The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rickfromillinois

Leonard could do better.

Why is Leonard pursuing Penny besides her looks? Does it make any sense for a PHD in Physics to date someone who dropped out of community college and who gets intoxicated allot on the show? Pria was a high end lawyer, was attractive, and seemed to have much more in common with Leonard then Penny does. In addition Penny complained that she had tried to make some changes to Leonard and he refused but he did them for Pria. It seems obvious to me that Pria is a much better match for Leonard and they can bring back Penny's old boy friend Zach for her.

Penny is smart too, but because she's also pretty guys think they could get away with anything. Which is not the case. So I think she's good for Leonard..no need for Prya...who imho was a bit bitchy. They just need to fnd a girl for Raj...

Penny is smart too? Then why does she keep making stupid choices? Why did she steal from the good-will box? Why do they show her so often drinking too much and making poor choices like trying to do the deed with Raj? And just what is it that guys are trying to "get away with" concerning Penny that they don't actually "get away with"?

I don't see where Pria was "bitchy". The only thing that she did that might be interpreted that way was to tell Leonard to stop hanging out with his old girlfriend, which I think is perfectly understandable, and not telling Leonard that she was moving back to India, which seems to me to be more of her being afraid of his reaction then her being "bitchy". Penny has done much worse.

The fact remains that Leonard is highly educated and seems much more interested in intellectual pursuits while Penny seems to be more interested in the hedonistic. As a long term companion Penny seems to be a poor choice. Remember when Pria and Leonard were quoting Shakespeare to each other? They were obviously enjoying themselves. Penny the actress seemed totally lost as to what was going on.

Penny is good for Leonard. She accepts him how he is and she has no problem with the fact that he´s a nerd ,she understands it.

But Priya doesn`t understand it thats what I think. And she doesn`t fit in this group of nerds. (but Penny does!)

And I didn`t like it, that she tried to change Leonard (with new clothes and contact lenses) ´cause why should Leonard change thats ridiculous. I like him in nerd shirts and with glasses.

Then in this episode with this Zarnecki guy. Oh please there I really saw how she doesn`t fit in this group at all. The guys helped Sheldon to get back his stuff and she didn`t understand it...and Sheldon didn`t like Priya at all and I totally understood him. (Leslie Winkle was much much better! and no compare to Priya!)

If Leonard should meet with another girl then Leslie Winkle. She´s cool! Or this Alice he´s met at the comic book store that was a cool girl too.

I was happy as Priya went back to India. She can stay there forever.

Really? Penny was complaining that she tried to change Leonard and it didn't work. So somehow Penny is good because she couldn't change him and Priya is bad because she could? Perhaps Leonard valued Priya's opinion more then he did Penny's.

As for the Priya not getting along with Sheldon, it's because she doesn't put up with Sheldon's crap. A big point in her favor as far as Leonard is concerned IMO. As for Leslie Winkle getting along better with Sheldon the Priya did, you have to be kidding. Did you ever see Leslie Winkle ever be even civil to Sheldon? Even once? Priya was always polite to Sheldon unless he tried to pull something using the room mates agreement, then she shot him down. Boy does that make her a bad person.

Leslie Winkle is was a dog and Priya was much better looking and much more of an amiable person then Leslie Winkle.

Penny is smart too? Then why does she keep making stupid choices? Why did she steal from the good-will box? Why do they show her so often drinking too much and making poor choices like trying to do the deed with Raj? And just what is it that guys are trying to "get away with" concerning Penny that they don't actually "get away with"?

I don't see where Pria was "bitchy". The only thing that she did that might be interpreted that way was to tell Leonard to stop hanging out with his old girlfriend, which I think is perfectly understandable, and not telling Leonard that she was moving back to India, which seems to me to be more of her being afraid of his reaction then her being "bitchy". Penny has done much worse.

The fact remains that Leonard is highly educated and seems much more interested in intellectual pursuits while Penny seems to be more interested in the hedonistic. As a long term companion Penny seems to be a poor choice. Remember when Pria and Leonard were quoting Shakespeare to each other? They were obviously enjoying themselves. Penny the actress seemed totally lost as to what was going on.

The point I was trying to make is that people can change...in this case Penny can change and become more aware of the bad choices she makes. As far as acting is concerned she is yet a beginner.

I wouldn't call Priya a bitch exactly, but I did see her as a user who had too high an opinion of herself. She tangled with Sheldon because he was the only real threat to her "alpha" status in the group. (By contrast, Penny only yanks Sheldon's chain for fun or to establish reasonable boundaries.) Priya was using Leonard for convenient sex while in LA, tried to make him over cosmetically into someone who wouldn't embarrass her and was condescending to the others. I don't think she ever had any intention of taking the relationship with Leonard anywhere. She also clearly didn't have any respect her brother at all. I'm glad she's gone.

But I also don't think Leslie was right for Leonard (or anyone, for that matter). Again, she was just using him for sexual gratification. Always taking, and never giving anything back emotionally. Leonard deserves better.

The best girlfriend Leonard's had so far has been the doctor (sorry, her name escapes me for the moment) - intelligent, warm, caring, interested in Leonard for himself.

She tangled with Sheldon because Sheldon behaves like a spoiled child who has to have everything his way. The only thing that she did "wrong" in her dealings with him was that when he pushed, she pushed back. That is not fighting over the alpha position, that's sticking up for yourself and in her case, her boyfriend.

As for Priya trying to change Leonard, her biggest fault in that category was that she was successful and Penny wasn't when she tried the same thing.

I do agree that the MD was a better match then both Penny and Priya. I had overlooked her since Priya was the most recent. She did have much more going for her both as a person and a professional. I stand corrected.

If Penny is unfamiliar with Shakespeare then she has a whole lot more to learn as an actress.

I forgot to comment on Priya not having any respect for Raj. This is the guy who has a female star trek uniform that he sometimes wears. I don't have any respect for him either. I can buy off on a star trek uniform. I can even buy off on a guy who likes to wear female clothes occasionally. To each their own. But not both. And this man love thing he has going with Howard is just strange.

I wouldn't call Priya a bitch exactly, but I did see her as a user who had too high an opinion of herself. She tangled with Sheldon because he was the only real threat to her "alpha" status in the group. (By contrast, Penny only yanks Sheldon's chain for fun or to establish reasonable boundaries.) Priya was using Leonard for convenient sex while in LA, tried to make him over cosmetically into someone who wouldn't embarrass her and was condescending to the others. I don't think she ever had any intention of taking the relationship with Leonard anywhere. She also clearly didn't have any respect her brother at all. I'm glad she's gone.

But I also don't think Leslie was right for Leonard (or anyone, for that matter). Again, she was just using him for sexual gratification. Always taking, and never giving anything back emotionally. Leonard deserves better.

The best girlfriend Leonard's had so far has been the doctor (sorry, her name escapes me for the moment) - intelligent, warm, caring, interested in Leonard for himself.

I agree... Also Priya's biggest fault was having a sneaky one with her ex.

And Penny is not as dumb as she appears.

Penny has a problem with drinking. You can argue all you want but she does. When she drinks she does stupid things. She also has a problem with spending money she doesn't have on crap she doesn't need. Then there is the whole deal about her stealing from the good-will box. Say what you will about Priya, I don't remember her ever saying anything bad about Penny but there was plenty of evidence that Penny was taking cheap shots at her with Bernadette and Amy. Is that what some might call "bitchy"?

Frankly Penny has way too much baggage and too little going for her for Leonard to even think about having a long term relationship with. She is a good looking party girl now. 15-20 years from she will just be a worn out bar fly if she doesn't change her ways. Not exactly a career enhancing choice for Leonard.

You mean Stephanie Barnette? Yeah she was nice.

You mean Stephanie Barnette? Yeah she was nice.

Yes, her! I liked her too. Did they ever say why they wrote her off? I wonder if the writers might have thought the relationship was a deadend, comedically speaking, because there really wasn't any conflict there?

Penny has a problem with drinking. You can argue all you want but she does. When she drinks she does stupid things. She also has a problem with spending money she doesn't have on crap she doesn't need.

I actually agree with you on this point. I raised Penny's drinking in another thread and was shot down, but it is a very real problem that I wish they would address on the show instead of just acting like it's normal.

Say what you will about Priya, I don't remember her ever saying anything bad about Penny but there was plenty of evidence that Penny was taking cheap shots at her with Bernadette and Amy. Is that what some might call "bitchy"?

I wouldn't exactly call Priya a "bitch" (and I agree that Penny and the others were acting more "bitchily" than she), but she was fairly passive aggressive towards Penny.

Frankly Penny has way too much baggage and too little going for her for Leonard to even think about having a long term relationship with. She is a good looking party girl now. 15-20 years from she will just be a worn out bar fly if she doesn't change her ways. Not exactly a career enhancing choice for Leonard.

Exactly right. And Leonard, if he stays on his current path, will end up a needy, clingy, resentful little man who would only end up blaming Penny (or even Priya, if he was to get back with her) for his life's failures. Neither of them is in a place right now where they can have a healthy relationship with anyone, much less each other.

I don't see where Leonard really has much of a problem either career wise or in his personal life either for that matter. He has a Phd in Physics and works at one of the nations top Universities. As a matter of fact the largest problem that he has with his career is listening to Sheldon constantly belittling his work, just as he belittles everyone else's work. Since the luckiest day of his life when Penny dumped him he has dated another physicist, an MD, and a lawyer. Penny dated Zach, another Zach clone, and whoever she managed to pickup in a bar when she, Bernadette, and Amy went looking for a guy to have sex with and then bite him on his butt.

It was a mistake for Leonard to ask Penny out again. He now knows that he can do much better and instead of fixating on the one who got away he should thank God that she did and find someone who is better suited to him instead of some frivolous lush.

Except Stephanie also tried to change Leonard, and often without telling him. She pretty much redecorated his room (moved in without discussing, changed his bedsheets, put up her photos, got rid of his bat signal, etc.), picked out clothes for him, and pushed the relationship at the pace she wanted to go at. Leonard was clearly uncomfortable with how fast they were going, but she didn't want to hear it when he tried to talk to her about it. Not to mention throughout the entire episode, he was complaining about the clothes she made him wear (at least with Priya, he didn't mind the new clothes). Don't get me wrong, I loved Stephanie, I'm just saying that Stephanie wasn't perfect either. In that kind of sense, Penny does seem good for Leonard in the sense that she understands that there needs to be a give and take in a relationship, whereas in Leonard's relationships with both Stephanie and Priya, he was being walked all over.

Right now in my eyes, Leonard and Penny moved way too fast in their relationship in Season 3, and it was centered around sex, but since they got back together, they at least understood that if they want to make things work, they have to slow things down and actually work other aspects of their relationship. So for the moment, I'm waiting to see what the writers have in store for them, because I do see them going in a good direction and they are starting to develop good chemistry, but still early to tell. Just because she's not as successful in her career as Leonard, it doesn't mean that she's not a suitable partner for him. In their relationship, I could see that they could fill each other's emotional needs better than anyone else either of them had dated. Maybe after their relationship stabilizes some more, Penny will stop getting drunk so much, and maybe Leonard will gain more confidence and less clingy as they rebuild their trust in each other, which we can kind of see happening already.

I know you believe that Penny dumping Leonard was the luckiest day in his life. But his character wouldn't. Leonard is smitten with her in a big way. She's uneducated, and likes a drink but he can't help himself. He's tried to have other girlfriends but he keeps going back. I understand your reasons for why you believe he could do much better, but people don't always make reasoned choices (unless we are talking Sheldon) they think with their hearts and sometimes their libido's.

Penny is a waitress who can't act to save her life, and has no direction at all. Logically speaking, Leonard shouldn't even bother with her but he believes he's not good enough! This guy is 'off the planet' smart, amazingly tolerant of his crazy roommate, who he should have moved on from years ago, But he doesn't, he sticks around because he loves these people. And this is the single most likeable thing about Leonard! If you took that away he wouldn't be who he is.

Leonard is thinking with something besides his brain. He is also fixated on the girl who dumped him. Two major mistakes if he is considering someone who he would like to have a long term relationship with. If all he wants is someone that he can have a tumble with for the here and now, more power to him. But if he is looking for someone that in 20 or 30 years he can still feel the same, move on buddy and don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.

Well, as Sheldon said in the episode where he tries to blow up Leonard's head.

"Libido one, truth zero"

There is NO SUCH THING as a PERFECT relationship. That said, "The heart wants, what the heart wants..."

Penny really wants Leonard and visa versa, and as in almost all human relationships the major obstacle is communication.

Penny fears committing too soon and Leonard is too inexperienced to play the games people play to prolong the non-committal period of a relationship. THEY NEED TO TALK!

The biggest problem with ALL the other relationships has been "Balance of power". All the other women he has had serious relationships with have fallen into the trap that the majority of women fall into with men: They see a man they are attracted to, but then overlay that image with the affectations of their ideal man and then begin to try to make adjustments to appearance, behaviour and peripheral relationships in order to take possession of their (fictional) ideal man. The problem is that these adjustments almost always change the basic person way from what they saw in the first instance, which at best means a whole lot more work to make the relationship work and at worst will alienate the changed individual from the one doing the changing.

People change, but it must be of their own free will and a two way street. I think it is pretty obvious that with Stephanie and Priya it was far from a two way street. Those relationships were ALWAYS DOOMED, firstly because Leonard has always wanted Penny and secondly because the power in the relationships was NEVER balanced

I choose not to mention Leslie Winkle, because she was never really a serious relationship in my opinion. Leonard ended up with her briefly because they happened to be in the right place at the right time (kind of like The Titanic and an iceberg...).

That’s my contribution :)

Yet Leonard can do better then Penny. She is singularly unsuited for the role as wife for a scientist.

I have no doubt that you are correct. However, next time you see a friend who is in love, try telling them "You can do better." see what reaction you get.

Consider how you would feel in that position.

The fact is even in a fictional comedy series, people do not choose the ones they love based on logic, or how well the will fit in with their life and persuits.

Thats why it is called "Love" NOT "Logic"

;)

• Like 1

Absolutely, Leonard ain't listening, he wants her.

I'd like to see her find direction though. Something that could earn her an income, like the Penny Blossom idea but practical long term. She's only 22 and at that age, all I did was get drunk and get laid too. It didn't stop me from ending up with a decent career.

Yet Leonard can do better then Penny. She is singularly unsuited for the role as wife for a scientist.

I have no doubt that you are correct. However, next time you see a friend who is in love, try telling them "You can do better." see what reaction you get.

Consider how you would feel in that position.

The fact is even in a fictional comedy series, people do not choose the ones they love based on logic, or how well the will fit in with their life and persuits.

Thats why it is called "Love" NOT "Logic"

;)

Yeah, there's love and there's stupid. Too bad a stripper didn't move across the hall. At the next faculty dinner she could entertain everyone with a pole dance.

Yeah, there's love and there's stupid. Too bad a stripper didn't move across the hall. At the next faculty dinner she could entertain everyone with a pole dance.

MwBTO.gif