The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.18 The Werewolf Transformation (Feb. 23)

How do you rate the episode?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the episode?

About the Penny Amy crush; as a gay girl who went to an all girl's secondary & high school, I can tell you girls get girl crushes; on the smartest, prettiest, most athletic, popular, 'top' girls. These crushes fade as the majority of girls discover boys. The remainder, the lesbians have their straight girl crushes in stormy silence, mooning over the unobtainable object of their affection & listening to a lot of sad, sappy songs. That's the reality; said girls then move on in college when they find tons of other lesbians to date.

Amy is emotionally in high school, having a massive girl crush on Penny. She can say all those sexual things to Penny as she knows it will never be reciprocated, just like she can ask Sheldon to go to a motel with her for torrid sex, knowing he'll never do it. It's a safe way to experiment with nascent sexual feelings.

@ annieogly it's a shame you were not around earlier in season 5 to offer your insight. We have some furious debates about Amy's sexuality. Good post.

About the Penny Amy crush; as a gay girl who went to an all girl's secondary & high school, I can tell you girls get girl crushes; on the smartest, prettiest, most athletic, popular, 'top' girls. These crushes fade as the majority of girls discover boys. The remainder, the lesbians have their straight girl crushes in stormy silence, mooning over the unobtainable object of their affection & listening to a lot of sad, sappy songs. That's the reality; said girls then move on in college when they find tons of other lesbians to date.

Amy is emotionally in high school, having a massive girl crush on Penny. She can say all those sexual things to Penny as she knows it will never be reciprocated, just like she can ask Sheldon to go to a motel with her for torrid sex, knowing he'll never do it. It's a safe way to experiment with nascent sexual feelings.

That's an interesting perspective, and very well put. I think it's completely true even about Sheldon, as you say, that Amy dares to make such overt comments to him only because she knows he's not going to follow through. I don't believe she's half as ready for a 'torrid sexual relationship' as she seems to suggest from her remarks.

That's an interesting perspective, and very well put. I think it's completely true even about Sheldon, as you say, that Amy dares to make such overt comments to him only because she knows he's not going to follow through. I don't believe she's half as ready for a 'torrid sexual relationship' as she seems to suggest from her remarks.

@Moonbase, Pomita; I really liked the show but only became keen this spring, DVR'ng all the reruns & came to these forums, so I'm glad to help out. This stuff is so obvious to me but for sure not to you guys. I just realized the other huge cliche: the LUG (lesbian until graduation) these are straight girls who 'experiment,' otherwise known at the 'drunken kiss.'

The perfect example of this is the girls' night out with Sheldon when Amy kisses Penny in front of Sheldon. Amy is drunk & does this to get Sheldon's attention when he won't kiss her. She then sings "I kissed a girl" in the taxicab & he says "who are you?" Mission accomplished. I can't tell you how many times this scenario is played out. There is nothing lesbian about this behavior; we avoid these attention-getters like the plague.

@Moonbase, Pomita; I really liked the show but only became keen this spring, DVR'ng all the reruns & came to these forums, so I'm glad to help out. This stuff is so obvious to me but for sure not to you guys. I just realized the other huge cliche: the LUG (lesbian until graduation) these are straight girls who 'experiment,' otherwise known at the 'drunken kiss.'

The perfect example of this is the girls' night out with Sheldon when Amy kisses Penny in front of Sheldon. Amy is drunk & does this to get Sheldon's attention when he won't kiss her. She then sings "I kissed a girl" in the taxicab & he says "who are you?" Mission accomplished. I can't tell you how many times this scenario is played out. There is nothing lesbian about this behavior; we avoid these attention-getters like the plague.

Again, that sounds plausible. In Amy's case, given her apparent level of social and emotional naivete, it's likely that she did her little attention-seeking act unconsciously, and not in a calculated way. But the outcome was definitely putting off Sheldon - and she clearly enjoyed his reaction.

I agree that Amy doing this is unconscious though she understands animal behavior; but the writers know that 2 girls kissing is a favourite male fantasy. Sheldon is disturbed, probably because he's not put off at all.....lol

I do wonder whether Amy has had many friends in her life because she has become very attached to Penny quite quickly and maybe thats why she is why she is, she doesnt know how to deal with friendship feelings properly

The context of the show makes it apparent that Amy has had few, if any, friends prior to Penny and Bernadette. That she has no concept of propriety or boundaries really should not be surprising.

The context of the show makes it apparent that Amy has had few, if any, friends prior to Penny and Bernadette. That she has no concept of propriety or boundaries really should not be surprising.

Yes, in fact she says so repeatedly. All she got earlier were people who either shunned or bullied her, or pretended to be friends just to make fun of her eventually. Not a great history to build on.

Also with that big picture she brought Penny, she tried to value the friendship on length and width of the picture then by the cost, maybe shes just a bit naieve and does not know boundaries

Sheldon on the bongos was terrific fun to watch though

"Wherever the music takes me kitten" not a line you would expect Sheldon to ever say!

Totally,Amy is an awkward 13 year old figuring out boundaries with her new social life. Remember when Penny said she might move back to Omaha and Amy replied she couldn't as:

" For the first time ever, I have a thriving social life. And no pressure, but it kind of lives and dies with you." That's the basis for Amy's Penny girlcrush. She's the most popular girl who has admitted Amy into the cool 'in' group & due to that Amy now has this fabulous new life with girlfriends and a real live boyfriend.

I loved Sheldon on the bongos too, it was a new side of him & totally believable.

I think Bernadette finds Amy wierd and creepy. I'd say she tolerates her purely because she comes in tow with Penny.

• Like 1

I think Bernadette finds Amy wierd and creepy. I'd say she tolerates her purely because she comes in tow with Penny.

I'd agree, and add that Howard doesn't like Sheldon either, that's why they only invite Leonard & Penny or Leonard & Priya to double date.

Yes we have seen instances where Howard shows his dislike for Sheldon, the arctic trip where he really didnt want to go and the episode where Sheldon was collecting an award and Howard didnt want to do anything to help. Maybe its because Sheldon always refers to him not having a phd but if you did not like somebody that much you wouldnt hang out with them, i know i wouldnt anyway!!

Maybe he has to tolerate him a little bit because he is friends with Leonard and you cant disrespect somebody in their own home (especially if the owner gives out strikes randomly!)

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I'd agree, and add that Howard doesn't like Sheldon either, that's why they only invite Leonard & Penny or Leonard & Priya to double date.

though in The Recombination HYpothesis, when they were in the "reality" part, Bernadette wanted to double date with Sheldon & Amy, and Amy didn't want to: "so insecure" :icon_lol:

though in The Recombination HYpothesis, when they were in the "reality" part, Bernadette wanted to double date with Sheldon & Amy, and Amy didn't want to: "so insecure" :icon_lol:

I was just about to point that out. :)

It does seem that Bernadette does not feel any personal connection with Amy, in general, just as Howard doesn't with Sheldon. Interestingly, Bernadette seems to have a somewhat sympathetic understanding of Sheldon, and a way with him (getting him to bed, getting him to touch the bird, defending his behavior to Howard as a 'wedgie in his brain').

Another favorite bit of that episode was when Howard said he ate a butterfly, the way he delivered the line and his facial expression when he said it was brilliant

• Like 1

My favorite episode, by far. I was not able eat or drink ANYTHING whilst I watched it.

Especially the bongo/stairs scene.

And when Sheldon visited his barber at the hospital.

And the closing scene.

And as Howard tells of his experiences camping.

10/10.

Another favorite bit of that episode was when Howard said he ate a butterfly, the way he delivered the line and his facial expression when he said it was brilliant

"I ate a butterfly..."

That is one of my favorite lines of all time--and the delivery was absolutely perfect! :icon_cheesygrin:

I loved this episode completely.

Sheldon was a hoot as he dealt with his "hippy" hair. I loved when he told Penny, "Wherever the music takes me, kitten", spoken like a true beatnik.

And I loved Leonard's bongo revenge on Sheldon, "Sheldon can't sleep while Leonard plays bongos!!!" :icon_lol:

I've read through many posts in this thread and I don't get the issues with Amy's comments to Penny.

I really don't see it as "lesbian" comments as much as it is, as someone pointed out, Amy's immaturity and inexperience with having a group of girlfriends. She's kind of stuck in that awkward preteen kind of place when it comes to bonding with Penny and Bernadette. She truly does think that Penny is beautiful and the fact that Penny has been kind to her has made her feel very strongly toward Penny.

I think that she just doesn't realize the boundaries because that's the kind of thing you learn while you're growing up, something that Amy never really learned due to her social and academic isolation.

But I don't think Penny would ever turn on her, even if she gets a little boggled by Amy's comments.

In the episode where the girls go dress shopping without her, they mention how she's always talking about bridesmaid traditions in other cultures and how they always seem to involve the girls getting naked and bathing each other or whatever. Again, I don't think that Amy wants to have sex with Penny or Bernadette, but she wants to participate in the wedding "rituals". She just happens to again know more about the theoreticals and nothing about the realities or about boundaries.

Penny ultimately likes Amy and wants to help her out with Sheldon, and just like she ultimately had compassion on poor skeevy Wolowitz after she told him off, she has compassion on Amy.

Howard was coming on to Penny on purpose, in his clueless Lounge Lizard way, but Amy is simply expressing, in her own weirdly inappropriate or exaggerated way, the love she has for Penny as her "bestie". I think that because she's never really had a best friend, and again, she only knows what it's supposed to be like from what she's read (like things like menstrual cycles syncing up, etc.), she wants or imagines that all these things are happening or are supposed to happen, now that they're friends.

She's over-eager simply because I think the joy of having some true friends is a little overwhelming to her.

At any rate, I think that Penny is the head of the girl's social group, the top point of the triangle, if you will, (and Leonard is the head of the guy's social group, even though Sheldon likes to think he's the point) and Bernadette and Amy each react to her or interact with her accordingly.

I think that Bernadette likes Amy, too, and I think she understands Amy's flaws the same way she understands Sheldon's flaws, and the way she also understands that Raj is a good catch, underneath his layers of nerdiness.

Amy's comments to Penny are simply the comic exaggerations of her naive, inexperienced emotions.

Right, so Sheldon's bongo playing will be in my head all day now. lol I love episodes where he takes up yet another weird hobby.

'I ate a butterfly.' So simple yet was so funny.

8/10

This show often gets into my head like that. If it isn't Sheldon's bongos, it's a rendition of Soft Kitty (which was stuck in my head for 3 days at one point!) :)

Sheldon sleeps on Amy's couch (refusing the offer of sharing her bed - the fool :icon_rolleyes: ), yet, in 2.21 (The Vegas Renormalization), he tells Penny he can't sleep on her couch, because it's way too short for him huh.gif 

Also, I love Amy's line "There’s only so many times a woman can say how about the bed?:biggrin: 

Edited by Stephen Hawking

nice call backs when penny has help sheldon out.

howard great line-"i ate a butterfly"., did bernie look upset

when howard mother talk from the bathroom.

• Like 1