The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbolt

Penny and Leonard

I don't know if it's the actors since they dated in real life trying to hard but I would think they could seperate these two but p/l lack everything to be a great or even good couple not sure if it's the actors or something else bu they lack chemistry together.

I've seen shows where the on screen couple either are or at one time were together on and off the screen and on screen they didn't like on screen chemistry.

Having just discovered the show a couple of months ago, I had no idea that Kaley and Johnny dated IRL! But that could explain why some of us just aren't seeing any spark between Penny & Leonard on screen. I've also heard plenty of actors/directors/producers comment about how no one ever knows when the on-screen chemistry will be there - it's often a crapshoot. It must be frustrating to plan story arcs around a couple, only to have the chemistry fizzle.

Well then the obvious answer is that Leonard has no business dating Penny and she has no business dating him. He can go back to the smart, educated, good looking MD or the smart, educated, good looking lawyer, and Penny can go back to Zach or one of his clones.

I don't know if it's the actors since they dated in real life trying to hard but I would think they could seperate these two but p/l lack everything to be a great or even good couple not sure if it's the actors or something else bu they lack chemistry together.

I've seen shows where the on screen couple either are or at one time were together on and off the screen and on screen they didn't like on screen chemistry.

Having just discovered the show a couple of months ago, I had no idea that Kaley and Johnny dated IRL! But that could explain why some of us just aren't seeing any spark between Penny & Leonard on screen. I've also heard plenty of actors/directors/producers comment about how no one ever knows when the on-screen chemistry will be there - it's often a crapshoot. It must be frustrating to plan story arcs around a couple, only to have the chemistry fizzle.

I don't know if the producers had a idea of who the couple would be if they did, did Kaley and Johnny do a scene together at the audition or was it seperate or maybe they just picked the best penny, Sheldon, Leonard and so on, It does that they're suppose to be this great couple and it's just not there, I'm not sure when they first got together if Kaley and Johnny down played it because they were a couple in real life and keeping it a secret or i just hope this wasn't there chemistry off screen if so then we know why it didn't work, but both work great with the others but together it's a dud.

It's like buying a new car but something is always wrong with it.

Well then the obvious answer is that Leonard has no business dating Penny and she has no business dating him. He can go back to the smart, educated, good looking MD or the smart, educated, good looking lawyer, and Penny can go back to Zach or one of his clones.

Based on a obesrvation of watching the show yeah except penny doesn't want to date that type again.

Or Leonard could just continue to develop his friendships while focusing on his work, and eventually make the sort of big breakthrough that would earn him the validation he seeks. And Penny could forget dating for awhile and focus either on going back to school or continuing to develop her Penny Blossoms business, and eventually learn to stand on her own two feet and to value herself other than as the "hot chick" on some guy's arm.

THEN, I could probably buy the two of them together.

Or Leonard could just continue to develop his friendships while focusing on his work, and eventually make the sort of big breakthrough that would earn him the validation he seeks. And Penny could forget dating for awhile and focus either on going back to school or continuing to develop her Penny Blossoms business, and eventually learn to stand on her own two feet and to value herself other than as the "hot chick" on some guy's arm.

THEN, I could probably buy the two of them together.

Leonard could also take Sheldon's advice and do some orginal work.

I agree. But I have to wonder if Leonard has what it takes to do it. Perhaps he sticks to duplicating the work of others because his ego is too fragile to handle peer review and criticism of his ideas and theories?

I agree. But I have to wonder if Leonard has what it takes to do it. Perhaps he sticks to duplicating the work of others because his ego is too fragile to handle peer review and criticism of his ideas and theories?

I doubt he could handle the rejection of his orginal work not being good enough, plus you kind of have to have an ego or arrogance like Sheldon, plus he values others opinion of him.

Leonard seems to be doing all right as it is. He has a Phd and works at one of the top Universities in the Country. As far as Sheldon's criticisms goes, he thinks that he is the only one in the World who does original or important work. They even had him criticizing a guy who won the Nobel Prize in Physics.

Frankly I don't see Leonard dating Penny period for any long term. They are too mismatched. He needs someone highly educated and she needs someone who likes to drink more.

Leonard seems to be doing all right as it is. He has a Phd and works at one of the top Universities in the Country. As far as Sheldon's criticisms goes, he thinks that he is the only one in the World who does original or important work. They even had him criticizing a guy who won the Nobel Prize in Physics.

Frankly I don't see Leonard dating Penny period for any long term. They are too mismatched. He needs someone highly educated and she needs someone who likes to drink more.

Well i don't remember leonard getting any achievements like the others, plus penny needs to date someone who has some similar interests and smart since she won't go back to dumb guys.

I wasn't thinking of Sheldon's criticisms exactly, but rather the peer review that all scientific articles/theories have to go through before being accepted. You put something original out there and then have to defend it against dozens of brilliant minds, many of whom are jealous that they didn't think of it first and all of whom are competing for the same future funding, who try to tear it apart. Sheldon's super-sized ego is tailor-made to withstand the process; Leonard's is not.

So, yes, Leonard is doing "all right" as it is, but he is caught in a pretty sad chicken/egg situation, when you think about it. He craves the sort of external validation that would come from original research, yet he's too afraid to pursue it (and probably couldn't handle the fallout, even if he did try it). And then to live with someone like Sheldon whose "beautiful mind" only underscores Leonard's deficiency ... I actually feel sorry for the guy.

And while we're on the subject, I feel sorry for Sheldon, too, having a "best friend" like Leonard who seems to take pleasure in Sheldon's failures and even encourages others to mock him.

(When you think about it, I'm not sure there's a healthy relationship on the entire show, LOL!)

I wasn't thinking of Sheldon's criticisms exactly, but rather the peer review that all scientific articles/theories have to go through before being accepted. You put something original out there and then have to defend it against dozens of brilliant minds, many of whom are jealous that they didn't think of it first and all of whom are competing for the same future funding, who try to tear it apart. Sheldon's super-sized ego is tailor-made to withstand the process; Leonard's is not.

So, yes, Leonard is doing "all right" as it is, but he is caught in a pretty sad chicken/egg situation, when you think about it. He craves the sort of external validation that would come from original research, yet he's too afraid to pursue it (and probably couldn't handle the fallout, even if he did try it). And then to live with someone like Sheldon whose "beautiful mind" only underscores Leonard's deficiency ... I actually feel sorry for the guy.

And while we're on the subject, I feel sorry for Sheldon, too, having a "best friend" like Leonard who seems to take pleasure in Sheldon's failures and even encourages others to mock him.

(When you think about it, I'm not sure there's a healthy relationship on the entire show, LOL!)

I agree i'm not sure there's a healthy relationship romantic or friendship, for people that got bullied in school and growing up they can be bullies themselves. And the only time currently Penny seems to be really happy is with Leonard and the only time Leonard is happy is with Penny and that's not very healthy.

As for Leonard you're a scientist and your goal is to have all these achievements and what not i'm pretty sure "doing all right' is what he had in mind.

Riiigggghhhhhttttt. Because most really smart guys are just dying to hook up with a waitress at a restaurant for a long term relationship. That's where all of the smart guys go to pick up their future wives. Bernadette was a waitress there while she worked on her Phd, but I'm sure that someday Penny's butt cream commercial will finally pay off and she will hit the big time. Maybe something in the bladder control field. She Bernadette, and Amy, all went out to go bar hopping and find a guy to bed and bite on the butt before they showed him the door, do you think that guy was real smart?

As for Leonard not "getting any a achievements" your phrase, not mine, he did get that contract with the military to test whether laser beams could be used to shoot down missiles. Getting a military contract for research for the University is the kind of an achievement that Universities and other organizations love.

Riiigggghhhhhttttt. Because most really smart guys are just dying to hook up with a waitress at a restaurant for a long term relationship. That's were all of the smart guys go to pick up their future wives. Bernadette was a waitress there while she worked on her Phd, but I'm sure that someday Penny's butt cream commercial will finally pay off and she will hit the big time. Maybe something in the bladder control field. She Bernadette, and Amy, all went out to go bar hopping and find a guy to bed and bite on the butt before they showed him the door, do you think that guy was real smart?

As for Leonard not "getting any a achievements" your phrase, not mine, he did get that contract with the military to test whether laser beams could be used to shoot down missiles. Getting a military contract for research for the University is the kind of an achievement that Universities and other organizations love.

Oh please that's the way girls talk too each other and half of it is is just talk.

yeah one achievement to the guys how many?

So girls talk that way about picking up guys then go get dresses and head out to the bars, but they really aren't planning on getting hammered and picking up some guys like they said? Wow, who knew?

So how many "achievements" do they have to achieve? It's not an achievement to to earn a Phd? Howard doesn't have one. It's not an achievement to work at one of the nation's top Universities as a researcher? And just how many achievements has Sheldon made? He got that one from the University where he got drunk and mooned the audience. Then they sent him to the North Pool to prove his theory, which he didn't. That's a big one. Howard made a space toilet that didn't work. That's pretty cool. He drove the Mars rover into a ditch to impress a girl. He can put that one on his resume. So just how is it that Leonard is somehow a failure?

Leonard could be a grade school science teacher and he would still be out of Penny's league. Maybe if he worked on his bonging beers he might be more attractive to her.

It's amazing that Sheldon has a friend period. Leonard doesn't need to encourage others to mock Sheldon, he does it all by himself through his actions. Have you ever heard Sheldon say that someone else has done a good job on anything work related?

So girls talk that way about picking up guys then go get dresses and head out to the bars, but they really aren't planning on getting hammered and picking up some guys like they said? Wow, who knew?

So how many "achievements" do they have to achieve? It's not an achievement to to earn a Phd? Howard doesn't have one. It's not an achievement to work at one of the nation's top Universities as a researcher? And just how many achievements has Sheldon made? He got that one from the University where he got drunk and mooned the audience. Then they sent him to the North Pool to prove his theory, which he didn't. That's a big one. Howard made a space toilet that didn't work. That's pretty cool. He drove the Mars rover into a ditch to impress a girl. He can put that one on his resume. So just how is it that Leonard is somehow a failure?

Leonard could be a grade school science teacher and he would still be out of Penny's league. Maybe if he worked on his bonging beers he might be more attractive to her.

For one if you go out with your buddies at a bar how much of what they say is all talk.

Considering just about every physicist probably has a phd probably isn't that big a deal. What has Leonard actually researched? Well, Sheldon stated college at 11 so that's an achievement he probably was half way to his phd before Leonard graduate High school. If it wasn't for Leonard maybe Sheldon does discover something in the North pole. Let's see Howard is in space training right now so yeah that's pretty cool. I never said Leonard is a failure just that he really hasn't achieved much.

First of all Penny's out of Leonard's league okay, she's his dream girl not the other way around, no he wouldn't if he was a grade school teacher, maybe if he got a make over, get off her drinking so she has a couple drinks big deal.

If Leonard is "so great" then why does Leonard want to be with the "dumb blond" then, she might not have a degree doesn't mean she isn't smart not the guys smart but smart on a different level.

My take on this is if Chuck and Bill thought J/K had no chemistry and that L/P was so unpopular why would they have rekindled the L/P romantic storyline and do it on the 100th episode? Because in fact they and many of the fans of TBBT see the chemistry of J/K thru L/P. The audiences at tapings give loud cheers when L/P kiss in scenes are regularly told to quiet it down so they can finish taping the scenes.

A show is never going to please everyone with respect to how they develope storylines for every character and which characters all the fans think work best with who. It's all subjective, I know some of the fans of TBBT don't see the romantic chemistry or think L/P are boring and have stated so on this site and others as well. But what you need to realize is that there are many of us that do see the romantic chemistry and enjoy watching L/P interact with each other.

The L/P dynamic is what made me a fan of the show. I also enjoy L/S and L/P/S as well. S/P scenes are also good but I see their relationship as a brother/sister to friendship dynamic but that's not the topic of this thread.

Not every physicist has a Phd. It is one of the most difficult degrees to get. Some other achievements that Leonard has accomplished are:

1) He pays his rent on time.

2) He can pay for his own food

3) He can pay for his own wi-fi

4)His credit cards aren't maxed out

5) He can afford the crap he buys.

Why does he want to be with the dumb blond? Because he is thinking with something besides his brain. Do you think he would be anything more then polite to Penny if she wasn't hot? Just how long do you think she is going to be hot sucking up the booze like she does? A couple of drinks? They don't show her taking a couple of drinks, they show her wasted all of the time. Leonard is way out of her league for any type of a long term relationship. If God help him he ever made the huge mistake of marrying her is can kiss his career good bye. She would be an embarrassment. Just what any career minded person needs for a spouse, a lush.

My take on this is if Chuck and Bill thought J/K had no chemistry and that L/P was so unpopular why would they have rekindled the L/P romantic storyline and do it on the 100th episode? Because in fact they and many of the fans of TBBT see the chemistry of J/K thru L/P. The audiences at tapings give loud cheers when L/P kiss in scenes are regularly told to quiet it down so they can finish taping the scenes.

A show is never going to please everyone with respect to how they develop storylines for every character and which characters all the fans think work best with who. It's all subjective, I know some of the fans of TBBT don't see the romantic chemistry or think L/P are boring and have stated so on this site and others as well. But what you need to realize is that there are many of us that do see the romantic chemistry and enjoy watching L/P interact with each other.

The L/P dynamic is what made me a fan of the show. I also enjoy L/S and L/P/S as well. S/P scenes are also good but I see their relationship as a brother/sister to friendship dynamic but that's not the topic of this thread.

Well, not every fan understands chemistry nore do they take it seriously, sorry but there's nothing there well if they thought j/k or l/p were so great then why did lorre say they weren't ready yet the second time around nothing has changed that much. Watch other shows and compare l/p and you'll see a difference.As why they got them back is because they're popular the reason for the cheers during tapping is because they are popular.

Not every physicist has a Phd. It is one of the most difficult degrees to get. Some other achievements that Leonard has accomplished are:

1) He pays his rent on time.

2) He can pay for his own food

3) He can pay for his own wi-fi

4)His credit cards aren't maxed out

5) He can afford the crap he buys.

Why does he want to be with the dumb blond? Because he is thinking with something besides his brain. Do you think he would be anything more then polite to Penny if she wasn't hot? Just how long do you think she is going to be hot sucking up the booze like she does? A couple of drinks? They don't show her taking a couple of drinks, they show her wasted all of the time. Leonard is way out of her league for any type of a long term relationship. If God help him he ever made the huge mistake of marrying her is can kiss his career good bye. She would be an embarrassment. Just what any career minded person needs for a spouse, a lush.

We get Leonard is so great blah blah blah and penny is not blah blah blah. Sorry you must be delusional under no circumstances is a hot chick out of a nerd's league. For one Penny would not embarrassment he shows up with a hot blonde wife might help him, would penny want anything to do with a guy like Leonard if he wasn't nice or smart?

Being nice or smart is part of a persons character and rarely changes. If you are a hot lush, being hot is fleeting. With the passing of years Penny will quickly become less hot. Taking a drunk to a career oriented function is likely to turn out embarrassing no matter how hot they are. Believe it or not many adults do not find anything attractive or endearing about a drunk. In addition in a University faculty setting, being uneducated can also be an embarrassment although there will always be some leches who want to get in her pants whether she is married or not.

It's amazing that Sheldon has a friend period. Leonard doesn't need to encourage others to mock Sheldon, he does it all by himself through his actions. Have you ever heard Sheldon say that someone else has done a good job on anything work related?

No, but that's just Sheldon being Sheldon. Your comments suggest you, like the characters on the show, see his behavior as a conscious choice -- he acts like a dick-tator because he wants to -- whereas I don't. I see it as a pretty sad result of growing up with a super-high IQ. All children are "me, me, me" until they start wanting to socialize with others, at which time most learn that others don't respond well to that sort of attitude. From what we've seen so far, Sheldon's interactions as a child with his siblings and other kids his own age were mostly negative. His advanced placement in school also meant that he would have spent most of his time with people who were far more emotionally developed (and some of whom probably shared Sheldon's social awkwardness for the same reasons), and who therefore could not provide the right conditions for developing normal social skills.

I guess I sympathize with Sheldon in part because of my own difficulty in social interactions, which I attribute to having started school a year early and then skipping just 1 grade. I can only imagine what being 6 or 7 years ahead would do to you.

Being nice or smart is part of a persons character and rarely changes. If you are a hot lush, being hot is fleeting. With the passing of years Penny will quickly become less hot. Taking a drunk to a career oriented function is likely to turn out embarrassing no matter how hot they are. Believe it or not many adults do not find anything attractive or endearing about a drunk. In addition in a University faculty setting, being uneducated can also be an embarrassment although there will always be some leches who want to get in her pants whether she is married or not.

for one she's not a lush and there's more to penny than her looks

No, but that's just Sheldon being Sheldon. Your comments suggest you, like the characters on the show, see his behavior as a conscious choice -- he acts like a dick-tator because he wants to -- whereas I don't. I see it as a pretty sad result of growing up with a super-high IQ. All children are "me, me, me" until they start wanting to socialize with others, at which time most learn that others don't respond well to that sort of attitude. From what we've seen so far, Sheldon's interactions as a child with his siblings and other kids his own age were mostly negative. His advanced placement in school also meant that he would have spent most of his time with people who were far more emotionally developed (and some of whom probably shared Sheldon's social awkwardness for the same reasons), and who therefore could not provide the right conditions for developing normal social skills.

I guess I sympathize with Sheldon in part because of my own difficulty in social interactions, which I attribute to having started school a year early and then skipping just 1 grade. I can only imagine what being 6 or 7 years ahead would do to you.

Until he started working at cal tech he was surrounded by people much older than him.

Regardless of whether it is intentional or not, and he has been called on his behavior enough times that he has to have some idea that he what he is doing is wrong, he is still lucky that anyone wants to have anything to do with him. Excusing bad behavior just promotes more bad behavior.

"for one she's not a lush and there's more to penny than her looks"

Yes, she is a lush. Someone who gets as drunk as often as she does and who does stupid things like she does when drunk is a lush.

Yes there is more to Penny then her looks just as there is more to someone then their height. But when the most dominant feature that people such as yourself keep mentioning about a person is their looks or height, then it is only right to question what happens when they no longer have their looks?

In your opinion there's nothing their but in my opinion there is.

I have watched other shows and TBBT is the only one that has grabbed my total loyal attention. No other pairing on television has my loyalty except L/P.

L/P is popular because a lot of fans see their romantic chemistry.

Penny bashing? You do realize that the only reason that I bash Penny is because you were so insistent on bashing Leonard, and I don't particularly care for the character? Besides, Penny is a very easy character to bash. She is portrayed as someone who drinks entirely too much, does some really stupid things because of it, and uses her looks to take advantage of the knuckleheads next door. They are idiots for putting up with it and she is a parasite for using her looks to take advantage of them. She may be a basically nice person with some flaws, but she does have some major character flaws.

I believe that I will continue to bash Penny because it's fun, it's easy (sort of like Penny, right?), and some people who have the hots for her get so bent out of shape about it.