Sheldon's Laughter

Convict13

It was definitely out of character, though funny. But I think it was intentionally so, and meant to be a hint that Sheldon may be internally in a 'falling in love' phase, which can make people feel light-hearted and behave excitedly in general. Being Sheldon, he of course doesn't realize it yet, and of course even his symptoms have to be - abnormal!

Remember that many people found his obsessive train-playing in Pulled Groin OOC, but actually it was a signal that he had been feeling jealous about Amy going out with Leonard, he was just trying to camouflage it (even from himself) by fixating on a hobby. This was confirmed when he tried the same device in Flaming Spittoon, going out of the way with his Wild West outfit when he was jealous of Amy with Stuart.

See, I liked Sheldon during those early episodes. I never saw his train-iac phase an issue.

Just that maniacal laughter... too forced for me. I was left with the impression that even Jim Parsons was struggling to pull that scene off convincingly.

See, I liked Sheldon during those early episodes. I never saw his train-iac phase an issue.

Just that maniacal laughter... too forced for me. I was left with the impression that even Jim Parsons was struggling to pull that scene off convincingly.

True, the laughing was very odd. I liked the episode though because it had more laughs then the previous two, in my humble opinion.

Also is it just me or did Sheldon not wearing gloves, to make that dissection, stick out like a sore thumb? Couple that with the out of character giggling and I suspect something is afoot! Even Howard commented on it. I'd be very surprised if the writers weren't aware that they just broke two 'Sheldon rules' in one episode. My thoughts are, Pomita may be on to something. In which case, God help us all. Sheldon is my face character and I won't stop watching the show but what have they got planned for him?

If I am wrong, and they really have got this careless with his character traits they deserve a kick in the pants.

It reminded me of Star Trek Next Genereation when they gave Data the emotion chip. It ruined the character. I think the writers are getting bored with the original Sheldon and are trying to humanize him. Please don't ruin him.

Also is it just me or did Sheldon not wearing gloves, to make that dissection, stick out like a sore thumb? Couple that with the out of character giggling and I suspect something is afoot! Even Howard commented on it. I'd be very surprised if the writers weren't aware that they just broke two 'Sheldon rules' in one episode. My thoughts are, Pomita may be on to something. In which case, God help us all. Sheldon is my face character and I won't stop watching the show but what have they got planned for him?

If I am wrong, and they really have got this careless with his character traits they deserve a kick in the pants.

The no-gloves was certainly OOC too! It had to be set up that way for him to cut his thumb, but I suspect that someone's going to ask at Comic Con.

Regarding the laugh, I don't think it's carelessness. They actually are trying to introduce a few successive changes in him. So far, I'm good with the pace at which these changes are occurring, since he still reverts to being Sheldon at the core (like his 'way to kill the mood' response to Amy, or his intellectual arrogance); I hope they can maintain that.

I was left with the impression that even Jim Parsons was struggling to pull that scene off convincingly.

Sadly, I had the same feeling, even being a fan. :( The apology scene, on the other hand, I felt he carried off perfectly.

The no-gloves was certainly OOC too! It had to be set up that way for him to cut his thumb, but I suspect that someone's going to ask at Comic Con.

Regarding the laugh, I don't think it's carelessness. They actually are trying to introduce a few successive changes in him. So far, I'm good with the pace at which these changes are occurring, since he still reverts to being Sheldon at the core (like his 'way to kill the mood' response to Amy, or his intellectual arrogance); I hope they can maintain that.

I was left with the impression that even Jim Parsons was struggling to pull that scene off convincingly.

Sadly, I had the same feeling, even being a fan. :( The apology scene, on the other hand, I felt he carried off perfectly.

I have another theory about the 'evolution' of Sheldon… perhaps too many questions have been raised about him being on the Asperger's spectrum. Jim was very uncomfortable about this question at Comic Con. They may have made a decision to alter the character to avoid this comparison.

The laughter was weird and a bit creepy haha. Sheldon was very OOC this episode. There's definitely some change going on, the writers could be getting lazy but both of those theories sound very plausible, Moonbase & Pomita. Anyway, I just rewatched some S2 episodes and I saw a whole different Sheldon. He's less wooden now and he's definitely dumbing down.

We're having at least four "sheldony" episodes in a row now and I hope they're not doing S3 over again. I mean, I love the Sheldon character, but I don't want him to turn into a caricature ... again.

The no-gloves thing was definitely a stretch. I don't know of any surgical procedure in a biology lab where it's acceptable to not wear gloves and Sheldon should've known (Amy was wearing them after all). This reminds me of the episode where Sheldon was in a hospital and accidentally found himself in an isolation room by stepping through a swivel door. -_- The scenario was set up in an extremely unrealistic way by the writers just to put Sheldon in that situation. Either way, I prefer they don't make those kind of stretches with reality, since any normal person would have common sense to use gloves, let alone a genius.

As for the laughing, it was weird at first, but relationships change people, so if Sheldon is developing, I wouldn't want it to stop. Before I had a boyfriend, people kept saying I needed to smile more and lighten up about pretty much anything. After I started my first relationship, everyone said I was smiling more and I was just overall happier. I could see that being an underlying cause for Sheldon to just break out in laughter. There are still traces of the familiar Sheldon too, so it's nothing for me to get upset about... yet.

As for the laughing, it was weird at first, but relationships change people, so if Sheldon is developing, I wouldn't want it to stop. Before I had a boyfriend, people kept saying I needed to smile more and lighten up about pretty much anything. After I started my first relationship, everyone said I was smiling more and I was just overall happier. I could see that being an underlying cause for Sheldon to just break out in laughter. There are still traces of the familiar Sheldon too, so it's nothing for me to get upset about... yet.

This was my feeling too. He's lightening up (in his own way) because of the pleasure and security he feels with Amy in his life. The very process of that may be liked or disliked by some, but it's legitimate character growth.

We're having at least four "sheldony" episodes in a row now and I hope they're not doing S3 over again. I mean, I love the Sheldon character, but I don't want him to turn into a caricature ... again.

I think there's less chance of that now, simply because there are more characters to juggle. Beta Test, for example, had Sheldon/Amy very much in the sidelines, and he didn't have much to do in the 100th episode either (it focused on Leonard/Penny).

I have another theory about the 'evolution' of Sheldon… perhaps too many questions have been raised about him being on the Asperger's spectrum. Jim was very uncomfortable about this question at Comic Con. They may have made a decision to alter the character to avoid this comparison.

That's a valid possibility. I've always felt that the writers never committed to his having Asperger's because they wanted to leave themselves leg-room to do as they wish with the character, making him grow and change if necessary, without being called out for not sticking to some specific traits.

(Also, of course, because it would invite censure if they made fun of a recognized condition).

The no-gloves thing was definitely a stretch. I don't know of any surgical procedure in a biology lab where it's acceptable to not wear gloves and Sheldon should've known (Amy was wearing them after all). This reminds me of the episode where Sheldon was in a hospital and accidentally found himself in an isolation room by stepping through a swivel door. -_- The scenario was set up in an extremely unrealistic way by the writers just to put Sheldon in that situation. Either way, I prefer they don't make those kind of stretches with reality, since any normal person would have common sense to use gloves, let alone a genius.

I would expect that Sheldon would carry gloves with him everywhere he goes, I do in my car just in case I have to use them one day.

Yeah have to agree with you here, perhaps Jim thought it was OOC too, he should know his character by now.

The laughter was definitely OOC, but I have to agree with Pomita. My immediate thoughts after viewing that scene was that it was a deliberate attempt by the writers to show that Sheldon is falling in love. Love makes people act light-hearted and giddy.

I actually first thought that the laugh was way ooc and ott but after watching a few more times I'm starting to see what many are saying "Sheldon is in love" and showing that more and more, little by little. He may take time to finally admit it but the viewing audience is seeing hints more and more. The tptb have great plans for him, I am sure.

True, the laughing was very odd. I liked the episode though because it had more laughs then the previous two, in my humble opinion.

Everyone must be getting tired of me mentioning this, but here goes. They write this show one episode at a time. They do not have a grand plan, nor do they have a plot in mind. They pay no attention to continuity at all. If they have an idea for something in an episode, they go with it, with no regard to how it will effect the characters or story line. Even if they were aware of breaking two, "Sheldon rules," it would not have mattered. They only concern themselves with the episode at hand. Here is a link to an interview with Steve Molaro that hints at this.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/big-bang-theory-boss-raj-pennys-hookup-karma-020100086.html

Everyone must be getting tired of me mentioning this, but here goes. They write this show one episode at a time. They do not have a grand plan, nor do they have a plot in mind. They pay no attention to continuity at all. If they have an idea for something in an episode, they go with it, with no regard to how it will effect the characters or story line. Even if they were aware of breaking two, "Sheldon rules," it would not have mattered. They only concern themselves with the episode at hand. Here is a link to an interview with Steve Molaro that hints at this.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/big-bang-theory-boss-raj-pennys-hookup-karma-020100086.html

I have no doubt that that was true in the past, but the show is formatted differently now. It is most obvious in Season 5, but it started in Season 4. Before, the only major storyline was the relationship between Leonard and Penny. Other than that, there was pretty much a different storyline for every episode, sort of like with Seinfeld. That is not the case anymore. Now they have moved from a "Seinfeld-like" format to a "Friends-like" format. These characters have undergone obvious development, and they all have storylines with "arcs" now. Especially Sheldon and Amy, and Howard and Bernadette.

As such, the show requires more planning from the writers than it did before. I would be very surprised if they do not have Howard and Bernadette's wedding, the events leading up to it, and any major developments for Sheldon/Amy, Leonard/Penny, and Howard/Bernadette already planned. They may not know exactly what they are going to write, but they MUST have a general plan.

I agree with @LadyJen. I don't know if they have definite ideas for specific future storylines - probably they don't - but the development of characters and relationships in the later seasons definitely seems planned. They're making Sheldon evolve gradually, for example, from his 'not getting' sarcasm at all to his getting it, using it, and more recently learning how to recognize jokes and even laugh (season 4 finale, Speckerman). This full-throated manic laugh could be thought of as another step in that progression, possibly brought on by latent 'falling in love' feelings.

Also they have kept throwing suggestive hints all along, regarding whatever's happening between Sheldon and Amy. Little hints of caring, subtle expressions of jealousy, things like that. This happens over several episodes, and has so far led to actual relationship growth, so it seems to be planned.

I agree with @LadyJen. I don't know if they have definite ideas for specific future storylines - probably they don't - but the development of characters and relationships in the later seasons definitely seems planned. They're making Sheldon evolve gradually, for example, from his 'not getting' sarcasm at all to his getting it, using it, and more recently learning how to recognize jokes and even laugh (season 4 finale, Speckerman). This full-throated manic laugh could be thought of as another step in that progression, possibly brought on by latent 'falling in love' feelings.

Also they have kept throwing suggestive hints all along, regarding whatever's happening between Sheldon and Amy. Little hints of caring, subtle expressions of jealousy, things like that. This happens over several episodes, and has so far led to actual relationship growth, so it seems to be planned.

Hey I know. Maybe Chuck Lorre could put Amy in Sheldon's bed with Raj. That ought to get Sheldon's attention. Let's see, how can we get the entire cast into the apartment early in the morning, so they can discover the dastardly deed. Oh, and lets not forget, we have to get Sheldon out of the apartment for the night and back home for the morning. Hmmmm with this many people involved we will need 2 sharks to jump.

• 1 month later...