The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.18 The Werewolf Transformation (Feb. 23)

How do you rate the episode?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the episode?

Thank you. I appreciate it.

This is why I have a soft spot for Sheldon. Guys like him are clueless about the real world, and can be so easily hurt.

This is why on the show Penny is so protective of her "brilliant mind" friends. Remember how she stood up for them when a new neighbor started to take advantage, or when she protected Raj from his scheming gold-digger girlfriend? Like Penny said, these guys are special, and have no shields. It's true.

That's so sad, was there not a college nearby for him?

I don't know if what Sheldon is a curse but he's looked at differently since he's so smart, before Amy came along I actually worried if the guys got girls he would be all alone.

But yeah Penny is very protective of them which is another trait I like about her.

That's so sad, was there not a college nearby for him?

He won than grant not just in a different university, it was in a different country. He already got his two PhDs from his home university, this grant was a huge win for him, a recognition of his potential as a breakthrough scientist.

It's not that different from Leonard's experience at the shooting range...

"I play Grand Theft Auto, and know about guns"... followed by the AD.

Which episode was that? Which season?

With Sheldon having that eidetic memory and reading all those books, he'd have to be totally confused with just about everything.

Having no common sense at all, and no social experiences, reading politics, economics, religion... all of which have 1000s of viewpoints all rigorously defended in print, how can an naive person such as he finger out the reality from the wishful thinking?

Totally confused and unprepared for real life is a good way to put it. Such people are brilliant, and can deeply understand scientific theoretical concepts, but because their social experience is basically non-existent, they indeed have no common sense at all and no idea what makes other people tick or what to expect from others.

They are like small children - sweet, selfish, trusting, clueless.

Well playing video games with guns is a little different than handling them I believe the grand theft auto is the beta test episode, Sheldon's mind is like a giant wikipedia.

It's not that different from Leonard's experience at the shooting range...

"I play Grand Theft Auto, and know about guns"... followed by the AD.

Which episode was that? Which season?

I couldn't tell you. It comes around lot in the repeats.

He shoots himself in the little toe on one foot.

Happens a lot when there's no one around to sit Poindexter down and explain the rules of the game :)... like all firearms are always loaded unless personally cleared... the muzzle -always- points down range, and the finger is on the trigger only when you intend to shoot at a identified target.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

It was on The Beta Test Initiation

That's sad. I know a guy who died hiking a Peak in Yosemite. In the couple of hours it took his hiking partner to bring back help, he had passed. He had just read Jack Kerouac's "Dharma Bums" and was attempting to follow in his footsteps by climbing the same peak. I guess I should blame Jack Kerouac? I know I'm captioning the obvious, but that sort of thing can happen to regular people too. Kerouac wrote that "you can't fall off a mountain." Not sure what he meant by that, but you sure can fall down one.

I have a theory that we only get so many little bits of smart, and the more freakish the number of bits of it we have in one area, the greater the dearth in others. It is not uncommon among freakish geniuses to be completely incapable of taking care of themselves.

Big-Bang-Theory-Shooting-Range-1.jpg

“I play a lot of Grand Theft Auto. I think I know how to handle a gat.†-Leonard

I think the shooting range scene from S05E14 was probably shot on Stage 25 also, but I feel pretty certain that the Burbank Firing Line is the shooting range they're supposed to be at. I've shot there before and it looks exactly like that inside. I think they have taken out a S&W5904 which fires a 9mm round. Believe me, for anyone who knows anything about firing guns, it's not as big a .45 caliber, but still, putting a bullet that size into your shoe would produce a shockwave that would cause a LOT of bruising in your foot.

Oh yes, I almost forgot to discuss the Werewolf Transformation! Boy am I upset. Just to set the record straight, the average person's hair grows at a rate closer to 4.8 yoctometers per femtosecond, rather than 4.6. And it's just plain wrong not to express it in lowest terms of 4.8 nanometers per second. They need to fire their math consultant. What's this world coming to? I guess they'll hire any old hill folk to work in television these days. :D

It was very sad, what happened.

He was a bona fide genius, a child prodigy. Very kind and innocent, really like a child, too trusting, easily excited and totally unaware of possible dangers of the real world or the possible meanness of people. I used to say to my mom, trying to explain to her the way he was, that his social/emotional mind was not even at the 10 year old level, more like at the five years old... because even the 10 year olds had more sense. Manipulating him was like taking a candy from a baby. He was so clueless and so eager to be friends... *sigh*

He even looked like Sheldon - very tall, lanky, with a dorky haircut - but not at all handsome, just thin and dorky.

Unlike Sheldon, he craved human interaction and he readily fell for girls, *grin*, but he was like a lovable clueless baby puppy, not really dating material. You wouldn't date a child, would you?

Anyway, he won a very prestigious grant and joined a new university for his research, brilliant prospects. He left his home city, his mom, and his friends such as they were, behind. He was without his usual support network of people who cared and completely alone in that new place.

He was so excited! He loved it, and he was so happy about his research and this wonderful new opportunity. And then two months later he was dead. Somehow he decided it was a good idea to go mountain climbing, alone (supposedly). He had no experience. He fell. He died.

To this day I wonder, if someone at that new university was responsible, if someone took him climbing or at least got him excited about trying it out, if maybe they were jealous, if perhaps that accident was not quite so accidental. You woudn't take a small clueless child (who never saw a mountain in his life) mountain climbing, would you? Someone put that idea into his head. I bet they did. "Accident", my ass.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I had a young friend die as well. He wasn't that much like Sheldon though. He wasn't naive at all but he was a complete genius. He could recite anything from memory, poetry, dates and random facts. But he never made anyone feel stupid, he was so interesting. We'd sit all night talking.

He was in a high achievers class and was being very disruptive, so the teacher tried to have him removed. They made him take an IQ test and it came out over 200. Which is pretty astonishing. Needless to say, he stayed in the class, he was just bored. But he's no longer with us. You never forget these people, thats all I can say.

I have a theory that we only get so many little bits of smart, and the more freakish the number of bits of it we have in one area, the greater the dearth in others. It is not uncommon among freakish geniuses to be completely incapable of taking care of themselves.

Oh, yes...

Although it's not so much that geniuses are truely lacking capability in other areas... it's just those other areas are completely underdeveloped, because from very early age they concentrate on developing one particular area to the detriment of everything else. So the end result is a very lopsided person - shining genius in some things, total clutz in others.

It's a similar problem with jocks. Some of them are so into achieving the physical perfection, they completely ignore their brain. Even when the raw intelligence is there, there's just no opportunity to develop it.

You never forget these people, thats all I can say.

You sure can't. Sorry for your loss.

That's sad. I know a guy who died hiking a Peak in Yosemite. In the couple of hours it took his hiking partner to bring back help, he had passed. He had just read Jack Kerouac's "Dharma Bums" and was attempting to follow in his footsteps by climbing the same peak. I guess I should blame Jack Kerouac? I know I'm captioning the obvious, but that sort of thing can happen to regular people too. Kerouac wrote that "you can't fall off a mountain." Not sure what he meant by that, but you sure can fall down one.

I think the shooting range scene from S05E14 was probably shot on Stage 25 also, but I feel pretty certain that the Burbank Firing Line is the shooting range they're supposed to be at. I've shot there before and it looks exactly like that inside. I think they have taken out a S&W5904 which fires a 9mm round. Believe me, for anyone who knows anything about firing guns, it's not as big a .45 caliber, but still, putting a bullet that size into your shoe would produce a shockwave that would cause a LOT of bruising in your foot.

Oh yes, I almost forgot to discuss the Werewolf Transformation! Boy am I upset. Just to set the record straight, the average person's hair grows at a rate closer to 4.8 yoctometers per femtosecond, rather than 4.6. And it's just plain wrong not to express it in lowest terms of 4.8 nanometers per second. They need to fire their math consultant. What's this world coming to? I guess they'll hire any old hill folk to work in television these days. :D

I'm not sure what he meant by you can't fall of a mountain? I'm pretty sure you call fall of anything or gravity says so.

No Leonard you don't no how to handle one your character in GTA does and that's why you shot yourself in the foot and everyone saw coming a mile away

I hope not to many people think like Leonard about the GTA comment.

One of my acquaintances "cleaning" his Glock 9mm put a bullet in the top of the knee, and out the bottom of the foot.

These stories are exactly why I like Sheldon so much. I too am sorry for the losses that have been suffered. I know what it is like to have someone close to you pass. I lost my dad in 2005, my mom in 2006, and my brother in 2007. If I didn't have my husband, I would be completely alone.

This may sound weird, but I have this protective feeling about Sheldon even though this is just a show. I believe that is why I don't care for Amy much. I am waiting to see if I can trust her. She has to prove herself more to me. I don't want to see him alone, but I'm just patiently waiting it out to see if she's right for him. Okay, if the straitjackets must come, they must. :icon_eek:

These stories are exactly why I like Sheldon so much. I too am sorry for the losses that have been suffered. I know what it is like to have someone close to you pass. I lost my dad in 2005, my mom in 2006, and my brother in 2007. If I didn't have my husband, I would be completely alone.

This may sound weird, but I have this protective feeling about Sheldon even though this is just a show. I believe that is why I don't care for Amy much. I am waiting to see if I can trust her. She has to prove herself more to me. I don't want to see him alone, but I'm just patiently waiting it out to see if she's right for him. Okay, if the straitjackets must come, they must. :icon_eek:

It's so nice to hear from someone who understands. I feel the same way, very protective of Sheldon. :icon_biggrin:

I think the shooting scene from S05E14 was probably shot on Stage 25 also, but I feel pretty certain that the Burbank Firing Line is the shooting range they're supposed to be at. I've shot there before and it looks exactly like that inside. I think they have taken out a S&W5904 which fires a 9mm round. Believe me, for anyone who knows anything about firing guns, it's not as big a .45 caliber, but still, putting a bullet that size into your shoe would produce a shockwave that would cause a LOT of bruising in your foot.

One of my acquaintances "cleaning" his Glock 9mm put a bullet in the top of the knee, and out the bottom of the foot.

It was probably target ammunition which has a much lower velocity then personal defense ammo but would still easily go through a foot. 2 of the first rules when cleaning a firearm is first always treat a weapon as though it was loaded (watch where you point it) and 2nd clear the weapon prior to cleaning it (remove magazine and visually inspect the chamber to make sure it is empty).

Totally confused and unprepared for real life is a good way to put it. Such people are brilliant, and can deeply understand scientific theoretical concepts, but because their social experience is basically non-existent, they indeed have no common sense at all and no idea what makes other people tick or what to expect from others.

They are like small children - sweet, selfish, trusting, clueless.

BigBang, that was a very sad experience. :( Thanks for sharing it with us. 'Sweet, selfish, trusting, clueless' is a good way of describing all these guys, and especially Sheldon.

I agree about Sheldon I always thought if the gang got married even if they don't move away I feel they wouldn't spend as much time and even though he says he likes to be alone and doesn't need to be around people unless he changes a little I feel like he'd be all alone.

As for Amy it seems like she just wants to ride Sheldon and give her pleasure right now so until I see that she really cares for him I will still be uncertain about her

As for Amy it seems like she just wants to ride Sheldon and give her pleasure right now

Hahahahaha, I'm sure that's true of half the people on this forum… :icon_cheesygrin:

As for Amy it seems like she just wants to ride Sheldon and give her pleasure right now

Hahahahaha, I'm sure that's true of half the people on this forum… :icon_cheesygrin:

LOL. :D

I am not sure how much Amy cares about Sheldon (or indeed, how much emotionally immature people like Amy and Sheldon are capable of consciously 'caring' for anyone at all), but I think it's true that Amy understands Sheldon and can identify with him at a level where he's rarely, if ever, been understood before. She may be the only girl (person?) in the world who can genuinely say she finds his Relationship Agreement 'romantic', or participate with him on 'Fun with flags' with equal enthusiasm, or immediately get it and meet him halfway when he apologizes to her with a set of Cooper Coupons.

I am not sure how much Amy cares about Sheldon (or indeed, how much emotionally immature people like Amy and Sheldon are capable of consciously 'caring' for anyone at all), but I think it's true that Amy understands Sheldon and can identify with him at a level where he's rarely, if ever, been understood before. She may be the only girl (person?) in the world who can genuinely say she finds his Relationship Agreement 'romantic', or participate with him on 'Fun with flags' with equal enthusiasm, or immediately get it and meet him halfway when he apologizes to her with a set of Cooper Coupons.

Not in the beginning. In the episode when she wanted him to meet her mother, she said 'don't be absurd' when Sheldon asked if she'd fallen hopelessly in love with him. Not sure she could say that now. She seems to be going soft. I'm looking forward to the season finale, this may give us an idea.

Not in the beginning. In the episode when she wanted him to meet her mother, she said 'don't be absurd' when Sheldon asked if she'd fallen hopelessly in love with him. Not sure she could say that now. She seems to be going soft. I'm looking forward to the season finale, this may give us an idea.

Yes, I think it's pretty clear she's falling for him bit by bit (especially evidenced by her recent comments to Penny regarding how handsome and brilliant he is). And he's not completely untouched either, given his jealousy when she gets male attention and his worrying about her when they couldn't be in touch. I'm just not sure what the 'falling in love' paradigm even entails, for two people as off-the-wall as these two!

Yes, I think it's pretty clear she's falling for him bit by bit (especially evidenced by her recent comments to Penny regarding how handsome and brilliant he is). And he's not completely untouched either, given his jealousy when she gets male attention and his worrying about her when they couldn't be in touch. I'm just not sure what the 'falling in love' paradigm even entails, for two people as off-the-wall as these two!

Yeah you're probably right, we'll may never know unless they check their serotonin levels :icon_cheesygrin:

Yeah you're probably right, we'll may never know unless they check their serotonin levels :icon_cheesygrin:

If there's anything we would love more than a refreshing beverage, it's them checking their Serotonin. xD

There's actually fan-fic out there, to that effect. Sheldon reaching an epiphany through studies of serotonin levels and brain scans. :D

Agreed. They are getting close. Even if the romantic relationship doesn't work out between them, they should remain very close friends.

Agreed. They are getting close. Even if the romantic relationship doesn't work out between them, they should remain very close friends.

While that's true, I can't imagine they would spend all this time building up a relationship between those two to have them be "just friends" (albeit really close ones) for the rest of the series. I hope they would have to move to the next stage at some point, and even Sheldon saying "I have feelings for her" is enough - they don't even have to get physical (and that's just a personal opinion, I would be fine with it).

I even find their relationship more solid than Leonard and Penny's. Sheldon and Amy both would never find someone like the other again. It's just too unlikely. Yeah, Penny and Leonard can be cute, and Howard and Bernadette are a great couple, but in a way, Sheldon and Amy are the closest you can get to soulmates, in that sense. At least to me.