kripke would do the same is also predictable. All of the episode relating to their conflict was well done and funny. I did find Kripke's athletic ineptitude to be a little unbelievable for a character that invited Sheldon to go swimming and rock wall climbing. Not being good at basketball I can believe. His clumsiness? Not so much.

The painting was hilarious. The expressions and the size of the picture made it funny. Penny's reactions were perfect for someone receiving an awful gift and not wanting to hurt the giver's feelings. The lines they gave Bernadette were also funny.

Amy's ineptitude in handling her friendship with Penny is perfectly understandable. There is nothing in the character's past to indicate that she has ever had a friend at all. Much less a close one. This is akin to Leonard Googling sexual techniques. Somewhere she has gotten strange ideas of how female friends are supposed to act.

Original Amy was a female Sheldon. She had no interest in any sort of sexual relationship. She has morphed (been written) into a character that wants a different life than Sheldon. This is not hard to believe. When exposed to new opportunities she has decided to be open to them. Sheldon is content in who he is and would (and has) reject many opportunities to do new and different things.

I too would love to see the end of the lesbian come-ons from Amy. But they are not inconceivable form a character point of view. She is not straight, bi, or lesbian. She is clueless. If given the opportunity, she would probably sleep with Sheldon or Penny. Not because of orientation, but due to a desire to experience physical intimacy with someone. Something she has never known.

I find much more disturbing to see what the writers are doing to Penny. Seldom do we see the Penny that moved to LA to become an actor. She is frequently portrayed as rudderless and without ambition. And it was refreshing to get through an episode without seeing her getting drunk. The Penny that Leonard loves is a memory. The Penny that is seen now is someone that would be difficult to love.

But, all in all, not a bad episode. Not the best ever, nor the worst. Looking forward to next week.

I seem to remember Penny kicking a guy in the crotch for stealing Sheldon's stuff and refusing to give it back. Penny may be "sweet" but she isn't some kind of a pushover. I think that in reality if Amy kept pushing Penny, Penny would hit a point where she would very bluntly tell Amy to knock it off or take a hike. Unfortunately with a person like Amy being blunt is what it might take.

As for Penny being insecure, I think that although that was true in the beginning, it has become much less so as time goes by. How many people have they shown Penny sleeping with this season? She has also seemed to have gotten her drinking under control.

Well i hope penny and Amy don't windup in bed together but with the direction they seem to be going it's a possibility, I think it would be a mistake if it did happen though not only would it ruin penny it would also do the same for the show thus jumping the shark, I could see a seranio where Amy comes onto penny maybe she tries to kiss penny who then leans away and asks what she's doing and Amy tells her how much she's in love with her and how nice penny is to her and then penny tells Amy she only sees her as a friend, is only into men and the reason she's nice to her is she's her friend and that's what friends do they're nice to each other for no other reason.

As for penny when was the last time she dated someone? Zack and that was early season 4, I would think she would be dating from time to time at least maybe not showing every guy she would date but maybe have her leaving her apartment dressed for date, someone as beautiful as penny not date for over a year.

I believe that Penny has grown more secure and stronger. I think her biggest problem was with Leonard and Raj's sister getting together. I think that she had come to the conclusion that she had made a terrible mistake breaking up with Leonard, that she did have strong feelings for him. I also think that a good indication of her growing security is that she is taking it slow with Leonard this time around, something that she wasn't particularly known for when dating men. Now if she would only toughen up and tell Amy to knock it off.

The only reason they broke up is because Leonard got to serious and then let her just walk away, and of course he told her he loved her after she quoted yodda I'm not sure why he's surprised they watch it enough for it to stick.

Well i hope penny and Amy don't windup in bed together but with the direction they seem to be going it's a possibility, I think it would be a mistake if it did happen though not only would it ruin penny it would also do the same for the show thus jumping the shark, I could see a seranio where Amy comes onto penny maybe she tries to kiss penny who then leans away and asks what she's doing and Amy tells her how much she's in love with her and how nice penny is to her and then penny tells Amy she only sees her as a friend, is only into men and the reason she's nice to her is she's her friend and that's what friends do they're nice to each other for no other reason.

As for penny when was the last time she dated someone? Zack and that was early season 4, I would think she would be dating from time to time at least maybe not showing every guy she would date but maybe have her leaving her apartment dressed for date, someone as beautiful as penny not date for over a year.

The only reason they broke up is because Leonard got to serious and then let her just walk away, and of course he told her he loved her after she quoted yodda I'm not sure why he's surprised they watch it enough for it to stick.

I'm not sure Leonard had any choice but to let her walk away. She was hostile to his attempts to talk with her about the problem. She wouldn't tell him why she reacted the way she did. She wanted her space and he gave it to her.

It is good to see them working at having a relationship. Maybe they will be able to make it work this time. Leonard is a stronger character and should be less insecure and clingy. Not sure what kind of character Penny is right now...

Etc.

True :icon_cheesygrin:

and she didn't want to hurt Amy's feelings. Amy is tres sensitive. Sometimes it's better to tell a white lie.

Sometimes it really seems that people posting here forget this is all fiction. Fantasy. Not real. These are characters that do not exist in real life.

That being said, I didn't have a problem with the episode. The idea that Sheldon would presume to claim the office fits in perfectly with his personality. That Kripke would do the same is also predictable. All of the episode relating to their conflict was well done and funny. I did find Kripke's athletic ineptitude to be a little unbelievable for a character that invited Sheldon to go swimming and rock wall climbing. Not being good at basketball I can believe. His clumsiness? Not so much.

The painting was hilarious. The expressions and the size of the picture made it funny. Penny's reactions were perfect for someone receiving an awful gift and not wanting to hurt the giver's feelings. The lines they gave Bernadette were also funny.

Amy's ineptitude in handling her friendship with Penny is perfectly understandable. There is nothing in the character's past to indicate that she has ever had a friend at all. Much less a close one. This is akin to Leonard Googling sexual techniques. Somewhere she has gotten strange ideas of how female friends are supposed to act.

Original Amy was a female Sheldon. She had no interest in any sort of sexual relationship. She has morphed (been written) into a character that wants a different life than Sheldon. This is not hard to believe. When exposed to new opportunities she has decided to be open to them. Sheldon is content in who he is and would (and has) reject many opportunities to do new and different things.

I too would love to see the end of the lesbian come-ons from Amy. But they are not inconceivable form a character point of view. She is not straight, bi, or lesbian. She is clueless. If given the opportunity, she would probably sleep with Sheldon or Penny. Not because of orientation, but due to a desire to experience physical intimacy with someone. Something she has never known.

I find much more disturbing to see what the writers are doing to Penny. Seldom do we see the Penny that moved to LA to become an actor. She is frequently portrayed as rudderless and without ambition. And it was refreshing to get through an episode without seeing her getting drunk. The Penny that Leonard loves is a memory. The Penny that is seen now is someone that would be difficult to love.

But, all in all, not a bad episode. Not the best ever, nor the worst. Looking forward to next week.

I agree with at some points, I find it hard to believe that as smart as Amy would google or look up wikipedia how to be a friend and know where would see find complement their body, looks and ask if they would like to shower together or scrub her down, nore would it say appropriate gifts include a painting that orginally is a nude painting of them lets face the fact she's sexually attracted to penny and penny feels uncomfortable so penny needs to say something. Maybe she can borrow sheldon's friendship thing he has.

As for Amy wanting intimacy except neither penny nor Sheldon have showed they want that with her and the difference between her and Sheldon is he views relationships as a distraction I believe if he gets with someone that shows him that's no true he might want one, were as Amy is a little like early Leonard when someone act nice to him he thought they're interested in him.

I agree about some points to penny does she still want to be an actress is it still a dream, it's hardly mentioned if it's not she coukd do others, she hasn't seen been drunk for a while and penny has always and still is a sweet person I'm not sure where you get the penny that Leonard saw across the hall is a memory she's not mean or malice or any kind, but what do you expect when it concerns penny when the main female lead more than halfway through season 5 doesn't even have a last name.

and she didn't want to hurt Amy's feelings.

Well then, the way I see it, Amy is halfway to pity sex.

She hasn't been drunk for a while

She was drinking in this episode

I'm not sure Leonard had any choice but to let her walk away. She was hostile to his attempts to talk with her about the problem. She wouldn't tell him why she reacted the way she did. She wanted her space and he gave it to her.

It is good to see them working at having a relationship. Maybe they will be able to make it work this time. Leonard is a stronger character and should be less insecure and clingy. Not sure what kind of character Penny is right now...

No it was resolved in the laundry room but when the went back out bowling he kept making comments and acting like a child stemming from his mommy issues.

No it was resolved in the laundry room but when the went back out bowling he kept making comments and acting like a child stemming from his mommy issues.

True. I had forgotten about the laundry room discussion. Also, let us not forget the evil machinations of Will Wheaton. :icon_twisted:

Etc.

True :icon_cheesygrin:

and she didn't want to hurt Amy's feelings. Amy is tres sensitive. Sometimes it's better to tell a white lie.

True Amy is sensitive see the girls going shopping without her, she'd really be sensitive if penny told her the truth that the panting is creepy and that she doesn't appreciate the lesbian comments and they make her feel uncomfortable, but penny at some point is going to have to say something.

She's more secure, Leonard will always be insecure but he's at least not clingy, no girl wants a clingy guy.

and she didn't want to hurt Amy's feelings.

Well then, the way I see it, Amy is halfway to pity sex.

She hasn't been drunk for a while

She was drinking in this episode

God I hope not that would ruin the show and penny's charcter if they slept together.

Was penny drunk? No, she can have a glass of wine without getting drunk which is what she did.

Ok... who called the lesbian comment being part of this episode?? Well done.

I enjoyed this one. Very funny.

I know some will criticise the writers for the stereotypical portrayal of Sheldon and Barry playing basketball, but you gotta admit, it was piss-funny :D

Great solid episode. Loved it.

• Like 1

True. I had forgotten about the laundry room discussion. Also, let us not forget the evil machinations of Will Wheaton. :icon_twisted:

Well Leonard failed, penny was waiting for him to man up and be a man instead he turned into the little boy who never got his mommy's affection.

A guy with mommy issues run for the hills ladies.

I know some will criticise the writers for the stereotypical portrayal of Sheldon and Barry playing basketball, but you gotta admit, it was piss-funny :D

Well considering just about every episodethus far this season has Amy making a lesbo comment is a no brainer, it's like saying the sky will be blue today.

I cringe when when there's a penny/Amy scence because here comes the lesbian joke and here comes Amy coming on to penny thus making her feel uncomfortable, I don't know what they have in mind or are doing with amy's character but it'd be nice without her making lesbian comments to penny and coming onto her, I know wishful thinking.

I liked this episode as well, although we seem to be in the minority at this point. The Harry Potter stick :icon_cheesygrin: and the lesbian comment made me laugh this time round. Mayim is playing Amy a lot better now. Kudos.

The Sheldon/Kripke storyline was fine, but, Worst. Amy. Ever. WTF are the writers trying to do with her? She's become a creepy stalker. If I was Penny I'd be terrified of her. Bernadette was horrified by the painting and begged Penny not to involve her. I just don't where the writers are going with Amy but they're rapidly making the character scary and unlikable.

The Sheldon/Kripke storyline was fine, but, Worst. Amy. Ever. WTF are the writers trying to do with her? She's become a creepy stalker. If I was Penny I'd be terrified of her. Bernadette was horrified by the painting and begged Penny not to involve her. I just don't where the writers are going with Amy but they're rapidly making the character scary and unlikable.

I agree there's one thing to make lewd comments to penny, but it's another thing that with the painting, it makes me wonder if this will be an on going thing with Amy to the point she becomes obessed with penny and penny becomes afraid of her and threatens those around her that she's penny's until she's taken to a mental hospital after Amy tells her she only wanted to be her friend.

Last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory beat American Idol in key demographics for the fifth consecutive week and was the night's highest-rated and most-watched scripted program.

"The Rothman Disintegration" was watched by 15.52 million people, down by almost 700,000 viewers from last week's episode. In the adults 18-49 demographic, the demo networks and advertisers focus on, the show scored a 5.0/15 rating, down by 10% on last week's season high of 5.6/16.

The Big Bang Theory finished second in total viewers and households in its time slot. When compared to American Idol in the common half-hour (8:00-8:30), The Big Bang Theory finished first with adults 18-49.

http://the-big-bang-theory.com/story/1671/Episode-517-Ratings/

Oh god, I'm SO tired of that girl crush thing. I can't wait for the day Penny puts her foot down with Gorilla-fingers Fowler.

The guy's storyline was fun, had some good laughs. Too bad it ended with Sheldon going bat-crap crazy again, but oh well. I'll just pretend I never saw the Amy/Penny scenes and rate it an okay episode.