If Penny got replaced or left the show.

@jmclean1982

She has a contract that pays her $250000 per episode this season. $300000 per episode next season, and $350000 per episode in year seven. If they write her out, do they have to pay her? Probably. So, I doubt she is going anywhere.

Yes they would have to pay her. Which means that the show would be even more expensive to produce because then they would have to hire a new actress, pay her salary along with what Kaley would be making.

That ain't going happen because everybody involved in the production of the show is happy with the work Kaley does. CBS/Warner isn't going to mess with the shows success.

Penny is vital to the show because she represents the normal everyday people. You have to have that perspective on the show. Most of the comedy in the show is the contrasting of the viewpoints of the nerds/geeks versus that of the normal.

She is the one who encourages the guys and Amy to expand their horizons. Without Penny, Sheldon would never have manned up asked Amy to be his girlfriend. Without Penny, Amy would still be what amounted to a female Sheldon. Without Penny, Howard would never have met Bernadette. Without Penny, Leonard never would have had the courage to ask other types of woman besides Leslie(who was terrible for him)out on dates. The only character who she really hasn't had as much of an effect on is Raj. His character is faced with a problem that Penny can't help him with much.

She isn't getting as much screentime because the writers have added two more female regulars to the cast and they have to be fit in but that doesn't mean they are going to write her out of the show.

I also don't think TAAHM is a good example because while the show had initial boost in ratings because...lets be real, the fiasco with Charlie Sheen drummed up huge interest in how they were going to handle his departure. Those initial episodes were always going to get high ratings. The ratings have come back down to normal levels. The thing that makes TAAHM an exception to the rule is that Charlie Sheen's nasty behavior and the fact that it was potentially putting a lot of people out of work garnered the show a lot of sympathy from viewers, so they are sticking around to help keep the show afloat. This is not the case when most shows lose a vital character. Just look at what happened with 8 Simple Rules. They lost Jon Ritter and while that may have gained the show some sympathy from the viewers when they tried to carry on without him it was ultimately cancelled because viewers stopped tuning in after those initial episodes post Ritter aired.

Sorry, but the Penny character is fairly simplistic and could easily be replaced. The show wouldn't be the same? So what? Maybe replacing her would make it better. There have been episodes where she didn't make much if any appearances and she was not missed by most people. Notably when she injured herself by falling off a horse. The show didn't suffer from her absence. They could easily find another female character to move into her apartment and interact with the nerds next door. There would always be some die hard Penny fans who would never be happy about it but most fans would more or less forget about Penny after just a few shows. Considering how little time she has been the some of the episodes this season in taking into her account her injuries they may be easing her out already. Oh well, no big loss.

Sure people still tuned in but the fan opinion on those episode weren't vary high. Most common reason being because Penny wasn't there. I think it would really hard to replace her character because most of the fans like her a lot. They would have to get a new female cast member to be the girl next door type character. Since they already have it with Penny it doesn't make logical sense to get rid of her character. Plus it also means they would have to start from scratch on this new character.

Well actually if you look at 8 simple rules the first season didn't garner high ratings and after fitter's death it dropped, As for raj Penny can't help him but a professional might.

8 Simples rules wasn't a ratings monster but it ultimately wasn't able to survive without Ritter because it hadn't been around long enough to garner enough sympathy for the viewers to stick with it after his passing. Had Ritter not died, the show might still be around today.

8 Simples rules wasn't a ratings monster but it ultimately wasn't able to survive without Ritter because it hadn't been around long enough to garner enough sympathy for the viewers to stick with it after his passing. Had Ritter not died, the show might still be around today.

True it was only one season starting second when he passed, but I don't know if it saw that show still being on it would be only about 10 if he hadn't died I coukd see about 5 at some point the girls grew up and left the house not sure what they would've done after that now if it stayed on we would have a different penny.

She has a contract that pays her $250000 per episode this season. $300000 per episode next season, and $350000 per episode in year seven. If they write her out, do they have to pay her? Probably. So, I doubt she is going anywhere.

Yes they would have to pay her. Which means that the show would be even more expensive to produce because then they would have to hire a new actress, pay her salary along with what Kaley would be making.

That ain't going happen because everybody involved in the production of the show is happy with the work Kaley does. CBS/Warner isn't going to mess with the shows success.

Penny is vital to the show because she represents the normal everyday people. You have to have that perspective on the show. Most of the comedy in the show is the contrasting of the viewpoints of the nerds/geeks versus that of the normal.

She is the one who encourages the guys and Amy to expand their horizons. Without Penny, Sheldon would never have manned up asked Amy to be his girlfriend. Without Penny, Amy would still be what amounted to a female Sheldon. Without Penny, Howard would never have met Bernadette. Without Penny, Leonard never would have had the courage to ask other types of woman besides Leslie(who was terrible for him)out on dates. The only character who she really hasn't had as much of an effect on is Raj. His character is faced with a problem that Penny can't help him with much.

She isn't getting as much screentime because the writers have added two more female regulars to the cast and they have to be fit in but that doesn't mean they are going to write her out of the show.

I also don't think TAAHM is a good example because while the show had initial boost in ratings because...lets be real, the fiasco with Charlie Sheen drummed up huge interest in how they were going to handle his departure. Those initial episodes were always going to get high ratings. The ratings have come back down to normal levels. The thing that makes TAAHM an exception to the rule is that Charlie Sheen's nasty behavior and the fact that it was potentially putting a lot of people out of work garnered the show a lot of sympathy from viewers, so they are sticking around to help keep the show afloat. This is not the case when most shows lose a vital character. Just look at what happened with 8 Simple Rules. They lost Jon Ritter and while that may have gained the show some sympathy from the viewers when they tried to carry on without him it was ultimately cancelled because viewers stopped tuning in after those initial episodes post Ritter aired.

Sorry, but the Penny character is fairly simplistic and could easily be replaced. The show wouldn't be the same? So what? Maybe replacing her would make it better. There have been episodes where she didn't make much if any appearances and she was not missed by most people. Notably when she injured herself by falling off a horse. The show didn't suffer from her absence. They could easily find another female character to move into her apartment and interact with the nerds next door. There would always be some die hard Penny fans who would never be happy about it but most fans would more or less forget about Penny after just a few shows. Considering how little time she has been the some of the episodes this season in taking into her account her injuries they may be easing her out already. Oh well, no big loss.

Sure people still tuned in but the fan opinion on those episode weren't vary high. Most common reason being because Penny wasn't there. I think it would really hard to replace her character because most of the fans like her a lot. They would have to get a new female cast member to be the girl next door type character. Since they already have it with Penny it doesn't make logical sense to get rid of her character. Plus it also means they would have to start from scratch on this new character.

Fan opinion doesn't count, what does is ratings. There wasn't any drop in ratings.

Fan opinion doesn't count, what does is ratings. There wasn't any drop in ratings.

Over the coarse of time it does matter. The ratings weren't going to be down because the majority of TBBT fans weren't even aware of Kaley's accident to begin with little alone what episodes she was going to be either absent or barely in at all.

You have to remember that the overwhelming majority of the fans don't participate in online fandom so most aren't up date on celebrity news and other information regarding the show. They simply know what day the show regularly airs and simply tunes in for it.

Over the coarse of time it does matter. The ratings weren't going to be down because the majority of TBBT fans weren't even aware of Kaley's accident to begin with little alone what episodes she was going to be either absent or barely in at all.

You have to remember that the overwhelming majority of the fans don't participate in online fandom so most aren't up date on celebrity news and other information regarding the show. They simply know what day the show regularly airs and simply tunes in for it.

Most don't care. The could care less if Penny left as long as there was a decent replacement for her. It didn't hurt the ratings when Leonard was with Raj's sister. As a matter of fact many people thought that she was a much better match for Leonard the Penny was. The Penny lovers hate her, but she is a much better match. She is smarter, had higher moral standards, and IMO better looking.

I am not a Penny lover and I despised Priya. She would never work for someone like Leonard on a long term basis. She had no interest in anything he liked. Made it clear that she thought his interests were silly, and spent a lot of time on trying to change him. Maybe they could have written it in a way that worked, but not without changing one of the characters in a major way. As for her moral standards, she is a lawyer. One step up on the ethical chain from a used car salesman... (and, no, the lawyer crack is not supposed to be taken seriously.) And she wasn't all that moral. As soon as she got back to India she slept with an old boyfriend.

They could replace Penny with the old neighbor, the cross dressing black dude.

There I said it... But seriously, it would be tough replacing her but the show would survive, cheers got by without Shelly Long, 3's company got by without Susanne Summers. Without Sheldon though, the show would be done..

Most don't care. The could care less if Penny left as long as there was a decent replacement for her. It didn't hurt the ratings when Leonard was with Raj's sister. As a matter of fact many people thought that she was a much better match for Leonard the Penny was. The Penny lovers hate her, but she is a much better match. She is smarter, had higher moral standards, and IMO better looking.

Yeah Priya has such high standards that's why she cheated on Leonard, Penny has made her mistakes but she has never cheated.

• 4 weeks later...

First, I have a shallow reason for saying they shouldnt replace her, she is the "eye candy" of the show, even so there is a depth, compassion and connection with the charater. But beyond that I feel she is one of the pillars of the show along with Leonard and Sheldon, without any of the 3 characters the show wouldnt be the same and would signal the beginning of the end. I believe that ANY of the other characters could be replaced without changing the show much, though Raj does play a bit of a unique role. In someways a new neighbor could freshen things up, but if they just recycled the same story from the first few seasons, it would get old quick. PLus Leonard still needs a love interest so that would mean bringing in a new neighbor and a potential mate for Leonard, that would complicate the show and seem forced.

I think that you left out the most important factor, they don't care.

First, I have a shallow reason for saying they shouldnt replace her, she is the "eye candy" of the show, even so there is a depth, compassion and connection with the charater. But beyond that I feel she is one of the pillars of the show along with Leonard and Sheldon, without any of the 3 characters the show wouldnt be the same and would signal the beginning of the end. I believe that ANY of the other characters could be replaced without changing the show much, though Raj does play a bit of a unique role. In someways a new neighbor could freshen things up, but if they just recycled the same story from the first few seasons, it would get old quick. PLus Leonard still needs a love interest so that would mean bringing in a new neighbor and a potential mate for Leonard, that would complicate the show and seem forced.

If Kaley ever left for some reason they would have to recast penny they couldn't just have penny leave and even if another female moved into penny's apt. it would be the first 2-3 seasons over and who would want to watch that, I don't feel Leonard has to have a female interest he might need one but he doesn't have to have one, if penny left it wouldn't be the affect of Sheldon leaving but it would signal the end is near.

It would definitely degrade the show if Penny left. I'm not a huge fan of either of the other ladies. They have their moments but they're not what Penny is. Classic hot chick who is slowly being drawn over to the geek side. Not only that but she has a great history built up with Sheldon and Leonard to work from. I really don't see how she could be replaced.

Classic hot chick who is slowly being drawn over to the geek side. Not only that but she has a great history built up with Sheldon and Leonard to work from. I really don't see how she could be replaced.

Agreed. Penny provides a perfect foil to the nerds. They learn from her, she learns from them. It's the heart of the story, IMO.

I agree. They could have the character leave and replace her with a woman who is a professional and I think that ratings may or may not drop for 2 or 3 episodes and then it would rebound. That being said, I don't think that it is going to happen. Hopefully they will continue to have her act mature and the heavy drinking and pickups are far in her past.

There's a difference between Kaley being absent for two episodes and her leaving the show.

Well if they replaced Penny she would just be a Penny clone and outside of you I don't see anyone thinking Priya is more suited for Leonard so I don't know who these many people are.

There's a difference between Kaley being absent for two episodes and her leaving the show.

Well if they replaced Penny she would just be a Penny clone and outside of you I don't see anyone thinking Priya is more suited for Leonard so I don't know who these many people are.

Really? Going back to reply to comments made over a month ago?

Well I didn't realize there was a time frame for commenting and yet you still commented.

Well I didn't realize there was a time frame for commenting and yet you still commented.

Yeah, I commented on going back over a month to make more replies in addition to the ones you made back then.

Yeah, I commented on going back over a month to make more replies in addition to the ones you made back then.

Yet you still commented.