If Penny got replaced or left the show.

@jmclean1982

I think the Show would have a significant demise if Penny left more so than Sheldon and on par with Leonard. The core of the show and the major story Arc is Penny and Leonard followed closely by social maturity of Sheldon. If you replace her the Romantic comedy portion will be destroyed. The 6 year accumulation of trust and affection by Sheldon would be gone. I do not think the general audience would be patient enough to see something like that rebuilt and they would be angry in by having their investment in the characters fractured. How could Leonard really love someone else etc. 

Pretty much this.  Replacing Penny would be like replacing Eric on T7S.  It takes a good portion of the audience out of the show.  Instead of watching the show we were thinking this guy is not Eric.

I think its more the fact that the penny character seems to have the largest gap in terms of those who like her vs those who don't. There are two very emotionally strong sides who have their own opinions on her character. And thus it generates a lot of back and forth on whether or not shed be missed.

Personally I don't think the show would be even close to the same without her, she just brings to much to the show. The primary premise of the show has always been the almost beauty and the beast love story between her and Leonard. To try and fill that space just wouldn't work... especially if they tried to turn into a love interest of Leonard. After his feelings for penny there's no real way to make that work

• Like 2

I agree with billf63 in that Penny is as irreplaceable as Sheldon and Leonard...the reasons you ask????.. glad you asked. Remember when the series first started Penny used the boys, as a pretty girls would when she wanted anything, but gradually evoloved to respecting the boys and in some cases protecting them from other predator females while also picking up nerd knowledge and seeing Leonard for the man inside the nerd. If you just replaced her with a non nerd pretty girl, then you would have to redevelope the character to bring her up to Pennys' current level, and this would need a couple of seasons...I dont think people would stay with the show if this occurance happened. I hope that answered the statement adequately.

Good points, C-Trayne. I would also like to add that many of the shows best and most memorable moments are the one on one scenes with Penny and Sheldon. The chemistry that Kaley and Jim have together is undeniable. You can't buy that kind of magic.

• Like 1

In a way Priya sounds like the new character you described and in the beginning she did have the hots for Leonard, but the fans never really accepted her, and wanted Leonard back with Penny. I think if Penny did leave it would diminish the show and I don't think her character can be replaced at the same level in the show.

You know, I never thought about Priya when I posted  my comments, but I see what you mean.  I agree that the show would be diminished if Penny left, but my point was that it would not have to kill the show altogether.  I think any that any of the main characters left there would be some type of loss.  But I still feel that it could still be  a top 10 show even if penny left.  I referenced Happy Days as an example of a show that, even after the quality goes downhill, it still can be entertaining and hold the ratings.  Another way to look at it is that even if Penny remains, the show could still slip.   There are not many shows in the history of television where the quality improves or even remains the same after five years.  Losing a character on any show is almost always tragic, but not always fatal.   Of course the show would feel the impact of the loss of penny, but I don't think she is as irreplacable as SHeldon and Leonard as some have suggested.   As I stated before, I by no means am trying to lesson Penny's importance of the show, just that it is possible to introduce a female to the show that would work for the show.

• 2 months later...

If Penny got replaced or left the show... it would change the atmosphere totally!

"Like Kaizen, quote: the show would not be the same without Penny, Sheldon or Leonard. The characters and actors themselves are untouchable."

And there would not be a Big Bang show as we know it at all!

Edited by wannamaker

You know, I never thought about Priya when I posted  my comments, but I see what you mean.  I agree that the show would be diminished if Penny left, but my point was that it would not have to kill the show altogether.  I think any that any of the main characters left there would be some type of loss.  But I still feel that it could still be  a top 10 show even if penny left.  I referenced Happy Days as an example of a show that, even after the quality goes downhill, it still can be entertaining and hold the ratings.  Another way to look at it is that even if Penny remains, the show could still slip.   There are not many shows in the history of television where the quality improves or even remains the same after five years.  Losing a character on any show is almost always tragic, but not always fatal.   Of course the show would feel the impact of the loss of penny, but I don't think she is as irreplacable as SHeldon and Leonard as some have suggested.   As I stated before, I by no means am trying to lesson Penny's importance of the show, just that it is possible to introduce a female to the show that would work for the show.

I would like to point out Alex too. She had the adorable quality like Penny and she works with Sheldon, plus she has a crush on Leonard. So she has the qualities needed for a Penny replacement, she already has a link with the guys and you can easily see her loving Leonard, but could she replace Penny? I think not.

• Like 1

I would like to point out Alex too. She had the adorable quality like Penny and she works with Sheldon, plus she has a crush on Leonard. So she has the qualities needed for a Penny replacement, she already has a link with the guys and you can easily see her loving Leonard, but could she replace Penny? I think not.

Yeah she's sweet but she doesn't have the humour.