The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.19 The Weekend Vortex (March 8)

How do you rate this episode?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

Re: Character changes due to relationships from a few pages back...

These changes are what MAKES the show imo. Even as far back as Season 1, when Leonard was going for it with Penny, Sheldon introduced/cited Schrödingers Cat to both of them... Leonard just went for it with a big kiss, to which Penny replied "The cat's alive, lets go to dinner!" before their first date are the moments I enjoy the most. And inspired a username.

Pilot and most of "first season" Leonard would have NEVER tried that. His growth allowed him to first consider it and then pull it off. Another great example is Sheldon hugging Penny at Christmas after the gift of Leonard Nimoy's autographed napkin. Penny's line of "Look Leonard! Sheldon's HUGGING ME!?!?!?" made the scene imo.

Oooh, thank you so much for this informative post! That would be awesome, to score a ticket! :icon_cheesygrin:

Since the show takes four hours to tape, does it mean the audience gets to be there for four hours?

Yep! You have to check-in before 5:30, and you wait around until they walk you to the studio. You sit down around 5:30-5:45, and at about 6:00 they show you the next episode that's going to be on the air. Since it's about 22 minutes, it ends at 6:20, they go over what to do if there's an emergency, whatever, and at 6:30 they introduce the cast and start right away.

Because they do almost every scene twice (in case anything happens to the data/ tapes) and people mess up, they want to rearrange and change things, you're there from about 6:30 to 10:30pm.

That's very cool! Thanks for the info!

Oooh, that would be so much fun, to experience the taping!

I never thought I'd see the day no Amy lesbian comment to penny. I liked the episode I like that Sheldon has girlfriend but not if it is to the point at the beginning where she almost makes him go until she realized how he is going to act, Sheldon Cooper is not a pushover, don't mind if she doesn't feel like he's taking it serious or doesn't like the way he's behaving but not if they're going to make him whipped. I agree with raj even if he gets a girlfriend it'll be after Sheldon got one. Loved the whip sound effect, Howard is whipped by two of his women in his life. If Amy's aunt is 93 how old is her parents. I'm glad that Stuart was just in the store and wasn't coming in between them.

Howard: Sheldon you're a grown man tell Amy you want to play video games and have a sleep over with your friends.

How does someone like Leonard not know what papi means, also I didn't know you could or need to break in mini ponies since Leonard is not a mustang.

I really liked this episode. I feel it showed a lot of growth in sheldon and amy's relationship, and I loved the scene with penny and amy acting like friends, without the weird lesbian crap. It was so, so much better. Happy with this one!

I have also heard some complaints of a lack of chemistry between Penny and Leonard in past episodes but in this one I found it very believable that they boy and girl friend. I also liked Sheldon's new laugh when he made that whip cracking sound.

NICE! Thanks for the info Kyzzx. I'm literally in Pasadena, so I so totally want to head over to Burbank for this, but it seemed like the seats are so limited and are in such high demand that I might not be able to ever get them. With this info, I figure I've got a shot of actually getting one or two! Sweet!

Great Work Raj, get rid of the chicks so you fellas can get your geek on, like in the old days.

Someone really needs to check Sheldon's science and grammar. You do not catch a cold by running around outside with a wet body and Sheldon would absolutely know that. Furthermore, when Sheldon is telling someone about something that is written down, i.e. what written on Amy's bracelet (different episode), he should say "Her bracelet reads 'Allergic to Penicillin,'" and not say "Her bracelet says 'Allergic to Penicillin.'" :icon_mad:

Hooray for Raj and despite the writers mucking up Sheldon's grammar, it is one of my favorite episodes.

I really liked this episode. I feel it showed a lot of growth in sheldon and amy's relationship, and I loved the scene with penny and amy acting like friends, without the weird lesbian crap. It was so, so much better. Happy with this one!

Amazing what a episode can be without the lesbian comments.

I have also heard some complaints of a lack of chemistry between Penny and Leonard in past episodes but in this one I found it very believable that they boy and girl friend. I also liked Sheldon's new laugh when he made that whip cracking sound.

I also liked the laugh. It was a little different from the one he used to do, but still funny.

Yep! You have to check-in before 5:30, and you wait around until they walk you to the studio. You sit down around 5:30-5:45, and at about 6:00 they show you the next episode that's going to be on the air. Since it's about 22 minutes, it ends at 6:20, they go over what to do if there's an emergency, whatever, and at 6:30 they introduce the cast and start right away.

Because they do almost every scene twice (in case anything happens to the data/ tapes) and people mess up, they want to rearrange and change things, you're there from about 6:30 to 10:30pm.

I hope there's a bathroom break?

Way to go Raj! I think this was my favourite Raj episode.

"Its on like Alderaan!" instant classic. lol

This episode was great. I didn't even mind Amy. Now that I have let my 'Amy vendetta' go, I'm enjoying the show more.

I almost expected Howard's mother to come through the door.

Amazing what a episode can be without the lesbian comments.

OMG! I just realized that! No wonder she didnt annoy me at all this episode.

Th episode wasn't bad. It had some good moments. I didn't mind the Leonard/Penny scenes and I liked the scene at the comic book store. I really liked Raj in this episode too. I think there should have been more time with just the guys though, like Raj argued, there needs to be more of that. We didn't even really see any time where it was just them hanging out.

I don't mind Bernadette but I really hope the show doesn't make her into another Mrs. Wolowitz. I didn't like that they made her scream like Howard's mother in past seasons so I'm glad she didn't do this here. With that said, I feel like they're trying to cram too much into the 20 minutes the show has.

And though I'm glad Amy didn't do any lesbian comments, it was like she chose Penny over Sheldon. One minute she was upset he didn't go with her to the party, the next she just folds when he gives her the coupon - the same way she folded when he gave her a tiara. The writers are making it seem like she can be bought, which doesn't fit with her character in my opinion. Also, she was perfectly okay leaving Sheldon to hang out with Penny at the first mention that Amy could hold back Penny's hair. Yeah...glad there was no lesbian comment but it was like the writers were saying Amy likes Penny more than Sheldon anyways. Not a lot better.

One thing I was baffled that was NEVER brought up in the episode - why didn't the guys just plan to do the get together some other weekend? At the least it might have given some funny arguments from Sheldon or the guys because we all know Sheldon wants something when he wants it. I would have rather preferred some fun debates rather than the over-use of the whip sound effect.

Not a bad episode but not great.

This wasn't a bad episode. It had some laughs.

Raj's delivery at the end was great.

And though I'm glad Amy didn't do any lesbian comments, it was like she chose Penny over Sheldon. One minute she was upset he didn't go with her to the party, the next she just folds when he gives her the coupon - the same way she folded when he gave her a tiara. The writers are making it seem like she can be bought, which doesn't fit with her character in my opinion. Also, she was perfectly okay leaving Sheldon to hang out with Penny at the first mention that Amy could hold back Penny's hair. Yeah...glad there was no lesbian comment but it was like the writers were saying Amy likes Penny more than Sheldon anyways. Not a lot better.

Actually it does fit with her character because we've been repeatedly told that growing up she didn't have friends and that she always wanted friends and she never had a boyfriend and had to go as far as making up fictional ones to get people off her back. Amy is very insecure emotionally. Now that she believes that she has genuine friends and a boyfriend for the first time in her life she's incredibly fragile and can and will be easily bent if she thinks she could possibly lose these relationships. She only left with Penny because of Raj's outburst, which you'll notice that Bernadette leaves afterword as well.

Speaking of, I'm taking Amy's side here. She followed protocol per the relationship agreement...written by Sheldon and yet he initially tries to get off having to follow through his end of the bargain, when that doesn't work he attempts to bribe Penny into manipulating Amy who he knows is very easily influenced by Penny. Then when it seems that he's finally following through on his end of the things like he SHOULD BE ANYWAY, we come to find out that he is following through in the most half-hearted way possible. Amy didn't bring Sheldon along so he could play computer games while ignoring Amy's family members. I think we can go ahead of toss away this ridiculous notion that Sheldon is some perfect paragon of high moral virtue.

When Sheldon asked what to get a 93 year old woman Steward should have said "A 93 year old man?"

I think that joke would've been loss on him.

Th episode wasn't bad. It had some good moments. I didn't mind the Leonard/Penny scenes and I liked the scene at the comic book store. I really liked Raj in this episode too. I think there should have been more time with just the guys though, like Raj argued, there needs to be more of that. We didn't even really see any time where it was just them hanging out.

I don't mind Bernadette but I really hope the show doesn't make her into another Mrs. Wolowitz. I didn't like that they made her scream like Howard's mother in past seasons so I'm glad she didn't do this here. With that said, I feel like they're trying to cram too much into the 20 minutes the show has.

One thing I was baffled that was NEVER brought up in the episode - why didn't the guys just plan to do the get together some other weekend? At the least it might have given some funny arguments from Sheldon or the guys because we all know Sheldon wants something when he wants it. I would have rather preferred some fun debates rather than the over-use of the whip sound effect.

Not a bad episode but not great.

Yes they could've changed since he gets his way but they had already planned it and let's not act like he wanted to go.

This wasn't a bad episode. It had some laughs.

Raj's delivery at the end was great.

Actually it does fit with her character because we've been repeatedly told that growing up she didn't have friends and that she always wanted friends and she never had a boyfriend and had to go as far as making up fictional ones to get people off her back. Amy is very insecure emotionally. Now that she believes that she has genuine friends and a boyfriend for the first time in her life she's incredibly fragile and can and will be easily bent if she thinks she could possibly lose these relationships. She only left with Penny because of Raj's outburst, which you'll notice that Bernadette leaves afterword as well.

Speaking of, I'm taking Amy's side here. She followed protocol per the relationship agreement...written by Sheldon and yet he initially tries to get off having to follow through his end of the bargain, when that doesn't work he attempts to bribe Penny into manipulating Amy who he knows is very easily influenced by Penny. Then when it seems that he's finally following through on his end of the things like he SHOULD BE ANYWAY, we come to find out that he is following through in the most half-hearted way possible. Amy didn't bring Sheldon along so he could play computer games while ignoring Amy's family members. I think we can go ahead of toss away this ridiculous notion that Sheldon is some perfect paragon of high moral virtue.

It does show Amy is easily bought and especially on sheldon's front all he has to do is mess up and then by her something and it'll be okay.

No one said Sheldon is perfect on the moral front just that's he's the most moralist of all of them and this doesn't dispute that, yes it is a little rude to decide that he was just going to play video games there but who wants to hang out with a bunch of 93 year olds at a nursing home? Plus she kind of forced him into attending(yes I know the relationship agreement) when he didn't want to and since this is knew for him he didn't know what the protocol is. It doesn't change anything about Sheldon being the moralist of all of them nore does what he was doing something inmoral.

I thought the Leonard and penny scene was okay until the mustang comment he's more likely the mini ponies you see where the little kids ride at, I'm for him having confidence but he doesn't need to sound like howard either he's over confident(for what ever reason) or has zero confidence.

I thought amy and Sheldon was alright I don't like he can just buy her off even if this is new to him.

Loved the guys just hanging out like old times, Bernadette playing was so funny. Mrs. Wolowitz oh my I thought she was going to break the door down.

Again another forced, OTT performance from Jim Parsons during that opening scene. Lost me for a bit, but had a laugh or three once the episode got going.

Was keen to see which video game Sheldon would be ditching Amy for. Surprised to see SWTOR getting a mention. I was expecting another WoW episode. Also nice to see CoX get a mention.

Best Amy episode ever imo. Great acting from Mayim. Nice to see a softer, human side of her character. Interesting that Penny initiated the lesbian comment this week.

Raj's little outburst at the end was totally unexpected. Interesting though.

To anyone that saw the taping of this ep... was the coin toss into the glass scene computer generated? I'm guessing it was given Amy's accuracy. Just curious as to how it was filmed.

Some great Sheldon lines and a fairly good storyline. Just a shame it was a little over-acted in parts.

@cbolt: Penny to Amy at the end of the episode.. "You can hold my hair back whilst I throw up" and then Amy's expression. I took that as the comment.

Just me??

@cbolt: Penny to Amy at the end of the episode.. "You can hold my hair back whilst I throw up" and then Amy's expression. I took that as the comment.

Just me??

Sorry but that isn't a lesbian comment it was just she was about to throw up and since amy isn't doing anything she might as well hold her pair to keep puke out of her hair. It's jet you, nothing more nothing less. There's no way that should ever be translated into a lesbian comment since it just wasn't.

I agree; that was not a lesbian comment.

I am also curious about the coin toss. Maybe they will show it on the DVD in a blooper scene.