If Penny got replaced or left the show.

@jmclean1982

If Leonard had a serious problem with his height he wouldn't go out with any girl that was even close to his height. He would make sure that they were allot shorter then him. Missy being an aberration is your opinion only. Perhaps his ONE comment to Penny about wearing flat soled shoes was the aberration. I will go with what the writer's show us. I personally believe that Leonard is equal opportunity dater. He will overlook a woman being taller then him if he is attracted to her.

I really can't imagine the show without Penny (and I mean Kaley as Penny). She's part of the core.

I don't think the show would work without Sheldon, Leonard, Penny or Amy, with the present actors.

It's pretty obvious about the core 3; might be more controversial about Amy, but at the end of the day, Sheldon needs her. And when Sheldon wants something, that's what the show wants. :)

It was fine pre-Amy and if there's a post-Amy it'll be fine.

My point is that Sheldon definitely will not be fine 'post-Amy'. After just knowing her for a few months, he got so mentally disturbed on losing her that he had to get 25 cats. At this point of time, Amy is a mainstay in Sheldon's life and he's probably more emotionally attached to her than he's been to anyone before (besides his Mee maw). One evening of not being able to contact her made him too distressed to be able to concentrate on anything else. And this is a man who is so afraid of change that he could hardly handle the Leonard/Penny break-up. Can you imagine what losing Amy would be like for him now?

Sorry for going off on a tangent from the topic of this thread.

I really can't imagine the show without Penny (and I mean Kaley as Penny). She's part of the core.

I don't think the show would work without Sheldon, Leonard, Penny or Amy, with the present actors.

It's pretty obvious about the core 3; might be more controversial about Amy, but at the end of the day, Sheldon needs her. And when Sheldon wants something, that's what the show wants. :)

My point is that Sheldon definitely will not be fine 'post-Amy'. After just knowing her for a few months, he got so mentally disturbed on losing her that he had to get 25 cats. At this point of time, Amy is a mainstay in Sheldon's life and he's probably more emotionally attached to her than he's been to anyone before (besides his Mee maw). One evening of not being able to contact her made him too distressed to be able to concentrate on anything else. And this is a man who is so afraid of change that he could hardly handle the Leonard/Penny break-up. Can you imagine what losing Amy would be like for him now?

Plus, as he mentioned with Penny, he has put a lot of effort into accomodating Amy into his life and he would hate for it to be in vain.

Sorry but I can't agree with everything being said here. I see Kaley as a Hollywood Survivor both now and in the future. But I am not as deeply involved as some of you.

What's a "Hollywood Survivor"?

Plus, as he mentioned with Penny, he has put a lot of effort into accomodating Amy into his life and he would hate for it to be in vain.

Yes. And the effort has indeed been great, for Amy! He's having to challenge many of his own set ways and beliefs (especially about himself), for her sake.

• 6 months later...

I read this entire thread and its funny there is a thread of 'If Jim/Sheldon left the show' and everyone on there agrees no one could replace Jim Parsons as Sheldon but I come here and there is so many saying, they could replace Penny.  What does that tell ya?  Penny is not an irreplaceable character.  The show would not die without her but it certainly would if Jim left.  I really don't care for Penny nor Kaley but would I want her to leave?  Not really because the dynamic of the 7 would be off but if she left it would not kill me either.  

Another Penny hater topic. If you drop Penny you will loose viewers period. Leonard is suppose to be with Penny, not Pryia, Alex, Alice or anyone else. I even think later, after they marry, they could make a spin off series with Penny and Leonard, they could never do that with Sheldon and anyone because 22 minutes of straight Sheldon, once a week would never last one season. This show makes it because of the chemistry between the characters, all of them.

Another Penny hater topic. If you drop Penny you will loose viewers period. Leonard is suppose to be with Penny, not Pryia, Alex, Alice or anyone else. I even think later, after they marry, they could make a spin off series with Penny and Leonard, they could never do that with Sheldon and anyone because 22 minutes of straight Sheldon, once a week would never last one season. This show makes it because of the chemistry between the characters, all of them.
I agree SRAM. I would probably not follow a changed ensemble. A simple swap is out too. Now I am so invested in L/P they would have to make one of them the grieving widow/ widower and run that for two seasons for me to forget. And I can't see that being funny. Edited by Nogravitasatall

She is the only character with no growth in the show.She did not have a career at the beginning,5 years later she still does not have any professional accomplishments.She is a financial moocher of the other members who are all widely sucessful in their fields and lives.If Penny was a real person,she would have left the group on her own out of sheer embaressment!!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Kutra" data-cid="79987" data-time="1356829456"><p>

She is the only character with no growth in the show.She did not have a career at the beginning,5 years later she still does not have any professional accomplishments.She is a financial moocher of the other members who are all widely sucessful in their fields and lives.If Penny was a real person,she would have left the group on her own out of sheer embaressment!!</p></blockquote>

... And Howard would be working at Space X and only seeing his buddies two or three times a year. Lets watch that.

I'm not a big penny lover but she is meant to be with Leonard. She is the girl next door who falls in love with the nerd next door.

I so wish they would develop her character more.

A better job like Bernadette, a acting gig...something more than a hemmiroid commercial after 5 yrs. They made her come to LA to be a star. She's still a waitress 5 yrs later. If Penny was a real girl, she would have either gone back hm or chosen a diff job other than being at the Cheesecake Factory. At least she be a manager by now. Sheesh.

They show works because of all of them. None of them can be replaced.

Frankly I have always felt that Penny could be easily replaced.   She leaves, they bring in some other good looking female character, and after a couple shows it will be "Penny who?". 

That goes for Sheldon too. You get a Jim Carrey type to take his place you'd be going "Sheldon who?". Since Penny has been the second favorite character on the show (see polls) and the show being on for six years I think you are in the minority about her.

About the Sheldon part. Bazinga.  

If they get rid of Penny, I'll quit watching because they will have changed the show completely from what it is.

. They made her come to LA to be a star. She's still a waitress 5 yrs later. If Penny was a real girl, she would have either gone back hm or chosen a diff job other than being at the Cheesecake Factory. At least she be a manager by now. Sheesh. 

There's a couple things wrong with this statement. First, Penny may not like being a waitress and says she sucks at it, but the truth is, it is a pretty well-paying job and offers flexible hours, which is why people do it while they're in school or pursuing other interests. Second, management requires more hours and more responsibility, which is probably not something she's looking for as opposed to just going in for her shift and walking out with her cash.

They made her come to LA to be a star. She's still a waitress 5 yrs later. If Penny was a real girl, she would have either gone back hm or chosen a diff job other than being at the Cheesecake Factory. At least she be a manager by now. Sheesh. 

There's a couple things wrong with this statement. First, Penny may not like being a waitress and says she sucks at it, but the truth is, it is a pretty well-paying job and offers flexible hours, which is why people do it while they're in school or pursuing other interests. Second, management requires more hours and more responsibility, which is probably not something she's looking for as opposed to just going in for her shift and walking out with her cash.

Just to add to Europa's point, my daughter recently turned down a management position at a restaurant, due to the limits it would put on her ability to attend auditions, and accept roles. For instance, in Oct-Nov 2012, she was living about 300 miles from here(paid for by the theatre company), doing a show. She simply let her work know she would be gone during that time(she knew about the role 5-6 months ahead of time). As a manager, she wouldn't be able to leave for that amount of time, due to the limited number of managers.

While Penny hasn't had enough roles to worry about missing work, she is still AFAIK, although unseen, attending auditions. There is a reason there is a cliche about aspiring actors working as waiters or waitresses, there is a lot of flexibility in that job.

I don't care if Penny is a clown in the circus. They need to give her more to work with. It's a fictional character. They can make up anything.

A lot of the stuff on the show doesn't make sense, its made up. It's also silly how Sheldon said he couldn't afford rent on his own. If it was real life Sheldon is banking so is Leonard. I looked up how much real physicists make in California and at cal tech

I don't know how Penny is surving. I use to be a waitress many many moons ago. It's hard work and the pay isn't that great. Yes it can be flexible

I hope they give Penny more acting jobs or at least a different career since she's going back to school

Edited by Shamyfan

I don't care if Penny is a clown in the circus. They need to give her more to work with. It's a fictional character. They can make up anything.

A lot of the stuff on the show doesn't make sense, its made up. It's also silly how Sheldon said he couldn't afford rent on his own. If it was real life Sheldon is banking so is Leonard. I looked up how much real physicists make in California and at cal tech

I don't know how Penny is surving. I use to be a waitress many many moons ago. It's hard work and the pay isn't that great. Yes it can be flexible

I hope they give Penny more acting jobs or at least a different career since she's going back to school.

Hey, the statements here are all right on and make a lot of sense. It was your previous one that wasn't quite right and why I commented. I'm not sure how many people you know that have tried to become actors, but five years or more working at it isn't unusual, although Penny's lack of jobs in the industry could be discouraging.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl
Hey, the statements here are all right on and make a lot of sense. It was your previous one that wasn't quite right and why I commented. I'm not sure how many people you know that have tried to become actors, but five years or more working at it isn't unusual, although Penny's lack of jobs in the industry could be discouraging.

Acting is hard. Even Jim himself has said in many interviews how many other jobs he had and how much time he was unemployed. Hence his joy on finding a stable job on TBBT. Jim was about 34 when he landed the job on TBBT, most of his previous work were some commercials and small roles.

The truth is, very few get to live off acting, and, at least according to what we see on the show, Penny is not especially talented, and while a pretty young blonde, there are thousands of pretty young blondes on the industry already.

I do think it is a good thing they had her go back to school, it is a start for her to shift her interest onto another carreer, on her finding satisfaction on another path that is not acting.

• 4 weeks later...

Penny could not be replaced, but another character could fit nicely in her place.  Of course the dynamics would change with a new female character, but it would not neccessarily ruin the show.  It would be a mistake to have a new character copy penny, but you could have a non-nerd girl befriend the guys and the two girls.  Maybe an athletic girl or a business lady.  It could work.  I, by no means, am saying that the character of Penny is not important or has little significance.  Just that I think the show could survive without her.  This is true for most of the other characters save for Leonard and Sheldon.  It all depends on the writing and the actors they get to replace the others.  I've used happy days as an example before.   The show lasted four more season without Ron Howard and Donnie Post.  Of course the show changed and had and brought new characters on the show, but it survied.  Of course the show was never as good as it was in earlier episodes, but the show hit it's "jump the shark moment" even with Ron Howard still in the cast.   TBBT could go on without penny, but I for one hope Kaley never leaves the show. 

I think the Show would have a significant demise if Penny left more so than Sheldon and on par with Leonard. The core of the show and the major story Arc is Penny and Leonard followed closely by social maturity of Sheldon. If you replace her the Romantic comedy portion will be destroyed. The 6 year accumulation of trust and affection by Sheldon would be gone. I do not think the general audience would be patient enough to see something like that rebuilt and they would be angry in by having their investment in the characters fractured. How could Leonard really love someone else etc. 

• Like 1

I think the Show would have a significant demise if Penny left more so than Sheldon and on par with Leonard. The core of the show and the major story Arc is Penny and Leonard followed closely by social maturity of Sheldon. If you replace her the Romantic comedy portion will be destroyed. The 6 year accumulation of trust and affection by Sheldon would be gone. I do not think the general audience would be patient enough to see something like that rebuilt and they would be angry in by having their investment in the characters fractured. How could Leonard really love someone else etc. 

Sir,

I would contend that if the New Girl could vacuum, dust and had a tertiary qualification she would be highly acceptable and indeed preferable.

NOT :)

• Like 1

Penny could not be replaced, but another character could fit nicely in her place.  Of course the dynamics would change with a new female character, but it would not neccessarily ruin the show.  It would be a mistake to have a new character copy penny, but you could have a non-nerd girl befriend the guys and the two girls.  Maybe an athletic girl or a business lady.  It could work.  I, by no means, am saying that the character of Penny is not important or has little significance.  Just that I think the show could survive without her.  This is true for most of the other characters save for Leonard and Sheldon.  It all depends on the writing and the actors they get to replace the others.  I've used happy days as an example before.   The show lasted four more season without Ron Howard and Donnie Post.  Of course the show changed and had and brought new characters on the show, but it survied.  Of course the show was never as good as it was in earlier episodes, but the show hit it's "jump the shark moment" even with Ron Howard still in the cast.   TBBT could go on without penny, but I for one hope Kaley never leaves the show. 

In a way Priya sounds like the new character you described and in the beginning she did have the hots for Leonard, but the fans never really accepted her, and wanted Leonard back with Penny. I think if Penny did leave it would diminish the show and I don't think her character can be replaced at the same level in the show.