The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbolt

Penny and Amy

I know what Amy gets from the relationship but what does Penny get out of being Amy's friend?

lol... horrible paintings and lots of sexual innuendo ??

Penny definitely draws the short straw on this friendship.

Perhaps she gets the joy that comes from befriending someone without giving thought to getting anything out of it.

In some ways, Penny is to Amy the same thing that Penny is to Sheldon. There is no reason for Penny to be friends with any of these characters. They lack common interests. They do not enjoy the same things. They do not share a common background. Socially, they are from completely different worlds.

This is also one of the fundamental tenets of the show. The interaction of the more worldwise Penny with the socially dysfunctional brainiacs.

It's sort of obvious to me too. Someone who hangs off your every word, sticks up for you and thinks the sun shines out of your backside. It has to be flattering. Penny has sympathy for Amy. This is a new experience for her, she didn't have nerd friends at school. I think she's intrigued and likes to help.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

since when did friendship mean convenience? true friendship is being friends just for the sake of friendship and not expeting things in return IMO at least

Was Penny ever given the choice to be Amy's friend? I think Amy more or less forced herself onto Penny and the friendship (or whatever the hell this is) stuck.

Was Penny ever given the choice to be Amy's friend? I think Amy more or less forced herself onto Penny and the friendship (or whatever the hell this is) stuck.

That sums it up pretty well. Good assessment!

No she wasn't given a choice that's why I asked, Amy forced herself onto Penny and self proclaimed herself Penny's "bestie" even though it would more likely be Bernadette.

Yeah, but Penny did eventually warmed up to Amy and invites her to her house, to the girls nights, to go out. Amy did proclame Penny to be her best friend, but Penny slowly did grew fond of Amy and went along with their friendship.Penny has said so herself, she does care a lot about Amy.

And regarding what Penny gets from Amy's friendship.. she gets a true friend, someone to talk to and someone to help her.. Remember the season premiere? Amy was the only one there for Penny, she listened to her, conforted her and gave her refuge on her own house at Penny's request. When Penny broke down to cry over Leonard dating Priya.. who was there for Penny? Amy... the guys are also their friends and so is Bernadette, but Amy is the one always there to confort Penny, not them.

Yeah, but Penny did eventually warmed up to Amy and invites her to her house, to the girls nights, to go out. Amy did proclame Penny to be her best friend, but Penny slowly did grew fond of Amy and went along with their friendship.Penny has said so herself, she does care a lot about Amy.

And regarding what Penny gets from Amy's friendship.. she gets a true friend, someone to talk to and someone to help her.. Remember the season premiere? Amy was the only one there for Penny, she listened to her, conforted her and gave her refuge on her own house at Penny's request. When Penny broke down to cry over Leonard dating Priya.. who was there for Penny? Amy... the guys are also their friends and so is Bernadette, but Amy is the one always there to confort Penny, not them.

That's because she doesn't want to her amy's feelings:

and why she doesn't hurt her feelings? because she cares about Amy... Penny values Amy a lot as a friend. she says so herself. She got upset at Sheldon when he hurt Amy's feelings, and she went with him to get her a gift so they could make up because she cares about Amy and about Sheldon too.

I mean, get over it, they are friends, they both care about the other. Sure, Amy is much more inmature and childish (and sometimes weird) about their friendship but that doesn't make it less valuable or any less genuine and Penny sees that. Amy is not perfect, neither is Penny, but they are always there for the other, and that's what friendship is. Accepting the other person, and caring with their flaws included. And to be honest, I find refreshing to see a friendship like theirs on TV, where they are not backstabbing each other for men, talking bs about the other behind their backs or just pretending to be friends to get some sort of benefit. That is very rare on tv nowadays and is why I love their dynamics.

I mean, I get that you don't like Amy, and that you don't like their interactions, but denying that they are friends and that they both care about the other, sounds like you are watching another show. Admit you don't like it, but denyingt that Penny also considers Amy her friend is being blind to what the show is telling us.

and why she doesn't hurt her feelings? because she cares about Amy... Penny values Amy a lot as a friend. she says so herself. She got upset at Sheldon when he hurt Amy's feelings, and she went with him to get her a gift so they could make up because she cares about Amy and about Sheldon too.

I mean, get over it, they are friends, they both care about the other. Sure, Amy is much more inmature and childish (and sometimes weird) about their friendship but that doesn't make it less valuable or any less genuine and Penny sees that. Amy is not perfect, neither is Penny, but they are always there for the other, and that's what friendship is. Accepting the other person, and caring with their flaws included. And to be honest, I find refreshing to see a friendship like theirs on TV, where they are not backstabbing each other for men, talking bs about the other behind their backs or just pretending to be friends to get some sort of benefit. That is very rare on tv nowadays and is why I love their dynamics.

I mean, I get that you don't like Amy, and that you don't like their interactions, but denying that they are friends and that they both care about the other, sounds like you are watching another show. Admit you don't like it, but denyingt that Penny also considers Amy her friend is being blind to what the show is telling us.

You obviously didn't get what I'm saying, Amy forced herself to be her friend and yeah she invited her over with Bernadette so she wouldn't hurt her feelings doesn't mean she cared about her and probably wanted to get to know her. Just because they're friends doesn't mean they have this special bond. Yeah she was there for Penny with the priya thing yeah but it was more of a let's see what's going on in your brain so I use this as research and it's not like Amy was the only one there or that Amy just showed because she knew penny is upset.

What I see right now is a one sided friendship where one makes crude comments and the is uncomfortable, I never said I didn't like Amy i just don't like this version or whatever you want to call it.

amy sees penny as one of the cool kids who shunned her as a child so hanging out with penny finally gives amy that belief that she is cool. penny get someone who does care for her though sometimes the way she expresses her feelings do creep her out plus amy has a habit of telling penny the truth no matter how unplesant that might be

Well Sheldon tells her the truth as well, but all the guys feel that way about penny being the cool kid except Sheldon who started college at 11.

It's sort of obvious to me too. Someone who hangs off your every word, sticks up for you and thinks the sun shines out of your backside. It has to be flattering. Penny has sympathy for Amy. This is a new experience for her, she didn't have nerd friends at school. I think she's intrigued and likes to help.

This. Plus she's got used to the paradigm of being close and friendly with socially awkward nerds, after her 4 years with the guys.

GREAT TO SEE NO CRUDE COMMENTS FROM AMY.

PENNY IS GOOD GIRLFREIND, WOULD NOT HELP SHELDON

TO GET OUT OF THE PARTY. DID HELP AMY PUT SHAME ON

TO SHELDON FOR NOT GOING TO PARTY.

ive seen many peeps on here comment on amy making crude comments and inappropriate advances towards penny.

i disagree and frankly i like this dynamic. y'alls homophobes.

ive seen many peeps on here comment on amy making crude comments and inappropriate advances towards penny.

No one is the homophobe, but when a hetrosexual female penny has never given another hetrosexual(I think) female Amy anything to make her think she's interested like it is inappropriate, so amy's comments you can trim any hair on my body, the panting originally was us nude, and comment about showering together plus there's many more how is that okay?

No one is the homophobe, but when a hetrosexual female penny has never given another hetrosexual(I think) female Amy anything to make her think she's interested like it is inappropriate, so amy's comments you can trim any hair on my body, the panting originally was us nude, and comment about showering together plus there's many more how is that okay?

because its a joke. jokes are funny. just like when i was joking with the y'alls homophobes.

also the thought of two hetero girls getting freaky doesn't bother me none.

[joke] however it's not funny when raj makes weird comments regarding his relationship with howard.[/joke]

Except penny doesn't like Amy like that or anyway, the jokes aren't really funny because they sure no purpose or have anything to do with the plot or episode.

Amy forced herself upon Penny, so Penny just accepted it.

we never saw Penny hanging out with girl friends before, so it's kinda funny to see her interact with "nerd girls" as she does with the nerd guys.

By this point maybe she likes seeing the change in Amy, she seems more human and less robotic than she was when she first joined the show. Penny can take pleasure knowing she played a part in coercing that change.