The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
@jmclean1982

If Penny got replaced or left the show.

They couldn't just take her out without a replacement. She's not a nerd, so they would need to balance the dynamic by introducing a new Penny style character. But it would have to be someone pretty special.

Penny is really important to the show and I wouldn't want her to leave. Plus, I like her...she's really cute and bubbly.

For the first half of season 5 I really didn't like her. She was really disconnected/cynical for a while and I DID NOT like it.

I watch the show over and over and when I get to where we are now I start over, and seeing her in season 1 is always refreshing. She's so cute and innocent. I kind of miss that about her.

Truthfully, I personally wouldn't mind if she left, but the show really needs her. I'm thinking about the greater good here... lol.

edit: I'm starting to really like her again at the end of season 5. For a while there I was worried.

Without a Penny or a replacement, the show fails rather quickly imo. Her interaction with each of the characters provides an awful lot of substance to that character and their collective story arc(s).

-Leonard and Penny's connection is obvious. Without them, there is not much of a show. Huge crush/out of reach. Dating other people, then dating each other, breakup and friendship with regrets, getting back together etc.

-Whenever Leonard is involved with a woman other than Penny, she fills in when Sheldon needs help defining and correcting his social interactions. They are more friends now than ever imo. Penny helps connect Sheldon and Amy as well of course.

-Penny and Amy is rather obvious also, and a replacement is disastrous for Amy's character. In fact, without Penny, Amy is merely a female Sheldon and is completely unnecessary. Her story arc as "The Sheldon" of the three girls is the ONLY thing keeping her on the show imo.

-Wolowitz and his Playboy-ish behavior when Penny was around filled the beginning of the series wih most of the jokes and trouble interacting with females so prominent/established who he was. Bernadette is on the scene now, making that less prominent. His Mother has filled that space for the writers lately, but that cn get old quickly. Science jokes are generally good for him, but play second fiddle to Sheldon's and Leonard's. Not a PhD and all that.

-Raj's speech problems when Penny (both the hottest and most frequent of his female interactions) is around coupled with the openness they share when the alcohol starts flowing are the foundation of his character. Most science jokes are good for Raj, but also play second fiddle to Sheldon/Leonard. He'll make me laugh at the Cafeteria table, but getting drunk with Penny, learning she regretted leaving Leonard and ending up in bed with her? Deepens the Raj character greatly. You have to have Penny for that. A replacent would be a hollow connection.

Penny might not be your favorite character, or Kaley your favorite acting on the show, but Penny is the most vital character in my book.

penny is more important than sheldon. and they would not be able to replace her. pennny is like the foundation for all nerd/"typical" interaction

I agree that Penny is essential to the show.

On the other hand, Sheldon is the key to the whole thing. Without Sheldon (Jim Parsons) there is no show.

If Penny left the show and was replaced by another good looking woman who was spunky and able to handle the nerds next door, she would be missed for about 3 or 4 shows by most people and then be forgotten. She is not irreplaceable like Sheldon or Leonard. If either one of them left the show would soon be on it's way out the door.

I don't think it's possible to replace Penny, Sheldon, or Leonard without signalling the beginning of the end for this show. It's the dynamic between the three of them that is the heart of the show. But Howard and Raj could be replaced without a big problem imho.

I think Penny is a stock character who has not developed much in the course of the 5 series so far and , in that respect, could be quite easily replaced. I cannot think of any Penny-specific idiosyncrasies which would be missed by the show as a whole. She is only the social foil to the nerds and the soap opera fodder due to Leonards relationship with her which provides the necessary rom-com element so seemingly necessary in american sitcoms.

I think Penny is a stock character who has not developed much in the course of the 5 series so far and , in that respect, could be quite easily replaced...

Perhaps if Penny were bore as many striking similarities to your sister, as she does to mine, you might not think of her as such a stock character, and realize that she's practically as three-dimensional and realistic as many real people who live real lives.

Also, it's not true to say her character hasn't developed over the past five years. Her shared history with these four nerdy guys has changed her into, perhaps not a nerd herself, but someone who can understand and appreciate them on their own terms.

Besides, if Penny were replaced by someone new, a lot of the comedic capital that this show has built would be lost. There would suddenly be no inside jokes and no references to past hilarious occurrences, which by now have become ubiquitous. For example, a new character couldn't ask Sheldon to sing "Soft Kitty" when she doesn't feel well. Imagine all the air time that would have to be invested in bringing a new "Penny" up to speed! I hate to think about trying to sit through that!

Plus, here's one more thing to consider. Mainstream media has sold us the idea that someone like Penny is "normal" and "sexy" and that geeks are neither of these things. IMHO, one of the major themes of this show is the mainstreaming of nerdiness, and the proposition that all the nerds on this show, as "quirky" as each one might be, are actually just as normal and sexy as Penny is. The fact that Penny embraces them, and finds them not just acceptable, but in Leonard's case even desirable, is the empowering message that forms the foundational support for the comedy. Take Penny away, and you take that foundation away too, and I'll bet the comedy won't be nearly as funny, no matter how thick you layer it on.

Penny is a big part of Big Bang, så if she left or if they replaced her TBBT would not be the same.

Sorry, but the Penny character is fairly simplistic and could easily be replaced. The show wouldn't be the same? So what? Maybe replacing her would make it better. There have been episodes where she didn't make much if any appearances and she was not missed by most people. Notably when she injured herself by falling off a horse. The show didn't suffer from her absence. They could easily find another female character to move into her apartment and interact with the nerds next door. There would always be some die hard Penny fans who would never be happy about it but most fans would more or less forget about Penny after just a few shows. Considering how little time she has been the some of the episodes this season in taking into her account her injuries they may be easing her out already. Oh well, no big loss.

An interesting discussion. Could Kaley be replaced if she left? Without a doubt. I believe they could all be replaced, with the exception of Sheldon. He is the only truly unique character in the cast. Howard used to a one of a kind persona but, since entering into his relationship with Bernadette, he has become fairly mainstream. The bigger question is why anyone ever imagined Kaley leaving the show. She is happy, they are happy with her. She makes the same amount per episode as Jim and Johnny, so it is hard to imagine a scenario that would lead to her departure.

Yeah, unless something happens and she decides to leave the show for personal reasons, Penny is alpha female of TBBT.

So we're stuck with her :icon_cheesygrin: some of us are going to be happier about this than others, I guess.

If Lenard, Sheldon, or penny left the show I would simply stop watching. A change in cast especially the core cast cripples a show. When a show is established for 5 seasons you cant just get rid of a cast member. Some will argue....but look at two and a half men...and my response is, That show is not what it used to be. like it or not shows are not the same when cast is changed. Replacing Penny would be like replacing Elane or Craimer in seinfeld, replacing Joey or Frebbie in friends, replacing Barney or Robin in How I met your mother....just not good for shows.

I don't think the show would work without Sheldon, Leonard, Penny or Amy, with the present actors.

It's pretty obvious about the core 3; might be more controversial about Amy, but at the end of the day, Sheldon needs her. And when Sheldon wants something, that's what the show wants. :)

Yeah, unless something happens and she decides to leave the show for personal reasons, Penny is alpha female of TBBT.

So we're stuck with her :icon_cheesygrin: some of us are going to be happier about this than others, I guess.

Frankly I am ambivalent to her character. Although I do feel that they need a female character living across the hall from them, I don't feel that that the Penny character is essential to the well being of the show. They have drastically cut back on the amount of face time she has on the episodes and it doesn't seem to have hurt the show any. I suspect that they may be considering writing her out of the show.

She has a contract that pays her $250000 per episode this season. $300000 per episode next season, and $350000 per episode in year seven. If they write her out, do they have to pay her? Probably. So, I doubt she is going anywhere.

Well since she's barely used what's the difference, but she's irreplaceable like Sheldon and Leonard. If Penny left they should make a Tv or Movie star, but they would have to bring in some other but without her the show isn't the same and all nerds without a outside influence.

Frankly I am ambivalent to her character. Although I do feel that they need a female character living across the hall from them, I don't feel that that the Penny character is essential to the well being of the show. They have drastically cut back on the amount of face time she has on the episodes and it doesn't seem to have hurt the show any. I suspect that they may be considering writing her out of the show.

Well Kaley isn't going any where but if they do they better start writing a BIG FAT CHECK. But the reason she doesn't have as many scenes is there's so many characters on that the writers can't figure out how to write for them all with sacrificing others.

I don't think the show would work without Sheldon, Leonard, Penny or Amy, with the present actors.

It's pretty obvious about the core 3; might be more controversial about Amy, but at the end of the day, Sheldon needs her. And when Sheldon wants something, that's what the show wants. :)

It was fine pre-Amy and if there's a post-Amy it'll be fine.

If penny left would another hot female move across the hall and would Leonard fall for her? Would she be so accepting as Penny is?

I think Penny is a stock character who has not developed much in the course of the 5 series so far and , in that respect, could be quite easily replaced...

Perhaps if Penny were bore as many striking similarities to your sister, as she does to mine, you might not think of her as such a stock character, and realize that she's practically as three-dimensional and realistic as many real people who live real lives.

Also, it's not true to say her character hasn't developed over the past five years. Her shared history with these four nerdy guys has changed her into, perhaps not a nerd herself, but someone who can understand and appreciate them on their own terms.

Besides, if Penny were replaced by someone new, a lot of the comedic capital that this show has built would be lost. There would suddenly be no inside jokes and no references to past hilarious occurrences, which by now have become ubiquitous. For example, a new character couldn't ask Sheldon to sing "Soft Kitty" when she doesn't feel well. Imagine all the air time that would have to be invested in bringing a new "Penny" up to speed! I hate to think about trying to sit through that!

Plus, here's one more thing to consider. Mainstream media has sold us the idea that someone like Penny is "normal" and "sexy" and that geeks are neither of these things. IMHO, one of the major themes of this show is the mainstreaming of nerdiness, and the proposition that all the nerds on this show, as "quirky" as each one might be, are actually just as normal and sexy as Penny is. The fact that Penny embraces them, and finds them not just acceptable, but in Leonard's case even desirable, is the empowering message that forms the foundational support for the comedy. Take Penny away, and you take that foundation away too, and I'll bet the comedy won't be nearly as funny, no matter how thick you layer it on.

I want proof your sister looks like penny before I believe you.

If Penny left the show and was replaced by another good looking woman who was spunky and able to handle the nerds next door, she would be missed for about 3 or 4 shows by most people and then be forgotten. She is not irreplaceable like Sheldon or Leonard. If either one of them left the show would soon be on it's way out the door.

I believe Leonard is in the same boat as penny.

I think Penny is a stock character who has not developed much in the course of the 5 series so far and , in that respect, could be quite easily replaced. I cannot think of any Penny-specific idiosyncrasies which would be missed by the show as a whole. She is only the social foil to the nerds and the soap opera fodder due to Leonards relationship with her which provides the necessary rom-com element so seemingly necessary in american sitcoms.

That's the problem I have with the writers and producers they have under used her and little developement we barely know much about her or her life in Omaha. Is acting still a dream? Does she still go to auditions? Does she get call backs, etc? So little is mentioned of her acting, I can't think of a lead character especially when she as the only female for a while that has such little character developement, we are almost done with season 5 and she still is just Penny with no last name.

Sorry, but the Penny character is fairly simplistic and could easily be replaced. The show wouldn't be the same? So what? Maybe replacing her would make it better. There have been episodes where she didn't make much if any appearances and she was not missed by most people. Notably when she injured herself by falling off a horse. The show didn't suffer from her absence. They could easily find another female character to move into her apartment and interact with the nerds next door. There would always be some die hard Penny fans who would never be happy about it but most fans would more or less forget about Penny after just a few shows. Considering how little time she has been the some of the episodes this season in taking into her account her injuries they may be easing her out already. Oh well, no big loss.

I think you're missing the importance of Penny, could they bring in another pretty blonde across the hall? Sure. Would it be the same? No. Would Shelon ask her toeing soft kitty or would she interact with the guys in the same manner as penny? Probably not, plus it would probably take a full season just for the guys just to get to know the knew girl and establish a friendship and Sheldon maybe longer.