If Penny got replaced or left the show.

@jmclean1982

I really dont feel the show would be the same if we lost any of the main characters. Bernadette and Amy arent nearly as important to the show / story, although with Howard and Bernadette married it does give her character a little more weight.

It might hurt the ratings for a while if Penny left the show, but it would not be disastrous. They would just replace her with another hot looking girl and the show would go back to the original premise of 2 nerds who have a hot girl move in next door. There are some episodes where because of injuries to the actress, the Penny character was either absent or only made a brief appearance and she was hardly missed. Yes the Penny character is endearing but that particular character is not necessary to the success of the show. For example, they could have Penny move back to Nebraska, have Sheldon's twin sister move in, and they would have not only her interaction with her brother but have Leonard fall for her. No problem.

It might hurt the ratings for a while if Penny left the show, but it would not be disastrous. They would just replace her with another hot looking girl and the show would go back to the original premise of 2 nerds who have a hot girl move in next door. There are some episodes where because of injuries to the actress, the Penny character was either absent or only made a brief appearance and she was hardly missed. Yes the Penny character is endearing but that particular character is not necessary to the success of the show. For example, they could have Penny move back to Nebraska, have Sheldon's twin sister move in, and they would have not only her interaction with her brother but have Leonard fall for her. No problem.

Yeah that would work. Leonard dating someone a foot taller than he is. Take Penny out of the equation and the show would collapse.

Yeah that would work. Leonard dating someone a foot taller than he is. Take Penny out of the equation and the show would collapse.

I don't believe that it would. As I said, the Penny character was absent for a while and often she only makes a brief appearance and it didn't hurt the ratings one bit. She could be replaced by another hot girl. As for Leonard dating a girl a foot taller then him, how is that any more unlikely then him dating a hot girl? Okay, if that is a problem, bring on some other hot girl. It doesn't change my theory at all.

I think Penny could quite easily be replaced by another new lady living across the hall. As the show has changed/evolved, it wouldn't have to be another Penny either, it could perhaps be a girl/woman with 'issues' - or even a variation on the theme of Lesley Winkle giving Sheldon non stop grief could be great!

Matt

I find it hard to take you seriously when you say the show would collapse without penny.

I find it hard to take you seriously when you say the show would collapse without penny.

Penny is the second most popular character in the show, next to Sheldon. The biggest controversy, in the five years, revolved around the trashing of Penny's character by putting her in bed with Raj. Some of the best comedy in the show centers around Sheldon and Penny's antipathy. Leonard's journey to win Penny is the central theme of the show since the pilot. Take Penny out of the equation and the show will collapse.

Penny is the second most popular character in the show, next to Sheldon. The biggest controversy, in the five years, revolved around the trashing of Penny's character by putting her in bed with Raj. Some of the best comedy in the show centers around Sheldon and Penny's antipathy. Leonard's journey to win Penny is the central theme of the show since the pilot. Take Penny out of the equation and the show will collapse.

I get your a big penny fan but penny is no way the second most popular character on th show, even the polls here have proved that is not the case.

The Penny character is not a mainstay of the show. There have been many episodes where either she was totally absent or her total screen time was less then 5 minutes and it did not hurt either the episode's story or ratings. She could very easily be replaced with another good looking female without damaging the show beyond recovery.

I get your a big penny fan but penny is no way the second most popular character on th show, even the polls here have proved that is not the case.

Actually you are quite wrong. The poll here most definitely shows Penny as the second most popular character, just inching out Leonard by about 1000 votes. The producers pay Kaley the same money as Johnny and Jim. You think there isn't data to back that up? If she weren't as popular as the two men are in their polls, they wouldn't cough up that much cash.

The Penny character is not a mainstay of the show. There have been many episodes where either she was totally absent or her total screen time was less then 5 minutes and it did not hurt either the episode's story or ratings. She could very easily be replaced with another good looking female without damaging the show beyond recovery.

I disagree. The Penny character is essential to the show. She is the glue that tied the other two women into the plot. She is also where those two characters constantly gravitate towards. Replacing Penny with a new character would ruin that dynamic. She is the constant object of desire that is behind Leonard's motivation. I think they are having some difficulty writing that relationship at the moment, but it is still the central plot. And lastly, the producers believe she is as important as the two main men because they pay her exactly the same amount. These people don't throw money at actors without good evidence.

Kaley is superb as Penny, but my reasoning is that because the character Penny is a fairly common type of person (albeit with good looks), that either getting another person to either play Penny if Kaley left, or even having another Penny 'type', or... even ditch the character altogether and go with another neighbour entirely - would not be detrimental to the current show (and the way it is going): It has moved on a fast pace these last two seasons...

Replacing the four lads however would be catastrophic; because they are not common everyday people and the comedy is more complex with them - i.e their mannerisms are so full of idiosyncratic that the actors have really made their own (not literally - but in interpretation), that if any one of them left, I think loss of dynamic could kill the show.

Matt

Nothing will convince me that the show would collapse without penny, if penny left tomorrow the show could even run as normal untill they found a replacement unlike when Charlie left two and a half men and they had to cut the show short. There were 2 episodes penny wasn't in and I didn't even realize untill someone pointed it out.

And as for her getting paid as much as sheldon and Leonard that's always been an issue with me, I have no idea why she gets paid more then Howard and raj because I think they both add more to the show then her, she was paid more then them 2 from the begining though and it just hasnt changed, so she was paid more before there was any data to even look at. Baffles me why she gets so much, seriously.

I am not saying that the actress is not good at her job, I am saying that the character could easily be replaced. To say that she is the glue that ties in the other two female characters is not in any way a convincing argument. They are secondary characters on the show and in addition they could very easily bring in another female character to replace Penny and have Bernadette and Amy become closer because of it. Even more likely, since Bernadette is now married, they could have her spending most of her time with Howard and Amy continue on with her campaign to become closer with Sheldon. The Penny character is not required for that.

It seems to me that there are several questions here.

1. If Kaley left, could a different actor take on the role of Penny? Yeah could be done, but it would be awkward. I would imagine they would chose instead to create a Penny clone.

2. If Kaley left, could a different actor play the part of a Penny clone? You could do this as easily as dropping Jim and having another actor play the role of the wacky roommate. You would have a ratings hit, but if the writing is as good as everyone says it is then the show would still go on. This is what they did with 3 and 1/2 men. That show didn't seem to change at all (it sucked then and it sucks now).

3. Could you drop the Penny character altogether? I doubt it. The Penny character is one of the 3 central characters in the show. It would be hard to imagine how they could keep going without a socially adept, non-nerd character for Leonard and Sheldon to play off of. You would also lose Leonard's muse.

There are a lot of posts about how the show has been about relationships from the pilot because of the Penny / Leonard interaction and also that "The Big Bang" is a metaphor for the impact that Penny has on Leonard and Sheldon. Given that, it would seem impossible to change this central role significantly without there being a negative impact with the fans.

To me, the Penny character is way more important than the Raj or Howard characters. For instance they completely dropped the original Howard character and replaced him with a different character (admittedly played by the same actor). This has caused some ripples with some fans liking the new Howard and some lamenting the lose of the old Howard, but this hasn't had any real impact on the show.

Yes, they could drop the Penny character and have another character perform a very similar function as the Penny character now does. An attractive women who appears to be out of reach for a nerd like Leonard but who eventually sees past his nerdiness to his good qualities or better yet, embraces his being a nerd. As I have mentioned on numerous occasions, there have been episodes where Penny either does not make any appearance at all or appears for only a few minutes in the episode and it did not seem to affect the ratings or the story line.

If Penny were to be replaced, I think that they would do well to replace her with someone more emotionally mature and who is more professional in her career. Perhaps a businesswoman or an attorney. I have no idea what Sheldon's twin sister does for a living but if for some reason Penny was replaced, she would be my first choice simply because of the interaction between not only her and Leonard but between her and Sheldon.

According to Sheldon's mother her other children are "dumb as soup", though his sister did not seem dumb in the episode she appeared in. Going on the theory of screen time equaling importance on the show, look what happened to Raj at the end of S5, he played extremely small parts in some episodes. Howard also is not the focus in many episodes, though the end of S5 really had his character come on strong showcasing his (Simon) acting abilities.

In terms of their pay I think all 5 main actors should earn the same, they all contribute nearly equally in my eyes.

Yes, they could drop the Penny character and have another character perform a very similar function as the Penny character now does. An attractive women who appears to be out of reach for a nerd like Leonard but who eventually sees past his nerdiness to his good qualities or better yet, embraces his being a nerd. As I have mentioned on numerous occasions, there have been episodes where Penny either does not make any appearance at all or appears for only a few minutes in the episode and it did not seem to affect the ratings or the story line.

If Penny were to be replaced, I think that they would do well to replace her with someone more emotionally mature and who is more professional in her career. Perhaps a businesswoman or an attorney. I have no idea what Sheldon's twin sister does for a living but if for some reason Penny was replaced, she would be my first choice simply because of the interaction between not only her and Leonard but between her and Sheldon.

I don't get it. Leonard has complained about Penny wearing shoes that are too tall and you think Missy, who is about a foot taller than Leonard, would make a good match for him? How is that possible? Also, Sheldon said what Missy does for a living. She works at Fudruckers. Doesn't really fit your business woman/ attorney scheme.

I don't get it. Leonard has complained about Penny wearing shoes that are too tall and you think Missy, who is about a foot taller than Leonard, would make a good match for him? How is that possible? Also, Sheldon said what Missy does for a living. She works at Fudruckers. Doesn't really fit your business woman/ attorney scheme.

As I said, the reason I think that Sheldon's sister would be a good addition is because of her interaction with Sheldon. The height thing would just something else that Leonard would have to overcome, and as for what she was doing several years ago, who knows if she was saving money, working her way through school, or what has taken place. We have no idea. I find it somewhat interesting that the difference in height seems to somehow disqualify her from having any kind of relationship with Leonard in your mind. Obviously it didn't in his since he tried so desperately to go out with her. Hard as it may to believe, there are actually couples in the world where the wife is taller then the husband, and some of them are very happy.

We're not talking about a good match for Leonard. We're talking about replacing the Penny character's arch-type. Penny isn't a good match for Leonard either, so yeah, Missy would be a good replacement for Penny.

Now, I have no idea what it is about Missy, but she comes off as like way more intelligent and confident and capable than Penny. Like a hundred fold. Maybe it's all just in how she carries herself. Maybe she is, as Sheldon says, dumb as soup.

As I said, the reason I think that Sheldon's sister would be a good addition is because of her interaction with Sheldon. The height thing would just something else that Leonard would have to overcome, and as for what she was doing several years ago, who knows if she was saving money, working her way through school, or what has taken place. We have no idea. I find it somewhat interesting that the difference in height seems to somehow disqualify her from having any kind of relationship with Leonard in your mind. Obviously it didn't in his since he tried so desperately to go out with her. Hard as it may to believe, there are actually couples in the world where the wife is taller then the husband, and some of them are very happy.

That was the theme of that one show. That is the way they write this show. One episode at a time. The running joke in the Missy episode was the competition of the three guys for Missy's attention. It wasn't an example of character. And it isn't the only episode where they have diverged from character traits for comedy's sake. Need I remind you, in the Missy episode, she very plainly said, "no," when Leonard asked her out. Was she going to have to get a lobotomy before moving into Penny's apartment, so that she would find Leonard attractive?

You did see the episode where Leonard criticized Penny for wearing shoes that were too tall? Where he suggested it was like taking a walk with his mommy. Why would he want someone even taller? To reiterate, both Sheldon and his mother have stated that his siblings are dumber than soup and/or that Missy waitresses at Fudruckers. There was no mention that she was saving for college, or joining the navy, or in the process of writing the great American novel. She would be a lame exchange for Penny, IMO. The Leonard/Penny subtext is an important part of the somewhat shaky back story. Missy could not replace Penny for Leonard without completely rewriting Leonard. Doing that kind of alteration on an incredibly successful show is courting financial suicide. It's a serious case of fixing something that isn't broken.

In reality, Kaley Cuoco has a signed contract through the seventh year. She gets a $50k per episode raise each year. It is obvious that the producers are quite happy with her. She would have to be an idiot to give up that many million's of dollars. She isn't going anywhere. Penny will be a character on the show, in spite of any wishful thinking, by anyone in here.

That was the theme of that one show. That is the way they write this show. One episode at a time. The running joke in the Missy episode was the competition of the three guys for Missy's attention. It wasn't an example of character. And it isn't the only episode where they have diverged from character traits for comedy's sake. Need I remind you, in the Missy episode, she very plainly said, "no," when Leonard asked her out. Was she going to have to get a lobotomy before moving into Penny's apartment, so that she would find Leonard attractive?

You did see the episode where Leonard criticized Penny for wearing shoes that were too tall? Where he suggested it was like taking a walk with his mommy. Why would he want someone even taller? To reiterate, both Sheldon and his mother have stated that his siblings are dumber than soup and/or that Missy waitresses at Fudruckers. There was no mention that she was saving for college, or joining the navy, or in the process of writing the great American novel. She would be a lame exchange for Penny, IMO. The Leonard/Penny subtext is an important part of the somewhat shaky back story. Missy could not replace Penny for Leonard without completely rewriting Leonard. Doing that kind of alteration on an incredibly successful show is courting financial suicide. It's a serious case of fixing something that isn't broken.

In reality, Kaley Cuoco has a signed contract through the seventh year. She gets a $50k per episode raise each year. It is obvious that the producers are quite happy with her. She would have to be an idiot to give up that many million's of dollars. She isn't going anywhere. Penny will be a character on the show, in spite of any wishful thinking, by anyone in here.

Your reasoning seems to be that because in one show Leonard said one thing about Penny wearing high heels which makes her taller, that episode should be the standard. On another show he asks out a girl who is taller then him but that shouldn't count.

As for "reality", so what? The question is "IF they replaced Penny".

I think the only way to replace Penny at this point is out of necessity, if the actress quits. She was there from the beginnning, and she is the fundamental part of what makes this show.

Penny is the heart of the show. She's the way for an average non-geeky/non-nerdy fans to relate to the characters. She also represents the "normal" (aka socially well-adjusted) people who are routing for the nerds to break out of their shells.

Your reasoning seems to be that because in one show Leonard said one thing about Penny wearing high heels which makes her taller, that episode should be the standard. On another show he asks out a girl who is taller then him but that shouldn't count.

As for "reality", so what? The question is "IF they replaced Penny".

no, the problem with his shortness is ongoing, that was an example. the Missy episode was an aberration. If they replaced Penny it would be disastrous for the show and they will not do it.