The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbolt

Penny and Leonard

First I want to say I'm not against them but here's my view. In an interview with Chuck Lore he said he broke up Penny and Leonard before because they weren't ready for each other, but they haven't changed since when they first dated! So what's the difference?!? Exactly, its the same. If you're suppose to be the shows IT couple you should have really good chemistry and sparks and they lacked that either they're suppose to be boring and this is just who they are then fine, but Penny is an exciting and outgoing young woman especially when she interacts with others so if her relationship seems boring it must be the guy she's with and since Leonard has been in other relationships and has had similiar boringness with them as well so it must be him. Now if this is they way they're suppose to be fine but Leonard appears very dull and boring.

I understand what you're getting at, but what are your grounds for saying "dull and boring"? Just because he's a really smart, apparent introvert? His social skills definitely aren't crippled, and in the beginning he still had more guts to go up and talk to people than Sheldon, Howard, or Raj (or confront ex boyfriends for televisions).

I know a lot of smart people who I'd rather stay inside and chat with than go out to a bar with, or whatever, and it's a really good time. The part I see being the problem is Penny not having any interest in anything science/sci-fi or intellectual conversation, but I can see them kinda growing together over time. There have been snippets of her saying things that have surprised them all, like her explaining Sheldon's seat on the couch, saying, "Kirk cheated," and explaining the "shields." and come on, Leonard knows who the Black Eyed Peas are now.

Really, I don't know what I'm getting at. I just don't think Leonard is boring at all. In fact, I think Penny is more boring than Leonard!

I understand what you're getting at, but what are your grounds for saying "dull and boring"? Just because he's a really smart, apparent introvert? His social skills definitely aren't crippled, and in the beginning he still had more guts to go up and talk to people than Sheldon, Howard, or Raj (or confront ex boyfriends for televisions).

I know a lot of smart people who I'd rather stay inside and chat with than go out to a bar with, or whatever, and it's a really good time. The part I see being the problem is Penny not having any interest in anything science/sci-fi or intellectual conversation, but I can see them kinda growing together over time. There have been snippets of her saying things that have surprised them all, like her explaining Sheldon's seat on the couch, saying, "Kirk cheated," and explaining the "shields." and come on, Leonard knows who the Black Eyed Peas are now.

Really, I don't know what I'm getting at. I just don't think Leonard is boring at all. In fact, I think Penny is more boring than Leonard!

I'm not saying he's dull because he smart but the others don't appear to be, if you look at her scenes with others and then him something is missing, now it was bound to penny to pick up something sci fi/comic book reference I agree she's appears to be boring but that's the fact that they don't really write much for her yet she's suppose to be the female lead, I'm not saying he's boring because he doesn't go out even though the beginning he did, I don't know if they're just boring together that's fine in real life not sure if it's okay in a sitcom, it's just the way I view his scenes and interactions and my view might be different than someone who says that's the typical nerd so it's just how I see it.

He did go see all those Sandra Bullock movies, and watch five seasons of Sex in the City with her. They have both tried to accept things the other likes. Maybe she tries harder, maybe he does. I don't think they make a great couple but they clearly care for one another on more than a friendship level. The first time they kissed, Penny said the cat was alive. The spark is there.

I am so sick hearing about Penny & Leonard! They need to move these characters on. And in what Universe would two woman like Penny and Pria both want a someone like Leonard??

I think they need to bring Pennys old boy friend back, Zak! He was great and fit right in with the bunch. Zak and Penny, Howard and Bernadette, Leonard and Leslie and maybe Sheldon and Leonards Mother? Pria can go back to India for now. Raj is still looking.

I am so sick hearing about Penny & Leonard! They need to move these characters on. And in what Universe would two woman like Penny and Pria both want a someone like Leonard??

I think they need to bring Pennys old boy friend back, Zak! He was great and fit right in with the bunch. Zak and Penny, Howard and Bernadette, Leonard and Leslie and maybe Sheldon and Leonards Mother? Pria can go back to India for now. Raj is still looking.

Priya is thankfully gone. Zak is too stupid for modern Penny. She can't stand to be around him. If they give up on Leonard and Penny they will have to find her someone new. A not so stupid guy.

Sheldon and Leonard's mother would be no different than Sheldon and Amy. Beverly has shown that she also has the same desires that Amy does. It may only surface when she drinks but it is there. Leslie is also gone.

He did go see all those Sandra Bullock movies, and watch five seasons of Sex in the City with her. They have both tried to accept things the other likes. Maybe she tries harder, maybe he does. I don't think they make a great couple but they clearly care for one another on more than a friendship level. The first time they kissed, Penny said the cat was alive. The spark is there.

Yeah he saw the movies because he thought it would lead to sex, I believe he tries to hard evidence says so, just because the kiss is good doesn't mean everything else works.

Welcome to sitcom where only a young woman that looks like penny would be interested in someone that looks like Leonard.

Priya is thankfully gone. Zak is too stupid for modern Penny. She can't stand to be around him. If they give up on Leonard and Penny they will have to find her someone new. A not so stupid guy.

Sheldon and Leonard's mother would be no different than Sheldon and Amy. Beverly has shown that she also has the same desires that Amy does. It may only surface when she drinks but it is there. Leslie is also gone.

If they were threw with Leonard and penny they would have to put her with a smart guy, she doesn't want to be with that type anymore especially after all the time she's spent with the guys.

Yeah he saw the movies because he thought it would lead to sex, I believe he tries to hard evidence says so, just because the kiss is good doesn't mean everything else works.

Welcome to sitcom where only a young woman that looks like penny would be interested in someone that looks like Leonard.

If they were threw with Leonard and penny they would have to put her with a smart guy, she doesn't want to be with that type anymore especially after all the time she's spent with the guys.

You point out that only in a sitcom would a woman that looks like Penny be interested in a man that looks like Leonard. Maybe you are right. That could be why their relationship is one of the basic tenets of this show. It is good comedic fodder.

I guess whether Penny is too hot for Leonard or not, is pretty much the premise of the show! The nerd and the pretty neighbour, can they make it work? They have little in common but they are the two most socially mature characters. There's proper communication between them. They may not always get it right but there's something there.

I guess whether Penny is too hot for Leonard or not, is pretty much the premise of the show! The nerd and the pretty neighbour, can they make it work? They have little in common but they are the two more socially mature characters. There's proper communication between them. They may not always get it right but there's something there.

Well you just pointed out why they shouldn't be together.

I guess whether Penny is too hot for Leonard or not, is pretty much the premise of the show! The nerd and the pretty neighbour, can they make it work? They have little in common but they are the two more socially mature characters. There's proper communication between them. They may not always get it right but there's something there.

Erm, I'm pretty sure I didn't ...but anyways...

Erm, I'm pretty sure I didn't ...but anyways...

Actually you did maybe you didn't but you did, a pretty neighbor and a nerd who have little in common with no overlapping interests.

Leonard and Penny are mature adults in comparison to the others. This is what they have in common and it's what makes them drawn to each other. I know you would prefer Penny to dump him and go out with a significantly less emotionally mature, member of the cast :icon_wink: but would that really work?

Leonard and Penny are mature adults in comparison to the others. This is what they have in common and it's what makes them drawn to each other. I know you would prefer Penny to dump him and go out with a significantly less emotionally mature, member of the cast :icon_wink: but would that really work?

I wouldn't call Leonard emontionally mature, Lorre said he broke them up because they weren't ready yet nothing has changed between the two what's different? Nothing. We don't know if she dated someone else would it work since it hasn't happened and I suspect at somepoint if it's just one date she might date one of the others.

I wouldn't call Leonard emontionally mature, Lorre said he broke them up because they weren't ready yet nothing has changed between the two what's different? Nothing. We don't know if she dated someone else would it work since it hasn't happened and I suspect at somepoint if it's just one date she might date one of the others.

One of the others? Who? Howard is taken, and she doesn't like him anyway. Raj cannot talk to her. Sheldon is much less mature than Leonard and sees her as inferior on many levels. He mocks her just as he does Howard.

If they bring in someone else for her to date then people will complain about the addition of yet another character to share time with.

Next thing someone will suggest is that they write Leonard out of the show to free up Penny to date someone else. Except then someone will say they should write Penny out because she isn't important anyway. Oh, wait! They're both under contract for millions of dollars. Looks like they both have to stay. Maybe they'll just have them keep dating each other. Particularly since that relationship has been a theme for almost five seasons.

One of the others? Who? Howard is taken, and she doesn't like him anyway. Raj cannot talk to her. Sheldon is much less mature than Leonard and sees her as inferior on many levels. He mocks her just as he does Howard.

If they bring in someone else for her to date then people will complain about the addition of yet another character to share time with.

Next thing someone will suggest is that they write Leonard out of the show to free up Penny to date someone else. Except then someone will say they should write Penny out because she isn't important anyway. Oh, wait! They're both under contract for millions of dollars. Looks like they both have to stay. Maybe they'll just have them keep dating each other. Particularly since that relationship has been a theme for almost five seasons.

Someone else = Sheldon.

And I know.... it's very puzzling.

Did I say to write out Leonard? No. Did I say to move on from penny and Leonard?No. Did I say to bring in another guy for penny just because she isn't dating Leonard? No.

I'm sure there has been shows were the main couple isn't working out and decided to turn the page I'm not suggesting this. Lorre broke them up the first time (even though the first time was a joke) because they weren't ready yet nothing has changed. Name a show that a girl is friends with 4 guys and she doesn't at least date at least two of them?

Did I say to write out Leonard? No. Did I say to move on from penny and Leonard?No. Did I say to bring in another guy for penny just because she isn't dating Leonard? No.

I'm sure there has been shows were the main couple isn't working out and decided to turn the page I'm not suggesting this. Lorre broke them up the first time (even though the first time was a joke) because they weren't ready yet nothing has changed. Name a show that a girl is friends with 4 guys and she doesn't at least date at least two of them?

Nobody said that you said anything. You suggested she date one of the others. Again, who? She would never date Howard or Raj. Sheldon? There are more problems with that idea than there is space to write about. Most importantly, he looks upon her as his inferior. She thinks he is crazy and condescending. The remainder of my comments were based upon things that other people have suggested. Not responding directly to your post.

As for a show where a girl is friends with four guys and how many she dates, I have no idea if it has happened or not. But then again, there has never been a show where the girl is friends with four guys like these.

I didn't say for her to date all the guys I'm just saying don't just assume penny either is dating or single, no one saw raj coming and Sheldon looks at everyone as his inferior.

@HeWolf

You'll find a few fans on here who fancy the idea of those two together. And cbolt is on a one man mission to make it happen! Hence the threadage.

What puzzles me is why Penny would want to date Sheldon for in the first place? If Leonard isn't good enough, what makes Sheldon the prize?

@HeWolf

You'll find a few fans on here who fancy the idea of those two together. And cbolt is on a one man mission to make it happen! Hence the threadage.

What puzzles me is why Penny would want to date Sheldon for in the first place? If Leonard isn't good enough, what makes Sheldon the prize?

Yeah, I have figured out that some folks think Penny and Sheldon would make some sort of dream couple. If cbolt wants to make it happen then at least the group has a spokesman.

Penny would have to be as crazy as Sheldon to ever go out with him...

A true believer! Who knows? Maybe Sheldon will lose 50 IQ points tumbling down the stairs. We have 2 seasons ahead… :icon_razz:

@HeWolf

I never said anything about them being a couple, as for why? Well why is penny friends with Sheldon? Remember he did ask her out even if he wasn't serious. All I'm saying is I am not saying penny and Leonard should or shouldn't be together, but what I am saying is they are boring together and Lorre said he broke them because they weren't ready yet nothing has changed between them they're still the same the writing for them is still the same why would it be different this time?

@HeWolf

I never said anything about them being a couple, as for why? Well why is penny friends with Sheldon? Remember he did ask her out even if he wasn't serious. All I'm saying is I am not saying penny and Leonard should or shouldn't be together, but what I am saying is they are boring together and Lorre said he broke them because they weren't ready yet nothing has changed between them they're still the same the writing for them is still the same why would it be different this time?

I'm not sure how different they are as it relates to their relationship. They seem to be moving in slow steps and it isn't clear how well it may or may not work. I do think Leonard has changed post-Priya. He is less desparate and nowhere near as clingy. Penny is a lot different than she was in seasons one through three. Almost unrecognizable from season one, and a better match for Leonard now. Will it work this time? I don't know.

I think that Sheldon being with any halfway normal girls would be a disaster. This Sheldon we're talking about. Has Sheldon ever shown the least bit of concern for anyone else? How long would Penny go with someone who could care less what she thinks or does? I don't think so.